Default Loss of Freedom to branch out (Not Enough AP)

I maxed out Arcane Archer, just over 40 points spent, and just picking a few things in the Racial tree left absolutely nothing to put into a secondary class tree. Why in the world do you allow three trees when there isn't anywhere nearly enough to put into the Racial and one Class tree? This makes no sense.

Either reduce the amount of APs needed in all trees or give more APs.

Community Member

Hi,

Halving the AP costs of enhancements would be a good starting point.

The value of having 80AP is significantly diminished if even the first level abilities cost 2 AP each.

Thanks.
    Astrican on Khyber

Agreed.

All the 3/3 type enhancements need to drop from 2ap to 1ap per level.

In the current/old system there are not nearly so many prereqs for stuff. Removing many of the prereqs could be an alternative way to fix it without lowering the ap cost.
    Should a reaper see me? I think Death itself should have to make a spot check when I'm rolling up behind him. -- Krimsonrane

Community Member

I have to agree with the OP. It appears, especially with the racial trees, that half the selections cost double for little reason except to prevent players from customizing their characters. The 2 AP costs plus many (most) of the class and racial perks needing the previous tiers and a certain number of AP spent in the tree just kills the customization of DDO. Horrible designed.

2014 DDO Players Council

The real problem isn't just "not enough AP", it's "not enough AP after buying tons of useless low-tier enhancements just to meet the spent-in-tree prerequisites".

Splitting up all the class enhancements into these mutually exclusive trees destroys the ability to actually pick the class enhancements you want.

Vastly reduce the "spent in tree" requirements. Even if you have to up the "class levels" requirements to compensate.

I think it's utterly farcical that a character CANNOT get all of: their capstone, as single tier 4 ability that the devs had decided has to belong to a different tree (cost 22), and a single tier 4 racial ability (cost 22). That's even if they don't care about ANYTHING else in ANY of those 3 trees.

Community Member lucreciacrescent's Avatar

strongly agree on this one, if the ap cost of these enhancements would be this expensive, might as well not pass it on to live.

I very much agree.

The "points spent in tree" should be changed to "points spent in total" and things might just work out. Either that or lower the costs across the board so having to take all the less desired things does not exclude actually getting the things one does desire.

Community Member

Personally I think they should do a few things:
    1. Reduce the AP costs of many abilities from 2 AP to 1 AP per rank
    2. Allow 4 trees instead of 3
    3. And most importantly, make it so that every point you spend in a tree counts as 1/4 point for every other tree for the purpose of qualifying for Tier 1-4 abilities.

This would still make you unable to qualify for more core/tier 5 abilities, however, if you spend say 40 in AA that would make it so that you are treated as if you have spent 10 in deepwood, say, and thus can go to tier 3 without having to pick up the earlier. It would not allow you to ever grab tier 5 abilities, and you would still have to do *some* spending in tier 3 or lower before you got to tier 4, but overall you should get there without losing too much stuff elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Fecerak View Post
    Personally I think they should do a few things:
    1. Reduce the AP costs of many abilities from 2 AP to 1 AP per rank
    2. Allow 4 trees instead of 3
    3. And most importantly, make it so that every point you spend in a tree counts as 1/4 point for every other tree for the purpose of qualifying for Tier 1-4 abilities.

This would still make you unable to qualify for more core/tier 5 abilities, however, if you spend say 40 in AA that would make it so that you are treated as if you have spent 10 in deepwood, say, and thus can go to tier 3 without having to pick up the earlier. It would not allow you to ever grab tier 5 abilities, and you would still have to do *some* spending in tier 3 or lower before you got to tier 4, but overall you should get there without losing too much stuff elsewhere.
    Not a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by mikarddo View Post
    I very much agree.

The "points spent in tree" should be changed to "points spent in total" and things might just work out.
    Yes. The "points-spent-in-tree" mechanic is my number one fear about the new system.
    AUREON/ KEEPER 2006-2009 | CANNITH 2010 -
    Anaplian, Csimian, Tengram, Hackworth, Memenah, Helekye, Nabberfleish
    Brotherhood of the Wolf

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hutoth View Post
    Yes. The "points-spent-in-tree" mechanic is my number one fear about the new system.
    The "points-spent-in-tree" is asinine for the most part when its the Racial Tree. Except for unlocking a Racial Prestige, I don't see the real for this in the Racial Trees.

If players had access to all the Class Trees when Multi-Classing, I could understand the need for "points-spent-in-tree" mechanic being necessary. However, since we're limited to only 3 trees, it's not as if we can cherry-pick all the good items from all the trees. I can understand limiting some of the key perks to this mechanic, but everything being tied to this mechanic is just terribly shackling.

On the current live system this is all ready the case. At live you can't take all enhancements either. This is even more so if you decide to multi class, it's all about tweaks and finding that sweet spot of optimization.

What I do want to know if multiple Class Prestige Enhancement are still possible, so a 1/1/1 or a 2/1 as it can be right now?