Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Aussir View Post
    BUMP.

Can we get a sticky or do we have to keep bumping this thread/make a new one every couple of days?
    Aussir, I am surprised none of your format changes still don't include widening the main area it's still narrow. That's the first thing I think people started talking about when Turbine did it's new forum release, then the colors then the log-in issues.

I check your updates once in a while to see if you changed the narrow part of it but you seem to prefer it that way yourself?

As far as *bumping* this thread, normally bumping threads is a no-no on many sites. If the thread is good it will be bumped by others posting in it, no need to self-bump it imo.

I only have one other issue with your forum changes besides the narrow part and that is you are doing what Turbine did, you have all these lite-colored links on light colored backgrounds. I'll show you an image.

It's a full screenshot of your new white version (though your yellow version was a bit worse in this regard) of narrow main area and light on light.

Example --> clickie Notice all that wasted background (black areas) and the light on light text?

A lot of people use <color=yellow> green, blue, red, orange etc standard colors for "section headers" in posts or in highlighting parts of their signatures. Yellow text is especially hard to see in your light schema userscripts.

Also just now, with your white color-scheme the preview post and submit reply are hard to read as well.

Color-wise I think you need just a tiny bit more tweaking and the narrow main area too.

All of this is just my opinion you can ignore me if you choose, I won't mind.
    Last edited by Xanendor; 05-21-2013 at 07:02 PM.
    Xanendor's Experience Planner
    Official Thread -- Original Post -- Final Post
    Download - Version Three - Final - The One to rule them all!

Quote Originally Posted by Xanendor View Post
    Aussir, I am surprised none of your format changes still don't include widening the main area it's still narrow. That's the first thing I think people started talking about when Turbine did it's new forum release, then the colors then the log-in issues.
    Take into account that I hadn't touched CSS or web designing in general for a long time as it's not my main skill. My main skills fall into network administration and I don't tend to go around designing websites.

As for the "squashed look", I think I know what the issue is... correct me if wrong, but from your screenshot, you seem to be using a 4:1 screen. For me, the main area looks fine because it's not constrained by the smaller size of the screen as I use a 16:9 (widescreen). From what I could see, the whole site is optimized for widescreen in detriment of the "square" screens.

That could be the problem for several users as the forum will look as if someone squashed it while for 16:9 users, it looks completely normal. As soon as I have a little time, I can put out a version with a bigger area, more suitable for 4:1 screens at the expense of the background (it will get hidden).

The black area that you point out a bit down on your post, is the area where Turbine shoved the forum background. Being the "good job" that it is, it doesn't go all the way down to the bottom of the forum and thus, you end up with all encompassing darkness around the forum.

One way to change this, would be to place images to the bottom of the forum or place the forum in an iFrame that would allow us to scroll the forum itself while keeping the background static. Both options are prone to lag issues though and would have to be done by Turbine.

I only have one other issue with your forum changes besides the narrow part and that is you are doing what Turbine did, you have all these lite-colored links on light colored backgrounds. I'll show you an image.
    I have been trying to tackle those as they pop. You see, Turbine is making changes to the forum in the background.
    One day I got here and I couldn't read half of it even with the stylish theme on due to code changes in the CSS. I tackle those as soon as I spot them but unfortunately, I can't spend whole days looking at the forum's code.

Be careful with stylish though, as it allows you to have more than one style active and if you have more than one on, they will clash due to differences on how the CSS sheet is coded. For example, your "edited by" appears in green, but for me, it appears in grey, like so:

Here's how my "preview post" looks like:

I have gone through all the parts of the forum I've changed and the only issues are when trying to read anything that is user made with colors for the dark version of the forum. It's the user itself that sets those colors, not the CSS style. Some of the titles also look like neon on grey because the CSS sets them like that for the dark version of the forum. I can see what I can do about them.

I can see if the CSS will compute a rule to at least change all signatures to black letters or some other color that would be readable but I don't promise anything. Another option that I can look into, is to make the signature area a bit darker though I think that would look a bit strange.

Please do check if you have more than one theme active at the same time.

As for the bumps, I think one issue is that the thread title doesn't really pull people as not everyone knows what stylebot and stylish are. A title like "Alternative Forum Themes" would have probably pulled more people here. I have been advertising the thread when I see someone complaining about the forum style and I've noticed new hits though.
    Last edited by Aussir; 05-22-2013 at 10:26 AM.
    DDO-Europe 2006/2010 - Aureon/Keeper

I'm blunt as a rock and can seem aggressive because of it. Be aware of that when reading my posts.

... correct me if wrong, but from your screenshot, you seem to be using a 4:1 screen. For me, the main area looks fine because it's not constrained by the smaller size of the screen as I use a 16:1 (widescreen).
    To be honest I have no clue what mine is but I'm using a 23 inch widescreen at 1920x1080 res.

EDIT: I checked the manufacturer's website they said it's 16:9.

The black area that you point out a bit down on your post, is the area where Turbine shoved the forum background. Being the "good job" that it is, it doesn't go all the way down to the bottom of the forum and thus, you end up with all encompassing darkness around the forum.
    Yeah I wasn't referring to the black background missing an image - I prefer no image, I just meant as a way to show you all the blank space on either side of the "main area" showing that it's still narrow on my monitor.

