Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Is this game too grindy?

So I started playing the game about a year ago. I'm just now finishing up my third life (been a fighter all three lives). My first life was pretty fun, but got a little tired of fighter by second life, but enjoyed a different build anyway. This life, I'm pretty burned out. Im at Level 19, and it has taken forever to get here. Everything from about level 16 and up has taken way too long to even be enjoyable. At level 15, I bought a greater tome of learning, and really, didn't find that it made the leveling go much faster. To get from 18 to 19 was completely unenjoyable. Now I've largely lost the motivation to get to 20.

I really like this game, and want to keep playing and build up some nice past life feats, but this is just way too much grind for me. As a result, I'm thinking of canceling my VIP status and quitting the game altogether. My questions are:

Do any of you other players find that at third life, the game just requires too much XP?

Is there a nice relatively fast and easy way to get from 16 - 20 at third life?

What other suggestions, if any, do you have to get from 16-20 without grinding the heck out of the same quests over and over?

inb4 dont be a baby
    inb4 play the game like everyone else
    inb4 stop complaining
    inb4 other random generic insult

All I can say is play MapleStory or one of the other ultra-grinder Korean MMOs and then ask that same question again. Actually, just go play MapleStory for a few hours, that'll make you feel ALL better about DDO.

There's no non-grindy way of getting from 16-20 on a TR2+. The only way you can really avoid it is not doing second TRs. Just make new toons or play at 25 running what you want when you want.

You can ease the pain a bit by running the right quests in the right order at the right time. There are lots of threads about how to do this. Yes it's not much fun having to be so OCD about a video game, but it beats sitting at 18-19 with nothing to run and hundreds of thousands of XP short of 20.

It's a constant complaint from players that the TR2+ 16-20 grind is no fun, and the XP costs and rewards in that range need to be adjusted, but no serious changes have been made. You wouldn't be the first person to give up on the game because of it.

My recommendation would be to make that final push to 20, then leave that toon at epic levels while you start a new toon for variety. TRing again when you're feeling burned out on the grind is a good way to start hating the game.
    Gildus, Yhvain, Sabathiel, Einion

Cannith, GOCI
    Be Chill, have fun

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphious View Post
    There's no non-grindy way of getting from 16-20 on a TR2+. The only way you can really avoid it is not doing second TRs. Just make new toons or play at 25 running what you want when you want.

You can ease the pain a bit by running the right quests in the right order at the right time. There are lots of threads about how to do this. Yes it's not much fun having to be so OCD about a video game, but it beats sitting at 18-19 with nothing to run and hundreds of thousands of XP short of 20.

It's a constant complaint from players that the TR2+ 16-20 grind is no fun, and the XP costs and rewards in that range need to be adjusted, but no serious changes have been made. You wouldn't be the first person to give up on the game because of it.

My recommendation would be to make that final push to 20, then leave that toon at epic levels while you start a new toon for variety. TRing again when you're feeling burned out on the grind is a good way to start hating the game.
    Actually, there IS a way, but they're rare and expensive. Stones of Experience will zip you right from eight to twenty after a couple TRs and with the right XP items on and/or active.

Community Member

Thanks Dolph. Yeah. If theres been a lot of complaints, and people leaving, I'm surprised they haven't done anything about it. I mean, I'm not trying to be a whiner or ask for special treatment from Turbine, I just can't see why they'd make it so difficult, and not change things. I wouldnt even mind so much if there were more quests at those levels so there could at least be some variety of quests to run. And especially if those quests weren't so G.D. difficult! Nobody ever seems to want to run the high XP quests at those levels cause they know they'll die.

Maybe it's just my class, and maybe I'm just burned on fighter. Is there another class thats esier to solo with or run with a smaller party?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kilbar View Post
    Actually, there IS a way, but they're rare and expensive. Stones of Experience will zip you right from eight to twenty after a couple TRs and with the right XP items on and/or active.
    Yeah dude, how do I get one of those?

Quote Originally Posted by skaught78 View Post
    Yeah dude, how do I get one of those?
    Find one who has one for sale and be prepared to pay through the nose for it. And whatever you do, make sure you only pay half up front and the other half after its been used. If the ORIGINAL owner isn't the one to use it on you, it's worthless.

As for being burned on Fighter, I went to Monk and only look back when I'm feeling nostalgic. Then I quickly remember why I switched in the first place.

Even a TR3 is nothing compared to the grind in most MMOs.
    As said before try some of the Asian MMOs like silk road or Rohan
    You will have a whole new appreciation for DDO.
    Move along , Nothing to see here

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by t0r012 View Post
    Naw, Im not interested in that, nor am I talking about that, or making comparisons. I'm talking about DDO.

Quote Originally Posted by t0r012 View Post
    Indeed. The aforementioned MapleStory has over four times as many levels, each of which is harder to attain, than DDO. And that's including the upcoming 28th level cap raise. 120 levels in all.

Community Member

inb4 dont be a baby
    inb4 play the game like everyone else
    inb4 stop complaining
    inb4 other random generic insult
    This shows immaturity and is likely to keep away people that would otherwise make constructive comments on your thread.
    Ceruleus ~ Nnomad ~ Nnia ~ Nnurgh ~ Cynnical
    Cannith

in my lives(actually 15th) i take 18 once i hit the xp to take it, the reason is quite simple: i don't farm quests with poor xp base(and the completion time or xp/min isn't a WOW I MUST DO IT) nor bank lvls, in fact i only farm shadow crypt(till madness, something like 1e/11h/1n/1 c or 11e/1h/1n/1c) von 3 and wizard king(maybe 6 times each?) and litany of dead(also till madness) then i take 18
    once i take 18 i have 1M xp left, so that may be a bit hard, what should i do?
    running with the devild + HARD farm = over 200k
    enter the kobold + NORM farm = over 200k
    monastery of scorpion + NORM farm = over 200k
    sane asylum + NORM farm = not much xp, maybe 100-150k

add first time runs in rest of quests(not all of course) and you're capped, i do it every life, just think in 1 of the farms/day, cn't be grindy

if can't farm that(i pointed even the difficulty, aren't the toughest options) because it's too grindy, maybe you should farm lower lvl quests and bank xp(useless imho, the quests i farm have more xp/base, that's why i farm em) if both options aren't ok for you, then should try wow or any other mmorpg, where you don't have to repeat quests, just spend 1 day killing stuff in the same place to get 1 lvl, of course that game have more than 20 lvls because with a bot you can get the same results

leaving vip? im not vip, in fact i think nobody should be, only looking the turbine's customer service, think it's reason enough
    psykopeta - hoarding pl, for the sake of hoarding, the day i become ubercompletionist will be because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS i'm not a pro, maybe if i reincarnate in RL...

Community Member

Kil and Tor, Trying a different game will not allow me to level faster from 16-20 in DDO. On that note, I appreciate your participation. But other games and they're relative grindiness are not what I am talking about, nor what I care to discuss in this thread, nor is it the topic of this thread. Please stay on topic

Kil and Tor, Trying a different game will not allow me to level faster from 16-20 in DDO. On that note, I appreciate your participation. But other games and they're relative grindiness are not what I am talking about, nor what I care to discuss in this thread, nor is it the topic of this thread. Please stay on topic
    Sorry, man. I do tend to ramble.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by nni View Post
    This shows immaturity and is likely to keep away people that would otherwise make constructive comments on your thread.
    Thanks for that tip, however, If people are going to come in and insult me, I have no interest in their feedback anyway. I post on a few other forums where "inb4" is frequently used. (not refering to 4chan). I use it to make the statement that I expect people will make unrelated and useless posts, and that I do not want them to post in my threads, unless they have constructive criticisms or suggestions.

But if this forum generally frowns upon it, I will refrain from using it in the future, so thanks

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kilbar View Post
    Sorry, man. I do tend to ramble.
    NP mate And thanks!

Community Member

If you find the TRing a grind don't play the TR seen. Try permadeath (which has its own grind by the way). Try a different class. Play the end game, try a Role playing guild. Try a non PD D&D guild. TRing is not the only way to play DDO. There are many ways to play DDO which you get bored with one way try another you can always go back to TRing.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by psykopeta View Post
    running with the devild + HARD farm = over 200k
    enter the kobold + NORM farm = over 200k
    monastery of scorpion + NORM farm = over 200k
    sane asylum + NORM farm = not much xp, maybe 100-150k

add first time runs in rest of quests(not all of course) and you're capped, i do it every life, just think in 1 of the farms/day, cn't be grindy
    Thats great feedback! I'll deffinitely give that a try Thanks a ton man!

Quote Originally Posted by psykopeta View Post
    ...then should try wow or any other mmorpg
    Yuck! God no! No other game has anything over DDO!

Community Member

Slightly, at this point a few things stand out.

- ED grind is friggin insanse.
    - Gear droprates are abysmally terrible.
    Personal d000m level: 83%

Quote Originally Posted by zwiebelring View Post
    Ape_Man does clever trolling nothing more. Don't feed him/her.

It is grindy enough to make people jump at the opportunity to pay over and over again to temporarily not grind as much, in multiple incarnations.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast