Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 61 to 70 of 70

Thread: Regarding Rep

  1. #61
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    I guess I do prefer to function in ignorance regarding rep, because, unlike you, I honestly do not give a hoot about rep. I turned my rep display off when you started that crusade over a year ago encouraging everyone to disable rep to protest how broken the system was and to try to get Turbine to change it, and I have lived in blissful ignorance of it since.


    I thought it was pretty funny that even though you were the one calling for other folks to turn off rep, not even a month went by before you had to turn your rep display back on so everyone could see your green bar again. I thought it was even funnier when you started a thread thanking everyone for your massive rep total when you hit the max. You have subsequently made many posts about how you monitor your rep and contest neg rep.


    So when I see one of the first threads in the new forums by Memnir is yet again about the very subject he purports to care so little about, it makes me laugh. Hence the 'LOL.'

    Postumus, you make a big deal about negativity on the forums and you tell other people that they need to behave better. Then you post stuff like this.

    Have you ever considered taking your own advice?

  2. #62
    Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    Deadlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from
    Posts
    3,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNameIwasntB4 View Post
    But if you posted a gif of a cat on a vacuum chasing a duck, why that was worth 1,000,000 rep.
    Because it's the best frickin thing that's ever been posted on the forums!!!



    And if you hadn't noticed, there's not been a lot of positive on the forums, so I for one will miss Memnir's posts a lot more than I'll miss a lot of the negativity we usually see.

  3. #63
    Community Member TheNameIwasntB4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    144

    Default I had a green bar capable of neg repping

    Quote Originally Posted by Lorien_ View Post
    Yup. Seems they didn't really turn off neg rep and after a screenshot showing that it could still be given Turbine just set everyone's ability to get rep of any kind to zero. Guess they didn't know how to actually turn neg rep off lol



    While funny pictures probably did generate LOTS of pos rep, you are wrong. I am too lazy to post funny pics and I had a rather long green bar before it got lost in the forum downgrade.

    I got my neg rep mostly when I was being a jerk (19/20 ish), and sometimes because someone just disagreed with me.

    I got my pos rep mostly when I was being helpful (2/3 ish), and sometimes when I was beign funny.
    Just about all of my posts actually pertained to the game with insight on the game. The posts that I received neg rep on were because I disagreed with the OP or someone in the thread, provided facts about why I disagreed, dates on when it happened, etc, but since I was disagreeing I would get neg rep.

    Now, on the old forums, and my guild mates saw your post that said I was wrong you would have been hammered for disagreeing with me. Yet, you provided some facts on your reasons why. I am fine with you disagreeing with me.

    If you read the old forums enough you would ALWAYS see a +1 from XYZ for that picture because it made me laugh. Or, XYZ would post "If I could send you rep now I would, because your picture of unicorns was cool." Uh, as far as I know there are no unicorns in the game.

    The rep system now will be for the fanbois and Turbine favorites.

    I will post my stuff, hopefully, some of it will help others. Hopefully, my negative posts(there will be negative posts because not all of us defecate unicorns and rainbows) won't cause too much of a stir.
    April 2013 - Manager Meeting - New Forums, WOW!! We just had over 90% new players join!!

  4. #64
    Community Member Dubbelklik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    In my basement
    Posts
    8

    Default



    Now give me my 1,000,000 rep!
    I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just gonna ask 'em where they're going, and hook up with 'em later on.

    - Mitch Hedberg

  5. #65
    Bwest Fwiends Memnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ¿
    Posts
    16,603

    Default

    Howdy all... just popping in.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNameIwasntB4 View Post
    If you posted insightful posts that actually helped players understand the game better, you received just about zero rep.

    But if you posted a gif of a cat on a vacuum chasing a duck, why that was worth 1,000,000 rep.

    The rep system here was a complete farce. It was like a high school popularity contest.
    I hate to say that you are totally wrong - but, yeah. You are. Totally.

    See, half my Rep might very well be from posting jokes - but half isn't. Half my Rep comes from feedback, suggestions, and being helpful when and where I could. Take away half my Rep and I'd still have the most Rep on the forums here. Simple math, since the amount of rep needed to jump hit Epic is 25k. The number to hit Legendary is 50k... and there isn't anyone else who hit Epic yet.


    So while, yes, I totally agree that Rep is a farce - it's not for the reasoning you seem to adhere to so bitterly.

    It's a farce because we never needed it in the first place -and it was broken and abused before folks like myself decided to monitor it and speak up about it. That lead to fixes being made, and even if they weren't great fixes - they did help. I made this post because despite what we were told about Rep on the new forums... it was still broken. No, it was worse the never since what we were sold and told about the new forums didn't happen. Now, with Rep totally busted and castrated - it's perfect. It's the one thing I hope the forums don't change. In fact, I hope the Devs take out all titles and green boxes - because they no longer mean a damn thing.... like they never should have to begin with.





    I leave you again to resume the normal DDO Forum activity.
    Last edited by Memnir; 05-07-2013 at 09:32 PM.
    53461

  6. #66
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    451

    Default I knew it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    Howdy all... just popping in.I hate to say that you are totally wrong - but, yeah. You are. Totally.

    See, half my Rep might very well be from posting jokes - but half isn't. Half my Rep comes from feedback, suggestions, and being helpful when and where I could. Take away half my Rep and I'd still have the most Rep on the forums here. Simple math, since the amount of rep needed to jump hit Epic is 25k. The number to hit Legendary is 50k... and there isn't anyone else who hit Epic yet.


    So while, yes, I totally agree that Rep is a farce - it's not for the reasoning you seem to adhere to so bitterly.

    It's a farce because we never needed it in the first place -and it was broken and abused before folks like myself decided to monitor it and speak up about it. That lead to fixes being made, and even if they weren't great fixes - they did help. I made this post because despite what we were told about Rep on the new forums... it was still broken. No, it was worse the never since what we were sold and told about the new forums didn't happen. Now, with Rep totally busted and castrated - it's perfect. It's the one thing I hope the forums don't change. In fact, I hope the Devs take out all titles and green boxes - because they no longer mean a damn thing.... like they never should have to begin with.





    I leave you again to resume the normal DDO Forum activity.
    You have been lurking all this time. HA! I knew you were watching. Well, so did everyone else, but I knew it before you went fishin'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Codog View Post
    [*]Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.

  7. #67
    2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    France
    Posts
    3,643

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    In fact, I hope the Devs take out all titles and green boxes - because they no longer mean a damn thing....
    That's the only logical thing left to do with forum rep...
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

  8. #68
    Community Member Chai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, birthplace of D&D
    Posts
    20,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    Howdy all... just popping in.I hate to say that you are totally wrong - but, yeah. You are. Totally.

    See, half my Rep might very well be from posting jokes - but half isn't. Half my Rep comes from feedback, suggestions, and being helpful when and where I could. Take away half my Rep and I'd still have the most Rep on the forums here. Simple math, since the amount of rep needed to jump hit Epic is 25k. The number to hit Legendary is 50k... and there isn't anyone else who hit Epic yet.


    So while, yes, I totally agree that Rep is a farce - it's not for the reasoning you seem to adhere to so bitterly.

    It's a farce because we never needed it in the first place -and it was broken and abused before folks like myself decided to monitor it and speak up about it. That lead to fixes being made, and even if they weren't great fixes - they did help. I made this post because despite what we were told about Rep on the new forums... it was still broken. No, it was worse the never since what we were sold and told about the new forums didn't happen. Now, with Rep totally busted and castrated - it's perfect. It's the one thing I hope the forums don't change. In fact, I hope the Devs take out all titles and green boxes - because they no longer mean a damn thing.... like they never should have to begin with.





    I leave you again to resume the normal DDO Forum activity.
    Rep was a farce for more reasons than one, including but not limited to others reasons as well as your own. They should have called it what it was, a like/dislike button, because that is what it was used for. Before the severe limitations were put on it, it was also used to troll people into automod status when they didnt agree with a small but vocal minority. Theyve tried to deny this hand over fist yes, however, on 3 occasions now, there were small periods of time when we could see who repped us, and this showed what I am saying to be true.

    When the loudest complaint about the system is coming from the one person who has 2+x the amount of rep anyone else has, you know theres an issue. Im still not sure why they keep changing it a little bit at a time. A report only system is the best system. People cannot abuse it anonymously like they could the rep system. If they do, it becomes apparent who is abusing the system simply for personal conflict reasons.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

  9. #69
    Community Member ~Phemt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    Howdy all... just popping in.I hate to say that you are totally wrong - but, yeah. You are. Totally.
    Glad to see you posting!

    But i can't agree with you; all i do when here is posting bugs, give an opinion, help some newbies and post some jokes and 60% of my posts are "misunderstood" and negged.

    Examples of posts i have been negged for:

    1) Explaining "dilettante" meaning (italian word)

    2) A post with a question mark cause i didn't get the meaning of the post (not native english)

    3) Telling others solo is lame for me cause i find the purpose of a mmo to play with others.

    I could continues but i really think the rep system was useless and meaningless.

    Just to give you some facts above my opinion, in my firt bug reporting thread, the bashing was so childish and ridiculous i had several pms from devs and QA people thanking me for my efforts. That was the only reason i kept posting here.

    Later

  10. #70
    Community Member TheNameIwasntB4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    144

    Default Mem, Phemt said you are wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    Howdy all... just popping in.I hate to say that you are totally wrong - but, yeah. You are. Totally.

    See, half my Rep might very well be from posting jokes - but half isn't. Half my Rep comes from feedback, suggestions, and being helpful when and where I could. Take away half my Rep and I'd still have the most Rep on the forums here. Simple math, since the amount of rep needed to jump hit Epic is 25k. The number to hit Legendary is 50k... and there isn't anyone else who hit Epic yet.


    So while, yes, I totally agree that Rep is a farce - it's not for the reasoning you seem to adhere to so bitterly.

    It's a farce because we never needed it in the first place -and it was broken and abused before folks like myself decided to monitor it and speak up about it. That lead to fixes being made, and even if they weren't great fixes - they did help. I made this post because despite what we were told about Rep on the new forums... it was still broken. No, it was worse the never since what we were sold and told about the new forums didn't happen. Now, with Rep totally busted and castrated - it's perfect. It's the one thing I hope the forums don't change. In fact, I hope the Devs take out all titles and green boxes - because they no longer mean a damn thing.... like they never should have to begin with.





    I leave you again to resume the normal DDO Forum activity.
    So, Phemt posted information that was perceived by the DEVS as useful, but a long green minority took offense and neg repped him.

    I am willing to wager that if I asked the average poster what Memnir usually posted about I will bet the answer is going to be "PICS that I thought were funny."

    Come back anytime you want to talk about how rep was bad, even though you still wanted your long green bar, even though you mention about how ONLY you had the most rep. To some of us, it really did not matter because we did not mind starting at zero.
    April 2013 - Manager Meeting - New Forums, WOW!! We just had over 90% new players join!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload