Question Return of the... Guy

Just started playing again. Never really tried Artificer so decided to make a WF one with a xbow focus. Pleasantly surprised to see I could create a level 4 right off the bat.

Man this guy is a monster! Ran around Cerulean Hills and between my xbow being able to hit anything I could see (and some of the targets were very, very far away), the pet breathing flame on everything (lol), and being able to summon bolts 1000 at a time and self-heal, I had a lot of fun. Haven't even touched some of the other skills (traps, etc).

I took a lightning spell (spark?) but no real need for it. Also, the rune arm seems pointless since the xbow does more damage at greater range (ditto for the spell). Maybe that changes as you level up?

I read Artificer is not great at later levels unless you go Juggernaut but I guess I will see.

Beyond that character, I also have a Halfing Rogue (4), WF Wiz (4), Elven Favored Soul (4) and a Drow Ranger (2) / Rogue (3) / Monk (1) I was building up awhile back.

I was thinking of respecing the Drow into either full Ranger or maybe a Rogue with a bow but with the Artificer I'm not sure what to do with him now. Not thrilled with multi-classing any more so open to suggestions of fun classes that will be different from the Artificer.

Thanks!

Take a look at rune arm description. Even wearing one can add to your main weapon's damage or have other benefits.
    Agro - Paryan, Pary, Parrii, Parriahh
    Bringers of Darkness

Some players have discovered how to use the rune arm as an offensive weapon. I have to admit that I have not. Like you, it seems to me that the range is extremely limited and I also have trouble targeting -- as in, it never seems that the thing I have targeted ever takes damage from the rune arm.

OTOH, run arms add damage to whatever weapon is equipped in the main hand. This is useful when combined with other artificer abilities. It is a lot of fun to get a heavy repeater with one type of elemental damage, equip a rune arm of a different type, and cast a third type of elemental damage as a weapon buff.

And, it gets even crazier if you get a repeater with a prefix and suffix. Manage to find one with augments and you can proc 4 or 5 different types of damage on each shot. And, try the flame arrow spell on your bolts. Even more damage.

It gets really sick at times -- which is great since the machine-gun effect can mow down most mobs before they ever come near you.

Now, this will continue through almost all of your heroic levels -- meaning that you can rely on it to carry you to L20 with a great deal of confidence. My son really loves his artificer.

The really cool part is that the doggy keeps getting better too. Don't forget to summon it and train your pooch at the trainer each time you gain levels. And be sure to equip it with a collar and a docent.

Finally, as you gain levels the spells get to be pretty powerful as well. Take a close look at them and at your enhancement choices. I know that the enhancements are about to get a make-over. But, until then, you can really work in some huge spell damage as well.

Even 2 levels of artificer on splash characters is fun. The power of the rune arm with the repeater makes it a great choice for when ranged weapons are called for.

Excellent to know, thank you both!

Also, how is Druid? I have not tried it yet...

Quote Originally Posted by mjayg View Post
    An excellent generalist, but not the best at anything. A lot of fun, though. Can both melee and cast.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

Quote Originally Posted by mjayg View Post
    18 druid/ 2 monk seems to be the preferred if you are going Wolf form. Should work if you are going Elemental form also but caster druids seem to require too many past lives.

If going min/max, seems to be 12/7/1 Monk/Druid/X but read that build is coming to an end soon.

As far as Rune Arm use goes, I made a hot-key for the rune arm (In Feats) that works like "auto-attack" but for ruin arms. I'll turn it on just before big fights (if I know the quest or read up on it before hand) and then turn it off once the fight is over. It's actually helped me with an increase of DPS because it charges automatically so all I have to do is press "alt" to discharge the built up charge(One day I'll get a gaming mouse and hot key it there). If it hits awesome, if not, well, it was the same as not having it on "auto-charge" in my situation.

Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    18 druid/ 2 monk seems to be the preferred if you are going Wolf form. Should work if you are going Elemental form also but caster druids seem to require too many past lives.

If going min/max, seems to be 12/7/1 Monk/Druid/X but read that build is coming to an end soon.
    Nah, you donr require any past lives, unless you plan on min/maxing. You can do just well with a first life toon, but as i said, you wont be the best at anything, you can do a lot fo stuff, though. Especially since you can go wolf whenever you run low on sp and melee your way to the next shrine.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved