Question no love for madstone?

Iv been waiting since servers came up and none have joined my ee madstone party. why? is it cursed? is their a reason everyone is avoiding it but POP is so populer?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikameow View Post
    Iv been waiting since servers came up and none have joined my ee madstone party. why? is it cursed? is their a reason everyone is avoiding it but POP is so populer?
    What is your build? How many EE worthy people are in your guild? I personally wont join an EE if the leader has a bad build.

Also, there are not a whole lot of chances to pull named loot, and it is long and boring.

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

PoP is easy, fast, and fun.

Madstone, is tough, painful, long and annoying.

Crucible was on par with PoP, except for that swimming bit that irks a lot of people and made it worse than Madstone... so that they Crucibled it and put Cabal as Flagging Quest instead.

Now Madstone is only done for flagging, preferably in the easiest mode ( for speed ).
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

im a capped sorc experimenting with fire savant since im bored of air. but its not about that when i put up a EE POP lfm it fills quick but not so for madstone. as for guild im the only active player and the only capped player looking for new guild

2016 DDO Players Council Qhualor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zindro View Post
    What is your build? How many EE worthy people are in your guild? I personally wont join an EE if the leader has a bad build.

Also, there are not a whole lot of chances to pull named loot, and it is long and boring.
    Define bad build.
    Gary Gygax quotes

The essence of a role-playing game is that it is a group, cooperative experience.

There is no winning or losing, but rather the value is in the experience of imagining yourself as a character in whatever genre you are involved in, whether its a fantasy game, the Wild West, secret agents or whatever else. You get to sort of vicariously experience those things.

Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, its not a game.

When AI approximates Machine Intelligence, than many online and computer run RPGs will move toward actual RPG activity. Nonetheless, that will not replace the experience of "being there" anymore than seeing a theatrical motion picture can replace the stage play.

The secret we should never let the game masters know is that they don't need any rules.

JMHO but I have always loathed that quest, regardless of difficulty. I don't know about the rest of the "world" but my feeling is that quest so marginalizes casters that is just becomes a long, boring, melee-focused snooze-fest.

With the changes to casters over the years, that probably is not as true as it once was, but the impression is so ingrained in me now that I can't shake it.

Add to that, my favorite characters tend to be enchantment based, and those are the ones most gimped by that run.

Maybe others feel the same way.
    Bogenbroom's DDO Wishlist.......Tolero's guide to actionable feedback
    Bogenbroom's legion... 83 characters, 3 accounts, and 1 irate wife.

Community Member

Epic Elite madstone is a painful quest, the monsters their seems to have a ton of HP and a huge fort/resist. I only joined 3x EE madstone and all have at least 9 deaths. Done EE Pop and EE Cabal BYOH, no deaths and fast. They may have messed up EE madstone.. Now we only do madstone on Epic Hard both flagging and some for XP but not for farming XP in it.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    Define bad build.
    +1, some people call someone's build bad because it does not tally with their "perfect build" and I even laugh when the "Bad" build was the last one standing completing the quest.

What I learned from some people, 1 Rog level = bad, but as time goes on it was accepted as good unless the player have no idea what 1 Rog level can do.

Truly pugging an Epic Elite is a feat unto itself. Having a core group of friends and guild mates to make up the core helps move these along.

However, here are a couple criteria I use when I join any EE group:

1. Do I know the Party Leader or anyone else in the group - This can be either positive or negative based on past experience with said person.

2. If I don't know anyone - Am a Familiar with their guild - mostly for negatives

3. Can I commit the time to the quest if it needs to go slower so that we maintain the advantage.

I honestly think many people just don't like constant fighting, which is basically all Madstone really is, sprinkled with Protection (Which other threads seem to indicate 95% of the player base hates - I disagree with the number but perception is more powerful than reality).