Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Hero
    and Mo Bro H'ro

Default My Feedback on Ranger ENs

{Note to Trolls: Remember, this is a feedback thread. As such, these are *my* comments, based on *my* play style and *my* builds. Disagree with me? Fine. But don't bother trying to troll me, 'cuz I'm not listening...}

Let's get right to it, shall we?

Pros:

The new UI is nice. It is more intuitive than the lists. With the introduction of EDs, and the EN following a similar design (though may the reverse is true?) it is somewhat "familiar" and not something completely new.

Cons - General:

1) As has been mentioned previously, there are several Ranger enhancements that are “general” in nature and not PrE specific (e.g. Favored Enemy [FE] line, increased/additional “Empathy” Ens, Item Defense, various “boosts”, etc.). They should either be given their own “general” panel (I really dislike the description “tree”, because it's not that accurate; there are “trees” in the panels, yes, but the panels themselves are not really “trees”. Still, it is what it is.) *OR* they should be marked (with an asterisk, maybe?) in the panels they are located and if the “AP spent” prerequisites are kept (please, don't), the APs used on them should count in all panels/trees. That is, if I invest 6 AP into FE “to hit”, which is found in the “Deepwood Stalker” PrE tree, it should also count as 6 APs “spent” in the “Tempest” PrE and “Arcane Archer” PrE trees as well.

2) Speaking of AP spending requirements, AP Spending requirements suck. If you want to limit "when" certain ENs are available, do so by toon/class level.

Cons – AA Specific:

1) “Arcane Archer”, 'core', level zero EN – the description says it gives a +1 enhancement bonus that DOES NOT stack with the given bow enhancement. This makes this EN worthless, as far as I'm concerned, as an archer would (most likely) already have a +1 (or better) bow by level 3, if not sooner. Besides, all the similar Arti ENs do not have this restriction (that I could see). This bonus should stack.

2) “Conjure Arrows” only conjures +1 arrows, regardless of character/class/AA level. Again, the similar Arti spell (“Conjure Bolts”) increases the bolt enhancement as the Arti gains level. Again, in my opinion, so should “Conjure Arrows”.

3) “Soul Magic” grants 1 (that's “one”) temporary SP every time you hit with an arrow, stacking up to 10 times (for a possible total of 10 [that's “ten”] temp SPs). This seems incredibly low. Maybe it's OK, but I would think granting either 5 or 10 SP per hit, stacking up to 10 times for a total of 50 to 100 temporary SPs would be better. After all, they are only “temporary”.

Cons – DS Specific:

1) “Favored Enemy (FE) 'to hit' ” EN is a tier 3 item; “FE damage” is a tier 4. In my opinion, these should be on the same tier, with perhaps the FE damage requiring at least one rank in FE to hit before being able to take?

2) “Improved Weapon Finesse” - Really? Under DS? Wouldn't a better place be under “Tempest”? Either that, or make it a “general” EN (see discussion above).

Cons – T Specific:

1) The only real “con” I could see at present is the inclusion of various (what I would consider) “general” ENs here (such as Imp. Reaction/Dodge/Mobility, Item def, boosts, etc.). See above for discussion on “general” ENs.

2) I was just thinking that a "weapon finesse" EN (similar to the feat only available as an EN in the "Tempest" PrE) would be kind of nice. Too much?

Rangers are one class that have a lot of options. And from what I've seen so far, the Alpha pass is trying to do justice to that. I know that screen space is a 'premium', and they are trying to cram a lot of stuff into very little space (the one advantage of a “list” system, as is currently on live); for the most part, I think they have done a pretty good job. But I really think there needs to be some “extra thought” needs to be put into how to “properly handle” 'general' ENs. Not just for the ranger class, but all of them.

{BTW, I'm more of a Dodgers' fan, myself...}
    "...At least it tells us they understand our language; they're just not willing to speak to us in it. -Who knew they were French?"

Waiting in the lava pits to chain trip you on the way to Prison of the Planes

Consider this all prefaced with: "Having 40 AP spent in the tree to be able to select Tier 5 Enhancements acts like a secondary capstone, reducing character customization. Please drop it to 30, or even 32-35".

Tempest:

Core abilities rock.

Tier 1: Myeh. All pretty average, but the Item Defense one is truly abysmal. I'd rather see 'stacking resist of element type', or preferably, Sprint Boost placed here so both Haste Boost and Sprint Boost could be acquired.

Tier 2: Tough choices! Great tier, apart from the exclusive choice between haste and sprint (see tier 1 suggestion)

Tier 3: Critical Accuracy blows. Critical damage is already super expensive at 2 AP per rank; it doesn't need this as a pre-req to further bloat the cost. The rest is fine.

Tier 4: Elaborate Parry is okay if it extends beyond 25% dodge. Even then... 2 minute cooldown. Blerg. A little bit too 'pointless not very good but feel obliged to use it clickie'. If you made it an always active on-proc with expiring stacks and incremental chance to proc with each rank (5/10/15), I'd be on board.

Crit damage is too expensive. Make it 1 AP AND drop the pre-req of Critical Accuracy.

Growings Storm. Again, feels a bit 'pointless clickie'-ish.

Rest is fine.

Tier 5: Choosing between Evasion or Slaying Arrows is a good example of why the "Must spend 40 points in the tree to access this tier of abilities" is bonkers. Please lower the pre-req expenditure to 30.

Improved Evasion is fine I think. Pre-req'ing Elaborate Parry is lame. I'd let it be stand-alone. 2 AP per rank is also pointless bloating. I'd make it 1 AP per rank, since it still requires: 5 Ranger AND significant point expenditure in the tree.

A Thousand Cuts. I honestly can't tell at a glance. Will endeavour to have a play at some point.

Dance of Death. Same as A Thousand Cuts. I just don't know and would need to experiment.

Overall, pretty cool tree. AP costs seem high though.

-------

Arcane Archer

Core Abilities:
    All quite cool. Master of Imbuement's "Lingering effects" seems interesting. I assume the plan is for players to prep by swapping between a few different imbuements before Adrenalin and Manyshot? I feel bad for Warlock Sobrien.

Tier 1:
    True Strike is the worst thing ever. It suuucks. I cannot begin to explain how quickly I remove it from my hotbars. At 2AP per rank: Ahahahahaha. If it MUST stay, make it 1 rank for 1 AP, and give it the +4 insight to-hit bonus for 12 seconds. Most players still won't take it. I recommend swapping it with Sprint Boost. Yes, that would be redundant with its presence in the other trees, but I think that's the best solution failing the existence of a generic 'no particular PRE' ranger tree.

Awareness will be taken by no one ever. This is partially because the rest of this tier is awesome, and partially because +3 spot and to-hit isn't fascinating. I'd leave it for flavour and to make the tree more aesthetically pleasing.

The other abilities are really good!

Tier 2:

Universally awesome apart from the Action Boost, which simply can't possibly compete with the rest. Leave it as a hilarious trap.

The other abilities are, again, really good.

Tier 3:

Solid. Soul Magic makes me want to figure out a way to utilize it - which is a compliment. Really interesting tier all round with lots of hard decisions.

Tier 4:

Awesome tier again.

Tier 5:

Ruling out all other T5 abilities outside of the AA tree if you want Arrows of Slaying is, in my opinion (obviously), appalling design.

Please lower the required AP spent in the tree to get T5 abilities to 30 or just above. The rest of this tier is very cool apart from Runebow. +2 to-hit and damage is meh. +3 tips me over to thinking it's worthwhile for reasons unknown.

Summary: Cool tree. I personally have no problem with Arrow of Slaying being a 250 pt damage clickie, but I know lots of other people do, so if it changes to an imbue or stance or increases in damage, so be it.

----

Deepwood Stalker

Core abilities: Universally cool, BUT:
    Horizon Shot requires pure 20 Ranger. Max sneak attack is going to be something like: 4d6 from Stalker Core Abilities + 3d6 from Rogue Dilettante + 10 item + 7 item = 40ish. I don't know. It's just not that amazing. If you're in Shadow Dancer it's a bit better.

Given you give up a lot to be pure, and it's a capstone directly competing with, e.g. Arcane Archer's +10% Doublestrike, I'd make this capstone better with an additional 3d6 Sneak Attack, since, while I concede it sounds really awesome to always be in SA range, practically you usually are anyway if you're eligible for sneak attacks.

There's a very unique situation of ranging things into blindness or shiradi helplessness from a distance where you could and should capitalize, but even then the SA bonus just isn't that much. Point being: add damage, else everyone will go Arcane Archer.

Tier 1:
    Myeh. Fine. It would be nice to have Sprint boost in here though. I've give Favored Defence a move up to tier 2 where it bestows both bonuses for the same AP investment, and put Sprint Boost here instead.

Tier 2:
    Universally spectacular. Screams "2 Ranger Splash Might Still Be Viable" to me.

Tier 3:
    Favored Accuracy is awful, and a horrible pre-req. These 'bonus to-hit' pre-reqs to get to the 'bonus to-damage' are horrible. Make it Devotion! Or Passive-always-on knockdown on 20s with a DC 17/22/27 Reflex save to avoid.

The rest seems okay, though I think I'd need a play with "Aimed Shot" to know for sure.

Tier 4:
    Killer is powerful, but my goodness I hate "must get the killing blow" procs. Socially it's awkward. Letting the blitzer get the kill is something I will cop since you complete Epic Elite quests quickly, but it's not fun to be a mass-hold bot / healer / tripper / damager down to 10%-er / etc.

It's not a fun dynamic. While I appreciate no one changes party dynamics around, e.g. Black dragon armor wearers or Druids with Harrier during the heroic levels, it's still not fun and faintly awkward to know you're denying someone else or were denied yourself a proc where the other person gets no benefit.

I concede to not having a solution, but felt I should register my distaste.

Tier 5:
    Extra Favoured Enemy: Only 1 more creature!? C'mon! More Ranks! 5/5 and I'd be looking at this tree much more seriously.

Heavy Draw is pimp.

Head Shot is okay. 1 minute cooldown is a long time for just 500 points. Touch of Death is less than that and it can quadstrike. Either lower the cooldown to 20 seconds (I dislike applying real-world logic, but c'mon... like why would there be a functional limit on head-shotting?), or remove the cooldown and let it only apply to creatures vulnerable to vorpal blades, or make it a stance.

Say, -30 to-hit (given all of the bonus to-hit rubbish - if it's not removed. If it's removed, then please disregard this 'stance' option even further) and it does 50 bonus damage per hit.

Improved Archer's Focus: Sure. Decent enough.

Summary: It's a fine tree. I don't think pure 20 rangers are going to choose its Tier 5 and Capstone over the option of Slaying Arrows though, which is another example of why the tier 5 40 AP spent requirement is so bunk. I also think the Capstone needs a larger sneak attack damage boost.
    Khyber: Aggrim (Completionist!)
    All of my builds are grossly out of date. Just roll a human or drow mechanic / assassin rogue thing.
    Blind insta-kills floating eye balls.

Using all the abilities for ranged in both Deepwood and Arcane Archer, here is what I have learned:

Pin + Adrenaline Overload + Slayer Arrow = ~9500 damage (20 sec cooldown)

Pin + Adrenaline Overload + Sniper Shot = ~5800 damage (6 sec cooldown)

Every other clickie ability is trash comparitively.
    Sarlona Server Mythical:
    Kluege Fixer- Baddabing - Majuscule Kluege - Klueje - Klooj Maker - Dundar Kluege - Superkluege

Quote Originally Posted by Deathdefy View Post
    Extra Favoured Enemy: Only 1 more creature!? C'mon! More Ranks! 5/5 and I'd be looking at this tree much more seriously.
    Every new Favored Enemy increases damage against all of your Favored Enemies by +2.

Various Thoughts (apologies for length):

Deepwood Stalker

The entire first row of this tree is pretty lackluster. There was literally nothing in there that was genuinely appealing to me when I started building down this tree. AA on the other hand has some very nice intro abilities for any ranger build, and Tempest is at least a little better.

Favored Defense (tier 1 & 2): Don't really understand why these are positioned as they are (as opposed to being side-by-side somewhere), or how the dependency between them serves any purpose at all. But since you can get saves (which I would maybe want, sometimes) while still retaining a 0/3 investment in AC (which I would not want, ever), I guess it's not that important. Just rather bizarre.

Favored Attack: Really disagree with this as a pre-req for Favored Damage. It doesn't work that way on live. I also would not pay 2 AP each rank, just like I don't pay for any ranks on live now.

Favored Damage: on live you can get 4 ranks of this for 10 AP, or 3 ranks for 6 AP, with NO pre-reqs. In alpha, you have to take Favored Attack as a pre-req, which means 3 ranks of this will cost you 12 AP total (i.e., double the live cost). Please break this dependency. Also, I disagree with this being so high in this tree. Favored Enemies should be considered a class feature, for all rangers to easily upgrade, not something attached to a specific PrE. And again, this differs from live behavior: I don't have to be heavily invested as a deepwood sniper to get Favored Damage in live. If it's really going to stay in this tree (as opposed to a General area or tree), put it at the bottom. This is an ability that I would actually be somewhat excited to start this tree off with.

Extra Favored Enemy: I am OK with this remaining high in the Deepwood Stalker tree, since it is new and interesting. I don't see it needing any chain dependencies on Favored Damage/Attack. I would prefer it to be altered however, to be more flexible and therefore worthy of being top tier in Deepwood Stalker. Basically, I'd like it to become a new active ability:

Sudden Vendetta
    target: foe
    duration: permanent
    cooldown: 15? minutes
    effect: when used on a target enemy, you add that enemy's racial group to your list of Favored Enemies. This effect is permanent until the ability is used on another enemy. It cannot be dispelled and persists through death and logout. This ability has no beneficial effect if the chosen enemy is already one of your Favored Enemies.

This is more flexible and useful (and let's face it, people are going to respec often to switch the current incarnation of extra FE anyway; may as well compensate for it in design), and I feel it fits the PrE thematically (or at least, that of the Deepwood Sniper): in defending your woodland home, you are bound to encounter a wide variety of enemies encroaching upon your domain that immediately incur the fullness of your lethal ire.

Thrill of the Hunt: Cost is high. Comparatively, races/kensai can get +1 damage (+1.5 damage with 2H) active at all times, for 2 AP per rank. This offers +1 damage part of the time, for 2 AP per rank. I think the cost of this can be dropped to 1 AP per rank without being unbalanced.

Killer: I strongly dislike personal kill-count-based mechanics. Maybe change it to on-vorpal, and reduce the duration to 10? seconds.

Merciful Shot/Strike: I also dislike trying to eyeball 20% of an HP-bar. Given the naming theme, I'd prefer if this bonus 500 damage were instead applied if an enemy is marked as "maimed". Create a new pre-req enhancement for this ability that gives each of your attacks a passive 6% chance to "maim" the victim, slowing its attack/movement speed and rendering it more vulnerable to a Merciful Shot/Strike. You could also potentially tie the vulnerability to Leg Shot/Tendon Cut instead, but I think that makes it too "on demand" to be balanced.

Tendon Cut: Remove the sneak attack requirement from this. I also don't think the subsequent ranks warrant a cost of 2 AP apiece, as the bonus damage conferred is meager. Either up the damage they offer, or change the cost per tier to 2/1/1.

Headshot: Cooldown is way too long. I would rank Sniper Shot superior to this, and its CD is only 6 seconds.

Improved Archer's Focus: only stacks to 20, even though descrip says 25. Not sure I like this (bugged or not). Would probably prefer if it instead changed the decay timer to 4 or 5 seconds per stack, or make it impossible to drop below 5? stacks so long as the stance is active, or if you really want it to be worth top tier, have it remove the movement restriction.

Heavy Draw: Currently this is the only thing that would really make we want to go for top tier in this tree.

Sniper Shot: Amazing.

Exposing Strike: Why is this weaker than Sniper Shot?

Sidenote: I dislike that this PrE forces you to choose either a ranged ability OR a melee ability in several places, and prevents you from taking both. As a hybrid PrE within a hybrid class, you should really able to take both if you are pursuing a fully hybrid playstyle. They can share the same cooldown, if needed, but there is no need to lock people out of taking both if they want both.

Mark of the Hunted: Eh. Tying it to Empathy uses really knocks the wind out of its sails, especially with Empathic Healing competing for the same resource. Would probably still spend points on this though, just for the Far Shot upgrade, assuming I was otherwise interested in Ranger 18... this ability alone certainly wouldn't draw me to Ranger 18 though.

Horizon Shot: Not a good fit for Ranger 20, IMO. Far Shot, unless the text is misleading me, will already be giving this bonus extending out to what is generally my maximum possible range in most quests (given the often twisty or cramped design); I don't expect to go beyond Far Shot range regularly outside of explorer areas (and even then, my machine is fairly old and my draw distances are only High, which limits the max potential even further). Competition with Far Shot aside, there is the ever-present issue of stuff that is immune to sneak attacks to consider when weighing this against the AA capstone. I would prefer this tree to have a capstone that makes it easier to sniper mobs that are un-sneak-attackable, like adding +12% physical damage bonus on any attack that would qualify as a sneak attack, even if the victim is immune to SA (which for most builds ought to be roughly on par with the +10 extra shot chance in AA, I think).

Action Boost: A general concern for all 3 trees is the placement and exclusivity of these. This is not a decision I understand at all, and is another example of freedom we have on live which is threatened with being removed. On live, the only exclusivity these exhibit is in regard to concurrent use (i.e., they share a cooldown). There is also no stipulation of spending X points on potentially unwanted stuff on live to qualify for any action boost. I want all these new restrictions to go away.

Lack of Ranger Spell Support: Entangle, Snare, Charm Animal, Hold Animal, and Spike Growth are all extremely useless in the hands of a ranger. Thematically, these all pertain to this PrE, and it should strive to render them useful in some way. Maybe the Snare spell could use your Hide skill value for its DC (if you're good at hiding your entire body, it's not a big stretch that you should be able to conceal a boobytrap on the floor). Maybe use your Bluff skill for Charm Animal's DC. Maybe Entangle and Spike Growth can essentially become Strength contests between you (caster) and the victim, by using your STRMOD to determine DC instead of your WISMOD. Maybe these specific ideas are deemed lousy, but you guys can come up with something better -- be creative here! Making these ranger spells useful (or at least remotely usable), and subsequently getting non-AA rangers to spend sp on something other than 1 set of buffs upon quest entry and some cures along the way should be a major goal.

Arcane Archer

Bugs: there are lot of bugs related to logging out while having this PrE active. Implement bonus doesn't return, enhancement bonus is made *permanent* and you can put the item in a shared bank and transfer it to another char without it going away, imbue stances can't be reactivated. I bug reported what I discovered, but really this entire PrE needs to be triple checked for integrity because I did not aim to do an exhaustive test of this and yet stumbled upon many issues.

Arcane Archery: this free, non-stacking enhancement bonus is not very worthwhile. I know it's free and all, but other PrEs get free bonuses that are very worthwhile. Suggest turning this into +0.25[W] per core or something else that can actually be useful.

Implement Bonus: using bows as implements is a nice touch, but this PrE could play this up more by providing abilities that actually use spellpower so the bonus is not so niche. More on this scattered below.

True Strike: Not worth it. I know this is faithful to pnp, but it's just not a relevant ability in this game. I think changing this to be +critical threat range would be a better form of a "true strike" within DDO.

Elemental Arrow Imbues: These are nice, but I don't see why they need to take up so much real estate/AP. Also, I think these should be modified to be influenced by spellpower: if you have 100 acid spellpower, then your acid imbue does 2d6 damage, etc. Giving AAs more inherent benefit from spellpower will encourage a much more diverse array of itemization options, which will be fun and interesting to play around with.

**Sidenote: I'd like to see spellpower affect a lot of magical abilities, such as radiant spellpower affecting a paladin's Divine Sacrifice, for the same reason.

***Side-Sidenote: I'd eventually also like to see spellpower affect all magical damage effects (e.g., flaming, pure good, etc), so that a more diverse set of effects can grow with your character and offer many valid ways to itemize. Currently only physical damage on items scales with character progression, which results in those types of bonuses being the strongest and leads to situations such as the dominance of the eSoS. This is a large rebalancing of the scales though and is outside the scope of the enhancement pass.

Lack of certain iconic abilities: the thing I best remember about AA's in pnp is the ability to imbue an arrow to act like a fireball spell. I'd like more spell-like abilities available, which should be enhanced by spellpower and affected by metamagics at no extra cost to open alternate sets of attractive feats for arcane archers. Some ideas:

Explosive Arrow
    metamagic: empower, maximize, quicken?
    target: foe, directional
    cost: 8 sp
    cooldown: 6 seconds
    effect: imbue an arrow that does 6d6 fire damage (reflex save for half damage; DC equal to your Spellcraft skill) to all enemies in a wide area around the target.
    notes: a circular AoE is something AA's currently lack. This adds that tool to their toolbox. It also fits my nostalgic concept of an AA oh-so-well.

Streaking Arrow
    cost: 6 sp
    cooldown: 6 seconds
    effect: imbue an arrow that streaks like a bolt of lightning to your target (using the actual lightning bolt spell graphics), dealing an additional 6d6 lightning damage (reflex save for half damage; DC equal to your Spellcraft skill) as it penetrates through all targets in its path.
    notes: this would endow the arrow to function as an Improved Precise Shot (even if you don't have that feat, or it is inactive) with an sp-per-use cost, some bonus lightning damage, and would become available somewhat earlier in a character's progression than the IPS feat.

Ice Shard Arrow
    cost: 15 sp
    cooldown: 15 seconds
    effect: imbue an arrow so that it splits apart into 3 separate shards (like the frost lance spell), dealing an additional 4d6 cold damage (fortitude save for half damage; DC equal to your Spellcraft skill). This ability cannot be used while multi-shot is active.
    notes: this would fire 3 arrows, each with bonus cold damage, essentially acting as a multi-shot-lite on an sp-per-use basis with moderate cooldown.

Emulsifying Arrow
    cost: 10 sp
    duration: 8 seconds
    cooldown: 8 seconds
    effect: imbue an arrow to erupt in a shower of acid, dealing 4d6 acid damage (reflex save for half damage; DC equal to your Spellcraft skill) to all enemies in a medium-sized area around the target. This creates a lingering corrosive pool that deals 2d6 acid damage to enemies standing it in every 2 seconds for 8 seconds.
    notes: this creates a weak persistant AoE, another tool AAs don't have.

These could take up some of the real-estate that the multiple elemental arrow stance enhancements currently chew up.

Improved Elemental Arrows: this is not stellar, due to poor inherent crit range on most bows and nothing in this tree that improves it. I'm sure it will work well in conjunction with multi-shot, but what doesn't? Even then I don't see it as a compelling reason to reach for the top tier in this tree instead of Deepwood Sniper.

Runebow: not attractive enough for a top tier ability. Makes me wonder if you just ran out space to put it somewhere more appropriate.

Moonbow: if these temp sp's were bestowed more often than every 30 seconds, it would better justify its position. In terms of how many temp sp you can expect to get per second, Soul Magic is much better but lower in the tree.

Overall top tier: AA's top tier is fairly lame compared to Deepwood Stalker's top tier options. Heavy Draw alone potentially outweighs all the AA top tier options combined for average dps, although of course Slaying Arrows are better for burst.

Master of Imbuement: pretty great. But considering how long stances take to activate and how expensive they are in sp-cost, I don't forsee a lot of usefulness in the 30-second stance-lingering aspect. Not sure if that was meant to be PrE-defining ability that you actively play around, or just a transient perk. Not a deal-breaker either way, as the other stuff is good.

The other cores: universally nice to have.

Tempest

Spell Point Expenditure: Beyond initial buffing and potentially some cures later on, a tempest's blue bar is mostly useless and I think that should change. One or two abilities placed in this tree that can consume sp's in exchange for heightened DPS would help solve this problem. One idea, assuming cleaves are never going to use your offhand:

Storm of Flashing Steel
    target: all enemies within 5 yards
    cooldown: 5 seconds
    cost: 15 sp
    effect: you attack every nearby enemy in a 360 degree circle around yourself, striking at each of them with both your main and offhand weapons and dealing an extra +2[W] damage on a hit.

