Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Community Member Kilbar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brandon, MS
    Posts
    762

    Default Return to Threnal: Immortal Coyle

    I've said before that if Threnal is Epiced a new quest should be created either as a side quest to the main or the primary focus wherein Coyle went insane after his original adventure and brush with the forces of Xoriat.

    In the time since your original meeting with him, he has made some very foolish bargains with some very powerful entities he has no possible way to recompense. His goal is immortality. He has already been granted incredible power by his dealings, but things are about to come to an explosive head as "collections agents" from Devil, Demon, and Xoriat interests arrive to take Coyle to his Reward.

    And as much as it might be enjoyable to let them do just that, YOU must slay these agents (sub-bosses) to prevent their forces gaining a foothold in this world.

    The final trial comes when it is revealed that Coyle's plan for gaining immortality hinged upon an insanely convoluted scheme whereby he found a way to traverse time and stole the True Sliver of Time from the Gann deposit box months before Tremas did in the Chronoscope and replaced it with a fake. The True Sliver CAN absorb immortal essences AND the powers that were attached to them in life. When you slew the Fiendish agents, you unwittingly started the alignment ritual that will grant Coyle immense power... And True Immortality.

    You must stop Coyle now while his powers are fluctuating wildly, with him having at any given moment the powers of a Pit Fiend, a Marilith (including arms and swords), or the... "special" abilities of the Xoriat agent. Let's just say that you slew his mate and offspring and he wasn't too happy about that. Now you've slain him and given his powers to Coyle and he's DELIGHTED about that!

    Call it... Immortal Coyle.

  2. #2
    Community Member Kilbar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brandon, MS
    Posts
    762

    Default

    After a bit of thought, this kind of quest is too big to be a sidequest. It's main event material. As such, I suggest that each Sub Boss be upgraded to Raid Boss. That's right, instead of one quest there's now four. And they're not quests, they're raids. You need to do Flagging Raids to get access to Immortal Coyle. And why make the Devil and Demon agents something we've seen before? Make them a Devil Prince and a Demon Lord respectively. The new Hound of Xoriat will be even more hideous and more powerful than his mate was, with a grotesque head that looks like someone fused a Tharaak Hound's skull to a Beholder and gave the thing Render Horns and a pair of Render arms jutting from its shoulders and hindquarters to deter attacks from behind. The mouth will have the horrid tentacles of a Mind Flayer, but will still spit the Bees of Xoriat... Along with assorted other breath weapons. This Hound won't require any sort of puppy charming, but will be an absolute nightmare to fight due to all the hurt it can bring to the table... And later all the hurt it'll give Coyle to bring to the table.

  3. #3
    Community Member Vengeance777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,229

    Default

    Didn't Coyle get his head bashed in at the end of Threnal south by the giants in the Gate Room? If I remember right its his body you step over before you fight the giants.

    There would be ways to bring him back though. He tries to bribe you in a dialog option in the final room of the second part of Threnal South so he has allies. He says to meet his contact in the Cult of the Dragon Below that is stationed in House Phiarlan. Gnomon maybe?
    Last edited by Vengeance777; 04-15-2013 at 12:11 AM.
    Server: Orien
    Guild: Over Raided
    Toons: Phasma - Swashbuckler ; Ceroni - Acrobat ; Selina Air Savant ; Cachin - Artificer

  4. #4
    Community Member Rian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    That one place in that one state in that one country
    Posts
    699

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vengeance777 View Post
    Didn't Coyle get his head bashed in at the end of Threnal south by the giants in the Gate Room? If I remember right its his body you step over before you fight the giants.

    There would be ways to bring him back though. He tries to bribe you in a dialog option in the final room of the second part of Threnal South so he has allies. He says to meet his contact in the Cult of the Dragon Below that is stationed in House Phiarlan. Gnomon maybe?
    One could always tie in that Drow, Elf no one talks to in VoN 1 or some other NPC we don't really bother with. Gnomon is already in a meaningful set of quests.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. - Mark Twain

  5. #5
    Community Member Charononus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5,345

    Default

    /signed to anything that lets me kill coyle, it doesn't need to give xp or drop loot, let me kill him and I'll run it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

    you get the idea

  6. #6
    Community Member FuzzyDuck81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,945

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    /signed to anything that lets me kill coyle, it doesn't need to give xp or drop loot, let me kill him and I'll run it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

    you get the idea


    I still remember running Threnal after the change that let you punch him out.. we wiped a couple of times since we were distracted by the joy of repeatedly beating on him.
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

  7. #7
    Community Member Kilbar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brandon, MS
    Posts
    762

    Default

    So we've established that everyone hates Coyle. Great, grand, and awesome. Does anyone actually LIKE my quest proposals? I mean sure, you get to kill Coyle, but you have to do other stuff first, and I'd like to know if the other stuff sounds at all compelling. This would involve a unique Devil Prince and Demon Lord as well as a far-more-powerful version of Xy'zzy. The Devil and Demon would be unlike anything seen before as all Princes and Lords are unique and none have yet been seen in-game. Horoth? Suulomades? Arraetrikos? Lackeys to these beings. And they're being sent as collections agents for even higher powers!

    Actually, that's not quite accurate. We've seen one Demon Lord. Or rather, a Demon Lady. The Spinner of Shadows. A weakened, newly-released Spinner of Shadows who was at a fraction of her full might. You saw who HER boss was...

  8. #8
    Community Member Charononus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kilbar View Post
    So we've established that everyone hates Coyle. Great, grand, and awesome. Does anyone actually LIKE my quest proposals? I mean sure, you get to kill Coyle, but you have to do other stuff first, and I'd like to know if the other stuff sounds at all compelling. This would involve a unique Devil Prince and Demon Lord as well as a far-more-powerful version of Xy'zzy. The Devil and Demon would be unlike anything seen before as all Princes and Lords are unique and none have yet been seen in-game. Horoth? Suulomades? Arraetrikos? Lackeys to these beings. And they're being sent as collections agents for even higher powers!

    Actually, that's not quite accurate. We've seen one Demon Lord. Or rather, a Demon Lady. The Spinner of Shadows. A weakened, newly-released Spinner of Shadows who was at a fraction of her full might. You saw who HER boss was...
    Sorry still stuck on killing Coyle, bring it, I will destroy all in between me and that (censored)

  9. #9
    Community Member psykopeta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Hidden in a secret hold
    Posts
    998

    Default

    i would do a cinematic quest, step in and watch coyle die, tortured, with human real screams, slowly, patiently

    give us 1xp, w/o bb loss, w/o lvl restriction, can be taken at lvl 1

    make it last...10 mins?

    it would be the new way to cap, watching coyle die 4M times
    psykopeta - hoarding pl, for the sake of hoarding, the day i become ubercompletionist will be because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS i'm not a pro, maybe if i reincarnate in RL...

  10. #10
    Community Member arminius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,954

    Default

    Just curious: Is the Hamlet play on words/reference intentional or unintentional?
    __________________
    Gwyneira : Cattari : Gorobei : Berylore : Zelphia : Aanouk : Beatriice : RobotMaria : Dalrymple : Nihill
    Captain's Crew : Fernia : Ghallanda

  11. #11
    Community Member Kilbar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brandon, MS
    Posts
    762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arminius View Post
    Just curious: Is the Hamlet play on words/reference intentional or unintentional?
    Yes, but past wordplay it's really quite meaningless.

  12. #12
    Community Member kilagan800's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Central Valley California
    Posts
    373

    Default

    I always like to see new quests and for updating older quests into something more enjoyable.

  13. #13
    Community Member Phidius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,592

    Default

    I like the idea of Coyle slipping back and replacing the Sliver of Time - Sally's claim to being immune has always irked me, especially since we PC's keep getting our immunities taken away.

    And of course, anything that requires that we kill Coyle!
    "I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities" - Vaarsuvius, OoTS #674

  14. #14
    2014 DDO Players Council
    SirValentine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Posts
    5,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rian View Post
    One could always tie in that Drow, Elf no one talks to in VoN 1
    You mean Dirge's Drow Contact, Myr'dril, who gives you the password? I always talk to him. It's easy XP. Why wouldn't you talk be sure to him every time?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload