Default Artificer Homunculus

I have been searching around and I tried searching for it a year ago as well. An arti dog build. Yet I seem to find nothing at all.
    The last time I played no one used these mechanic little pets. However, now I am back I see arti's using em all the time.
    Yet when on the forums I see nothing of the sorts of his build.
    How do people build this little fellah? What do you guys give him besides the usual oil bacon strips ( equipment )
    Right now mine is walking around with a blademark and some icy burst collart but the futher I try to build it myself the more he sucks.
    Any opinions?
    Living in the Twilight, Under the Moon

At level 12 I use vampiric stone dust hand wraps converted to a collar, at level 20 I switch to his tier 3 alchemical hand wraps (triple earth). I also have a set of level 20 maybar hand wraps that I made into a collar also
    at lower levels I try to keep upgrading his docent, at epic I use the epic bladesmark docent

Community Member

You mean an Arti build centered around using the dog? Or a build for your Dog?

The former is silly - there's not enough enhancements available, and the dog doesnt scale into endgame

The latter is kinda arbitrary - you either build his enhancements for tanking, or for some extra DPS/evasion, and usually the latter as its endgame tanking ability is negligible.

As for equipment, whatever is good for a melee WF is good for a pup. Gorgon Docent, Giantcraft Docent, Bladesmark, etc. For collar, I like Cormyrian handwraps converted. Back before I TRed, they seemed to be bugged so you get double mods when you equip it, so its like having 2 equipped at the same time

The dog is never going to have enough attack speed to really make a DPS difference, though. Its best suited for sticking debuffs and stat damage to enhance your own DPS. Thats another reason I like Cormyrians, they almost always come with a stat damage mod, which helps a lot against orange-named and above. You can also stick a docent of Destroying on him, which will put -4 AC/Fort on everything he fights.

Intergalactic Space Crusader Livmo's Avatar

Default Lil' Buddy

My dog Buddy is uber cool and a big help.

I'm using the already mentioned docents with Buddy (Druid's wolf uses leather armor and collars). My favorite collars have paralyze in them. At Level 25 I'm running a paralyze/smiting collar on Buddy. When baddies sneak up on me my dog usually paralyzes them, which is nice.

You can make custom collars from handwraps. At the crafting station in the Harbor and the one in Cannith you can place the handwraps into the station and craft them into collars. I did this with the Adamantine Knuckles, so I could use the augment slots to buff my dog even more.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Adamant...%28Level_24%29

When I solo and/or in a lame pug I will use my dog to carry my Soulstone to the shrine to res. You may have to click the footsteps button on the dog's hot bar, so it can keep up with you on the way to the shrine.

I use my dog to pull levers. In Delara's Tomb, Necro, etc. My favorite place is the Prison of the Planes in GH. There all of us can get in on the battles and the dog waits outside.

Also, when I solo or in a pug with no decent tank I will use Buddy to tank and draw aggro, so I can shoot and cast.

--

As for dog Enhancements I went for the obvious ones and avoided the alignment related ones. My dog is buffed. You will be able to get most the Enhancements along the way. Its really cool to watch your dog trip and sunder the baddies.

--

Lastly, I buff my dog with ship buffs. Aside from ship buffs I buff my dog with Deadly Weapons and Stoneskin when entering a quest. And sometimes a resist like acid if I'm gonna go toe to toe with a black dragon.

My Lil' Buddy has saved me and the party dozens of times. Buddy has some player fans as well.
    Last edited by Livmo; 05-01-2013 at 04:15 PM.

biggest suggestion:

have a docent with either heavy or medium fort either straight up or via a blue slot.

cheap is the acid burst of puncturing collar.

That seem to be some nice suggestions. This will get me going gear wise.
    The whole point about the OBVIOUS enhancements is that I have no idea which ones those are.
    I took some str, trip, threat increase etc. Would anyone mind posting their setup?

Default Enhancements

Here are Buddy's Enhancements. I went for Good Dog last.

Default Collar and Docent

Here is the collar I made from the handwraps. As mentioned in another post you could put a fortification augment in the purple slot. Also, you can use the red and yellow slots for elemental damage and/or resist. For example, extra fire damage and acid resist, or fire damage and electrical damage. Or some combination of augments.

I have several docents, but this one is currently on the dog.

Ah. See, I never knew what to take. This should get Pepper going. Sylverant Stark will be a happy Arti now with his good doggie

Community Member

If you have the Cannith Challenges, the Mournlode Docent isn't a bad docent for your doggie. The anti-undead stuff isn't universally useful, but protection, resistance, and two augment slots are.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeronic View Post
    That seem to be some nice suggestions. This will get me going gear wise.
    The whole point about the OBVIOUS enhancements is that I have no idea which ones those are.
    I took some str, trip, threat increase etc. Would anyone mind posting their setup?
    I generally try and spec my doggie (GrearsOfRawr) to grab aggro and tank a bit, so I can get my sneak attacks in (Helf Dilly), but also having Evasion for her is a must.

This being said, you won't be able to grab all the Itim enhancements due to the prereqs for Evasion. However, I find it a worth trade-off as she can usually last through solo Epic Normal runs with little issue...as long as I throw some Reconstructs her way in between fights.

As far as collars go, I've been pretty happy with Improved Cursespewing, but I probably need to upgrade.

For her docent, I was running with an Unsuppressed Quiorforged Docent of Battle, but I have just started toying with a random loot one with a Trap the Soul guard on it...have not seen it proc yet, but I am usually killing things ranged before she gets to them.

A good general rule is to have guards on the docent and some sort of stat damage on the collar.

Good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by 404error View Post
    there will always be bugs in DDO it will never be bug free at any point in its lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrddinman View Post
    I generally try and spec my doggie (GrearsOfRawr) to grab aggro and tank a bit, so I can get my sneak attacks in (Helf Dilly), but also having Evasion for her is a must.

This being said, you won't be able to grab all the Itim enhancements due to the prereqs for Evasion. However, I find it a worth trade-off as she can usually last through solo Epic Normal runs with little issue...as long as I throw some Reconstructs her way in between fights.

As far as collars go, I've been pretty happy with Improved Cursespewing, but I probably need to upgrade.

For her docent, I was running with an Unsuppressed Quiorforged Docent of Battle, but I have just started toying with a random loot one with a Trap the Soul guard on it...have not seen it proc yet, but I am usually killing things ranged before she gets to them.

A good general rule is to have guards on the docent and some sort of stat damage on the collar.

Good luck
    Ah, see, here is where I get confused. Some say Evasion and thus the DEX build is a must. Yet the above poster took combat alacrity. I like evasion. But I dunno what is better. The dog just confuses me

Quote Originally Posted by Zeronic View Post
    I have been searching around and I tried searching for it a year ago as well. An arti dog build. Yet I seem to find nothing at all....
    Any opinions?
    Here is a link to my recent post on Evasion II by level 16:
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...I-by-Level-16)

Here is the path if you do not want to click on the link:

LVL Pet Enhancement
    1 Adam. Plating I (2 AP)
    2 Rein. Armor I (2 AP)
    3 Danger Avoid. I (2 AP)
    4 Distract. I (2 AP)
    5 Adam. Plating II (1 AP); Rein. Armor II (1 AP)
    6 Danger Avoid. II (1 AP); Distract. II (1 AP)
    7 Dex. I (2)
    8 Adam. Plating III (1 AP); Rein. Armor III (1 AP)
    9 Danger Avoid. III (1 AP); Distract. III (1 AP)
    11 Dex. II (4 AP)
    12 Rein. Armor IV (1 AP); Adam. Plating IV (1 AP)
    13 Evasion I (2 AP)
    14 Danger Avoid. IV (1 AP); Distract. IV (1 AP)
    15 Strength I (2 AP)
    16 Evasion II (2 AP)
    18 Strength II (4 AP)
    19 Fearsome Tactics I & II (2 AP) / Takedown I (2 AP)
    20 Fearsome Tactics III & IV (2 AP) / Takedown II & III (2 AP)

I prefer giving my puppie evasion and a vertigo +10 item. Cast whatever buffs on it you can - armor of speed, resists, protections, deadly. The dog trips mobs a lot, it's great. I don't really use it in EE, though, since it gets killed too often. But in EN and EH, the tripping will help you.

In Heroic content, I recommend paralyzing.

Community Member

Evasion is generally the desired build by endgame because it keeps your pup alive the longest, and a dead dog does no DPS or CC. By endgame, keeping your dog alive is its biggest need to address, he gets killed by AOEs/damage spells a lot. Evasion+prereqs pretty much cuts the cookie for you; you fill in the rest with whatever skills also help keep your dog alive, things like HP and DR.

Thats what I meant by "obvious"