Be careful with stylish though, as it allows you to have more than one style active and if you have more than one on, they will clash due to differences on how the CSS sheet is coded. For example, your "edited by" appears in green, but for me, it appears in grey, like so:
    I am normally very careful about that but yeah after I wrote that post I noticed I had two loaded. I did switch to just yours but other than the "edited by" there were still light on light such as the yellow from my signature as seen in your own screenshot. Again the "basic colors" red, green, yellow, blue etc are standard for highlights or section header colors. Maybe a background that allows those colors to be seen well. Custom colors people pick well, you can't account for that obviously, but the "basic" colors should work imo.

Anyhow I do look forward to a "wider" version.

Thanks.

EDIT: Here's a full screen of my entire browser window. That "black" space actually would be even wider for me if I had the browser tabs at the top of the browser window like normal but I have them on the right side instead (vertical tabs) so they take up a portion of that area, about 2 1/4 inches worth.

full screen

3rd edit: Here's a full screen of what JJ's black look's like on mine:

JJ's

JJ's only has like 1/2inch or less on either side.

Be sure to click the images to see their full original size.

EDIT AGAIN: Let me say though that I did switch from JJ's black to your newer version - it's crisper and normally a black background is good but after a while it bothers my eyes all that white text on black background.

I just can't use yours at night or I'll go blind (when the room is dark and I'm reading in the dark I mean.)

So his at night and yours during the day. rofl
    Last edited by Xanendor; 05-21-2013 at 10:40 PM.

Not to compete with y'all or anything, but the style I'd posted originally (before JJ ran with it and improved it by a mile), is still available. I update it pretty regularly with little new bits I find that aren't quite right... many of the things y'all have mentioned here. Again, not trying to compete, but here it is in case anyone is interested...

http://stylebot.me/styles/2377

Oh, and don't go by the 'preview' screenshot, it's much better now as it includes many of JJ's fixes plus all of my own little tweaks.

Quote Originally Posted by BOgre View Post
    Not to compete with y'all or anything, but the style I'd posted originally (before JJ ran with it and improved it by a mile), is still available. I update it pretty regularly with little new bits I find that aren't quite right... many of the things y'all have mentioned here. Again, not trying to compete, but here it is in case anyone is interested...

http://stylebot.me/styles/2377

Oh, and don't go by the 'preview' screenshot, it's much better now as it includes many of JJ's fixes plus all of my own little tweaks.
    The more the merrier I say

@Xanendor I'll see if I have time tonight to make some changes to the theme.

EDIT: Since I still had a couple of minutes, I went over a few things. Some corrections have been uploaded to the new version of the theme and I uploaded this:

http://userstyles.org/styles/87942/d...r?r=1369228506

Forum area is 10% wider than the original.

I have looked into how to deal with signatures with funky colors and there are two options:

- Make the background darker. It does look weird due to the posting area borders.

- Force all signatures to have a single color.
    Last edited by Aussir; 05-22-2013 at 08:28 AM.

I'm blunt as a rock and can seem aggressive because of it. Be aware of that when reading my posts.

Well, if you forced signatures to be all one color then I think that visually it would be not as easy to discern separation - it just meshes all together from post to sig to next post to sig etc. And people do like their colors I guess.

Personally I can handle signature text being all one color with the signature area shaded a tad bit to separate it from the post itself.

Another option, not sure how this would look but what about forcing "bold" on the signature text and tinting the signature area slightly? People will be able to see the colors a bit better (maybe) while keeping their color choices.

/shrug

EDIT: I'm thinking the sample you showed up above of the grey background color for the signature area was to match the grey post header?

What if you made the signature grey a bit lighter while <bolding> the text?
    Last edited by Xanendor; 05-22-2013 at 09:46 AM.

Well, if you forced signatures to be all one color then I think that visually it would be not as easy to discern separation - it just meshes all together from post to sig to next post to sig etc. And people do like their colors I guess.
    I would make the sigs a different color than the post text of course. This was just an example.

Another option, not sure how this would look but what about forcing "bold" on the signature text and tinting the signature area slightly? People will be able to see the colors a bit better (maybe) while keeping their color choices.
    I can look into it.

EDIT: I'm thinking the sample you showed up above of the grey background color for the signature area was to match the grey post header?

What if you made the signature grey a bit lighter while <bolding> the text?
    It was just an example, I didn't have time to test different shades so I just put that color there to give an example of how it would look.

Also, was the 10% increase in forum area enough or does it still look squashed?

Edit: So, I played around a bit with colors and let me tell you, my eyes don't like yellow letters on anything not dark. It really likes to bite the eyes. Here are some examples:

Sorry about the tags, I keep forgetting to turn off the developer tabs before taking the screenshots.
    Last edited by Aussir; 05-22-2013 at 10:37 AM.

I would make the sigs a different color than the post text of course.

Also, was the 10% increase in forum area enough or does it still look squashed?
    Nope, looks much better thanks. Keep in mind though this is me looking at it with a 2 1/4 inch vertical tab bar in my browser; not sure how wide it would still appear to those who have browser tabs at the top like normal. But for me, I like this *wider* version so thank you.

Edit: So, I played around a bit with colors and let me tell you, my eyes don't like yellow letters on anything not dark. It really likes to bite the eyes.
    Yeah I don't like yellows and other light colors without a dark nice-contrast background either. I only used yellow since I was using JJ's black version and the Turbines previous black version when I did that sig.

In your last post, the three choices you showed - definitely the second or third one depending on how you really feel about shading the signature area. Your first release of the "white" version didn't have it shaded which maybe implies you prefer it not shaded.

You didn't interfere and tell me how to build my experience planner so I feel bad for interfering with your design choices here by all means choose what you are more comfortable with of course. Maybe even that first one (bold black on grey w/o the extra colors).

You did nice work on this and I got my wider version too so I'm happy with whatever else you decide. No, really!

PS Did you get my pm's the other night? I'll send another one after breakfast regarding a question. Back in 20 min or so.

Nope, looks much better thanks. Keep in mind though this is me looking at it with a 2 1/4 inch vertical tab bar in my browser; not sure how wide it would still appear to those who have browser tabs at the top like normal. But for me, I like this *wider* version so thank you.
    When I open the developer tools, they nest on the right so the forum looks completely squashed to me while I'm working on it. I think without the tab you'd see it "normal".

In your last post, the three choices you showed - definitely the second or third one depending on how you really feel about shading the signature area. Your first release of the "white" version didn't have it shaded which maybe implies you prefer it not shaded.
    I can post both of them, one with shade and one without. I'm used to not having a sig shaded area because of a forum where I spend a lot of my free time.

You didn't interfere and tell me how to build my experience planner so I feel bad for interfering with your design choices here by all means choose what you are more comfortable with of course. Maybe even that first one (bold black on grey w/o the extra colors).
    Without feedback, be it good or bad, I can't improve things. If no one says anything, I can't know if people like it or not or if something needs to be changed. Like the links I missed on the inbox, those are fixed now btw.

You did nice work on this and I got my wider version too so I'm happy with whatever else you decide. No, really!

PS Did you get my pm's the other night? I'll send another one after breakfast regarding a question. Back in 20 min or so.
    Yes, I did get your PM's and that's why you have the inbox links and some other color corrections made

One thing though... the second and third options have forced coloring on the text, meaning that even if you paint them yellow, you'll see them in the color I set.

I try to go for a color that is pleasant on the eye and doesn't blare at us. Of course, no matter what color I put there, I won't be able to satisfy everyone.

That means that people can make yellow links to be readable in the dark version and still not have their eyes killed when using a light skin on the forum.

EDIT: Version with signature changes can be found here:

http://userstyles.org/styles/87958/d...s?r=1369253406
    Last edited by Aussir; 05-22-2013 at 03:11 PM.

UPDATE

All versions of the theme now have readable Devtrackers. Please update your themes.

Original Light Theme - Cream Background
    Second version - Almost white backgroung
    Second version - wider forum area
    Second version - wider forum area and shaded/bolded signature area with forced color on text

If anyone wants to know where to change the signature's colors or forum width, please PM me and I'll tell you how.

Could someone more tech savvy than myself, please update JJ's Darker version to also incorporate the dev tracker?

Community Member

bump

for incredible usefulness.
    make it sticky!

Sorry I haven't been able to update the dark version yet. I've been having horrendous internet issues and can only reliably get online at work or on my phone (neither of which works to let me reach the forums and modify the styles).

-JJ

Reminder/ PSA - get this installed
    AUREON/ KEEPER 2006-2009 | CANNITH 2010 -
    Anaplian, Csimian, Tengram, Hackworth, Memenah, Helekye, Nabberfleish
    Brotherhood of the Wolf

JJ when I report a post the editor box is grey with black text so could update this please when you get the time.

Thank you!

Stoner81.

Also, jj, a quick note that the "title" box for posts and threads is largely unreadable (black text on dark gray background) when making posts or creating threads. Not a huge deal except when creating threads, where the title is mandatory.

Those two properties should be updated and no longer black text on gray backgrounds

-JJ

Quote Originally Posted by jjflanigan View Post
    Those two properties should be updated and no longer black text on gray backgrounds

-JJ
    Yep, sweet, thanks much!

Took me a second to figure out how to manually update it; it's set to auto but I think there's a delay. Anyway, I really appreciate this, as well as your other tools. Great work as always.

Default Cheers buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by jjflanigan View Post

-JJ
    Cheers buddy much better!

Just thinking it might be better if there was a new thread for this where JJ and Ausir have the first and second post so as all changes can be added to those posts only so as new people don't have to trek through page after page to find the latest version, also it would mean that a better thread title could be implemented so people can find this easier. I would also add a link to the thread in my signature to help spread the word about the awesome work you guys have been doing.

Stoner81.

Oh JJ spotted something else odd too recently, on home page of the forum the link to login has vanished and only re-appears if I go to a thread or forum section the same also applies once logged in. My Account and Log Out are not visible on the home page.

I am wondering if it's a problem my end but not really sure.

Stoner81.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast