Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Default +1 returning arrows only

Well the arcane archer is truly nerfed despite everything I've heard to the contrary. They have lost the prestige class ablility to summon anything greater than +1 returning arrows. I don't care that you get improvements to the bows you use now or that you can get bows with +5 or greater on them, it's the principle of the matter that you have removed this core ability from the class that is wrong. If as you are saying that we don't need anything greater than +1 arrows, then all +2 and greater arrows and bolts should be removed from vendors especially from House Deneith patron vendor as they are no longer necessary. Think of all the money players could save by buying ordinary or masterwork arrows only. Of course they would need way more quivers to carry all these arrows around now and therefore would have less pack space for loot from quests but obviously someone thought this would be a good tradeoff for the arcane archer. Next on the list to lose their ability to summon better than +1 ammo will be the artificer, after all they can get crossbows with +5 or greater on them, so they don't need +2 or greater ammo either.

Simply put bring back the Arcane Archer's ability to summon arrows greater than +1, in other words the +2 to +5 arrows as is their right and leave the poor artificers alone also.

Hero

Quote Originally Posted by Kik97 View Post
    Well the arcane archer is truly nerfed despite everything I've heard to the contrary. They have lost the prestige class ablility to summon anything greater than +1 returning arrows.
    If you think AAs are nerfed, then you don't understood how to play one. The new AA tree is absolutely amazing. Nothing needs to change.
    U19 Kensei: Centered Cleaver | TR Junkie Leveling Framework

~Ying~ (10 lives), ~Hamada~(9 lives), ~Vadanken~ (6 lives), ~Kobeyashi~ (10 lives)
    Over Raided of Orien, First Level 100 Guild

Quote Originally Posted by Carpone View Post
    If you think AAs are nerfed, then you don't understood how to play one. The new AA tree is absolutely amazing. Nothing needs to change.
    I'm sorry but I do consider it a nerf when you take away the ability of one of my AA's to use +5 returning arrows with her +2 wounding of puncturing longbow. And I have 2 AA's that I play under the current system quite well thank you. I may be forced to use the new system to make an arcane archer but I don't have to like what was done to them which is removing an ability of the class to do something that they earned the right to do.

And as far as the slay living arrow imbuement goes, I'm not carrying around quivers of bane arrows to make up for what is now more like a sniper shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kik97 View Post
    I'm sorry but I do consider it a nerf when you take away the ability of one of my AA's to use +5 returning arrows with her +2 wounding of puncturing longbow.
    You still have that. You still fire your +2 bow with +5 bow enhancment. Same thing really. They arrow and bow bonuses never stacked anyway.
    I'm with some of the other opinions and think the AA tree is well structured. I like how the AA and DWS trees are both good ranged choices but very different from a playstyle/strategy standpoint.
    Sarlona
    Gutter-Oowaoonah-Ute-Mauhl-Rockroll-Gutsack-Talrasha

The only thing I will miss about +5 AA arrows is when I TR. I usually loaded up my banks slots with +5 arrows so I have +5 at lvl 1. Othere than that, not much to complain about. Just about every bow over lvl 14 now seesm to be +5 now anyways.
    Sarlona Server Mythical:
    Kluege Fixer- Baddabing - Majuscule Kluege - Klueje - Klooj Maker - Dundar Kluege - Superkluege

Default Tempest Core Ability T6 "Dervish"

Has anyone tried this ability?

The description text is:
    Dervish: You gain +2 Dexterity. You now have a +25% chance to doublestrike with you off-hand when dual wielding.

I take the PTWF feat, now my main-hand double strike chance is 10%(without any items, just enhancement+feat) and off-hand doublestrike chance should be 35%(25% from Dervish, 10% from PTWF), but the test result is:
    Attack: 100 times
    Main-hand doublestrike: 9 times
    Off-hand doublestrike: 3 times
    And, off-hand doublestrike never occurs independently, it always occurs along with main-hand doublestrike, just like its additive.

So the real effect is far different from description:
    When you make a normal doublestrike(main-hand doublestrike), there is a chance that you will make a off-hand double strike.

Quote Originally Posted by arcattaii View Post

The description text is:
    Dervish: You gain +2 Dexterity. You now have a +25% chance to doublestrike with you off-hand when dual wielding.

I take the PTWF feat, now my main-hand double strike chance is 10%(without any items, just enhancement+feat) and off-hand doublestrike chance should be 35%(25% from Dervish, 10% from PTWF), but the test result is:
    And, off-hand doublestrike never occurs independently, it always occurs along with main-hand doublestrike, just like its additive.

When you make a normal doublestrike(main-hand doublestrike), there is a chance that you will make a off-hand double strike.
    You numbers are consistent with you 35% off hand chance, that is 1 out of 3 (or 3 out of 9). Nice intuition.

Community Member

I solo'd an Elven AA to lvl 25 and through all destinies to cap. While I like many of the changes, no devotion is bad for the class as a whole and catastrophic for non human. Soloing to 25 was difficult enough with decent self heals...now however, I doubt I would be able to repeat that. The SP cost / cooldowns of some of the imbues is also cause for serious concern.

The hope on my part that the changes would bring more versatilty to the class as a whole might be a bit premature now. It seems that the previous narrow pool of enhancement essentials required to make a ranger viable are simply being replaced by a different narrow pool of essentials.

On the whole, major nerf to non human rangers, nerf to AA, same or slightly better for tempest, huge boost to deepwood which was terrible to begin with, so thats not saying much.

Hero

Quote Originally Posted by JPGR View Post
    While I like many of the changes, no devotion is bad for the class as a whole and catastrophic for non human.
    75 Positive Spell Power is available in tier1 Deepwood Stalker. For 7 AP you net +2 SA dice, 75 Positive Spell Power, +10m point blank range and some empathy abilities no one ever uses. It's a very reasonable cost for the benefit, and more spellpower than you can obtain by splashing Ranger in the old system.
    U19 Kensei: Centered Cleaver | TR Junkie Leveling Framework

~Ying~ (10 lives), ~Hamada~(9 lives), ~Vadanken~ (6 lives), ~Kobeyashi~ (10 lives)
    Over Raided of Orien, First Level 100 Guild

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by JPGR View Post
    I solo'd an Elven AA to lvl 25 and through all destinies to cap. While I like many of the changes, no devotion is bad for the class as a whole and catastrophic for non human. Soloing to 25 was difficult enough with decent self heals...now however, I doubt I would be able to repeat that. The SP cost / cooldowns of some of the imbues is also cause for serious concern.

The hope on my part that the changes would bring more versatilty to the class as a whole might be a bit premature now. It seems that the previous narrow pool of enhancement essentials required to make a ranger viable are simply being replaced by a different narrow pool of essentials.

On the whole, major nerf to non human rangers, nerf to AA, same or slightly better for tempest, huge boost to deepwood which was terrible to begin with, so thats not saying much.
    On top of what carpone mentioned there's universal spell power bonuses in the AA tree according to the release notes.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
    On top of what carpone mentioned there's universal spell power bonuses in the AA tree according to the release notes.
    Fair enuff - I stand corrected. I wasnt aware that the new enhancements would allow taking enhancements from different paths. i hope the 80 points will be enough without having to make too many compromises. I guess I will find out in 7 days.

Waiting in the lava pits to chain trip you on the way to Prison of the Planes

Any chance of adding +1 Int as an option to the +1 Dex / +1 Wis ability increases from the Arcane Archer tree?

I'd argue it's more thematic than Wisdom since you know, Arcane = int. Sort of on some level.

More compelling to me is that it would open up the "almost-sort-of-maybe-looking-like-it-might-be-possible" Arcane Archer / DC-casting wizard possibility.

The DC loss is still reasonably heavy since it basically precludes (via AP starvation) investment to the point of anything decent in one of either Archmage or Pale Master. Even with the addition of the +1 Int option, it'd still be a loss of one DC (since you still lose either Lich Form (PM) or Primary School DC+1 (AM) as well as the two +1 Int enhancements) relative to those trees.

Obviously spell power would also go down, and it's hard to juggle in the archery feats without losing too much caster functionality since they replace Metamagics or Spell Pen or Spell Focii. Just a thought anyway - would be fun to see some wizard / arcane archer hybrids.
    Khyber: Aggrim (Completionist!)
    All of my builds are grossly out of date. Just roll a human or drow mechanic / assassin rogue thing.
    Blind insta-kills floating eye balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathdefy View Post
    Any chance of adding +1 Int as an option to the +1 Dex / +1 Wis ability increases from the Arcane Archer tree?
    It's a Divine tree that uses Arcane "like" abilities or to be more accurate "Nature based" abilities. Therefore this can only be Wisdom.
    "(Party): [Party] Mislabeled: you were killed by Qrazydirections"

Waiting in the lava pits to chain trip you on the way to Prison of the Planes

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconShadow View Post
    It's a Divine tree that uses Arcane "like" abilities or to be more accurate "Nature based" abilities. Therefore this can only be Wisdom.
    It's my impression that Arcane Archer is indeed about Arcane imbuing and isn't really "Nature based divine bonuses" like the other Ranger trees.

I'm quibbling though and don't really mind if lore-wise the point is arguable.

The real reason I advocate the additional option of choosing Int is to open up an interesting build possibility in a DC-Wizard / Arcane Archer combination.
    Khyber: Aggrim (Completionist!)
    All of my builds are grossly out of date. Just roll a human or drow mechanic / assassin rogue thing.
    Blind insta-kills floating eye balls.

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconShadow View Post
    In D&D, Arcane Archer Prestige Class REQUIRES you to be able to cast 1st level arcane spells, that is, to have at least one level of either bard, wizard or sorcerer (or similar classes). Also, it requires you to be elf or half elf.
    As a matter of fact, Arcane Archer is based on merging two things in which elves are very competent: archery and arcane magic.

In DDO, it doesn't require you to have arcane capabilities. It doesn't require you to be elf either. But at least I would like to be capable to reproduce the original theme and feeling of this class.

Add INT as an ability increase option. (elf favored class is wizard, so int is the most thematic, but cha would be appreciated too)

Quote Originally Posted by arcattaii View Post

The description text is:

Thank you for the testing and data points.

A tempest should be getting 100% off hand right?

At which point you should be 10 doubles on your mainhand and 35 on your offhand. Offhand doublestrike should not simply be a percentage of the percentage you get on your mainhand. This is where having higher offhand attack percentage matters more. The percentage of double strike should be checked for every offhand attack (which is based on your offhand attack percentage.)

When I say "should" I mean it as the way I think turbine should make it. Giving us what looks like decent percentages on the off hand but then binding them to a crappy percentage on the mainhand is slight of hand...
    /sigh

Default Wow toaf aproved

ok so i gotta say.. nice job for pure aa. im glad you gae a boost on my heals.

gota say my rangerficer is a dead build.but that is why i tred back to pure after 5-6 lifes of multiclass im glad iwent pure for this big pile of changes.

pease let us add at least 3 more sets of hotars i added 3. i might be able to knock it down to 2

so pass the word. toaf aprved for pure AA

maybe i can mess with artie soon but im 100% hhat build isdead

Community Member OverlordOfRats's Avatar

Default 19.2 Devotion suggestion

Instead of putting all the devotion into the DS tree, spread it out to all ranger trees.

My suggestion is to give +10 to each ranger's tree 1st core enhancement and +15 to each ranger's tree 2nd core enhancement. This makes it so you have to take at least three levels of ranger and spend 6APs in three different trees.

It removes the ability to splash one level of ranger and get the full 75. Most non rangers will not be willing to devote 3 levels and three trees and 18APs to get the 75 devotion. Rangers will still be able to get the 75 devotion fairly easily.

Alternatively, it could be +5 and +20 or even +0 and +25. Please, something besides level 20 ranger with 41APs spent in the DS tree.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by OverlordOfRats View Post
    Instead of putting all the devotion into the DS tree, spread it out to all ranger trees.

My suggestion is to give +10 to each ranger's tree 1st core enhancement and +15 to each ranger's tree 2nd core enhancement. This makes it so you have to take at least three levels of ranger and spend 6APs in three different trees.

It removes the ability to splash one level of ranger and get the full 75. Most non rangers will not be willing to devote 3 levels and three trees and 18APs to get the 75 devotion. Rangers will still be able to get the 75 devotion fairly easily.

Alternatively, it could be +5 and +20 or even +0 and +25. Please, something besides level 20 ranger with 41APs spent in the DS tree.
    This is a good solution. Hopefully the devs will pay attention to it.
    Sarlona: Acaat || Ahchuykak || Anaiadeia || Atlacoya || Camalos || Coyopa || Gwylelwiel || Imahidden || Kisin || Pukuh || Temporarily

Community Member OverlordOfRats's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coyopa View Post
    This is a good solution. Hopefully the devs will pay attention to it.
    Thanks.

I wanted a suggestion that made it possible for rangers,even 12 splits, to be able to get the devotion without the splash 1 level of rangers to get it. It seems that the 1 ranger splash is the problem not 12\15\18 rangers.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast