Thread: Regarding Rep

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    Done and done.
    For science!
    Neutral/Grey rep

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trillea View Post
    considering you still have a grey twizzler, I believe Mem's greenis has truly been nerfed. As mine has, since you did not go green when I gave you pos rep.
    Gray only means they have reputation turned off, by default a new person/account/forumname on the forums starts off with 1 greeni.

For someone who keeps proclaiming how pointless forum rep is and how little he cares about it, you sure post a lot about it. LOL.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    For someone who keeps proclaiming how pointless forum rep is and how little he cares about it, you sure post a lot about it. LOL.
    )
    Quote Originally Posted by Codog View Post
    [*]Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.

Because if we have it at all - it should work right and be understood on how it works. I've said countless times I'd prefer it's total removal - but so long as it has to be around, it should be perfectly clear on how it should work.

Or do you prefer to function in ignorance?

It is so fun breaking things though.

Community Member

Because if we have it at all - it should work right and be understood on how it works. I've said countless times I'd prefer it's total removal - but so long as it has to be around, it should be perfectly clear on how it should work.

I prefer ignorance thank you, because I prefer to live in a faux bliss state.

Ahhhh, blessed bliss.
    [*]Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.

When did Turbine start hiring again?

Community Member

I think this is my 5th post so far ! Im trying hard , i think once i past the thousand mark i can become a junior lobbyist .

Regarding rep... looks like all the good reputation is grey for me... did they erase that too when eliminating the negative type? Mumble mumble

Community Member

My experience on another forum that uses vBulletin has been that the real value of the rep system is not in giving and receiving points for reputation, it's in giving and receiving comments. The points get very... political, I guess you could say, even with neg-rep turned off. For example, people could get a very high rep just by bashing someone who wasn't generally well-liked. Perhaps being able to "neg-rep" someone and privately express your disagreement in the comments without being able to actually harm their reputation is the best of all possible worlds.

Another way to put it is, I'm more concerned about the other person being able to see why I gave them rep than I am about them actually getting points for it.

Community Member TheNameIwasntB4's Avatar

Default The rep system here was based on posting pictures

If you posted insightful posts that actually helped players understand the game better, you received just about zero rep.

But if you posted a gif of a cat on a vacuum chasing a duck, why that was worth 1,000,000 rep.

The rep system here was a complete farce. It was like a high school popularity contest.
    April 2013 - Manager Meeting - New Forums, WOW!! We just had over 90% new players join!!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phemt View Post
    Regarding rep... looks like all the good reputation is grey for me... did they erase that too when eliminating the negative type? Mumble mumble
    Yup. Seems they didn't really turn off neg rep and after a screenshot showing that it could still be given Turbine just set everyone's ability to get rep of any kind to zero. Guess they didn't know how to actually turn neg rep off lol

Quote Originally Posted by TheNameIwasntB4 View Post
    If you posted insightful posts that actually helped players understand the game better, you received just about zero rep.

But if you posted a gif of a cat on a vacuum chasing a duck, why that was worth 1,000,000 rep..
    While funny pictures probably did generate LOTS of pos rep, you are wrong. I am too lazy to post funny pics and I had a rather long green bar before it got lost in the forum downgrade.

I got my neg rep mostly when I was being a jerk (19/20 ish), and sometimes because someone just disagreed with me.

I got my pos rep mostly when I was being helpful (2/3 ish), and sometimes when I was beign funny.
    Addicted to DDO since 2006
    Officer of Chaos Knights and primary cause of -10%XP in guild runs

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lorien_ View Post
    Yup. Seems they didn't really turn off neg rep and after a screenshot showing that it could still be given Turbine just set everyone's ability to get rep of any kind to zero. Guess they didn't know how to actually turn neg rep off lol

While funny pictures probably did generate LOTS of pos rep, you are wrong. I am too lazy to post funny pics and I had a rather long green bar before it got lost in the forum downgrade.

I got my neg rep mostly when I was being a jerk (19/20 ish), and sometimes because someone just disagreed with me.

I got my pos rep mostly when I was being helpful (2/3 ish), and sometimes when I was beign funny.

While I also feel that pictures artificially inflated a posters green, I also feel there is a semi-High School mentality of things as well. What I mean is, the same circle of prolific posters from before the forum downgrade would also give the guy with an earlier join date a + rep for posting nearly the exact same reply that a guy with a more recent join date, and the new guy would get nothing.

I saw this in action a few years back, and until the person with the new join date gets around 3 or 4 green boxes, they largely get flamed for things in threads too. Ah well, I like the new rep system. You can pos/neg rep anyone, and with the comment box, you get to say whether it is pos/neg, I feel that is the way it should be. No need for a green or red bar, in fact, turn those green bars off for everyone imo, as it doesn't matter what us players see, I am sure the mods can still see when a person gets negged an ess-ton and moderate the poster.

I would hope they can, but then I have to remember recent events and who I am saying "I am sure they can do xxx" when I say it too, so in all likelihood the mods can't see squat on their end.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by forummuleonly View Post
    Ah well, I like the new rep system. You can pos/neg rep anyone, and with the comment box, you get to say whether it is pos/neg, I feel that is the way it should be. No need for a green or red bar
    I agree that the new "neutral" feedback is probably more useful than anything we had before.
    Addicted to DDO since 2006
    Officer of Chaos Knights and primary cause of -10%XP in guild runs

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

Seems they had to disable completely the rep system to disable the neg rep... As approving a post nowadays just give you a grey ( as pointed by others ) and no rep-points.

Talk about a Fail... they announced that neg rep was going away before knowing how to make it go away... and in the end they removed both neg and pos rep.
    While they are at it, the best would be for them to just remove the the display of the greenis/redis under our avatars, that way we would just forget about the rep system.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Default I just ignore reputation

It was a broken popularity contest then. It's a broken popularity contest now.

Hell, I'll probably get neg-repped just for saying that, but I don't care and almost never have.

If it does show I say leave it. No reason why basement boy gets to hide behind his lil phantom of the opera mask.

I strongly feel in the future all information will be made readily available at one click to see a home address where people can (at that time) teleport over there and have an old fashioned street beating.

WHO'S WITH ME!!

I can also see who gave me rep. Not sure if that's good or bad ... hmm, I can see a lot of fights over neg rep if someone knows who gave it. On the other hand, maybe people will not be as quick to neg rep someone.

But when I try to give rep now I just get a message saying 'error on page'.

I don't think I ever had the ability to neg rep anyone.

Ya know, the more I think about it I don't mind so much seeing who gave +Rep. But not keen on people seeing who gave -Rep. I know I would never -Rep anyone as this is just a game and nothing I would want to get into a dramafest over with a self-righteous-has-to-be-right poster. Yeah, that never happens. lol

I guess I do prefer to function in ignorance regarding rep, because, unlike you, I honestly do not give a hoot about rep. I turned my rep display off when you started that crusade over a year ago encouraging everyone to disable rep to protest how broken the system was and to try to get Turbine to change it, and I have lived in blissful ignorance of it since.

I thought it was pretty funny that even though you were the one calling for other folks to turn off rep, not even a month went by before you had to turn your rep display back on so everyone could see your green bar again. I thought it was even funnier when you started a thread thanking everyone for your massive rep total when you hit the max. You have subsequently made many posts about how you monitor your rep and contest neg rep.

So when I see one of the first threads in the new forums by Memnir is yet again about the very subject he purports to care so little about, it makes me laugh. Hence the 'LOL.'

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast