Community Member changelingamuck's Avatar

Question New Augments, Slots and Minimum Levels

Sooo... I noticed that named items with augment slots have the same minimum levels as they did before they were given slots (e.g. runed ogre femur with an empty purple slot is ML 12, same as the old version). Putting a higher ML augment into the named items raises the ML of the named item to the ML of the augment. This makes sense. What I'm wondering is this: if I replace the augment in the named item with a lower ML augment, will that reduce the ML of the item (but not lower than the item's original unaugmented ML, of course)?

These named items with slots just look a little strange since filling them with augments gives them an absolute ML on top of the normal ML. I want to be able to revert the named item to a lower ML for TR-ing purposes and don't want to have to buy a store item to do it.

It's also weird because craftable blank items with augment slots have MLs even when they aren't filled with augments because they add to the enchantment modifier even when empty. That seems wrong and it's certainly not in line with the situation with named items. Weird.

Somebody shed some light on these things please?

Community Member

Default New Augment System

Please see the message from Tolero re the new augment system.
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=404669

To quote the relevant section: "When on a Craftable item, a Colorless Augment Slot adds +1 to the item’s total enhancement value. Red, Blue and Yellow slots add +2 to the item’s total enhancement value, and a Purple, Orange, and Green Augment Slot (if at some point they are available on an item which can be made Craftable) would add +3 to the item’s total enhancement value."

The big advantage named items have over standard loot are that they can (a) have non-typical colored augments for the item and (b) can have multiple slots without changing their ml (unless a higher level augment is slotted)
    ------------------------------------------------
    Manganese, Arcflame (Wiz), Ilyssia (Monk), Alaniel (FvS), Moncler (Drunk), Rhoque (13 Rogue/6 Fghtr/ 1 Monk), Arthee (Artificier) of Legion

Quote Originally Posted by jamkriz View Post
    Please see the message from Tolero re the new augment system.
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=404669

To quote the relevant section: "When on a Craftable item, a Colorless Augment Slot adds +1 to the item’s total enhancement value. Red, Blue and Yellow slots add +2 to the item’s total enhancement value, and a Purple, Orange, and Green Augment Slot (if at some point they are available on an item which can be made Craftable) would add +3 to the item’s total enhancement value."

The big advantage named items have over standard loot are that they can (a) have non-typical colored augments for the item and (b) can have multiple slots without changing their ml (unless a higher level augment is slotted)
    Yeah, I know how augment slots raise the minimum level of craftable items. I just think it's ridiculous that just having a slot, an empty slot, raises the minimum level. It would be nice to be able to craft something at a certain ML with the intention of filling the slot and raising the ML after a character gains a couple levels.

I've seen the post you linked to also. Tolero doesn't describe the effects of replacing higher ML augments with lower ML augments in named items. I just don't want to put a lvl 24 augment into an epic item and then have it stuck at ML 24 for my next life.

Okay, I tested plugging different ML augments into a relatively disposable named item I had so it wouldn't be a big deal if it permanently raised the ML.

Thuranni Stalker's Mail:

Step 1
    With +2 Dexterity Augment (ML 4 augment) Plugged In-- Minimum Level 6, Absolute Minimum Level 4

Step 2
    With +3 Charisma Augment (ML 8 augment) Plugged In-- Minimum Level 8, Absolute Minimum Level 8

Step 3
    With Moderate Fortification (ML 4 augment) Plugged In-- Minimum Level 6, Absolute Minimum Level 4

The augments don't permanently raise the minimum levels or absolute minimum levels of named items. Okay. The terminology is confusing though. The minimum level of the augments is reflected in the absolute minimum level of the item... except the level which the item ABSOLUTELY cannot go under is it's original, unaugmented level (6 for the Thuranni Mail in the example). THAT should be the number that's called an absolute minimum level, not the number that actually can become lower...

This usage of the phrase absolute minimum level is completely different than it's usage when it comes to the different tiers of randomly generated armor. By definition, if a number is called an ABSOLUTE minimum, then it absolutely shouldn't ever go lower than that according to the english language... And I still think it's ridiculous that craftable items with empty slots have higher MLs just for having the slots even if they aren't adding anything to the item currently... I'm probably the only person who was confused about these things... whatever... pretend you didn't see this thread.

EDIT: P.S. If nobody's said it yet, these augments seriously need a bag. Have the devs said that they will add bags for them, because this is ridiculous. They can't sell more bank space to me. I've got it all already. The augments alone practically require creating an inventory mule...
    Last edited by changelingamuck; 04-16-2013 at 06:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by changelingamuck View Post
    EDIT: P.S. If nobody's said it yet,
    Only about 10,000 people
    these augments seriously need a bag. Have the devs said that they will add bags for them, because this is ridiculous.
    They have not
    They can't sell more bank space to me. I've got it all already. The augments alone practically require creating an inventory mule...
    Very few augments are worth keeping IMO. If I slot a +2 DEX (for example) and outgrow it, it is easier to buy a +3 DEX augment on AH than to hold onto one until needed. All augments I cannot use immediately I put onto AH, and if they do not sell vendor them off. At present I have only one augment (+1 Exceptional DEX) in the bank waiting for a character to reach appropriate level.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"