Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    383

    Default I want a good monster to summon!

    My Arti, without his own Epic Destiny, took Magister. Blech. So I've just been boosting saves and INT, biding my time to get to something at least a little fun. I took Spell focus Evocation as a feat just so I could get the summon and eventually boost it with grand summoner, which I got tonight. But the Meteor Swarm, or whatever it is, still stupidly runs out of sp in about 1 minute and is then worthless. I'm tired of watching my friends get fun things in their EDs while mine stinks.

    At this point I am absolutely willing to switch out spell focus Evoc, which I don'ty really need, for one that will get me a cooler summon that will have good stats (with Augment + Grand Summoner) and actually be useful for a change. Something that my Artificer can pull out and make my friends go "Cool!"

    With this in mind, are there any summons that are actually useful and sturdy for more than a minute? If so, which spell focus do I need for them?

    Thanks for your help.

  2. #2
    Community Member silence383's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    759

    Default

    This has been an issue a long time. Cr 12 epic summons..it is a joke

    When you summon an epic it should be cr 20 or more, but we get a cr 12..whoever made these..errr
    Obscurity

  3. #3
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    831

    Default

    Rather surprised that you don't have a use for the Spell Focus/Greater SF/Epic SF on your Artificer even without the destiny. Given that all your high-end CC, damage spells, and runearm blasts are improved by them, they are something I'd generally regard as must-haves. The boosts to Evocation DC enabled by Spell focus from the magister tree have stayed in my twist of fate slots for almost all of my destinies.

    The Living Meteor Swarm spell seems to be one of the better ones unfortunately. Remember that you can summon again at no cost. All the summons are too low CR to be really useful, but at least the Meteor Swarm throws out high level spells and doesn't try to tank.
    Last edited by Khatzhas; 04-13-2013 at 01:54 AM.

  4. #4
    Community Member Esserbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    644

    Default

    As for a good destiny for Artificers, may I recommend Shiradi Champion? Has lots of ranged damage things.

  5. #5
    Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    12,737

    Default

    This just in: DDO summoning (still) sucks.

    That said, I think the consensus is the dryad elder from Primal Avatar is the least bad ED option; though I can't really see using the Fate pts necessary to twist in a T4 summon.

    Also, SF:Evo is a natural choice for an arty (presuming pure & INT-based); you can Twist in Precise Casting (DI) and Evo Specialist (Magister) for an extra +5 DCs.

  6. #6
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    This just in: DDO summoning (still) sucks.

    That said, I think the consensus is the dryad elder from Primal Avatar is the least bad ED option; though I can't really see using the Fate pts necessary to twist in a T4 summon.

    Also, SF:Evo is a natural choice for an arty (presuming pure & INT-based); you can Twist in Precise Casting (DI) and Evo Specialist (Magister) for an extra +5 DCs.
    +5 DC for what spells, exactly? I'm probably not using my Arti to his full potential, because other than buffs, heals and an occasional blade barrier I almost never cast. Do you mean Tactical Detonation and other such spells?

    Does it help in any way with my rune arm? Thank you.

  7. #7
    Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,679

    Default

    If you get a clicky with a nice Hezrou or something similar, you can summon that. That's a nice summon for level 20 quests on Normal.

    Unfortunately, on Hard or Elite, every summon in the game currently sucks.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

  8. #8
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    831

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stefferweffer View Post
    +5 DC for what spells, exactly? I'm probably not using my Arti to his full potential, because other than buffs, heals and an occasional blade barrier I almost never cast. Do you mean Tactical Detonation and other such spells?

    Does it help in any way with my rune arm? Thank you.
    As mentioned before, it helps with your Rune Arm, as well as almost every single offensive spell that is the core of an artificer. Particularly since the higher-end spells such as Prismatic Strike and Tactical Detonation are effective CC spells rather than damaging ones.

    Given that Rune Arms can be around half of your DPS, even without the Greater and Epic Spell focus feats, boosting that by around 30% through the Spell focus and Twists of Fate is generally well worth it.

  9. #9
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,276

    Default

    I think you guys are doing it wrong.

    You should be a pure Ranger and use the Summons native to that class.

    At level 14 you gain the spell Summon Nature's Ally 4, which can summon a CR 4 Young Razorcat.

    I mean, what's not to like about that? That is uber on a plate right there!

    Accompanied by your trusty uber CR 4 Young Razorcat there's no limit to what you can do!

    I mean, you can summon your uber CR 4 Young Razorcat in Heyton's Rest on Casual and it actually might not die!
    Last edited by Archangel666; 04-13-2013 at 10:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gphysalis View Post
    Average man learns from his mistakes
    Foolish man does not learn from his mistakes
    Wise man learns from other's mistakes

  10. #10
    Community Member silence383's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    759

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel666 View Post
    I think you guys are doing it wrong.

    You should be a pure Ranger and use the Summons native to that class.

    At level 14 you gain the spell Summon Nature's Ally 4, which can summon a CR 4 Young Razorcat.

    I mean, what's not to like about that? That is uber on a plate right there!

    Accompanied by your trusty uber CR 4 Young Razorcat there's no limit to what you can do!

    I mean, you can summon your uber CR 4 Young Razorcat in Heyton's Rest on Casual and it actually might not die!
    lol..yea those cr4's are not to be tangled with when you buff them up..lmao :P +1 making me laugh

    Ahh well still on timer have to +1 you tomorrow apparently lol
    Obscurity

  11. #11
    Community Member ka0t1c1sm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Khatzhas View Post
    As mentioned before, it helps with your Rune Arm, as well as almost every single offensive spell that is the core of an artificer. Particularly since the higher-end spells such as Prismatic Strike and Tactical Detonation are effective CC spells rather than damaging ones.

    Given that Rune Arms can be around half of your DPS, even without the Greater and Epic Spell focus feats, boosting that by around 30% through the Spell focus and Twists of Fate is generally well worth it.
    This. Any Artificer spell worth a damn is Evocation.
    Morgulion Romenion Zandrine Zeldaryne The Order of Cygnus Sarlona
    Quote Originally Posted by BitkaCK2
    There are no bugs in this game, only unintended features.

  12. #12
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stefferweffer View Post
    My Arti, without his own Epic Destiny, took Magister. Blech. So I've just been boosting saves and INT, biding my time to get to something at least a little fun. I took Spell focus Evocation as a feat just so I could get the summon and eventually boost it with grand summoner, which I got tonight. But the Meteor Swarm, or whatever it is, still stupidly runs out of sp in about 1 minute and is then worthless. I'm tired of watching my friends get fun things in their EDs while mine stinks.

    At this point I am absolutely willing to switch out spell focus Evoc, which I don'ty really need, for one that will get me a cooler summon that will have good stats (with Augment + Grand Summoner) and actually be useful for a change. Something that my Artificer can pull out and make my friends go "Cool!"

    With this in mind, are there any summons that are actually useful and sturdy for more than a minute? If so, which spell focus do I need for them?

    Thanks for your help.
    IMO the evo school summon is ok. After 1 min, the summon spell is off cooldown, and u can summon a fresh swarm with full hp ^_^

  13. #13
    Community Member Ivan_Milic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Thelanis
    Posts
    4,901

    Default

    The only good summons are beholder, mind flayer and earth ele.
    Air eles got nerfed.

  14. #14
    Community Member Vellrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Milic View Post
    The only good summons are mummy lord, mummy lord and mummy lord.
    Air eles got nerfed.
    Fixed for you

  15. #15

    Default

    Ha! Yeah, the best summon is the mummy lord who casts healing curse for beating down self-healing bosses. Not so self-healing now, are ya, punk! hehheh.

  16. #16
    Community Member Vellrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Ha! Yeah, the best summon is the mummy lord who casts healing curse for beating down self-healing bosses. Not so self-healing now, are ya, punk! hehheh.
    And all those cometfalls and despair.
    Thanks to despair effect alone, mummy lord is more valuable than average pugger (especially right after aquring spell).

  17. #17
    Community Member Ivan_Milic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Thelanis
    Posts
    4,901

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    Fixed for you
    Never used him, saw him only once being used.
    Who can summon him, divines and casters?

  18. #18
    Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,679

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Milic View Post
    Never used him, saw him only once being used.
    Who can summon him, divines and casters?
    Create Undead Clr 6, FvS 6, Wiz 6, Sor 6

    The scroll is not sold at vendors, so that limits it mostly to self-casting from your own spell points.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

  19. #19
    Community Member Barhai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stefferweffer View Post
    +5 DC for what spells, exactly? I'm probably not using my Arti to his full potential, because other than buffs, heals and an occasional blade barrier I almost never cast. Do you mean Tactical Detonation and other such spells?

    Does it help in any way with my rune arm? Thank you.
    Both prismatic strike and tactical detonation are fantastic spells: strike has 3 effects with 3 different saves on top of doing good damage. Tactical detonation is great CC.
    You need to gear up to get decent spell Dc and damage but it's worth it. You can get north of 250 force spellpower and 46 DC quite easily on a first life Arti. Ok that's not enough DC for EE gianthold, but nothing is really.
    Pirotesse (battle-trap), Clausius (old style paly), Cadhu (swat fighter), Abysinthe (cleric), Sephiria (sorc), Dragunova (archer), Mauhin (wiz), Muhrahin(wf juggernauth), Azred(tempest), Birebash(sniper cleric), Bashibouzouk (barb), Salud(battle bard), Sniperovitch (repeater), Iraelle(battle cleric)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload