Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Community Member

DC based wands are right up there with spell resistance in usefulness.

Nope. I never use DC based wands. There are no advantages to using them and only drawbacks.

When I first started this game, I found a phantasmal killer wand and gave it a go. After one quest of uselessness, I have been vendoring almost all wands I find.

Community Member

The only wands i use are buff wands (shield, energy resistance,...), heal wand and fireball wands

Yes fireball wands....to blow door with my wizard because he has not enough str to do it by weapon

The DC on wands are too low, even at low level quests to be useful. For damage wands, monster saves for half and you get no enhancement, so damage are pathetics
    And on saves or nothing, you get ...nothing

I once tried a wand of charm in Butcher Path (a lvl 2 quest)
    In normal, i usually succeed a charm every 3 charges
    On hard, you can use all your wand and get no success

I've tried wands once or twice; I think I bought an eternal wand of charm monster one time. Never had any real luck with any of them, and the DC numbers are so low they didn't look encouraging. Also, I'm not a fan of burning consumables just to function.

1. No
    2. No
    3. No
    4. And no
    >> Member of DDOpl Guild <<
    >> Cannith <<
    # Isioviel Jr’eness – 11th life 12mnk/7drd/1rog # Finghin Al’Roeg – Tr’ed Wizard # Seljuck – Tr’ed Barbarian

Community Member

One DC based wand I use semi-regularly...

Wand of knock. Sooner or later I might roll a 20 and conquer the nasty lock. Unless its DC is even higher than that!

But yeah, offense wands relying on DC are a waste of time as they stand as they are just far too situational.

So, to fill in using poll format:

1. Yes at first, until I realised how useless it was to try (on a UMD rogue).
    2. No. Failing on a roll over 10 kinda eliminated the thought.
    3. No, but I haven't run a wizard yet. Never considered for that purpose though.
    4. Yes, if they're adjusted to be useful. As they stand, no.
    Last edited by Meetch72; 05-02-2013 at 03:54 AM.

Tried once, never used them again. Useless.

Community Member

Traditionally (from folklore) a wand is just a focus that helps a witch or wizard to cast spells. So using a wand would give you say +1 DC to all your spells. The wand heightening enhancement lines would naturally allow you to increase this wand bonus even further.

Only thing I would add about DC based items is that they can still be functional if the creature rolls a natural 1 for it's save, so statistically a wand with 100 charges would succeed in affecting a resistant creature 5 times. Therefore DC wands are not useless as people claim since, in order to be useless, they would have to fail 100% of the time.

In fact we should be looking at that 5% margin of probability and making decisions to reduce it. Thanks for letting the team know. Now we understand that a monster with a fortitude save of 478455 can still be affected 5% of the time a wand probability of 0.025% seems far more appropriate.

In the green heart of GERMANY - where wilderness means the next village is 3 klicks away.

Quote Originally Posted by Aolas View Post
    Therefore DC wands are not useless as people claim since, in order to be useless, they would have to fail 100% of the time.
    Wrong.

For being a crappy item whose usage atually is a bad detriment to your successful contribution to a quest a "mere" 95% failure rate is quiet sufficient.

Because, you know, while you are fiddling around and wasting time with a wand, stuff still happens, like, eh, whatever a monster might even attack you! Unhindered!
    Erzskalde (Warchanter) / Erzmarschall (melee FvS) / Erzsoldat (waiting for TR-time) / Erzschmied (ranged Artificer)

AOK - From Argonnessen

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by sephiroth1084 View Post
    This is a serious question.

1. To date, in the live game, have any of you ever used DC-based wands with the intention of having them augment your other abilities, hoping or expecting enemies to fail their saves?
    2. Have any of you invested in Wand Heightening enhancements in Live?
    3. Have any of you picked up wizard past lives in order to bump your wand DCs by 2/life?
    4. Ultimately, does anyone actually want the Wand Heightening enhancements at all?

I'm hoping to run this as a poll, so please address the questions in a useful manner.

I've used web wands for a short time on my artificer (with capstone), but considering the time it takes to swap to a wand and back to a repeater Tactical Detonation is better crowd control, and even if I run out of SP just shooting the enemy is more efficient (maybe with a "special effects" weapon like a paralyzing repeater). I have used Halt Undead scrolls on my rogue in Crystal Cove, but only because non-intelligent undead don't get saves. On the one wizard I've played so far I did use damage wands on lower levels when I ran out of SP (eternal wand of magic missile, for example), but no wands that require saves (I switched to using heightened web SLA at mid levels when I ran low on SP). So in short, whenever I have used offensive wands or scrolls on any of my characters I made sure they required no saves, and I can't see myself taking wizard past lives or levels in Wand Heightening to increase wand DCs, at least not on a rogue or artificer.

I never took wand Wand Heightening on any of my rogues or artificers, but I always take the Wand and Scroll Mastery line (mostly for better heals), so I certainly hope that Wand Heightening will not become a prerequisite for W&S Mastery.

In short, on rogues and artificers, at the very least, but also on all other classes I consider the Wand Heightening enhancement line to be completely useless.

Community Member

Fireball and ice storm wands.

For one quest only. Inferno of the damned just to light and out out the torches.

Otherwise DC based or damage wands are just vendor trash even on normal difficulties they are pointless.

If wand hightening increased the caster level and duration of the spell cast from the wand though, I'd think it was an ok enhancement. Extra length buffs from wands would be nice enough.
    Last edited by LupusVai; 06-28-2013 at 05:58 AM.

The only DC based wand I ever use is a Charm Person wand.

I actually want them to fail that save since it acts like a bluff effect for pulling without having to invest in bluff.

Taking wand heightening is utterly useless.
    Jyn... Kender... Thelanis

*Insert clever comment here*

Prior to my 7th Life I did not invest in Wand Heightening and just enjoyed the Wizard Past Life Bonuses.

Wands of Hypnotism, Charm Person, Charm Monster, Hold Person, Web, Fireball etc. with a boost to their DCs helped me feel more caster like in that I didn't have to pull out a melee weapon to conserve SP and still managed to be effective.

My 7th life I decided to take the full line. I'm currently level 15 and have 3 of the Heightened Enhancements plus my Wizard PLs +6. So now All of my Wands have a +9 DC.

Currently my main usage is with Cacophonic Verge which casts Sonic Blast at Caster Level 8

So 10 + 1 (Spell Level) + 9 (Enhancement+PL) = 20 DC Will Save

My common practice is to cast from the wand and follow up with SP Nuke. The Goal is to get as many Dazed as I can to get the damage bonus. While not 100% successful I have on occasion have the majority of the group Dazed just long enough for the Nuke to hit.

I will maintain this into my Epic Eternal Wands to see if I see fewer 1/2 damage while running that content.

So I'm pretty sure in the dev chat from the last preview it was mentioned that the wand DC enhancements were going to be removed, or rolled in with the wand and scroll mastery enhancements. Yet here we are two months later and nothing has been done. I mentioned this during yesterdays dev chat, but my question was ignored. I wouldn't expect to see it changed any time soon.

The very fact that this enhancement was even in the game makes me question the person who put it there. If they actually think that is a needed or wanted enhancement, they know absolutely nothing about the game play of the very system they're designing for.
    ~ Cheara : Raizertron : Pozitron : Higgz Bowtron : Illudium : Staphe Infection : Abraa Capocus ~
    Nooby McNoobsalot
    Ghallanda Rerolled

And what blows with this enhancement is that in most cases it is a pre-req to attain Scroll Mastery.

My rogue is strapped with AP trying to fit in racials and class enhancements as is... I en up losing 75-80 off a heal scroll now.

Wand heightening and Wand and scroll mastery need to be seperate.....

Laters
    Thelanis Server Accolyte 21 PL FVS Completionist Super Soul Accelerated 20 PL Completionist Super Sorc Accessory 3 Ranger 3 Sorc 1 Wiz PL Artificer Accusal 3 FVS 3 Wiz PL Pale Master Accxer Mathbane Barb PL Barbarian Acc 3 FVS 3 Wiz PL Pale Master Ctrl 3 FVS 3 Wiz PL Archmage Jati 3 Monk 3 Ftr PL Tactics Monk Somnath 3 Monk 3 Ftr PL Dark Monk

Never used a wand for offensive purposes other than low level quests like charm or web. I might use a blur wand early on, or an invisibility wand occasionally, but other than that, no, never.

Having craptastic enhancements as a prerequisite for very common, widely-used enhancements is just ridiculous.

Community Member

Having Wand Heightening as a prerequisite for scroll mastery isn't simply absurd. It is another example of the structurally unsound basis for this entire enhancement system. The only reason for its inclusion is that there was a need to fill the lower part of a "branch" on a "tree."

"Pride goeth before the fall."

Let's make a comparison. If you're lucky, you can find a paralyzing weapon that can be used at minimum level of 10. The dc of such a weapon is 17 against a will save. Do paralyzing weapons work when you are level 10? Heck yes they do, with astonishing frequency.

Let's say you have a charm monster wand. It would have an innate dc of 14 against a will save. 3 wizard past lives would push that to 20. The 3 wand enhancements would raise that to 23. I doubt very much that a wand heightened in this way has a 95% failure rate during the same quests when a paralyzing weapon would be useful.

If your paralyzing weapon is only procing 5% of the time, it's long past the point you should have retired it.

That being said, without the wizard past lives, the dc enhancements wouldn't be that helpful, and i don't think i would ever take them if had the choice. I'm not saying i would take them if i had the past lives either, only that they are not as completely useless as some would say.

Making them a prerequisite is a bad idea, for the very reason that most people will not have 3 wizard past lives. Also, like paralyzing weapons, they don't scale, and eventually will become completely useless, as once you reach the point where things only fail on a one, they literally provide no benefit over not having them.

Even enhancements which people don't like, such as ones that just give you small amounts of armor class can at least be shown to have some tiny possibility to provide a benefit at higher levels.

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

I'm sure I already had answered that one...

Anyway :

1 : no, except a few web wands 7 years ago... just to discover that they didn't work.
    2 : no
    3 : no
    4 : no
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

As an update, Artificers no longer have this enhancement anymore. Rogues still do, so who knows what's happening there, but it is gone from the Arti trees. Enjoy, because I sure will!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast