Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default fighters and byoh

Looking for advice here. I am looking to start a fighter, of course many times you need to make sure you have your own source of healing. how is this best done with a fighter? Their UMD is very low, so do you need to just carry a large stack of potions?

edit: would being half-elf with the ranger feat help out?

Community Member

That rather depends on you. Do you want to stay pure Fighter or are you willing to multiclass?
    Quote Originally Posted by gphysalis View Post
    Average man learns from his mistakes
    Foolish man does not learn from his mistakes
    Wise man learns from other's mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel666 View Post
    That rather depends on you. Do you want to stay pure Fighter or are you willing to multiclass?
    well I was hoping to be pure fighter, I'm am looking for the best way to be self sufficient if I want to do that. Right now that looks like potions to me, but maybe there are some other tricks (such as asked half elf question)

I did a fighter life with my main, and I carried stacks of pots. When I was in a group that either didn't have a healer, or had a healer that preferred not to heal, I would stop periodically and chug pots.

I know a lot of people are in favor of everyone building self-sufficiency into each character, but I like the flavor. If you build a character that can't self heal to a great degree (since everyone can self heal to some degree) then you are just going to run with groups that have a healer willing to help, or you are going to have to post your own LFM's and bring a hireling cleric.

Even without UMD, I thought the fighter life was a breeze. Swing greataxe, kill stuff, chug some pots, repeat. I think that was his third life, and it went by in no time.
    All on Thelanis: Archenpaul Sixblade, Archernicus Thornwood, Gregorovic Redcloak, Hermanius Brightblade, Jaklomeo Evermug, Jonathraxius Kane, and Praetoreus Silvershield.

Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverwyrm View Post
    do you need to just carry a large stack of potions?
    Many people choose to carry many small stacks of potions.

Silver flame pots provide a lot of healing, but only stack to 10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    Grease is the only party buff
    Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    talk about your exploits
    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    DDO is not PnP. This is by design

I accomplished umd use on my fighter by splashing a level of bard. Also dropping starting strength to 16 and starting with a 16 intelligence for skill points. Mine was an elf and i also wanted to access the extend metamagic for his shadow dragonmarks. That's why i took bard. Rogue or artificer would open umd too. I also fit in the skill focus umd feat.

If you go with the umd method, I highly advise maxing out concentration to go with the umd, or you will never be able to use the heal scrolls when you are getting hit.

My preferred way for a pure fighter is half-elf with cleric dilly (as getting UMD would require a lot of gear and work). This gives you 95% chance on heal scrolls, as well as many other useful scrolls with high to no-fail chances.

An alternative is to splash 2+ levels of rogue, which is a strong splash anyways, and get UMD.

I've personally used both methods to level to cap.
    Eternal Infinity: Wruntjunior ~ DI Sorc // Youngwrunt ~ Survivalist Paladin // Wruntarrow ~ Monkcher // Wruntsonmonk ~ Wis-Based Monk

Pots, healing amp and the usual ways of avoiding getting hit - stun them, trip them, paralyze them etc, and damage mitigation.

Aim for silver flame pots for the later levels. I tried that on my second fighter life and it worked nice.

Helf with cleric dilly worked nicely on my third life but I prefered using the SF pots than stopping to heal scroll myself (and others).

Stay pure

Quote Originally Posted by WruntJunior View Post
    My preferred way for a pure fighter is half-elf with cleric dilly (as getting UMD would require a lot of gear and work). This gives you 95% chance on heal scrolls, as well as many other useful scrolls with high to no-fail chances.

An alternative is to splash 2+ levels of rogue, which is a strong splash anyways, and get UMD.

I've personally used both methods to level to cap.
    what would the difference be between cleric and ranger as far as scroll/wand use?

Community Member

what would the difference be between cleric and ranger as far as scroll/wand use?
    Rangers can use up to Cure Serious Wounds but need UMD for higher.

Cleric can use all Divine Wands and Scrolls.
    Quote Originally Posted by gphysalis View Post
    Average man learns from his mistakes
    Foolish man does not learn from his mistakes
    Wise man learns from other's mistakes

Look at the improved dilly enhancements rather than just the feats.

Ranger - up to CSW wands.

Cleric - up to CCW wands, Heal Scrolls (95% chance), Raise Dead, Greater Restoration (75%), etc.
    Eternal Infinity: Wruntjunior ~ DI Sorc // Youngwrunt ~ Survivalist Paladin // Wruntarrow ~ Monkcher // Wruntsonmonk ~ Wis-Based Monk

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel666 View Post
    Rangers can use up to Cure Serious Wounds but need UMD for higher.

Cleric can use all Divine Wands and Scrolls.
    aight, thanks!

Looks like I'll be bale to figure this out then,t hanks for all the advice guys

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Self-healing for fighter (and barbs):

• Stock up on Cure pots (or Repair if WF).
    • Stock up on Silver Flame pots; don't become available until about ~lvl 15, though, since you need 400 SF Favor. EDIT: also the -10 penalty to stats & saves really sucks.
    • Multiclass with something which adds Cure spells and/or UMD to your build.
    • Max out UMD; though on a pure ftr it takes a lot of gear to hit the magic UMD 39 mark.
    • HE w/cleric dilly; drawback is having to put 5 pts into WIS which is otherwise a dump stat for a pure ftr. Also, trying to Heal-scroll mid-fight on a `toon w/out any Concentration can be a little...challenging. FvS dilly is almost as good, if you want higher CHA than WIS for some reason, but you have a higher fail chance with Heal scrolls.
    • Bring a healer hireling: usually not acceptable in BYOH PUGs, but good enough for soloing most content.
    Last edited by unbongwah; 04-17-2013 at 04:00 PM.

My pure helf fighter hits 40 umd self-buffed at level 25, I took Skill Focus: Use Magical Device, use the Epic Spare Hand for +3 UMD (that item is pretty much best in slot for my build anyway), a +6 charisma skills item and I have 13 base cha for paladin dilettante. It's definitely possible, though slightly gear intensive, but it's very rewarding, since aside from the obvious heal/raise you can no-fail GH, displacement, tenser's transformation et al, all greatly useful buffs for a fighter.

While leveling, I used cleric dilettante and swapped it out at cap (I ended up having to LR because I decided midway that I wanted paladin dilettante, if you start with FvS dilettante, you don't have that problem).

I join BYOH groups for eh quests quite often on him, and the extra healing amplification from half-elf (even more if monk dilettante) makes it even easier to self-heal with scrolls/sf pots.
    Last edited by DarkForte; 04-17-2013 at 04:08 PM.
    Nerdrage/Endgame ~ Sarlona
    Ekkehart (human PM) - Hammet (WF AM) - Cerussite (helf THF kensei) - Anordineth (helf dark monk)
    Buy my stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Self-healing for fighter (and barbs):

• Stock up on Cure pots (or Repair if WF).
    • Stock up on Silver Flame pots; don't become available until about ~lvl 15, though, since you need 400 SF Favor. EDIT: also the -10 penalty to stats & saves really sucks.
    • Multiclass with something which adds Cure spells and/or UMD to your build.
    • Max out UMD; though on a pure ftr it takes a lot of gear to hit the magic UMD 39 mark.
    • HE w/cleric dilly; drawback is having to put 5 pts into WIS which is otherwise a dump stat for a pure ftr. Also, trying to Heal-scroll mid-fight on a `toon w/out any Concentration can be a little...challenging. FvS dilly is almost as good, if you want higher CHA than WIS for some reason, but you have a higher fail chance with Heal scrolls.
    • Bring a healer hireling: usually not acceptable in BYOH PUGs, but good enough for soloing most content.
    One thing. If you (1) plan to do EH or EE and (2) plan to scroll-heal yourself...not having concentration makes little difference. Outside of having enough for arrows to not make you fail (which helps a bit, that's true)...you're better off learning how to learn to move to heal scroll around enemies than trying to self-heal through brute damage (that's what emergency items like LoH if a paladin, or in this case as a fighter Silver Flame pots, are for).

Pure Human fighter, 39umd with just a gh. Granted, I started with 15 cha, but I only had a +3 tome. Not sure of the actual breakdown, but the only gear I have is a +6 cha item, +2 good luck, and +6 cha skills goggles. Oh and the spider mask for that lovely +1. Then I just throw heal scrolls on myself whenever I can. No arti past lives, no better tomes, no twists, none of that. Think it comes out to...umm....breakdown, need a breakdown...

11.5 base
    7 charisma
    5 epic
    2 Luck
    1 mask
    6 Skillz yo
    Equals...32, 36 with gh. Ok where am I getting that last 3....umm....

Oh....I took the skill focus feat for it...that's where, that's right....
    De'Corenai of Argonessen. If you've seen me, you know what I'm talking about.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dieterstrife View Post
    Pure Human fighter, 39umd with just a gh. Granted, I started with 15 cha, but I only had a +3 tome. Not sure of the actual breakdown, but the only gear I have is a +6 cha item, +2 good luck, and +6 cha skills goggles. Oh and the spider mask for that lovely +1. Then I just throw heal scrolls on myself whenever I can. No arti past lives, no better tomes, no twists, none of that. Think it comes out to...umm....breakdown, need a breakdown...

11.5 base
    7 charisma
    5 epic
    2 Luck
    1 mask
    6 Skillz yo
    Equals...32, 36 with gh. Ok where am I getting that last 3....umm....

Oh....I took the skill focus feat for it...that's where, that's right....
    How many items are worn and how many are swapped? GS for 6 cha skills is a swap? Mask is a swap?

I'm in the same quandary as the OP, planning a StD life and want to be as self-sufficient as possible, but I want to sacrifice as little as possible to get there. Starting with 15 cha is a fairly big sacrifice. Blowing a feat on SF: UMD is a fairly big sacrifice. Wearing 3 items to raise charisma/cha skills is a major sacrifice.

I've considered running a paladin life instead for the healing/buffing/saves which would also dictate more cha for better UMD, but I'm not super thrilled about giving up 9ish feats and any chance of using tactics feats.

Quote Originally Posted by Inouk View Post
    How many items are worn and how many are swapped? GS for 6 cha skills is a swap? Mask is a swap?

I'm in the same quandary as the OP, planning a StD life and want to be as self-sufficient as possible, but I want to sacrifice as little as possible to get there. Starting with 15 cha is a fairly big sacrifice. Blowing a feat on SF: UMD is a fairly big sacrifice. Wearing 3 items to raise charisma/cha skills is a major sacrifice.

I've considered running a paladin life instead for the healing/buffing/saves which would also dictate more cha for better UMD, but I'm not super thrilled about giving up 9ish feats and any chance of using tactics feats.
    Mask is a cosmetic that is layered on top of your standard helmet. It's from the motu preorder. It's more like a perma buff than anything else. The gs cha skills item could be a swap or not depending on content and the rest of your gear. If you put sp on it you could use it for cocoon, and you'll want it on to boost your intim in any content that needs it. In ee dq you need something like 100+ intim if you want it to not fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Dieterstrife View Post
    Pure Human fighter, 39umd with just a gh. Granted, I started with 15 cha, but I only had a +3 tome.
    You can start with 8 cha if you use the T2 or T3 epic spare hand (and frankly, why wouldn't you on a tactical fighter?).

Few things...
    - Keep in mind you're only hitting big numbers when you cap.
    - SF: UMD isn't that big a sacrifice when you have 21 feats to work with.
    - Itemization only 'wastes' one piece of gear really: a cha skills +6 item. +7 cha can be slotted pretty much anywhere on the new GH items. Epic spare hand comes with +3 UMD, has 2 slots, +3% DS and combat mastery +5. There's very little that compares to that kind of utility.
    Last edited by DarkForte; 04-18-2013 at 12:06 PM.
    Nerdrage/Endgame ~ Sarlona
    Ekkehart (human PM) - Hammet (WF AM) - Cerussite (helf THF kensei) - Anordineth (helf dark monk)
    Buy my stuff!

I don't swap anything. The Good luck is on my helm, as is my +6 charisma (EH Black helm). My goggles are my Cha Skills, only because I can just umd true seeing and I actually use those spell points on occasion (such as Cocoon, as stated earlier). If I eventually pull a Dream visor the goggles will become a swap, but until then I just use them as is. Plus it's lit2 guard, which in a mob it's a nice little thing to see it pop up and help kill those pesky EE baddies.

Yes I admit having SF:UMD on him is a big sacrifice, but currently I am unable to get my stunning blow to levels that I want (I really can't get it above 60 reliably) so I don't use that specific feat. I will eventually trade it out for something a lot more useful, but as of now it was a spare feat. I had 21 of them anyway. The starting 15 cha is also a major thing I get bashed for, and when I pull a +4 cha tome (and some other +4's. I have really bad luck with those) I'll LR and lower it to a more reasonable level.

As for the Spare hand and the +3 umd on there, I really REALLY need to farm that out. The Doublestrike on it is moot because my shield will eventually have +6% on it (fire/air/dontcare alche shield) and the tactic boost actually is a good thing to have. I personally don't use stunning blow only because I am a w.h.o.r.e. numbers and I can't get it high enough for my personal tastes, though Improved Sunder makes it very handy.

I'd link you the yourddo page for him, but he's all buggered out...

Edit: I did get really used to using the base Flameward while I was leveling. From lvl 14 on I was able to have a decent chance of using a res scroll on someone, which made life a lot easier. If I can get that epiced (HAHAHAHAHAHAHA) I'll probably use that more often. Get the Spare hand and +2 cha from a ship and I would have....48umd.
    Last edited by Dieterstrife; 04-19-2013 at 02:38 AM.
    De'Corenai of Argonessen. If you've seen me, you know what I'm talking about.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast