Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Community Member

made a vid showing the issue. alone on the ship just holding the turn button

please fix it turbine, game is unplayable for those of us affected
    Last edited by relakks; 05-04-2013 at 03:52 PM.

Community Member

Curious. Are these PC desktop or laptop?

What graphics chip, and what driver version (date please)

Could be a matter of packet data being sent/received from account servers are also fragmented. With all the recent work done to forum changes and account info this has caused serious latency, and packet loss% for me as of lately. I have tried testing broadband connection with perfect results, except when connecting to Comcast server located in Boston which gave poor download speeds most of the time. Hardware and or related drivers can/or may be part of the problem as well, considering the constant coding changes done by Turbine's staff. Cancelling all backround programs as well as firewall or AV has never has any effect on game performance for me, nor does changing most of the graphics settings.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by MissingMinds View Post
    Curious. Are these PC desktop or laptop?

What graphics chip, and what driver version (date please)
    This happens on both of my computers (desktops)

Asus P4P800 SE (motherboard)
    Intel P4 2,66 GHz
    2 gb ram
    Radeon X850
    Windows XP, very fresh install, all service packs and updates

Drivrutinens förpackningsversion 8.593.100-100210a-095952E-ATI
    Catalyst™-version 10.2
    Leverantör ATI Technologies Inc.
    2D-drivrutinsversion 6.14.10.6925
    Sökväg för 2D-drivrutin System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Video/{85DAB5DB-69FA-4690-8C58-56F257313BA0}/0000
    Direct3D-version 6.14.10.0647
    OpenGL-version 6.14.10.8545
    Catalyst™ Control Center-version 2010.0210.2339.42455
    Drivrutinsversion för AIW/VIVO WDM 6.14.10.6238
    Drivrutinsversion för AIW/VIVO WDM SP 6.14.10.6238
    Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
    AMD A64 3500+ (2.2 GHz or something)
    2 gb ram
    Radeon HD3800
    Windows XP. very old install, all updates and servicepacks

original driver
    Driver Packaging Version 8.961-120405a-137814C-ATI
    Catalyst™ Version 12.4
    Provider AMD.
    2D Driver Version 6.14.10.7261
    2D Driver File Path System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Video/{B3F65AFE-30B4-49FB-B469-D138AB972903}/0000
    Direct3D Version 6.14.10.0903
    OpenGL Version 6.14.10.11631
    Catalyst™ Control Center Version 2012.0405.2154.37503
    upgraded to latest beta version today. no change, still have fps drops
    Driver Packaging Version 8.97.100-130424a-156444E-ATI
    Catalyst™ Version 13.4
    Provider AMD.
    2D Driver Version 6.14.10.7267
    2D Driver File Path System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Video/{B3F65AFE-30B4-49FB-B469-D138AB972903}/0000
    Direct3D Version 6.14.10.0911
    OpenGL Version 6.14.10.11672
    Catalyst™ Control Center Version 2013.0424.1155.19491
    gonna reinstall #2 with win 7 now and see if there is any difference

Community Member

A while ago after a patch I noticed my performance going way down and also my notebook's fan starting to go up a notch or two. Turned out that somehow DDO suddenly decided to run on DX11 instead of DX9. After I set it back to DX9 all was fine again.

I think I'd never checked my graphics setting if a guildie hadn't advised me to, because I didn't expect this to be the reason because I didn't change anything - DDO did it on its own.

It's probably not the cause of the problem you're describing, just adding this for everyone else how may have trouble.

Community Member

So i formatted #2

* installed win 7
    * got all the latest windows updates
    * installed fresh drivers, gfx, nforce chipset, sound card etc
    * installed ddo, fresh pando download

still the same...

tried both high and low gfx settings (ingame), disabling game sound, changing the max fps to a set number, changing engine speed, changing connection speed. connected computer straight to the broadband jack bypassing the router.

nothing helps.

game is running in dx9, i have dx11 installed but can't change it, suppose the HD3800 doesn't support it

and yes.. this never happened before the patch on the 29th april

Community Member

Default Experiencing Same Issue

Yes, I'm also seeing the Frame-Rate drop. I've seen this in the previous year, after U14 came out. I dealt with it until another patch came along that resolved it. So I didn't make a post regarding it.

This time it's more annoying and glad I've found a post regarding it. I believe it has something to do with the DDO client. I troubleshooted with about 20 various different methods of what I thought would help, all with no results. The FPS (mine sits at about 30) will drop to almost 0, which gives what I call "Stutter-Lag".

By watching the windows task-manager, I can see the jump in Page Faults, so my theory is this:

There is some part of DDO in the computer memory that creates a page fault. The DDO client then has to retrieve some file(s) from the hard disk files, to resume the file in memory. I don't have any Solid State drives, so I can guess that some users might not notice this if they have a SSD. If the file on the hard disk is accessed fast enough, then the CPU may not spike up when retrieving the file.

I let my DDO client just sit for a while doing nothing. I had no other programs running. Literally most background processes and programs were turned off. I made a snapshot of my task manager showing the CPU spikes the DDO client creates. My CPU% when DDO is running averages around 50%. My CPU usage spikes to 100% when the client FPS does its drop. So you can see in my image the consistent cycles of the CPU spikes.

Last edited by Firekragg; 05-04-2013 at 10:02 PM.

Community Member

You have vsync turned on. Turn it off.

I've had this day since day one for me. I always thought it was just ddo. Couple of computers, wide variety of video settings. Are you telling me everybody doesnt get this constant hitching?

Edit: after reading your post instead of just watching your video, i see your problem is a bit deeper as its a regular cycle. Nevermind
    Last edited by khamastus; 05-05-2013 at 08:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by teh_meh View Post
    1337 x Pi = 80081E5

I am having a similar issue after the last update DDO uses up all my ram I know my system is old I am running an Intel Core 2 Q6600 2.4 ghz with 4gb of ram and a geforce gtx 570 running windows 7. So hopefully there;s some kind of fix coming for this because it really does make it hard to stay in the game. Having it lag out and jump around like that kinda takes the fun out of it.

Im runnin an i5, 8GB RAM, Radeon HD 5400 and high speed cable ISP. In most cases, it's not the machine. It will either be Your ISP, Turbine's ISP or the server. There are plenty of issues you can write off to your machine but this isnt one of them. This is happening to everyone so it's down to Turbine's ISP The Server itself or the memory leak they've been shown but are doing nothing about that would eliminate 90% of lag.

I know that sounds accusatory but if I were Turbine and some one showed me 4 lines of code and told me this is the fix, I would be doing testing to make sure it wasn't a hack attempt or ignore it altogether as a security issue (as they have done). No it wasn't me who found and showed them the error.

But they really need to be asking themselves how many people are going to leave and how many people are only going to stay F2P if they dont start fixing things. I'm a big DDO supporter since the alternatives REALLY stink (my own opinion) but They are going to hurt themselves if something isnt done and done soon.

Edit was to correct spelling errs
    Last edited by Grumpycat; 05-05-2013 at 09:31 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by atomicmew3 View Post
    You have vsync turned on. Turn it off.
    Nah, just a coincidence that fps hovers around 60 in the video

Community Member

First off, thanks for getting that Vid up Relakks. What you show there is *exactly* what happens to me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpycat View Post

But they really need to be asking themselves how many people are going to leave and how many people are only going to stay F2P if they dont start fixing things. I'm a big DDO supporter since the alternatives REALLY stink (my own opinion) but They are going to hurt themselves if something isnt done and done soon.
    And well said Grumpycat. Whatever they did to enable those ribbons is causing this issue, since this issue didn't exist for me before that 'patch'. I haven't played DDO since that Monday patch went live, and I won't be until it gets fixed. Which also means I won't be buying any more Turbine points. It's as simple as that.

The fact that the devs have been mum on this is...disappointing to say the least. But if they want to ever see another dime from me they need to fix this issue. Whether it is re-writing the code that causes it, or offering an option (either in the menu or a setting in the .ini) to disable it, it needs to get done.

If they fix it, I'll play DDO again because I do like the game. Which will mean I'll spend $$ in the DDO store again. Everyone wins.
    Last edited by SirTarlanon; 05-06-2013 at 11:56 AM. Reason: the ys have it

Community Member

Default hrm.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpycat View Post
    Im runnin an i5, 8GB RAM, Radeon HD 5400 and high speed cable ISP. In most cases, it's not the machine. It will either be Your ISP, Turbine's ISP or the server. There are plenty of issues you can write off to your machine but this isnt one of them. This is happening to everyone so it's down to Turbine's ISP The Server itself or the memory leak they've been shown but are doing nothing about that would eliminate 90% of lag.

I know that sounds accusatory but if I were Turbine and some one showed me 4 lines of code and told me this is the fix, I would be doing testing to make sure it wasn't a hack attempt or ignore it altogether as a security issue (as they have done). No it wasn't me who found and showed them the error.

Edit was to correct spelling errs

/looks at Grumpy with twinkle in eye

/says, do I know you? You look mighty familiar.

/likes what Grumpy says.
    Quote Originally Posted by Codog View Post
    [*]Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.

Having the same issues and thought it was just me. I use CleanMem to keep an eye on memory and file cache and ever since Monday's update for those ribbons, it's been a lag fest due to hiked up resource hog.
    Clearing the memory and file cache fixes it for maybe 30 seconds until DDO hogs the resources again. I had absolutely no issues before the update.

I don't know what Turbine shoved in the game with that update but it's a very nice resource hog.
    DDO-Europe 2006/2010 - Aureon/Keeper

I'm blunt as a rock and can seem aggressive because of it. Be aware of that when reading my posts.

Community Member

I still disagree with some posters that think this is a server issue. The only sort of data that could cause that sort of a stop would be in the lines of constant mail, newly allocated TP, application and/or removal of multipule proficiencies (see old style Master's Touch), and the like.

The fact it is so cyclic made me think it was corrupt files, or antivirus kicking in. But players are saying they turn it off (something I may trust about 50% of the time. Normally anti virus you can tell them to "not monitor this directory/file" also.)

Another pondering (which is unlikely given the number of people afflicted) is the idea of personal hardware failing. It could have results like this, but with the number of people claiming such, I doubt it.

For those of you running ATI drivers, did you uncheck "stenciled shadows" and does it still exist?

Also with a cyclical as it is, I half wonder if the graphics card is near timing out so is reloading way more often than it should. Try reverting drivers. I'm running on drivers that are... probably close to 2 years out of date for mine (I also don't have latest and greatest card) but I've never had these issues.
    We also know for fact that recent updates to the drivers just do not work well for DDO at all. I would guess going back about... 6 months would be a good start.

Also, Microsoft has put out several updates as of late that have messed up people. That could be a source also, but I would expect a farther reaction reaction than just a singular game.

side note: don't install DDO to "program files" permissions issues crop up which effect performance.

I wish you guys luck and I'm just about out of ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by MissingMinds View Post
    snip snip
    - My Nvidia graphic card runs the latest Tomb Raider without a glitch... doesn't heat up half of what it does with DDO and the resource usage is half of DDO's - I doubt it's my card.
    - The problems only started after the update - I doubt it's my card.
    - I monitor resource usage and memory usage, and it shot up after the update whenever I'm running DDO - I doubt it's my card.
    - Not going to revert my graphic driver when it was working perfectly until the update - I doubt it's my card.
    - No Microsoft update gets installed without my permission, I'm not stupid to let it update on its own.
    - DDO has been in my "Program Files" for over 6 years (with a few re-installs after formatting the drive over time) without a problem - I doubt it's that.

Something in that update is reacting bad with some people's rigs... that's all there is to it.
    DDO-Europe 2006/2010 - Aureon/Keeper

I'm blunt as a rock and can seem aggressive because of it. Be aware of that when reading my posts.

Lucky to have the same probs since the latest update.
    I was worried my engine broke, but I see the symptoms are like those from relakks and SirTarlanon.
    I could make a screenshot like Firekragg did showing the same.

Now the computer is clean like a new one, got the latest drivers, a new DDO download and the game is even on casual challenging.. especially for my nerves

Hope it will be fixed at the first opportunity!

[Aussir]- No Microsoft update gets installed without my permission, I'm not stupid to let it update on its own.
    Last edited by Edwardt; 05-07-2013 at 12:59 PM.

Community Member

One last idea I had. It won't solve anything, but could get more clues. If you are running Win 7, there is another tool you can use called "Resource Monitor"

You can select the dndclient.exe on the disk tab to see just what files it may be trying to access constantly, if it is doing disk access. (which I'd think it would be) It won't tell you wht parts of them, but at least give a clue as to which possibilities.

standing around on my ship, eventually, all disk file access for the game went away and wasn't pulling up again. Granted this means a ship or location that won't be reading in new textures (spells, buffs, other characters) but you should be able to find a location like that easy enough. (I wanted to test this myself so a datapoint could be had.)

Default Pmb?

Just a thought, but could it be Pando Media Booster kicking in and causing this?
    "Some men see things as they are and say why - I dream things that never were and say why not." -- George Bernard Shaw

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast