Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Need help understanding GS crafting and running Shroud

OK, I get the part about gathering ingredients and making your GS blank at the Altar of Fecundity in Meridia.
    That's easy enough to figure out.

What I am not sure about is once you get in the Shroud Raid, how the crafting happens (I have never done the raid, just flagged for it).

Part 1, 3 and 5 there is the various Altars in these parts, and from what I gather you can only obtain ingredients for upgrading your GS blank inside the Shroud, through the AH or DDO store.

Q: Except the 3 types Shard of Power which ONLY drops from the end chests right? They cannot be bought or traded for is my understanding. Which makes sense because if you had the means to purchasse thm you would never need to step foot into the shroud, you could craft from your guild airship or the devil battlefield for the missing altars. Except the Altar of Devastation
    of course which is only in Part 5.

Q: After you complete Part 1, 3 or 5 can you use the Altar to upgrade your GS blank if you receive a Shard of Power in the chest and have all the ingredients on you at the time OR is there some sort of quest mechanic that only allows you to do the crafting at the end? I read somewhere that after the Raid is completed you can go back to previous phases.

Q: Is there any other "gotcha" I should be aware of that could cause unwanted party grief that is a common n00b mistake?
    Last edited by sk3l3t0r; 04-11-2013 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sk3l3t0r View Post
    Q: Except the 3 types Shard of Power which ONLY drops from the end chests right? They cannot be bought or traded for is my understanding. Which makes sense because if you had the means to purchasse thm you would never need to step foot into the shroud, you could craft from your guild airship or the devil battlefield for the missing altars. Except the Altar of Devastation

Q: After you complete Part 1, 3 or 5 can you use the Altar to upgrade your GS blank if you receive a Shard of Power in the chest and have all the ingredients on you at the time OR is there some sort of quest mechanic that only allows you to do the crafting at the end? I read somewhere that after the Raid is completed you can go back to previous phases.

Q: Is there any other "gotcha" I should be aware of that could cause unwanted party grief that is a common n00b mistake?
    Yes, you have to get the shards on the toon you want to build the greensteel on.

Shards have a chance to drop drop in the chests throughout the quest. Small shrds in the chests after part 1, mediums in chests after parts 2/3 and larges in chests after parts 4/5. Often shards are up for roll, so they are generally not that hard to acquire.

Small/Medium/Large ingredients have a chance to fall in the same chests as above.

You can also get ingredients and shards in Amrath Quest chests and in Devil's assault chests on Epic or Heroic Elite difficulties (lower drop rate than shroud, but nice to have options).

You can craft mechanically at any time, but its considered bad form to try to craft during the quest. So complete, and then go back and craft. It takes time to craft so don't make everyone else wait for you.

You also need energy cells. They drop in the same manner as above, and can either drop fully charged, or uncharged. If uncharged you need to charge them by combining them in the appropriate alter with a weapon of the the correct enhancement value.

Biggest to do with greensteel crafting is to be very careful to make your recipe properly. Triple check it as you make the item, it can be very expensive if you make a mistake, and some recieps are very close. For instance some recipes call for a horn or large horn instead of an energy cell. If you use the wrong one, you will likely make the wrong item (say a longbow instead of the gretaxe you were trying for).

Also dual shard effects like Concordonant Opposiition, Min II and Lit II require that both large shards be combined before the combined shard is applied to the greensteel item. If you apply one shard to the item you will not be able to fix that and will be stuck with a single shard effect.

Community Member

Ok thanks for filling in the blanks.

I am going after Supreme Tyrant Green Steel Goggles of Positive Energy for my sorc, and eventually a con opp item as well once I can get a 20th completion done.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Green_Steel_item_crafting_steps

I have the ingredients to craft the blank, and understand well enough the crafting process, it's this part that I was mostly after, and that is really good to know!! Everything has a process and if you deviate from said process often times you end up upsetting the people you are running with.

Honestly in my mind I fgured everyone would take a crafting break at each altar and just move forward together when everyone was done.

"You can craft mechanically at any time, but its considered bad form to try to craft during the quest. So complete, and then go back and craft. It takes time to craft so don't make everyone else wait for you."

Ok thanks for filling in the blanks.
    Honestly in my mind I fgured everyone would take a crafting break at each altar and just move forward together when everyone was done.
    It takes quite a few runs to get the ingredients to craft one item. So in any given Shroud run usually only 1 or 2 people are looking to craft something (probably even less now that many guild ships have all the alters).

Community Member

don't break crystals and learn the puzzles.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...15#post2735715

Last edited by Pape_27; 04-11-2013 at 01:28 PM.
    boo-tai jung-tzahng-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    We love fansites!
    <*cough*B.S.*cough*>
    Quote Originally Posted by SqueakofDoom View Post
    There will be bugs!

Community Member

that practice puzzle solver tool is actually kinda fun...lol

Actually the shards also drop in Epic Devil's Assault and possibly on a few other quests, but not nearly as often as in the shroud quest.

Community Member

First, tell everyone you're new to Shroud. They'll be a bit more patient with you and explain things like the synchronous killings in part 2, or how you shouldn't blow up the crystals in part 3.

Bring Silver+Good weapons for boss fight, just Ag is fine for trash

Planner
    http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~delallea/ddo/shroud/

After the first fight with Harry ("Arraetrikos"), let everyone know you're new to Shroud. They will give you instructions on how to jump at the portal to get yourself 3 extra end chests.

During the end fight, do NOT kill the fire elemental or earth elemental until the casters say to. They tend to get very angry if you do, possibly even blacklist you. It's not that big a deal really, but some players will blacklist a noob for not knowing not to do it. This is because they can get their mana back when they run across the water. They shouldn't NEED to get their mana back, not even the clerics. But they still make a big stink over it.

Community Member

Shroud is split into 5 parts.
    1-2 drops tier 1 shards and ingredients. It also has the 1st tier altar, though most people craft on a ship now. There is 2 chests after 1 and 2.

3 has tier 2 shards and ingredients, also the 2nd tier alter. There is 2 chests at the end and 2 bonus chests for completing the puzzle.

4-5 has tier 3 shards and ingredients, 3rd tier altar, and both offer 2 chests on completion.

After 5 is complete you can teleport back to the respective areas to craft.

The raid is extremely easy, but the few basic things you want to know is this.
    ~Part 1 follow the zerg, down the portals, not challenging or threatening at all.
    ~Part 2, get to the focal point where the group gets together. There are red names that all must be killed at around the same time, when they die they turn into a ghost and move towards the crystal, if they reach it they res. The crystal's defense only goes down when all the red names are dead. The red names also need to be spread.
    ~Part 3, easy puzzles, if they aren't easy for you ask for help or use a solver. After you solve your puzzle go wait in the water for the chests to open
    ~Part 4, if they say to stay in the blades stay when they come around, if they stay to get out you don't sit in them
    ~Part 5, red names are back, kill all but 1 for some parties, mostly people are just killing them all and moving onto the fight which is a melee zerg around him and DPS him to death

Default Hope this helps.

Search these words: ddo calculator, and find the thread made By Zaoden.
    The Blood of the Red Dragon

On Orien, it takes little more than an LFM asking for a ship invite for GS altar use to get one quickly. Or an "advice" post in general chat in Marketplace. I am sure we are not alone in that. Better to do this than to try to craft during a raid.

DO tell people you are new at the very beginning. It will help folks know to tell you what is going on. Even if you watch a video, it will still be really confusing.

There are several really good crafting planners for GS. Just google "ddo crafting planner". I really like the perfectweb one for new people. Just pick the end result you want, and it will narrow down all the other choices.
    Orien: Zizie, Zeelee, Zeeny, Zeety, Zeleste, Zeeby
    ?

Community Member

I will summarise what I captured for other folks like me based on what I read on ddowiki and the forums and what was posted here.

1. Plan your item(s) carefully, use various calcs and ddowiki to plan out your item(s) to get a list of ingredients and shards you will need.

2. When running the raid, shards and ingredients drop as follows:

Phase 1 & 2 - Tier 1 shard + ingredients

Phase 3 - Tier 2 shard + ingredients

Phase 4 & 5 - Tier 3 shard + ingredients

3. Alternate sources of shards & ingredients:

Devil Assault EPIC or Heroic Elite
    Amrath Quests

4. Is it good form and etiquette to wait until end of the raid to craft.

5. Know your role, follow instructions, ask for help and state your new from the get go to avoid unwated mistakes or misunderstandings.

i.e. puzzles, blades, crystals, prepping bosses, etc ...

6. Have fun
    Last edited by sk3l3t0r; 04-12-2013 at 08:01 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zorth View Post
    Search these words: ddo calculator, and find the thread made By Zaoden.
    http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=1637266

Q: Except the 3 types Shard of Power which ONLY drops from the end chests right? They cannot be bought or traded for is my understanding. Which makes sense because if you had the means to purchasse thm you would never need to step foot into the shroud, you could craft from your guild airship or the devil battlefield for the missing altars. Except the Altar of Devastation of course which is only in Part 5.
    The three shard types are all bound to character on acquire, but they can also drop from Devil Assault. The drop rate on shards in DA is pretty poor though, all the moreso because there aren't 11 other people who might be willing to put shards up for roll.

After part 5 is done and the quest is over, portals open up to give access to the other 4 parts, so you can quietly craft in peace without screwing anything up for anyone else. Just be careful running through part 2, because sometimes not everything is killed during the run, and it can be aggravating to suddenly have a Bezekira spam-tripping you.

If you are making a dual-shard tier3 item, like Concordant Opposition, or a Lightning II weapon, be absolutely sure that you combine the two supreme shards into one before adding it to your item. The change cannot be (reasonably) undone, and you're getting a fraction of the power you would if you did it right, and wasting a lot of large ingredients.

When you're selecting the options in the altar, read them VERY CAREFULLY, because even when you have the right shard in place, there's always an option to pick a terrible outcome that doesn't give the full bonuses you could be getting. I don't know why that option even exists...if you're making a triple positive weapon, why would you want only Holy Blast if you can have Holy Blast + Greater Disruption, but be sure you're triple checking absolutely everything before you hit the combine button.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matuse View Post
    If you are making a dual-shard tier3 item, like Concordant Opposition, or a Lightning II weapon, be absolutely sure that you combine the two supreme shards into one before adding it to your item. The change cannot be (reasonably) undone, and you're getting a fraction of the power you would if you did it right, and wasting a lot of large ingredients.
    Combine the two imbued supreme shards.

At certain guild levels the airship is able to have tier1/2/3 altars. At level 70 tier 3 becomes available. This is a very convenient work-around to being on timer for the Shroud. Put up a lfm advertising what tier altar you need for an invite, usually there's someone not doing anything in a high enough ship to invite you on.
    ME BARB, ME SMA-ok I stand here with pretty blue lines around me. ok I take damage. ok bye.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HalfORCastrator View Post
    Combine the two imbued supreme shards.

At certain guild levels the airship is able to have tier1/2/3 altars. At level 70 tier 3 becomes available. This is a very convenient work-around to being on timer for the Shroud. Put up a lfm advertising what tier altar you need for an invite, usually there's someone not doing anything in a high enough ship to invite you on.
    I am fortunate enough to be in a large enough guild to have these benefits it's the shard that I am missing really, everything else can be obtained outside the raid.

Ooooh, ooooh! Me! I know!!! Pick me!

When I run Shroud, I ask in advance if anyone is looking for shards. It drives me bananas to be jumping into part 2 with everyone rolling on shards in part 1, so first person to speak up gets mine. You will generally find that people aren't looking for shards, so you could end up with enough for a tier 3 item in just one run. Good luck and nice form coming to the forums to ask first - I wish more new-to-Shroud people would do that!
    Awnoo . Mayonnaise . Cellebrian . Gawnaball . Gawna . Gawnaderp .
    Gawnasorc . Mamadapolis . Gawnahjeal . Winnar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladiun View Post
    Gawno is excrement; Gawna is excellent.

Community Member

When you first start out in gs crafting, it's rough because you have so few ingredients. Something I wish I'd known when I started:

You can buy energy cells of any size (low-, medium-, high-energy) from the skeleton vendor who's standing next to the altar at the end of part 3. Cheap.

Waiting to actually pull 10 high energy cells for a dual-shard item when you first start running shroud can be discouraging. Just buy em for a few thousand plat.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis_Dee View Post
    You can buy energy cells of any size (low-, medium-, high-energy) from the skeleton vendor who's standing next to the altar at the end of part 3. Cheap.
    I have over 60 Shrouds under my belt and I never knew that!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast