Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best Weapon for Bard?

Hello All

I recently created myself a Haggle/Mule Bard Mainly for the purpose of holding the overflowing inventory items of my Fighter and My Rogue. He is still level 7 and (32-Pt Build) and I have been using Quarterstaff's with him so far. Is there a better weapon I can use with him instead that wont require a feet swap just to use it/them ? or is the Quarterstaff sufficient?

P.S. I'm more used to the Great-axes and Mauls for my Fighter and Kopesh's for my Rogue.

BTW This Toon is a Human/True Neutral iincase that matters.

Any advice from Bards would be greatly apreciated. Thx
    Last edited by JerseyD; 12-12-2012 at 07:41 PM.
    JèrséÿÐ

Community Member

Why is your haggle/mule questing at all?

Quote Originally Posted by rayworks View Post
    My guess is favor for bank space.

Quote Originally Posted by Torc View Post
    I’m only nerfing you now so I can buff you later.

Any 2-hander + Master's Touch. Greataxe ideally. See if you can find a greater/virulent con poison 2-hander, maybe.

Moonhowl Axe, which is a greatclub, but brings proficiency itself. It uses Cha as attack and damage mod, which should be higher than your Str.
    Toons on Orien: Meinir // Flodur // Twiddler // Thorkar // Impetor // Juliacantor // Minor all Soko Irrlicht
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We may or may not intentionally insert in red herrings, purple mackerels, or horses of different colors. Void where prohibited. Not available in all planes of existence.

Quote Originally Posted by rayworks View Post
    Because I intend to level him up enough to have maximum bank Slots and Inventory slots. Infact i think I'll just take him all all the way.
    JèrséÿÐ

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    Any 2-hander + Master's Touch.
    ^this.
    It's a first level bard spell.

It honestly depends on the bard. The "perfect" weapon for my bardificer is suprisingly not that great in the hands of another bard. I use a +5 pandemonium heavy repeating crossbow, but that is because as a Fatesinger I am making everything vulnerable to sonic damage. Then again I am walking around with almost 10 different repeaters to make sure I have the perfect weapon for any given situation...
    Lessons from a Bard:
    1 - Free Bird is not ANY form of Bardic Music.
    2 - If you are out of the range of my buffs, it is not my fault.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by karl_k0ch View Post
    Moonhowl Axe, which is a greatclub, but brings proficiency itself. It uses Cha as attack and damage mod, which should be higher than your Str.
    Plus it's actually a lute, so it looks like you've literally turned your music into a deadly weapon!
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyD View Post
    Because I intend to level him up enough to have maximum bank Slots and Inventory slots. Infact i think I'll just take him all all the way.
    Also leveling him means higher Haggle, from more skill pts, access to higher-lvl Haggle items, and possibly the Haggle feats (SF:Haggle & Negotiator).

Hi JerseyD,

This actually happened to my Spellsinger bard... I named him after a horse since I thought he would just be a mule but I also instead ended up having him viable at end game (he is in fact Caught in the Web-ready).

Anyway, as I was moving through the levels, I stuck with dual-wielding scepters that increased my mana pool and sonic damage for Soundburst and Greater Shout. It was not enough damage for elite, but it sure helps for some CC before Dancing Balls.

After which I created one Greensteel weapon for the Cha bonus (Exceptional 1 and Insightful 2).

At end Game, I dual wield this GS weapon with an Epic Elyd Edge (which also regenerates your songs, and gives you Mass Inspire Competence/Heroics). Epic Elyd Edge, along with some Bard Epic Destinies can make you quite a melee character end-game.
    Help a student. Tell me about your guild!
    A Survey about DDO Guilds

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm gonna make sure I get my self one of those Moonhowl Axe's plus I already have a couple of those rusted Rapiers stashed in my shared bank I think (hope they are only bound to account and not BTC)
    One more question. is Masters Touch spell sufficient to dual wield without penalty? or do I need to take any sort of dual wielding enhancement?
    Leveled him up to 8 now too btw so I can finally use slightly better weapons now

Thx Again
    JèrséÿÐ

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm gonna make sure I get my self one of those Moonhowl Axe's plus I already have a couple of those rusted Rapiers stashed in my shared bank I think (hope they are only bound to account and not BTC)
    One more question. is Masters Touch spell sufficient to dual wield without penalty? or do I need to take any sort of dual wielding enhancement?
    Leveled him up to 8 now too btw so I can finally use slightly better weapons now

Thx Again
    Master's Touch enchants the currently equipped weapon to grant proficiency in itself. That's all you need.

The Two Hand Fighting feat line is completely unnecessary for 2 handers. You will actually do better single-target DPS with two-handers if you learn to "twitch" than you would with spending three feats on 2HF.

For two weapon fighting, on the other hand, the feats are necessary to avoid hefty penalties. Stick to 2 handers and think of the Elyd Edge as a scepter - it's for singing/casting, not for melee.
    Last edited by cdr; 12-14-2012 at 05:34 PM.

Default hagglebot grabbing a life

that's exactly what i did with my hagglebot.
    Beware: those haggle-bards tend to grab a life of their own and become main toons all of a sudden...
    she is so much fun to play, and dual weilds epic elyd edges now, too. i don't play her quite as much anymore these days, but that is only due to my alt-oholism.
    so i hope you like your bard, too.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

I already have a couple of those rusted Rapiers stashed in my shared bank I think (hope they are only bound to account and not BTC)
    For the Sentinel gear, the base item is BtAoE (so you can buy them from AH or shops), the first upgrade is BtA, and the epic upgrade is BtC.
    is Masters Touch spell sufficient to dual wield without penalty? or do I need to take any sort of dual wielding enhancement?
    MT only grants weapon prof.; you still take TWF penalties w/out TWF feats. Unless you planned for TWF, skip dual-wielding and stick with 2H weapons (or S&B).

Blogger and Hatchery Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Texas - the most "MURICA!" part of 'murica! rawr

what's the best weapon for a haggle/bank toon bard?

heh... the barbarian.

the official home of LOLWUT

LONG LIVE R.O.G.U.E ! Pay2Win AND PROUD
    Q: how do you get me to instantly appear in a thread? A: ask a bard question!

Thanks again all for the info. I replied to this thread yesterday but for some reason my reply didn't post. Huh. Anyway
    like one of you mentioned I fear that I'm starting to like this Bard more than I thought I would and from the looks of it I'm about to level up to 9 now. I never intended for this to be my introduction to spell casters (if you can even call a Bard that) but that's pretty much what it has turned into. At least I have a better understanding of how buffs and spells work now so that when I eventually decide to start a Wizard or Cleric some day I'll have a bit of a head start on the learning curve.
    As for the Moonhowl Axe I will be combing Three Barrel Cove for that Rare encounter with Hafgrim Moonhowler till I get it now no doubt.
    Am still using Quarterstaffs mostly right now (ones that increase my spell points etc...)
    JèrséÿÐ

Community Member

http://ddowiki.com/page/Carnifex

It' bound to account. I usw mine with nearly all toons in low levels.

Ok this Mule has totally turned into something way more than I had planned on now as one of you warned me about. I finally managed to gather the 3 sigels (quite easily from my fist toons inventory)and upgraded the corroded Rapier to an Elyd Edge plus I just leveled him to 10 doing the Dilerias chain with acouple of my Guildies (insert Voice of the Master here now I now have Dimension Door as well as my first taste of Sonic Blast. Looks like I'm gonna have to take this mule all the way ,Or at least to level 21 or so. Who Knew? LOL
    I have a question though does it matter which hand the Elyd Edge is held in as far as the speed of my spell regen goes? Because I could almost swear it takes longer when it's in my left hand.
    I'm off to grab that Moon Hallows Axe now
    JèrséÿÐ

Ive killed the Rare Encounter guy 3 times now and no Moon Hallows Axe. What am I doing wrong? And yes I have the map from the Wiki and I'm killing the right guy. he always drops a bag with a useless collectible and his chest never has the Moon Hallows Axe in it. Is it because I'm level 10 now? is it because i use a hire? Help please. Thx
    JèrséÿÐ

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Same as the best weapon for everyone else

The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch!

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast