Community Member

Default Wizard Tree: Replace Spellpower with Caster Levels

One of the class balancing issues that has been raised is the concern that wizards will do more damage than pure sorcerers.
    My suggestion to fix this issue, aside from a general arcane tree being a better solution, would be to completely remove spellpower from the wizard tree. In place of directly multiplying spell damage, wizards should have additional caster levels (that actually function properly *cough cough*).
    Additional caster levels would make spells more powerful as far as their duration, spell penetration, and their resistance. All of which should be associated with wizards. Most spells would benefit from this, and the additional damage would not be overpowered for most of them.
    Additional caster levels should be at least three tiers at a cost of 1/2/3 (+1 per tier) or 2/4/6. Assuming these are only levels 1 to 20 enhancements, the total should be capped at 3.
    It would be hard to quantify caster levels relative to spellpower, and that too would be an issue to debate. However, compromises can be made such adding additional DC or critical chance.

I'd like to know what everyone thinks of something like this. Wizards, would you prefer to have more powerful spells at the cost of some damage?
    I've had three wizard lives myself so I can see this being a good thing in a lot of ways, but I know some people may not like the idea at all, but I think we should discuss this because wizards and sorcerers should not be treated like the same class, which most of us would agree at the least.

Interesting idea, except that on LIVE sorcerer's only have the Capstone amount above the Wizard's potential.

Much of the "Extra" damage comes as part of the Debuffs of their selected PrE.

I don't think we need to look at "nerfing" one class to make another one look better.

Possible option is to add something like +.75 per point for the selected Savant PrE element. This will get them 1.50 for their spell power similar to the PM's Negative energy spell power enhancement.

I think the # of Feats and spell selection vs PrE abilities does a good job at defining the difference between these two classes.