Another idea would be to offer them the Haste spell as an SLA.

Tempest (core ability): considering that this is the racial PrE for drow (right?), I think it makes sense for rapiers to be treated as light weapons as well. Also, giving this core ability the same name of the PrE itself is a bit confusing.

Graceful Death: As a STR-build, I do not appreciate being required to purchase a purely DEX-build enhancement. Either replace this, or add to this with something more general or specifically STR-based, akin to how Tempest gives a bonus to all builds (+10% offhand chance) with an extra bonus to DEX-based builds. As a possible idea, consider a +5% melee haste boost that stacks with all other sources.

Improved Defense: too expensive.

Critical Accuracy: way too expensive, and useless except as a pre-req for Critical Damage. Either combine these into a single enhancement that gives +1 to both for 2 AP per rank (which would also save real estate), or cut the cost on both existing enhancements to 1 per tier. Even this suggestion is quite expensive for the ratio of average dps gained per AP spent compared to the raw +1 damage bonuses offered in the Whirling Blades chain, kensai tree, racial trees, etc.

Improved Dodge: I don't see why this should be limited to no/light armor only. Just allow natural dodge cap limits to control whether this will provide any actual benefit for multi-class builds that may be in heavier armor.

Improved Mobility: limiting this to light/no armor only is overly restrictive where multi-class builds are concerned. Consider letting the first rank apply to all armor types, the second rank apply to no/light/medium armor, and then limiting only the third rank to no/light armor.

The Growing Storm: could do with a minor reduction in cooldown.

A Thousand Cuts: could do with a large reduction in cooldown and/or increase in duration. This is quite inferior to Many Shot; there is no need to limit its use in excess of Many Shot's limitations.

Dance of Death: I can't see what rank 3 of this provides, but I can guess. Ultimately I think this ability should be changed to function more like smite evil, in terms of its usage limitation. Give it 5 max charges, recharged at a rate of 1 per 60 seconds, and set its cooldown to 6 seconds. This will allow you keep it running for more than just 6 seconds in instances where you really need to hit 4 things at once -- which is an important flexibility for this type of ability -- without allowing you to keep it up at all times.

Evasive Dance: shouldn't be dependent upon Elaborate Parry, they're completely different things.

Quote Originally Posted by barecm View Post
    Using all the abilities for ranged in both Deepwood and Arcane Archer, here is what I have learned:

Pin + Adrenaline Overload + Slayer Arrow = ~9500 damage (20 sec cooldown)

Pin + Adrenaline Overload + Sniper Shot = ~5800 damage (6 sec cooldown)

Every other clickie ability is trash comparitively.
    Three cheers for removing ED dilemmas!

Quote Originally Posted by BruceTheHoon View Post
    Three cheers for removing ED dilemmas!
    It is what it is.... if you can find how to squeeze more damage out of a clickie style attack (which is basically how Turbine wants us to play ranged) then I am all ears. Until then, that is how you max damage with this system.

You could probably run legendary dreadnaught and get ~3000 damage (on rare occasions it is that high, normally about 750) at best from slayer arrow. Running LD in Deepwood form I am getting more consistently 1400ish to 2000 damage with pin + Sniper Shot, but I was getting around 1200-1400 damage on live servers running LD on a crit. So that is not really much of an upgrade of any kind.

However, you wont have to be tied to adrenaline clickies.
    Last edited by barecm; 04-17-2013 at 01:26 PM.
    Sarlona Server Mythical:
    Kluege Fixer- Baddabing - Majuscule Kluege - Klueje - Klooj Maker - Dundar Kluege - Superkluege

Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    Every new Favored Enemy increases damage against all of your Favored Enemies by +2.
    Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, but do the two have to be linked? Is it possible to add additional favored enemies without also improving the damage by a further +2?
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Despite dev assurances that they were going to add ranger devotion, rangers STILL have no devotion enhancements. Complete fail.

No devotion enhancement for ANY tree; Deepwood Stalker Improved Archer's Focus still bugged (only 20 stacks instead of 25 which is claimed in description); And I tested Tempest Dervish, the 25% offhand doublestrike is also bugged!

Critical Accuracy and Damage exist in both Assassin and Tempest tree, but their cost is different, 1AP vs 2AP per rank, why Tempest ranger need 6 more AP (total 12 APs) to max out 3 Seeker?

Quote Originally Posted by arcattaii View Post
    Critical Accuracy and Damage exist in both Assassin and Tempest tree, but their cost is different, 1AP vs 2AP per rank, why Tempest ranger need 6 more AP (total 12 APs) to max out 3 Seeker?
    Total agreement.

Community Member

A simple request. Both the rogue and monk sneak speed enhancement lines require only 1 level of the class and have no requirements while the ranger one requires level 2 with a requirement of 6 AP spent (the other enhancement needed with the +1/2/3 sneak).

I request a move of the sneak speed to level 1. The requirement for the other one should be kept. This way for the +50% speed you'll need to invest 7 AP and 1 level of ranger instead of 7 AP and 2 levels of ranger.

Overall I have to say I LOVE the ranger class with these new ENH. Very good just over all.

Please add back devotion enhancements as low-hanging fruit in one of the trees.

I know I sound like a broken record on this but this is a pretty big deal. Even with maxxed heal skill the devotion is down a ton.

Community Member

Honestly, for EVERY class that can cast they have to put devotion for every tree. Of course in the current case the devotion per point for AA should be bigger than devotion per point for Tempest but it's dumb to cut 2 out of the 3 options of a class that can cast spells ...

(THE NUMBERS ARE PURELY FOR EXAMPLE)
    0.5 points per AA
    0.33 points per Deepwood Stalker
    0.25 points per Tempest

Quote Originally Posted by Hajutze View Post
    Honestly, for EVERY class that can cast they have to put devotion for every tree. Of course in the current case the devotion per point for AA should be bigger than devotion per point for Tempest but it's dumb to cut 2 out of the 3 options of a class that can cast spells ...

(THE NUMBERS ARE PURELY FOR EXAMPLE)
    0.5 points per AA
    0.33 points per Deepwood Stalker
    0.25 points per Tempest
    I get where you're going with that, but those numbers are all way too low. My tempest ranger on live has 80 devotion from enhancements. You should get 1 devotion per point spent in any tree, with the difference to be made up for in skills.

And there will be a difference, unless maybe the devs don't think any ranger would ever spend AP in any other tree? All that work on the racial trees literally thrown away on the altar of getting devotion, I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    I get where you're going with that, but those numbers are all way too low. My tempest ranger on live has 80 devotion from enhancements. You should get 1 devotion per point spent in any tree, with the difference to be made up for in skills.

And there will be a difference, unless maybe the devs don't think any ranger would ever spend AP in any other tree? All that work on the racial trees literally thrown away on the altar of getting devotion, I guess?
    Make a tier 1 ability, what tree doesn't matter as long as it gives 80 points of devotion.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    Make a tier 1 ability, what tree doesn't matter as long as it gives 80 points of devotion.
    Actually, this is workable as a tier 1 ability, 3 ranks, 2 AP per rank, 20 devotion per rank.

Spend 6 AP to get 60 devotion, since it's tier 1 it's available to any ranger, and for comparison to live you get 60 devotion from 6 AP so it's no change compared to tier 3 on live. The missing 20 devotion to be made up for with the heal skill.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Actually, this is workable as a tier 1 ability, 3 ranks, 2 AP per rank, 20 devotion per rank.

Spend 6 AP to get 60 devotion, since it's tier 1 it's available to any ranger, and for comparison to live you get 60 devotion from 6 AP so it's no change compared to tier 3 on live. The missing 20 devotion to be made up for with the heal skill.
    This.

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

Original post deleted because I was misinformed about enhancement cost changes.

I would say that some Ranger Tree costs still need to be adjusted down, however, with most of them requiring 2 AP. Things like the +1 sneak, +1 hide costing 2 AP per tier is too much, even with 1d6 sneak attack on the final tier.
    Last edited by FlaviusMaximus; 06-30-2013 at 03:26 PM.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast