Community Member

Default Grave Wrappings question

My monk just hit 18, so I am closer to the level 20 requirement for Grave Wrappings. Right now I'm enjoying the + 2hp every hit from Ivy Wraps when I'm in fire stance (jitz bracers).

I guess my question about the Grave Wrapping is regarding what makes them so awesome? I see the + 10 stunning, so my stunning fist will hit more often. I get that. So is it the level drain ability that is so sought after? If so, how often does this really happen? You need to roll a natural 20. Also, is the amount of hp gained boosted by Human/Monk Rec enhancements and/or the bracers? Finally, can you repeatedly get more hp for each 20 that you roll? In other words, I roll a 20, I get X hit points. 5 seconds later I roll another 20, do I get another X hit points stacked on top of the previous hp, or is it a "once only" effect.

Lastly, I see that Ivy Wraps have more powerful higher level versions that will deal more damage. But Grave Wrappings don't seem to have higher versions and as level 20 only will not deal additional +W damage like 21+ wraps do, correct?

I'm just asking this because I hear so much said about how awesome Grave Wrappings are, and I just want to see what I might be missing.

Thanks for your help.

(P.S. If anyone on Thelanis pulls a level 17 version of Ivy Wraps that they want to sell, please let me know!)

The neg levels are the big thing, the neg levels is a lot of damage and decreases saves at the same time, making stuns land better.

Grave Wrappings are Absolute Min Level 20 (ie they get the extra damage die).

Entropic is untyped damage so its 2d6 on pretty much everything.

And Stunning 10 is pretty much required on a monk unless you have it slotted somewhere else or for some reason are not built to stun.

Ivy wraps are good, and I still switch to wraps with vamprism whenever I need extra healing, but most of the time thats just not necessary.

The 35 HP is temporary and will not stack, although I think it gets restored to 35 hp and the duration reset when it procs.

Ivy wraps will heal more and are real hit points not temporary hit points, but 90% of the time I wear grave wrappings because stunned mobs aren't hitting me, and twisted rejuv cocoon handles all my healing needs.

You also forgot to make mention of the destruction ability the grave wrappings apply. As there is no perfect handwraps, most are useful to certain builds, against certain enemies, or just good all around dps. The grave wrappings are nice for the stunning bonus and destruction effect all while doing a bonus untyped damage that hurts everything from my own experience, oh and let's not forget the 1d3 level drain that gives you 35 temp hp on rolls of 20. These wraps unfortunately do not compliment LG aligned monks well do to the fact any good aligned character suffers a temp neg level for wearing them.

Quote Originally Posted by lamborgini View Post
    You also forgot to make mention of the destruction ability the grave wrappings apply. As there is no perfect handwraps, most are useful to certain builds, against certain enemies, or just good all around dps. The grave wrappings are nice for the stunning bonus and destruction effect all while doing a bonus untyped damage that hurts everything from my own experience, oh and let's not forget the 1d3 level drain that gives you 35 temp hp on rolls of 20. These wraps unfortunately do not compliment LG aligned monks well do to the fact any good aligned character suffers a temp neg level for wearing them.
    Improved destruction is a nice throw in, but the extra to hit doesn't mean much in the current combat system (used to be very big deal).

And yes you get a neg level, but the net of that is -5 Hit Points, and -1 to all saves and skill checks. Which is negligible most of the time.

Just a note to the other good stuff here, the level drain proc does not function on humanoids if you have the Drow Smoke goggles on. It does proc if you have the challenge ring instead of the goggles.
    Hilarious Princess....Sorry your life is so medicore after all this time..Lol, you are scared of a farmer? with a tractor....?

The fact is you are crazy to not at least carry around a pair of grave wrappings get them they are easy to acquire.

Centre of the Universe-ish, winterland version

Quote Originally Posted by TPICKRELL View Post
    Improved destruction is a nice throw in, but the extra to hit doesn't mean much in the current combat system (used to be very big deal).

And yes you get a neg level, but the net of that is -5 Hit Points, and -1 to all saves and skill checks. Which is negligible most of the time.
    The negative level can reduce HP by a lot more than 5; the amount they lose is usually proportional to the amount they have. Minimal for low-HP enemies, quite significant for high-HP.
    ---------------------------------------
    * Thelanis - Mercure *
    C.L.A.W. (Council of Law and War)

Quote Originally Posted by Mercureal View Post
    The negative level can reduce HP by a lot more than 5; the amount they lose is usually proportional to the amount they have. Minimal for low-HP enemies, quite significant for high-HP.
    The neg level this is referring to is the one you get for wearing the wraps. The Taint of Evil effect causes you to recieve one neg level, which reduces your hit points by 5 and all of your saving throws and skill checks by 1.

Centre of the Universe-ish, winterland version

Ah, got'cha. Nevermind me then...
    * Thelanis - Mercure *
    C.L.A.W. (Council of Law and War)