The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Default Cosmetic Section Does Nothing

Has this not be activated yet I can't put cosmetic kits or regular armour in here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

The cosmetic slots on your inventory sheet are part of an upcoming new style of cosmetics. More info on them will be provided at some point in the future!

Cosmetic equipment is not currently available for preview on Lamannia, but will be coming later.

Quote Originally Posted by KookieKobold View Post
    The cosmetic slots on your inventory sheet are part of an upcoming new style of cosmetics. More info on them will be provided at some point in the future!
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Cosmetic equipment is not currently available for preview on Lamannia, but will be coming later.
    Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
    Brenna and Tzanna Wavekin
    The Dancing Rogues of Argonnessen
    Ascent

Quote Originally Posted by KookieKobold View Post
    Thanks guys

Looking forward to it.
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Quote Originally Posted by SableShadow View Post
    Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
    Why the heck not! Here's the newsletter then:

Cosmetic Equipment:
    There will be three types of Cosmetic Equipment- Armor, Goggles, and Helmets.

Cosmetic Armor is equipped to the new Cosmetic Armor inventory slot.

Cosmetic Goggles and Helmets both equip to the new Cosmetic Headgear inventory slot.

These do not function like Armor Kits.
    Unlike Armor Kits, each Cosmetic Equipment is a specific, static appearance- they do not change based on the type of armor you have equipped.

These will be permanent, equippable items.

While a Cosmetic Armor is equipped to your Cosmetic Armor slot, and you have the "Show Cosmetics" button toggled on, your character will use the appearance of that cosmetic armor.

If you toggle Show Cosmetics off, or unequip the cosmetic armor, you will instead see your equipped armor, as per usual.

When you equip a Cosmetic Goggle or Helmet into the "Cosmetic Headgear" slot, your "Show Goggles/Show Helmet/Show No Headgear" toggle button (The head of the paper doll on your inventory page) will automatically switch to the setting to show a helmet or goggles, as appropriate to the cosmetic item you equipped, and you will see the appearance of that equipped item on your character's head.

If you would rather see the appearance of your actual equipped goggle/helm, you can unequip the item in your Cosmetic Headgear equipment slot.

Legacy support for existing items that have Armor Kits applied:

In order to provide legacy support for existing armors that have an Armor Kit applied, they will interact with Armor Kits in the following way:
    If you have an armor equipped which has an Armor Kit applied, then when the Show Cosmetics button is toggled on and you do not have an equipped Cosmetic Armor in the Cosmetic Armor slot, the armor kit is visible. Essentially, this is how it behaves on Live currently.

If you have an armor with an armor kit applied, have the Show Cosmetics button toggled on, and also have a Cosmetic Armor equipped in the Cosmetic Armor slot, then you will see the appearance of the equipped Cosmetic Armor instead. This is because you can easily un-equip the Cosmetic Armor if you would like to see the appearance of the Armor Kit on your equipped armor.

TL;DR version:

• We're going to put cosmetic armor, helmets, and goggles in the DDO store and other places.
    • There's new inventory slots to equip them in.
    • When you equip them, you'll see the appearance of that cosmetic item on your character.

Sounds awesome FoS but to clarify we CANNOT put anything in the cosmetic slot (ie. Minos Legens) only items that are specifically cosmetic ones? If not, is it possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    Sounds awesome FoS but to clarify we CANNOT put anything in the cosmetic slot (ie. Minos Legens) only items that are specifically cosmetic ones?
    Correct.
    There will be items that specifically are labeled as cosmetics, and go in those slots.

<snip>
    tyvm for the details!

Correct.
    There will be items that specifically are labeled as cosmetics, and go in those slots.
    Will it be possible to convert existing, in-game items into cosmetic ones?
    Brenna and Tzanna Wavekin
    The Dancing Rogues of Argonnessen
    Ascent

Default Cosmetic revamp!

• We're going to put cosmetic armor, helmets, and goggles in the DDO store and other places.
    • There's new inventory slots to equip them in.
    • When you equip them, you'll see the appearance of that cosmetic item on your character.
    Yay! +1000
    Character Compendium

Default Player-created cosmetic items

Quote Originally Posted by SableShadow View Post
    Will it be possible to convert existing, in-game items into cosmetic ones?
    In this thread, I was very much hoping for the same thing. I'd pay a lot of Turbine points for a feature like that.
    Character Compendium

Community Member

i suppose the head gear will not work for warforge then?

2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist

A couple glaring problems;
    1 none of the artists know what my characters are supposed to look like; please let us put existing armor in those slots that many of us have collected over the years for just such a feature. Even if it means buying a "conversion" token for TP's,that turns the armor cosmetic and no longer useable as armor.

2 you guys art department haven't managed more than 5 or 6 hats, 4 shields and a couple dozen armor kits in the store over the last couple years. let us put existing armor/helms that we like the look of into the slots.

3 some of your artists have a near obsession with ginormous asymmetrical spualders and B movie super hero spandex, and paper Halloween costumes that I personally don't share. Please let us put stuff we like the looks of in those slots.

4 please add a shield cosmetic slot, there are some really cool looking shields in this game that no one uses at all.

Please? Let's make this more than just another "almost but not quite" feature as with the current small selection of mostly uninteresting cosmetics..
    Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    You can't possibly design good gameplay if excitement unpredictability and unknowns are NOT ALLOWED because they confuse some players who want everything cut and dried and spelled out for them.

Correct.
    So if i got it right... the current armor kit items will not become cosmetic items... we will still need to waste TP on the ones we like to use them on future armors that are released and we may want to use on our toons?

if that's right... for the silver flame, reconsider it... and allow us to somehow use armor kits as cosmetic items.
    give us a blank cosmetic armor that can have a kit applied to it, would cost us tp anyway. turbine loses nothing with this...
    Last edited by Davelfus; 04-13-2013 at 06:03 PM.

i hope they let us use house C crafting. to make any armor/ect ect into hese new cosmetics
    i find myself and others saying "glad im not paying for this ****" vip from ftp beta till 10.9.2012 fix it...fix it Now!

Quote Originally Posted by toaf View Post
    i hope they let us use house C crafting. to make any armor/ect ect into hese new cosmetics
    That would be a great solution. Decon an existing armor you like the appearance of, craft a cosmetic shard, mixmaster, boom.

In general though, this a GREAT new feature and one we've asked for for a long time. Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

The Hatchery
    2015 DDO Players Council

How will this work with the current "cosmetic" headgear that produces a bonus of some sort? (Bunny ears, Spider Cult mask, etc.) Will those be equip-able in these cosmetic slots? And if so, will we need to show them to get the benefits? Will we be able to add that headgear and toggle the new cosmetics?

Love the benefits for the Elite Spider Cult mask; hate the looks - means I have the choice of 1) show the mask and go ugh; 2) show the goggles; or 3) show neither headgear nor goggles and hope that it's one of the characters who that works to get the benefit of the mask. Would love an option of "4) get the benefits of the mask but show the headgear I really like"

And I'd like to add my vote to those wanting to let us "strip" the look from an armor we really like. Although that would make me want to get some kind of bulky full plate look for my monk *g*
    "Ignorance killed the cat, sir; curiosity was framed."
    Tripoint, C.J. Cherryh

Default Aesthetic crafting

Quote Originally Posted by BOgre View Post
    That would be a great solution. Decon an existing armor you like the appearance of, craft a cosmetic shard, mixmaster, boom.

In general though, this a GREAT new feature and one we've asked for for a long time. Thank you
    In this thread I suggest a mechanic for this.
    Character Compendium