Hybrid View

Community Member

Default Performance issues in latest client/patch?

Hey all,

I already made a post in the technical issues (view it here : https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...-latest-update ) but I'm going to post again here in case the somewhat long route one has to take to view the technical issues forum now is preventing the people that need to read it from, well, reading it. XD

But has anyone else noticed performance issues since the patch Monday? Like I said in my other post, my framerate drops to 0 every 6-7 seconds, completely regardless of what is going on in the game...even just standing still on an empty airship.

Wondering if others have noticed something like this as well?

Community Member

Yep, exactly as you described

Community Member

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by relakks View Post
    Yep, exactly as you described
    Thanks for confirming I'm not the only one...helps lessen my own paranoia. Would be curious to see if you folks /w high end machines are getting hits to you frame rates as well in 6-second intervals (CTRL-F to turn on frame rate display).

But in all seriousness, this started happening with this latest 'patch' on Monday and has rendered DDO neigh unplayable for me. I mean Every 6 seconds my client freezes for a moment and I can't respond or react to anything (But don't worry, the monsters can still attack me while I'm waiting for my frame rate to cycle back up)..It's frustrating to say the least. Any input from the devs here? Like something I can turn off to mitigate this, or when I can expect a patch that might fix this?

I know you guys have a lot of irons in the fire right now, but whatever you guys did this Monday has taken away my ability to play the game. I've filled out a bug report already, and I'm totally willing to work with the devs to try things out/collect data to resolve this.

Otherwise if it isn't something that is going to get fixed, I guess I'm done playing DDO.

(I don't want to be done playing DDO)

For reference, no, my frame rate isn't dropping periodically.

Given the timing, I wonder if it's related to some ability/ED/gear your character has, that is perhaps causing a problem after the patch?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by NiborRis View Post
    For reference, no, my frame rate isn't dropping periodically.

Given the timing, I wonder if it's related to some ability/ED/gear your character has, that is perhaps causing a problem after the patch?
    I agree. Op I'm not suffering this, nor is my wife. I have heard no rublings of such from guildies either.

Where (quest, city, house?) are you having this happen.
    What destiny are you in?
    What buffs do you have active?
    What buffs are others giving you?
    Where are you physically located in the world? (granted this seriously sounds like client lag and not network lag)
    What class/multi class are you?
    Do you still have it happen when you are stripped naked? (gear ponderment)
    What server are you on? (I'm on Thel.)

At a first guess, given the periodic nature of your frame drops (and that someone else is also suffering this) I would guess that you have file corruption happened/happening so that when a particular buff happens to you every 6 seconds, the client can't understand what the heck it is reading and has to fail out of the issue in order to continue. This fail drop would cause frame drops more than likely.

If it is file corruption, the only "fix" I know of is to re install the game.

Quote Originally Posted by MissingMinds View Post

At a first guess, given the periodic nature of your frame drops (and that someone else is also suffering this) I would guess that you have file corruption happened/happening so that when a particular buff happens to you every 6 seconds, the client can't understand what the heck it is reading and has to fail out of the issue in order to continue. This fail drop would cause frame drops more than likely.

If it is file corruption, the only "fix" I know of is to re install the game.
    I assume file corruption would probably lead outright to a crash of DDO. Anyhow some other interesting questions are:
    - Are you located in the US/Europa/Asia (as it might be a network issue)
    - Maybe your Antivirus got also updated in the background?
    - Maybe the Turbine launcher try downloading and contacting the server in the background (access the launcher options add limit the bandwith)
    - You have other programs open in the background? (e.g. the webbrowser on the second screen which has a refresh on a page)
    - Do you use a cablemodem/router? E.g. did you try to reboot those
    * We have collectable bags, hell even hireling folders, but can I have that 6-pack for my potions please?
    * Having already a past life on the dieng EU servers, I rerolled here and started from scratch as I like the game and the community, so lets see what awaits me here

Community Member

I'll try to answer these as best I can. Remember that prior to Monday's patch, this did not occur. Also, I've logged in multiple characters (with varying gear), and the frame rate collapse occurs the same on all so far.

Quote Originally Posted by MissingMinds View Post
    Where (quest, city, house?) are you having this happen.
    Anywhere. And I mean anywhere. Onboard an empty airship, in GH proper, Ruins of GH, MP, etc. etc. etc. So it doesn't appear to be location related.

What destiny are you in?
    None -- Don't have Epic destinies

What buffs do you have active?
    Varies with the character I guess. Currently has none, but did have Sentinel's bulwark, Denieth Defender and Jorasco healing.

What buffs are others giving you?
    None -- as stated occurs even when unbuffed on an empty (except for me) Airship.

What class/multi class are you?
    Rogue 5, Bard 5, Barb 5. Was the same before the patch

Do you still have it happen when you are stripped naked? (gear ponderment)
    Haven't tried this yet, but when when I get home.

What server are you on? (I'm on Thel.)
    Sarlona.

Is there a tool in DDO that a player can run to scan for corruption?

Community Member

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by SirTarlanon View Post
    Hey all,

I already made a post in the technical issues (view it here : https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...-latest-update ) but I'm going to post again here in case the somewhat long route one has to take to view the technical issues forum now is preventing the people that need to read it from, well, reading it. XD

But has anyone else noticed performance issues since the patch Monday? Like I said in my other post, my framerate drops to 0 every 6-7 seconds, completely regardless of what is going on in the game...even just standing still on an empty airship.

I keep getting disconnected on a regular basis. This has never been an issue for me until after this recent server update .

Quote Originally Posted by ~SirTarlanon View Post
    Hey all,

Hey. I had the exact same problem some month ago. Pando Media Booster was to blame. Every few seconds it throttled the CPU and lagged pretty much everything. Uninstalling that piece of **** worked. Try checking your Task Manager for something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by ~sirtarlanon View Post
    hey all,

i already made a post in the technical issues (view it here : https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...-latest-update ) but i'm going to post again here in case the somewhat long route one has to take to view the technical issues forum now is preventing the people that need to read it from, well, reading it. Xd

but has anyone else noticed performance issues since the patch monday? Like i said in my other post, my framerate drops to 0 every 6-7 seconds, completely regardless of what is going on in the game...even just standing still on an empty airship.

wai

I keep seeing people saying Oh yeah a SSD fixed the issue!!! So you mean to tell me not only does this game coding suck, but now they make it suck so bad that I need spend money on a SSD just to get it to work decently?

Community Member

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by lamborgini View Post
    I keep seeing people saying Oh yeah a SSD fixed the issue!!! So you mean to tell me not only does this game coding suck, but now they make it suck so bad that I need spend money on a SSD just to get it to work decently?
    Oh I do believe it sucks that SSD fixes the ddo data file fragmentation issues. Turbine was working on a tool for that that became vaporware. My laptop cracked into pieces in an accident, but the SSD survived.

Community Member

Default Adding my input

I have been having the same frame rate drop issue as the original poster. I am running a dual core processor with decent graphics and ram etc, i cant remember names and numbers cause my memory sucks for details.

I permanently have frame rate on the screen in every game I play. I just like to keep an eye on it so i know if something is different when i load a game up.
    With DDO i have noticed this exact problem start small and slowly get worse. My frame rate used to sit perfectly stable 180 on maxed settings just 2 years ago. Now im lucky if I can get 80-90 on mid settings, and it gets worse with every patch.

Now some time ago maybe 6 -8 months ago i noticed a regular frame rate drop that i could never figure out. No biggie i thought cause it was only dropping by 20fps. Not an issue when you start close to 100, though its a pretty obvious and disturbing problem so i have been keeping an eye on it.
    The drop in frame rate has got worse with every patch. With the last couple patches the frame rate has started dropping by about 70fps or more....EVERY 6 SECONDS....
    So even on my computer, which admittedly is starting to get a little old but can still run BF3 at a solid 55fps, I am dropping to around 10fps every 6 seconds with 100% usage spikes on both processor cores.

This problem has persisted through multiple client redownloads and reinstalls, several complete PC formats while on windows SP3. And is still happening now running windows 7.

Now Im no I.T. guy by any means. But all this suggests pretty strongly that this is a problem that is consistantly getting worse and needs to be fixed by turbine. I doubt that there is anything you can do client side that is going to help, except maybe upgrading to a full gaming rig that can brute force the frame rate to playable lvls, but how many of us can afford to do that(again in my case).

While I'm here posting i might as well go on to say that after the problems with the last couple patches involving missing items and such, plus the massive influx of bug reports from U18, I am actually scared to start the game client atm so I have not seen what the game is doing in update 18 yet. At this stage I'm not even sure i will be logging on to DDO ever again if I do not start seeing posts of things being fixed.
    This all comes on top of the fact that I cancelled my VIP some months ago and found out today that I am still getting charged.

And not you cant have my stuff because, well... everything worth having these days is BTC on equip.