Default Make the mobs slightly less predictable

Better AI would be great but since thats hard to do lets focus on something easier that still adds a little unpredictability or atleast variation making it actually matter which mob you are trying to kill.

Regular buffs for Heroic and Epic Casual/Normal quests. Make each mobs have a chance to be buffed when spawning.
    5% chance to have Haste
    5% chance to have Death Ward
    5% chance to have all 5 resists
    5% chance to have Nightshield
    5% chance to have Shield
    5% chance to have Protection from Elements
    5% chance to have Freedom of Movement
    5% chance to have Displacement
    5% chance to have Greater Heroism
    5% chance to have all of the above!
    50% chance not to have any of the above.

Speciel buffs for Epic Hard and Epic Elite add the following (while also lowering the CR of mobs on EE)
    25% chance to have all of the spells mentioned above.
    5% chance to have -75% to all direct damage (spells as well as melee and ranged) but vulnerability to CC
    5% chance to have -75% to all direct damage (spells as well as melee and ranged) but vulnerability to instakills
    5% chance to have +50 Spell Resistance
    5% chance to have -50% runspeed, double melee reach and +100% melee speed as well as immunity to CC and instakills
    5% chance to have +100% movement speed as well as immunity to CC and instakills
    50% chance to have nothing special

All of these promote teamwork and smart play - yet none of them prevent winning with a one trick pony - it just makes it harder.

No monster needs movement speed bonus, most are already on par with a monk's abundant step speed (yes I have tested it, no I haven't recorded it). Even halving a monsters speed still puts it above most non-monk/barb/rangers.

I'd also like to say that allowing more variation in the spells memorized by casters would do a lot.

Aside from making monsters trickier, this is also a straight up buff, it should be balanced out somehow (and not by making players stronger, no to power creep).
    That which does not kill you gives you experience points.

(Fighter->Fighter->Fighter->Monk->Monk->Barbarian->Paladin->Ranger)

Or they could alternately spin around your toon and jump around like a spider monkey on crack.

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    Or they could alternately spin around your toon and jump around like a spider monkey on crack.
    Kobold remember waterworks!
    Once upon a time, I was part of a team, and we saved some children. What have you done with your life?

Community Member

I like the idea in general, it just needs more consideration. What about large groups of mobs? Those could turn very nasty with a good set of buff rolls. That's something you got to consider for planned spots with many mobs, people drawing a ton for AoE attacks would just have to adjust amounts.

Next thing - energy resistance. That's a rather bad choice as weapons with elemental damage are getting the boot while a 300pt or 270-290pt damage spell is no big difference.

In general, I'd give them random buff and random vulnerability as seperate rolls. Some energy vulnerability, small penalty to saves, AC, to hit, dmg... Lots of options and in the long run buff/debuff should be choosen to even out.

Big fan of "random equipment" on mobs and have suggested it before. Not only is it good for the challenge and promotes some adaptability, it can also help immersion.

My suggestion was to apply this to humanoids at a higher rate, monstrous humanoids / giants at a lower rate and increase the rate and # of effects for orange named. Rats are still rats, but that one Hobgoblin in Bargain of Blood might just be wearing primal plate.

I think the list I proposed and yours are both good starting points, but now I'd do it differently and apply loot-gen effects to them.

Elemental / Primal
    Luck / Major Luck
    Debilitating
    etc.
    But include in the list Freedom of Movement

Chance for one weapon, one armor ... and a chance for multiple.
    Last edited by voodoogroves; 04-15-2013 at 09:14 AM.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Community Member

I agree with OP's idea in general.

Add in a 50% for mobs to have true-seeing imo.

Seems all the monster in DDO are inferior to us players when it comes to long lasting prep buffs. I think more than 90% of DDO players are carrying around deatblock, how come monsters didn't learn that the palemaster they keep losing to is going to cast finger of death? Maybe instead of making the buffs random, they can just be static based on monsters of a certain class being in a certain proximity to each other. As example: the bards in Tor would give some song buffs to the nearby monsters.

Edit: I think it woudl be awesome if some monsters would cast true ressurection on they're buddies, much like us the adventurers do.

Great replies. I am still looking to hear what others think to further promote the idea.

As someone posted this would indeed buff the mobs overall so in other ways they would need to be lowered to balance things out but I expect that would be doable perhaps simply by lowering their hp a little.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by fink2008 View Post
    I agree with OP's idea in general.

Add in a 50% for mobs to have true-seeing imo.

Seems all the monster in DDO are inferior to us players when it comes to long lasting prep buffs. I think more than 90% of DDO players are carrying around deatblock, how come monsters didn't learn that the palemaster they keep losing to is going to cast finger of death? Maybe instead of making the buffs random, they can just be static based on monsters of a certain class being in a certain proximity to each other. As example: the bards in Tor would give some song buffs to the nearby monsters.

Edit: I think it woudl be awesome if some monsters would cast true ressurection on they're buddies, much like us the adventurers do.
    Death ward on mobs again. Really? Because the high saves on epic foes doesn't screw over pale masters and other insta-kill toons enough already. Lets throw death ward in as icing on the cake. I think epic mobs had death ward at one point (or maybe just certain ones?) and that got reversed because it invalidated so many builds. (I could be wrong here; my memory doesn't always serve anymore.)

Monsters rezing other monsters = nightmare. Especially if multiple rezzers are in the mob. Those fights could go on forever, and blue bars would get screwed. Expect rage quitting (at least by me, lol) if this ever happened game wide. Go take a journey to kings forest to see what I mean. There is one rare there with multiple necromancers raising zombies and each other. Fun stuff. I'm not sure if the other drow necro out there rez the fallen or not.

For the rest of the suggestions, I kind of like the idea of randomizing to some extent monster buffs and equipment. But care would need to be taken to make it balanced and not just unnecesarily increase difficulty.
    -Taters
    Argonnessen: Catteras, Lukie, Totalle, Paularubia, Momentte, Complette, Malaena, Lethale, Tottalle
    Some clever quote is supposed to go here, right?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikarddo View Post
    Great replies. I am still looking to hear what others think to further promote the idea.

As someone posted this would indeed buff the mobs overall so in other ways they would need to be lowered to balance things out but I expect that would be doable perhaps simply by lowering their hp a little.
    You hate casters and want mobs to have less HP so your fighter can kill them faster? I see no PRR, AC or DR in your list. Just "nerf casters".

Plus, why bother. Mobs have all those thing now. And much more then just that.