Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Now that I can finally log in and post again, I'll offer some thoughts I jotted down a couple weeks ago.

Palemaster

Core Abilities: Really disappointed that the form toggles are down here, forcing AP to be spent on lousy forms that I never intend to use. If either the AP cost on everything but the capstone was removed, or the chain dependencies between them were severed, this would cease to be an issue. Core Abilities (in all trees) either need to be universally viable, free, or de-chained.

Necrotic Touch/Bolt/Blast: Why were the cooldowns on these doubled? They were weak enough to begin with. I really wish something had been done to make these worthwhile in epics, such as the ability to invest 2/3/4 points in them to unlock Heighten/Empower/Maximize toggles to affect them. As it stands, these are not worth 6 AP. More options to build towards DPS rather than DC should exist: build options are good.

Cloak of Night: This is not worth any AP. Reducing the DPS I take from a few sources of damage, while simultaneously reducing the HPS I receive by the same amount against all sources of damage, is at best a wash and in most practical situations will only hurt my survivability.

Spell Critical: Negative Energy: This needlessly uses up a lot of real estate. Just make this a single 4/4 enhancement to save space.

Skeletal Knight: Can't test right now as this crashes the game, but 15 AP total investment for something that is almost certain to be garbage in epics (this game has always been quite anti-summons) looks like a waste of so much tree real estate.

Master of Death: this is a fairly lame capstone. Undead healing augmentation is not really needed, as PMs are already very survivable and 5% bonus here is hardly noticeable (and considering the Tier 1 Negative Energy Conduit gives 10%, this seems even weaker in comparison). The old capstone (AM capstone now) was far more useful than this. An example of something capstone-worthy would be the ability to convert negative levels, instant death attempts, and negative energy damage into evil damage against things that are death warded. For instance, each negative level that death ward blocks could be converted into 100 evil damage. Each failed save vs instant death that is blocked by death ward could be converted into 1000 evil damage. Negative energy damage that is blocked by death ward could be converted into evil damage at a 1:1 ratio.

One thing I had hoped to see: An ability to repair stat damage while in undead form. A remedy for this is long overdue.

Overall, this tree delivers what is required from it, but lacks any new wow/fun factor. Raise Ally is a fun idea, but I don't foresee actually using it.

Archmage

SLA's (Core Abilities): An inability to take SLA's from your secondary school, or from tertiary schools, will I think effectively kill Archmage as a primary PrE -- I see no compelling reason to play anything other than a primary PM with a dabble in AM for 1 school's SLA's, crit chance and metamagics. On live, an AM can take not only SLAs from his secondary school, but also the level 1 SLA's from any tertiary school he wants (as these require nothing other than the appropriate spell focus feat for that school). For instance, a primary evoker can take the web SLA if his secondary school is conjuration, and also pick up Hypnotism and Necrotic Touch SLAs by taking the enchantment and necromancy spell focus feats. This is a huge loss for Archmage. I don't think this issue can be repaired for as long as these SLAs remain Core Abilities, thus they must be moved elsewhere.

Efficient Metamagics: Break the chain dependencies on these. As it stands, reaching Efficient Heighten would require taking 3 other metamagic feats, and then further spending AP to reduce their cost. I should not have to take the Enlarge or Quicken feats on top of Maximize and Empower, and then cheapen them all, just to take Efficient Heighten. Furthermore, there is no such dependency between metamagic cheapeners on live.

Arcane Bolt/Blast: I really wish something had been done to make these worthwhile in epics, such as the ability to invest 2/3/4 points in them to unlock Heighten/Empower/Maximize toggles to affect them.

Spell Penetration: Condense these into a single enhancement so they don't take up so much space.

Primary School Focus (first rank): This comes pretty late in the tree (leveling concern). If Spell Penetration is condensed into the first tier, this could be moved down a tier, or maybe 2.

Spell Critical Chance: While I appreciate this being more freeing than the corollaries in the Savant Trees, I would appreciate it even more if these could offer a 4/4 investment per enhancement; thus, you could, at your discretion, choose to take +8% crit chance in 4 different lines simultaneously for 32 AP. We need more choices not less.

Community Member

I was quite disappointed with the Wizard enhancements displayed in the Alpha.

My biggest gripe is that the enhancements shown basically compel Wizards to use necromancy as their main, or if they really dislike it their secondary focus.

This is the result of a couple of factors.

1. The AM tree offers at most +4 to INT. The PM tree allows you to derive up to +8 INT from enhancements when using Lich Form, which is the default choice anyway once it becomes available. As a result a PM will have higher DCs for [I]every[I] spell school than an AM, except for the AM's specialty school in which they will be equal.

2. A Wizard focusing on the PM tree can splash enhancements from the AM tree which either further bolster their already formidable necromantic powers, give them a backup option when facing foes not susceptible to Necromancy, or are generally useful to any wizard (spell pen, subtle casting etc). An AM not focused on Necro won't find anything really useful in the PM tree except for a few HP and the extra INT enhancements (which require a large point investment is unwanted skills to unlock).

When building a PM I was actually able to take all the enhancements from the PM I wanted, the first four AM Necro SLAs and the INT enhancements from both trees (giving me a total +10 INT from enhancments when in Lich Form). It was tight, and a few more points for the racial tree would have been nice, but it was possible. The result was insane Necro DCs, excellent DCs in everything else, Quickened SLA Enervation to level drain things at will, heightened SLA Control/Halt undead covering the PMs normally difficulties fighting against undead, and of the course the usual Fort/self healing/immunities benefits of undead form.

3. The AM tree's defining features have been the school specific SLAs and the Arcane Bolt / Blast abilities. The Alpha gutted the former by denying AMs the option of a secondary school to pick SLAs from, and the latter has always been mediocre at best due to low DCs and damage scaling at endgame. The AM is still also hampered by the fact the fact that a large proportion of the spells chosen to become SLAs aren't that good in the first place, and some schools dont even have many spells to choose from / benefit from bonuses in the first place. That leaves the the AM with only very generic enhancements like extra INT, efficient metamagic and wand/scroll power that whilst useful add no real character or specialization to the Wizard.

A few suggestions to make the wizard enhancements better/more balanced.

1. Add at least one more enhancement tree to the Wizard so the AM has something to splash with other than necro based PM abilities that are useless (or thematically inappropriate to the RP inclined) for most AMs.

2. Tone down the amount of INT in the PM tree. The enhanced Lich form could be changed to +1 Necro DC instead of +2 INT. It might also be appropriate to change the INT/CON MES to just CON.

3. Make AMs better at their main school. An additional +1-2 DC and +1 CL/MCL added in somewhere would work wonders. At the very least AMs should be indisputably better in their chosen school than PMs (except for necro where they should be roughly equal).

4. Let us take up to L3 SLAs for a second school. You could make space on the tree by merging the spell pen line into the spell crit line, adding it to the choices possible in the MES.

5. Replace some of the SLAs which better counterparts from same school, or even expand the MES to let us pick between different SLAs from each school where multiple spells exist. I'd like to see a selection of ~10-12 SLAs per level instead of the current seven, even if at each level there would be some schools with just one and others 2-3. Consider being slightly flexible with letting higher level spells function as lower tier SLAs. e.g. making Flesh to Stone a T4 SLA, and then a choice of Tenser's transformation and Disintegrate for T5 might make people give Transmutation a second look.

6. Change the DC on Arcane Bolt / Blast from 12/14 + INT Modifer to 10 + 1/2(Wizard + Epic Levels) + INT modifier. Consider improving the damage by changing the die from 1d6 to 3+1d3 per wizard level or by allowing it to scale up to the level cap, counting epic levels (ie maximum 28d6 instead of 20d6 when the expansion comes out). Giving the AM +1.5 Force spellpower per point spent could also me a way to improve this.

7. Not an enhancement change per se, but some additional illusion/transmutation/abjuration spells would be nice to make specializing in them a viable choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadion View Post
    I was quite disappointed with the Wizard enhancements displayed in the Alpha.

My biggest gripe is that the enhancements shown basically compel Wizards to use necromancy as their main, or if they really dislike it their secondary focus.

This is the result of a couple of factors.

1. The AM tree offers at most +4 to INT. The PM tree allows you to derive up to +8 INT from enhancements when using Lich Form, which is the default choice anyway once it becomes available. As a result a PM will have higher DCs for [I]every[I] spell school than an AM, except for the AM's specialty school in which they will be equal.

2. A Wizard focusing on the PM tree can splash enhancements from the AM tree which either further bolster their already formidable necromantic powers, give them a backup option when facing foes not susceptible to Necromancy, or are generally useful to any wizard (spell pen, subtle casting etc). An AM not focused on Necro won't find anything really useful in the PM tree except for a few HP and the extra INT enhancements (which require a large point investment is unwanted skills to unlock).

When building a PM I was actually able to take all the enhancements from the PM I wanted, the first four AM Necro SLAs and the INT enhancements from both trees (giving me a total +10 INT from enhancments when in Lich Form). It was tight, and a few more points for the racial tree would have been nice, but it was possible. The result was insane Necro DCs, excellent DCs in everything else, Quickened SLA Enervation to level drain things at will, heightened SLA Control/Halt undead covering the PMs normally difficulties fighting against undead, and of the course the usual Fort/self healing/immunities benefits of undead form.

3. The AM tree's defining features have been the school specific SLAs and the Arcane Bolt / Blast abilities. The Alpha gutted the former by denying AMs the option of a secondary school to pick SLAs from, and the latter has always been mediocre at best due to low DCs and damage scaling at endgame. The AM is still also hampered by the fact the fact that a large proportion of the spells chosen to become SLAs aren't that good in the first place, and some schools dont even have many spells to choose from / benefit from bonuses in the first place. That leaves the the AM with only very generic enhancements like extra INT, efficient metamagic and wand/scroll power that whilst useful add no real character or specialization to the Wizard.

A few suggestions to make the wizard enhancements better/more balanced.

1. Add at least one more enhancement tree to the Wizard so the AM has something to splash with other than necro based PM abilities that are useless (or thematically inappropriate to the RP inclined) for most AMs.

2. Tone down the amount of INT in the PM tree. The enhanced Lich form could be changed to +1 Necro DC instead of +2 INT. It might also be appropriate to change the INT/CON MES to just CON.

3. Make AMs better at their main school. An additional +1-2 DC and +1 CL/MCL added in somewhere would work wonders. At the very least AMs should be indisputably better in their chosen school than PMs (except for necro where they should be roughly equal).

4. Let us take up to L3 SLAs for a second school. You could make space on the tree by merging the spell pen line into the spell crit line, adding it to the choices possible in the MES.

5. Replace some of the SLAs which better counterparts from same school, or even expand the MES to let us pick between different SLAs from each school where multiple spells exist. I'd like to see a selection of ~10-12 SLAs per level instead of the current seven, even if at each level there would be some schools with just one and others 2-3. Consider being slightly flexible with letting higher level spells function as lower tier SLAs. e.g. making Flesh to Stone a T4 SLA, and then a choice of Tenser's transformation and Disintegrate for T5 might make people give Transmutation a second look.

6. Change the DC on Arcane Bolt / Blast from 12/14 + INT Modifer to 10 + 1/2(Wizard + Epic Levels) + INT modifier. Consider improving the damage by changing the die from 1d6 to 3+1d3 per wizard level or by allowing it to scale up to the level cap, counting epic levels (ie maximum 28d6 instead of 20d6 when the expansion comes out). Giving the AM +1.5 Force spellpower per point spent could also me a way to improve this.

7. Not an enhancement change per se, but some additional illusion/transmutation/abjuration spells would be nice to make specializing in them a viable choice.
    ^^^^^ THIS

(And my main wiz is a PM, but I think this should be balanced out. I agree that an AM should have better DCs in their main school than a PM does and things are way biased in favor of PM builds...
    All Haiku courtesy of Kayerith: RAID HAIKU!!: Velah isn't scared//we are killing the zombies//Dahliya is mean? <> Running for the hound!//making babbies fight mommy!//Michael Vick Approved <> Do you trust the shroud?//We must fight Harry two times//bring D-R Breakers <> Race haiku!!: Rusties eat war-forged//I laugh at their suffering//the screams are funny <> War-forged have no souls//batteries not included//save your receipt please <> Toaster surfing haiku!!: Jumping in the air//warforged crowding below me//I cannot get down!!! <> Confusion claims me!//which gender has facial hair?//male or female dwarves? <> It cannot be true! // a dwarf with no beard appears!//ABOMINATION!!
    http://orderoftheemeraldclaw.guildlaunch.com/

No. We need a general tree for the Wizard class and smaller prestige trees. They are arbitrarily adding to the prestige trees enhancements that any wizard should have. Every wizard needs intelligence and metamagics. That's not exclusive of PM, or AM, or WM, or any prestige. Int for all wizards and more DC for specific schools in the prestiges.

And this needs to be universal. We need a general tree for each of the classes (fighter, rogue, wizard, sorcerer, cleric, and so on), and smaller prestiges with specialized skills. Universal enhancements shouldn’t go in prestige tree. And this would solve many of the problems of this Alpha.
    Last edited by Iriale; 06-10-2013 at 05:22 AM.
    English is not my native language. Sorry for the mistakes.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by btolson View Post
    An example of something capstone-worthy would be the ability to convert negative levels, instant death attempts, and negative energy damage into evil damage against things that are death warded. For instance, each negative level that death ward blocks could be converted into 100 evil damage. Each failed save vs instant death that is blocked by death ward could be converted into 1000 evil damage. Negative energy damage that is blocked by death ward could be converted into evil damage at a 1:1 ratio.
    Good idea, either this or something like it. Immunities are game-breakers and it's always best to give things high saving throws and a small chance to fail rather than complete immunity.

Community Member

Make the costs of the forms lower. Permanent payment from SP max does not work as these are autogrants, but reduce the cost to... half possibly?
    I started a thread with this suggestion, and nobody liked it. So good luck getting support for that. But if no one likes the new changes, then perhaps they will see it our way.

Community Member

Default Zombie

New Level 3 access makes it multiclass friendly. However Lesser Death Aura is only 1d4 healing and you have to consider the implications of building say a Barbarian/Zombie for later levels when you will need far more healing than that.

To try and fix the multiclass healing problem we might decide zombies because of their fleshy composition are able to partly benefit from positive energy as a healing source. And only for gameplay reasons otherwise what we are trying to achieve with the shroud is unviable.

Zombies should move slowly not attack slowly. Movement penalties are still a pretty hefty disability to cope with as is. Attack speed penalties - given the multiclass gearing - are just plain silly, it's like making a car that only has one wheel.

* Shroud of the Zombie *

-20% Movement speed
    +2 Strength
    -2 Intelligence
    +5 physical resistance
    +20 to maximum HP (and +20 temporary HP when shroud is activated)
    +2 DR (initially 2/- but stacks with *all* other DR the character possesses)
    Lurch
    Stagger
    Cadaverous
    Rotting

Special Abilities

* Lurch: combat attack deals 1[W] to a single target and paralyses on a critical hit
    * Stagger: activated ability causes the zombie to stagger forward, briefly increasing it's movement speed by 25% for 2 to 3 seconds.
    * Cadaverous: Heals 75% of amount and unharmed by positive energy healing spells.
    * Rotting: The zombie releases a nauseous stench that lowers all nearby enemy Fortitude saving throws by -2 (not stackable). Triggers when the zombie is hit or when activated for 5 HP cost.

Notes

* Converted the +2 CON to a +20 HP bonus. This gives the character the full 20 level HP bonus straight away for the tradeoff of losing the +1 to Fortitude save.
    * Lowered the DR to 2 but made it stackable. This improves tanking with other DR abilities like Stoneskin, Barbarian DR, Angelskin, Warforged DR etc.
    * Rotting Flesh means that the shroud is still useful for spellcasting because of it's ability to debuff Fortitude saves.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aolas View Post
    New Level 3 access makes it multiclass friendly. However Lesser Death Aura is only 1d4 healing and you have to consider the implications of building say a Barbarian/Zombie for later levels when you will need far more healing than that.

To try and fix the multiclass healing problem we might decide zombies because of their fleshy composition are able to partly benefit from positive energy as a healing source. And only for gameplay reasons otherwise what we are trying to achieve with the shroud is unviable.

Zombies should move slowly not attack slowly. Movement penalties are still a pretty hefty disability to cope with as is. Attack speed penalties - given the multiclass gearing - are just plain silly, it's like making a car that only has one wheel.

* Shroud of the Zombie *

-20% Movement speed
    +2 Strength
    -2 Intelligence
    +5 physical resistance
    +20 to maximum HP (and +20 temporary HP when shroud is activated)
    +2 DR (initially 2/- but stacks with *all* other DR the character possesses)
    Lurch
    Stagger
    Cadaverous
    Rotting

Special Abilities

* Lurch: combat attack deals 1[W] to a single target and paralyses on a critical hit
    * Stagger: activated ability causes the zombie to stagger forward, briefly increasing it's movement speed by 25% for 2 to 3 seconds.
    * Cadaverous: Heals 75% of amount and unharmed by positive energy healing spells.
    * Rotting: The zombie releases a nauseous stench that lowers all nearby enemy Fortitude saving throws by -2 (not stackable). Triggers when the zombie is hit or when activated for 5 HP cost.

Notes

* Converted the +2 CON to a +20 HP bonus. This gives the character the full 20 level HP bonus straight away for the tradeoff of losing the +1 to Fortitude save.
    * Lowered the DR to 2 but made it stackable. This improves tanking with other DR abilities like Stoneskin, Barbarian DR, Angelskin, Warforged DR etc.
    * Rotting Flesh means that the shroud is still useful for spellcasting because of it's ability to debuff Fortitude saves.
    If they did Cadaverous, then that should cancel negative energy effects. It would be too powerful to be healed by both, and sorry but wizards are already too powerful. In which case, they should be treated like constructs as far as healing effects. Or how about something like "zombie regeneration" that slowly recovers HP when they drop below 50%.
    Not agreeing with the physical resistance and damage reduction. If anything, they should get DR 5/Slashing or whichever amount zombies actually have. You already get 100% fortification while in an undead form, but changing that to Exceptional Fortification might be interesting.
    Also, not sure I agree with your reasoning with attack and movement somehow not being connected. What forces would only effect a zombie's legs but not its arms? Perhaps lowering the attack and movement penalty to 15% would be a better trade-off, because it can be countered by buffs and equipment most people already have.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by soulaeon View Post
    and sorry but wizards are already too powerful.
    Just de-railing the thread then.

In which case, they should be treated like constructs as far as healing effects.
    So every race of wizard can self heal with repair spells? Seriously?

It would be too powerful to be healed by both
    50HP negative healing is exactly same as 50HP positive healing, where is the advantage? Cadaverous 75% positive so no I disagree. Anyone can make statements without explaining themselves, which you need to do if you want anyone to listen to you.

Also, not sure I agree with your reasoning with attack and movement somehow not being connected.
    Lotta people with a slow brain to figure things out that can run just fine.

And do you honestly think a Wizard is going to ever use Zombie again once they have Wraith or Lich? Zombie is just for low level utility and for multiclassing. If you couldn't understand that it's fine but I did explain in the first few paragraphs why we needed to make certain adjustments. I can't really excuse you for not reading and you didn't provide any logical reasoning to prove why "X&Y" idea would be a problem so we are all none the wiser. -1 for your post, unfortunately.

Default 2nd school mastery

I see in the letter from Maj that an Archmage still only has access to the one line of SLA, auto granted as the core enhancements. The second line is KEY for some good wizard builds and it would be a real loss if it was not re-established. Perhaps have this second line take up the 5 levels of the tree (maybe replace the wand/scroll mastery) and require the specialization feat (as on live) in order to have access to it.
    Because DDO content is created by hand, some issues cannot be fixed with a global change. We must fix these issues one-by-one by hand with the help of bug reports. This includes:
    Ladder issues: please include the /loc when reporting a ladder issue

Community Member

I dont understand one thing. N.E.conduit give us vulnerability to neg.energy but Cloak of night give as resistance to pos., neg. energy and others, so does cloak of night completely negates the n.e. conduit?

(I stated this in another post earlier, coz i forgot that I want to ask it here, so sorry for duplicate)

Default Some Progress, but Work Still Needed on the Archmage Tree

So, I logged in to Lammania on both my cleric and my warforged Archmage to see how they would fare in this newest rendition of the enhancement pass, as I was most unhappy with how these two classes fared in the previous one (I like most of the other changes in other classes). I was quite happy with the new cleric tree, but with archmage there were some good elements and some things which need work still. I'll start with the good-

1) My spellpower is significantly higher on Lamma than on live. I was actually surprised by this, as I expected it to be a bit lower with a renewed emphasis on the new spellcraft skill making up the difference, and yet with no investment yet in spellcraft I found my spellpower to be higher, which is a nice change. I have no idea why this is the case, the math doesnt work in my mind, but either way I'll take it.

2) My hitpoints are a bit higher, probably due to the fact I can poach 15 from the PM tree (which makes no sense from a roleplaying persepctive, but whatever), and can get more from being WF than before.

3) SLAs are still meta-able, for no extra sp cost, which is an important continuity with live. From the comments I've read here it seems like many havent tried it out and are worried this isnt the case, but it is.

4) I can still focuse a little bit on certain elemental lines than others through increasing their spell crit chances, or can generalize, but in either case I can have some focus while not totally gimping other elements due to highe spellpower, which gives me more versatility than on live and hence more fun, imo.

5) Most of the goodies I can currently get from Archmage such as higher Spell Pen and the Wizard Capstone are still around.

Yet despite these positive elements, I don't think the devs are done on this one, and I think this tree still needs the most work of all class trees currently available, esp. since its one of only two available to Wizards (Protector, for instance, isnt great, but its less important to fix since we have two great trees to draw from on clerics).

1) As has pretty much been universally acknowledged, there absolutely needs to be a way to get SLAs out of other than the chosen school. I don't really see anyone suggesting that we can have an attractive archmage specialty outside of doing this, so I's be so bold as to suggest that its really the fundamental change we need. I do realize that currently SLAs are all core enhancments for AM and this makes it structurally challenging to do, but it really isnt negotiable if we want Wizards to be anything more than creepy undead necromancers. Yet I wont criticize without offering possible solutions, so here we go-

a) Keep the specialty SLAs as Core Enhancments as shown, but create a secondary line in tree form, possibly allowing for choices at each level to allow for second and third specialties as needed. The options can come right out of current choices from the core, but from either a consistent secondary line or simply a free choice at each level. This would enhancment the AM option by giving more sp-free, meta-able choices and silence the number one criticism of this tree.

b) A second way to do this would be by simply unlocking all options and allowing a free choice at each tier of the core. This is a far less desirable option, imo, as it dilutes the specialist focus conceptually and offers less versatility than the prior suggestion, but even so it is a subtantial improvement from the current lackluster system, and certainly would be easy to implement as it would only involve unlocking all options at each tier of the core.

2) As also has been mention, the DCs definitely need to be jacked much higher than +2/+1 to primary/secondary schools. Right now, as others have pointed out, AMs are inferior to PMs in these areas, and yet they should be the masters. Something like +4 in a primary and +2 in a secondary would be a bit more reasonable. I do agree with putting these in tier 5 so that PMs can't steal the same benefit, but the bump up needs to be much more noticeable. I'm not sure what the point of my specialized holdbot would be, for instance, if a PM can make them dance better than a character who is specced for it. Given this reality, improvement is needed here.

3) While a minor issue, the wand heightening thing is an interesting issue. Its been decried since the first pass went live, and was even made fun of on ddocast, so the player message about this useless enhancment is clear, and yet here the second round has come around and we still see it as a prereq for the popular wand mastery enhancement. This makes one wonder, why are the dev so interested in promoting a Harry Potter world where wizards whirl around dueling with wands? Most players are simply suggesting getting rid of it, but there is another possible solution as well, and maybe there are plans to make offensive wands more relevant in the next update. The enhancment is useless now because there aren't currently any offensive wands of a high enough level to be meaningful at end game. Yet one can also fix this problem by simply adding in a reliable in-game store to purchases high level wands. If, for instance, the perk of becoming an honorary member of the 12 (which currently is a useless favor achievement) would be gaining access to an in-game store where one could buy level 20 offensive wands, arcanes might start using them at least supplementally when sp is low, and as such the heightening to level 23 might mean something. In either case, this either needs to be taken out of the tree or made meaningful, but not committing to either direction only justifies current player discontent over the issue.

So, in short, I think the devs have generally done a great job with responding to player feedback over many issues pertaining to this pass, but am concerned that in regards to the above three issues, over which there seems to be almost universal consensus by the player base on the forums, there seems to be silence. I think for those like myself who prefer the classic Archmage vision of the wizard class, it would be a relief to know that some sort of compromise will be reached on these before the final pass goes live.

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

If the Displacement SLA in the Archmage tree could target other party members like the Elf Displacement Dragonmark can, it might give players some motivation to splash in some Wizard levels and take the Illusion path. Right now the description in the SLA says it targets "Self, Friend". This makes sense because there wouldn't really be a reason to go the Illusion route if it was self only, but the SLA only works on self like the regular Displacement spell.

Is it not WAI or is it a misprint in the SLA description?

Quote Originally Posted by Leclaire1 View Post
    3) SLAs are still meta-able, for no extra sp cost, which is an important continuity with live. From the comments I've read here it seems like many havent tried it out and are worried this isnt the case, but it is.
    The prestige SLAs are not meta-able. (PM necrotic bolt/blast, AM arcane bolt/blast.)

So, in short, I think the devs have generally done a great job with responding to player feedback over many issues pertaining to this pass
    Was there a single change to either wizard tree in this pass? I'm not seeing any.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    The prestige SLAs are not meta-able. (PM necrotic bolt/blast, AM arcane bolt/blast.)

You are correct, for some inexplicable reason these still are not meta-able, which they need to be in order to be relevant and worth taking. I dont have them on live because I dont get enough DPS mileage to make it worthwhile. I was going to add this as a fourth point, but forgot for some reason. It really doesnt make any sense why they havent changed this.

Was there a single change to either wizard tree in this pass? I'm not seeing any.
    Again, I think your critique is correct here. I think important fixes were made to other classes such as cleric, and there are some good features in here generally that arent in live (getting rid of the stupid add and subtract sp mechanic), but there really hasnt been much substantive change that I can see between the first pass and this one. This is also despite the fact that the three points I've highlighted and the additional one regarding the prestige SLAs have been, as far as I've seen on the forums, pretty much universal critiques. I imagine they've just been focused on adding the cleric tree, the seven tree system, and fixing other bugs, but they really do need to at least give some confirmation that they want to fix this as well since it is at the moment one of the more glaring weaknesses in the system.

Is it strictly necessary for the SLAs that players take in the Archmage tree to all be of the same school? It would be nice to be able to get a choice of which ones we get, regardless of which one was chosen in the previous core ability. After all, no wizard only uses *one* spell school.

In fact, let me suggest that it might be a good idea to change AM core abilities so that the player can choose from any spell from the their list of known spells of that level to take, but at the price of a spell slot. Wizards have *plenty* of spell slots, and can switch them out at any shrine or tavern. It's a small price to pay for an SLA with free metamagics.
    Last edited by HatsuharuZ; 07-01-2013 at 12:23 AM.

Community Member

I am not sure if this was WAI but on the current preview my PM that has SF/GSF Necro/Enchant was able to take the Archmage Evo line through tier 5 after taking everything I wanted in the PM tree. (I find the summons a trap so I didn't take any of that). I found and bug reported that the Fireshield SLA was not able to be usable as it showed up as a passive ability and not able to go on a bar. My current build only has Extend, Maximize, Quicken and Heighten and I hate how Heighten is a tier 5 Archmage line. That is the only meta reduction I use or even want on live for Heightened webs among other things. I just don't use metas as much on live as I do with my Sorc.

Surprisingly I had just a little more Spell Power than on live but there is just no real ability to get any of the crit lines anymore and that is rather frustrating.

The toon played alright in the limited time I had to test it but it seems a strange thing to me.
    Founding Member and Current Leader of Sword And Siren on Cannith
    Main Toons: Cerafim | GrumpyKuss | Thextor | Khrysti | RocHound | Artychoke | Buggzapper

Veni, Vidi, Velcro: I came, I saw, I got stuck

Palemasters are still missing a way to harm themselves.
    Make it part of the capstone, or move Necrotic Blast down one tier and use it as a pre-req for a Harm SLA on tier 5. Or give us Harm in our spellbooks. Or make "Necrotic ray" be able to be cast on self.

The "negative energy amplification" effect on self is nice and all, but still way too weak.

With reconstruction SLA being given to Bladeforged, which hits for ~500 HP anyone who invested a bit in it (repair amplification and a reconstruction spell power item, that's all), I do not understand why palemasters still have to use an extremely SP-expensive spell that gives at best ~250 HP back.
    Owy Evoker FvS / Praledric Completionist Qstaff Rogue/Monk/Druid / Laraeph DC Wizard / Laraelph AA Monk/Ranger/Pally / Gaenry Shiradi Sorc/FvS/Wiz / Reasis SWF Pally & numerous others
    The Leveller for DDO!

Community Member

Please change the cooldown of necrotic touch, bolt and blast back to 3 seconds. 1 AP each would be nice too.
    Otherwise they will not be usable at all.

Community Member AylinIsAwesome's Avatar

Instead of Master of Death granting +5% negative energy healing, I'd prefer if it granted Harm as a level 6 spell

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast