Thread: Diary of a Duo

Community Member

Default Diary of a Duo

My good friend and I have recently started playing DDO. It's my third time to play in total -- when it was new, then about 2 years ago, and now for the third time. My highest level guys are 14 and 12. My friend is new to DDO. We are both VIP right now.

My build is the juggernaut build, warforged with 2 monk, 2 paladin, and the rest artificer. I will be the DPS, the tank, and the traps guy. And eventually a second healer.

His build is a pure warforged wizard (archmage). He wanted to do an almost pure CC/healer role, so he is enchantment and conjuration focused so far, using mostly charms and stuns and holds and webs.

We are currently level 7, and haven't repeated a quest yet. We will try to maintain this goal as long as possible.

We've done all the level 1, 2, and 3 quests so far, every one on elite. (Our elite streak is at around 40 now). STK was the only quest where we had to use a hireling so far, as my trap skills were not up to par at 5th level with only one level in artificer, so we had to get a rogue hireling to get past the fire trap room.

Quest History:
    -Kortos Quests got us to level 3.
    -Misc Harbor Quests, including the Warehouse series got us level 4.
    -Waterworks and some other miscellaneous Harbor quests got us level 5.
    -Catacombs and STK got us level 6.
    -Sharn Syndicate, some misc marketplace quests, and finishing up the last couple Harbor quests got us about 90% to 7.
    -The first 4 quests in Tangleroot got us level 7
    -Finishing Tangleroot got us about 7.5

Next Up:
    -Depths of Despair/Darkness/Doom/Discord
    -Necropolis Part 1 (Hoping to get level 8 here)
    -Any other misc level 4 quest we haven't done
    -Three Barrel Cove
    -Delera's Tomb up to Thrall of the Necromancer (Hoping to get level 9 here)
    -Phiarlan Carnival
    -Any other misc level 5 quest we haven't done
    -Sentinels of Stormreach
    -Threnal (Should get level 10 here if not before)
    -Any other misc level 6 quest we haven't done (Devil Assault?)
    -Sorrowdusk Isle
    -Necropolis Part 2
    -Vault of Night up to the raids (I assume you can't 2 man the raids?) (Level 11 if not before?)
    -Any other misc level 7 quest we haven't done

I'm not really sure how long we can go without repeating quests, but it looks pretty good so far... Any thoughts or recommendations? Has anyone else done this before so I can read their adventure log posts instead of making my own?
    Last edited by Zoblefu; 04-17-2013 at 08:26 AM.

Community Member

It looks like you are off to a great start. I never kept an adventure log but I can tell you I usually farm Jungle of Khyber (aka Von 3 - level 9 quest), the Wizard King.(level 12 quest) and running with the devils (level 16). Beyond that you won't need to farm many quests on your first life. You may find some quests difficult to 2-man on elite at higher levels. Just get a party for those as even with scaling they are usually much easier with a full party.

Devil Assault is a bit different as the normal version is level 6, hard level 12 and I think elite is 18. I never did it below elite because I thought it would break my streak although I was told it wouldn't (haven't confirmed it). Just don't try going into Devil Assault on Elite @ level 8 unless you want to see how tough level 18 mobs are. That quest is the only one I know of that works that way.
    CC Casting Druid: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...C-Summer-Build
    Shiradi Wiz Plan for 1st Lifers: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-First-Lifers
    U25 Patch 1 Dex Halfling Assassin Build: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...x-Assassin-1-0
    Warlock DC Caster: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ld-Blast-Build

Several characters on Sarlona all starting with "Rand" in the Guild "Guardians of House Cannith". My main four characters are Randowl (18 rogue 2 artificer mechanic - hope to go back to DC casting some day), Randslar (Bard 14 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 2 Swashbuckler), Randek (Druid CC Caster 17/Fvs 3) and Randomall (Rogue 20 assassin).

Even as a 3rd life, with a streak going you never really have to repeat any quests. I did most of my lives like that in a semi static group.

I think that you will really enjoy it!

Try and have fun, play the way you want to play and not the "best" way - the cookie cutter path that everyone tries to force on everyone else.

Community Member

Good to know, thanks. I figured by a 3rd life you would have to be repeating quests a lot.. really I figured even on first life we would end up having to grind quests after a certain level. Having a blast so far.

Any quests (non-raid) that we can't duo?
    Any raids we can duo?

Quote Originally Posted by Zoblefu View Post
    Any quests (non-raid) that we can't duo?
    Any raids we can duo?
    There are a couple that can be difficult to duo without previous knowledge, and a few that require you to split up, which can be quite difficult if you're not used to flying somewhat solo. Xorian Cipher and Tomb of the Burning heart require four pressure plates to be hit at the same time, but this can be accomplished if each of you has a hireling.

The Crucible can be duoed, but be prepared for a long play session as you learn it.

You should be able to duo the Demon Queen raid in the sands, but it will be quite a challenge at-level without the gear you'll come across later in the game. Other raids can be duoed, but can be quite difficult without the gear and previous knowledge of them. Worth giving it a shot, though!

As others have said, there is plenty of xp to get through a first life without repeating quests. You'll actually find yourself leveling faster than you can complete content at level.

Good luck, and have fun!

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

As for not repeating quests, I did experiments to find out.

On a first life toon, you don't have to do all the quests at all to cap, let alone repeating them.

On a 2nd life tr toon, I have successfully done every quest that does NOT have an epic version once on elite and moved on, and she capped with no problems.

On a 3rd life toon, I did every quest in the game once on elite, and had to grind a few sands slayers at level 14 and a few vale/orchard ones at level 17, but capped with no problems.

My next plan is to try a third life toon doing e/h runs on every non-epic quest to see how that works, as I maintain it's a choice to farm the quests with epic to death to level faster rather than the necessity some players have assured me it is.

You have a lot of options how you want to level, enjoy them.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Community Member LoveNeverFails's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityTurtle View Post
    As for not repeating quests, I did experiments to find out.

On a first life toon, you don't have to do all the quests at all to cap, let alone repeating them.

On a 2nd life tr toon, I have successfully done every quest that does NOT have an epic version once on elite and moved on, and she capped with no problems.

On a 3rd life toon, I did every quest in the game once on elite, and had to grind a few sands slayers at level 14 and a few vale/orchard ones at level 17, but capped with no problems.

My next plan is to try a third life toon doing e/h runs on every non-epic quest to see how that works, as I maintain it's a choice to farm the quests with epic to death to level faster rather than the necessity some players have assured me it is.

You have a lot of options how you want to level, enjoy them.
    This is good to know that it is possible to do. I appreciate your hard, grindy work. lol

Proud member of Sarlona's The Unrepentant. Gaming without pants since June 5, 2011

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by LoveNeverFails View Post
    This is good to know that it is possible to do. I appreciate your hard, grindy work. lol
    LOL I didn't grind! Even the slayers where I use the word, basically I put on the headphones and just indulged in a little mass murder while giggling madly, I could have just repeated a few quests on hard instead but didn't want to. Instead of grinding the same quest over and over, I was doing everything once and moving on and having an absolute blast.

I can't really even claim hard work either you tried to give me credit for, it's more fun to me and has since become my personal static groups leveling plan as they enjoyed it more than grinding quests too.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Quote Originally Posted by Zoblefu View Post

Quest History:
    -Kortos Quests got us to level 3.
    -Misc Harbor Quests, including the Warehouse series got us level 4.
    -Waterworks and some other miscellaneous Harbor quests got us level 5.
    -Catacombs and STK got us level 6.
    -Sharn Syndicate, some misc marketplace quests, and finishing up the last couple Harbor quests got us about 90% to 7.
    -The first 4 quests in Tangleroot got us level 7
    -Finishing Tangleroot got us about 7.5

Next Up:
    -Depths of Despair/Darkness/Doom/Discord
    -Necropolis Part 1 (Hoping to get level 8 here)
    -Any other misc level 4 quest we haven't done
    -Three Barrel Cove
    -Delera's Tomb up to Thrall of the Necromancer (Hoping to get level 9 here)
    -Phiarlan Carnival
    -Any other misc level 5 quest we haven't done
    -Sentinels of Stormreach
    -Threnal (Should get level 10 here if not before)
    -Any other misc level 6 quest we haven't done (Devil Assault?)
    -Sorrowdusk Isle
    -Necropolis Part 2
    -Vault of Night up to the raids (I assume you can't 2 man the raids?) (Level 11 if not before?)
    -Any other misc level 7 quest we haven't done

I'm not really sure how long we can go without repeating quests, but it looks pretty good so far... Any thoughts or recommendations? Has anyone else done this before so I can read their adventure log posts instead of making my own?
    I'll be absolutely amazed if you manage to run the rest of Tangleroot, Carnival and Delera's and AREN'T Lvl 10 before Thrall of the Necromancer!

Honestly - I personally adore 3 Barrel Cove so I ignore Carnival entirely AND I STILL Hit HAVING to take Lvl 8 Before I finish All the OTHER Lvl 5 Quests on Elite!

Heck I can get Half of Lvl 7+ on a 2nd Life just from the Necro 1 Flags!

On a 1st Life - even if you don't have the 10% VIP XP, Voice of the Master {which I rarely use btw} and/or other sundry XP Buffs there's really no possible way you can run all Lvl 1-5 quests on elite with BB and NOT Be Lvl 8!

Add in the Lvl 6s and 7s and there's absolutely no way you're taking in Thrall of the Necromancer before 10 {unless you want to lose most of the XP from hitting cap inside the quest that is}.

Threnal - Rofl!
    These are Lvl 8-10 Base Quests - There's no reason for you to even consider running this chain before Lvl 10!

Frankly it's completely unnecessary for XP anyway {Sands, VoN, Necro II will see you past these levels} - Run it for the Loot if you like, Run it for the fun of it BUT mainly Run it for the FAVOUR!

Other Thoughts - Trap DCs in Chamber of Insanity {House K} are around 40 on Elite {Insanely high in my opinion for such a low level quest!}.
    But that's basically the DC you should be targeting by Lvl 7 {with +5 tools of course}.

I enjoy slayers and run every one from Korthos to Sorrowdusk up to Max {Red Fens Max 7,500 at 150 a time is a Heck No from me though - I go to 1500 and stop!}.

Honestly - There's a SHED-LOAD of XP in Slayers - And with two of you running the likes of Tangleroot and Sorrowdusk in between each quest in the chain should have an instance cleared in 7-8 minutes {I'm in the quests longer than that - Lots of Chests and Collectables to loot!}.

And I avoid Joining Groups for Tangleroot for that very reason - I actually want to get my collectables / chests and groups won't wait!

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    Threnal - Rofl!
    Can I just say and completely out of context seeing this bit made my day that I'm not the only person to laugh at Threnal basically for existing. : )

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityTurtle View Post
    Can I just say and completely out of context seeing this bit made my day that I'm not the only person to laugh at Threnal basically for existing. : )
    You might want to look at the context.

I LIKE THRENAL!

I just know from experience that the OP and his friend are going to be way past Lvl 8 before they hit it!

Chances are - Finishing Tangleroot, Carnival, Necro 1, Delera's, Sentinels, Sorrowdusk, Necro 2, VoN, Sands - Threnal's gonna get Favour farmed Later!

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    You might want to look at the context.

I LIKE THRENAL!

I just know from experience that the OP and his friend are going to be way past Lvl 8 before they hit it!

Chances are - Finishing Tangleroot, Carnival, Necro 1, Delera's, Sentinels, Sorrowdusk, Necro 2, VoN, Sands - Threnal's gonna get Favour farmed Later!
    Like I said, it made my day even though I knew it was out of context.