Community Member

Default Kindly revert needless nerf to the spell Holy Aura

I was surprised, not to say baffled, when I noticed today that Holy Aura no longer stacks with resistance. This spell is now literally a waste of space in my spellbook. I can not imagine a character at level 15+ that doesnt already have a higher resitance bonus from his standard equipment. Really guys, this is the wrong way to go about it. Kindly revert this back to being a stacking holy bonus to saves.

Once upon a time it was an excellent spell, then they nerfed it into an ok spell, then a situationally good spell, now it's meaningless. :/
    /signed, revert it back, or change it, it's at rock bottom anyway.
    That which does not kill you gives you experience points.

(Fighter->Fighter->Fighter->Monk->Monk->Barbarian->Paladin->Ranger)

Community Member

/Singed. A thousand times. Please make Holy Aura useful again.

I can't sign this enough times, in big enough or bold enough letters to express my feelings on this one.

This used to be an awesome spell. I even had it on my monk-splashed FvS, with only 2 8th level spell slots. After MA came out, the other spell had to be mass cure so I'd have a second heal of 8th level or higher, which meant no Mass DW. (I had the indy version, so I didn't *need* mass, 99% of the time. And usually, the other healer would have it, when we did need it.) But the stacking reflex save made HA invaluable to her, with evasion. The fact that it also blinded just about everything in the radius that could be blinded, no save, made it incredible.

Sometimes my party would be irritated with my lack of mass DW, but would shut right up when the other healer would go down to a fireball to the face and I could stand there dodging AOEs, DPSing, and get him up and keep the healing going. Or when I'd pop it off in the middle of a group of bruisers, so the whole party would take 50% less damage from most of the mobs.

Then they decided to nerf it with a save so low, my max Wis cleric hardly got it to land, and made it check SR. They also bugged it so it now checks your own spell resistance, as well (to this day). That made it annoying to buff with and almost useless offensively, at least for my toons. But it was still decent for the stacking saves.

That nerf irritated me, but I wasn't shocked. No save blindness and +4 stacking saves for 4 min., extended, was pretty powerful. Funny thing is though, as good as it was, most of the other divines I ran with seldom carried it or used it much, if they did have it! lol

A decent amount of pure clerics would keep it for the saves and because they get plenty of spell slots, anyway. But I don't think any of my FvS guildies or friends had it. And I rarely pugged with a FvS who carried or used it, either. There are actually several spells of that level that are pretty nice, so there's some competition for a FvS's limited slots. Death Pack and Symbol of Death were also pretty popular choices, in lieu of HA. But apparently, HA was still OP.

Now, with no stacking saves, a blindness function that almost never works, and the buff portion bouncing off of friendly SR, what does it do that's worth an 8th level slot? It really doesn't seem to do much of *anything,* anymore, much less 8 spell levels worth. As has already been pointed out, by the time you get this spell, just about everyone that gives a rip about saves has a resistance item, let alone at endgame. So I ditched it for mass DW. Now a few of my parties are happier, but I'm not.

Please devs, for the love of the loot gods, fix this or get rid of it. From what I saw, it's not like the original version was so OP that everyone and their mother was using it to pwn content. This is an 8th level spell, for crying out loud; it *should* be pretty beastly.

At the very least, change the saves bonus type to unnamed or something else that stacks with most other save bonuses and fix that stupid friendly SR check bug that's been there for months. That would go a long way to putting this spell back on people's lists.

And for the blindness portion, personally, I'd be cool with either keeping the offensive SR check and losing the save or vice versa, if no "save, no SR" is over the top. Or at the very least, change the save to a Reflex save (to cover the eyes, look away or whatever), which might actually be failed by the brutes you'd actually wanna blind. Because, in today's endgame, honestly, i don't know if even the +4 stacking saves would make me want to give up mas DW again.

Another option would be to make it function more like it did in PnP and make the blinding portion of the spell a guard, like radiance guard or it's own type of blindness guard. Even that would be preferable to the uselessness that exists now.

Community Member

I agree that changing the hostile save to Reflex would go a bit towards redeeming the spell. I venture to say that there are no divine casters in DDO today that can land a spell with fortitude save (AND spell resistance check) on melee enemies when it matters.

EDIT: But I would prefer stacking saves OR an immunity to enchantment spells that worked, even if it meant having the blindness effect removed alltogether. Right now it does just nothing.
    Last edited by EvilI; 04-14-2013 at 05:33 AM.