Hybrid View

Community Member

Default Drow Gaxe vs a Loot Gen Falch DPS Comparison

My pure paladin is currently equipped with a +6 Shocking Burst Falchion of Superior Bloodletting with Icy Burst. I have DM 3, Divine Sacrifice 2, Exalted Smite 3, 44 standing strength, power attack, improved power attack, OC, Headman's Chop, maxed out critical damage, maxed out advancing blows, and Devastating Critical. I have seeker +6 and exceptional seeker +4.

My numbers as I see them.
    Falch: 2(2d4) +6 = 4d4 + 6 = 10+6 = 16 base damage
    Strength: 44 = +17 x50% = 8.5 = 25.5 damage per swing.
    Power Attack: 5 x 2 = 10 + .5 weapon damage = 2d4 = 5 + 10 = 15
    Divine Favor + DM 3: 9
    Shock + Frost: 2d6 = 7
    Crits: 12(seeker) + 6(critical damage) + 8(seeker) = 26
    Burst Damage: 2d10 elemental = 13
    Sup Bloodletting: 13d6 = 45.5

So. On a roll of less than 15 I do 72.5 damage per swing with the falchion. On a critical hit I do approximately 157 damage base, with an additional 58.5 from special effects. On a roll of 19 or 20 I do roughly 366 damage base, with an additional 58.5 from bloodletting, 26 from burst damage, and the like. This math is likely inaccurate since I am bad at it.

Now, my greataxe

Axe: 3(1d12) +6 = 3d12 = 19.5 + 6 = 25.5
    Strength: 44 = +17 x50% = 8.5 = 25.5 damage per swing.
    Power Attack: 10 + .5 weapon = 1d12 + 1d6 = 10.5 + 10 = 20.5
    Divine Favor + DM 3: 9
    Crits: 12(seeker) + 6(critical damage) + 8(seeker) = 26
    Maiming: 2d6 = 7(17-18), 4d6(19-20) = 14

On a roll of 16 or lower I deal 80.5 damage per swing. On a critical hit of 17 or 18, I do 319.5 damage with an additional 7 from maiming. On a critical hit of 19-20, I do approximately 639 damage +14 more from maiming. Again this math is likely inaccurate as I am bad at it.

So what does this mean for my paladin? Likely that the greataxe is considerably better in a per swing dps contest. The massive crits it packs are simply unstoppable, and it's high base damage makes it a contender against weapons like Cleaver, Hewer of Suffering, Epic Antique Greataxe, Greataxe of the Chained Soldier, and other high tier greataxes.

I do not include the Epic Sword of Shadow in this calculation because I am convinced that my paladin will never have a high enough damage per swing to make that weapon do as much damage as one of the aforementioned axes. I did not include the other axes in this because I do not have access to them as of yet, and because I do not care to use them.

I did not include double strike because it is irrelevant for these tests. Doubling the damage of these weapons would only widen the gap between the axe and falchion. I did not include action boosts versus held mobs because my paladin cannot stun mobs. I did not include glancing blows because the numbers would keep the axe ahead anyways. I did not include action boosts in general because their durations are short, and they run out quickly. I did not include numbers with Fury of the Wild because Adrenaline and the like are used up quickly in conjunction with my Smites.

Please, I eagerly await a better mathmaticians input on my numbers. I am sure they must be wrong, as I see 72 base damage, without elemental affects on my pally with said falchion.

Double-strike and glances are not necessarily irrelevant because they work in opposite ways: double-strike favors the weapon with better critical profile (your greataxe) and magical effects (falchion), glances favor the weapon with higher base damage and less magical effects (greataxe). Adding information about those (feats, items, we can guess you use Zeal) could be important.
    I did not include action boosts in general because their durations are short, and they run out quickly.
    It is true that their durations are short and they run out quickly, but they can still be very relevant.

You have done something strange with IPA. Your W for the falchion is 2d4, for the greataxe is 1d12. (This is why they went through the trouble of 2(2d4) and 3(1d12) in each case rather than the more elegant 4d4 and 3d12.) You have also done something strange with seeker, it looks like you double it for item-based seeker...? Adjusting that gives us...

Falchion
    base: 2 * 2d4 + 6 + 25.5 + 10 + .5 * 2d4 + 9 = 63
    on hit: 2 * 1d6 = 7
    on crit base: 16
    on crit magical: 11 + 45.5 = 56.5
    critical profile: 13 * 1 + 4 * 2 + 2 * 4 = 29

total main blow: 29/20 * 63 + 19/20 * 7 + 16/20 * 16 + 6/20 * 56.5 = 127.75

Greataxe
    base: 3 * 1d12 + 6 + 25.5 + 10 + .5 * 1d12 + 9 = 73.25
    on hit: 0
    on crit base: 16
    on crit magical: 7 (like burst, maiming doesn't change depending on bonus critical multiplier)
    critical profile: 15 * 1 + 2 * 3 + 2 * 6 = 33

total main blow: 33/20 * 73.25 + 19/20 * 0 + 18/20 * 16 + 4/20 * 7 = 136.6625

They are pretty close. Glances, double-strikes, and boosts could conceivably change the result. Also, what would you spend the EP for Headman's Chop on if you devoted yourself to the falchion? Consider that even the 1.5 from +1 Strength would give you 29/20 * +1.5 = +2.175 and close the gap that much more.

We can also look at the net gain from DS. Because we are for the moment ignoring relative speed, this comes entirely from critical profile...

Falchion
    critical profile: +6
    bonus: 6/20 * (63 + 16) = 23.7

Greataxe
    critical profile: +4
    bonus: 4/20 * (73.25 + 16) = 17.85

...but we have to weight this difference by the difference in attack speeds. DS is 3 seconds, ordinary attacks are about 0.6 seconds, so the net of 6ish for the falchion is only worth 1.2ish in our calculations above.

Smites are complicated. Obviously you are in LD, do you have Endless Smiting twisted in? Smites due to the much longer effective cooldown are generally unimportant. I haven't played with the ED smite abilities yet, but it's conceivable they change the arithmetic there.

Community Member

I warned my math was bad lol. I had no idea what I was doing. Anyways, for double strike, I have zeal and zeal only, so +10% chance for double strike.

The 2 AP I would probably spend on +1 strength or +1 constitution, or something. I don't actually know and would need to look.

Still, it looks like the axe is the favored weapon for damage purposes?