Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Steelstar View Post
    Thank you for the feedback so far all, it's been very helpful.

We wanted to address a couple of thoughts:

- Spell Power's influence on the damage of a Rune Arm shot is calculated when you fire the Rune Arm, not when the Rune Arm hits. The additional Spell Power granted from the Battle Engineer's Core Abilities does influence your Rune Arm when you shoot it, based on the charge tier of your shot.

- We're internally discussing several of the other concerns mentioned here, including those related to Wand Heightening, Wand & Scroll Mastery, the lack of Artificer Skill Boost, and the lack of Acid in Arcanotechnician's Spell Critical enhancements.

Thank you!
    Thank you for commenting. If I may, I have a few questions:

1. Why are spellpower criticals being reduced by a factor of 3?
    2. Will both trees be able to take them? Will both trees be able to use the full rune arm enhancements?
    3. Are class capstones being done away with?

A couple of comments:

1. I'm worried that linking spell power to rune arm charge is a good idea, but a bad plan. It produces optimal times to fire off spells - that certainly adds role-playing flavor (omg, my rune arm is so full of energy, I can tap that!), and will limit how and when artificers spell cast.

2. Reducing the spell crits chance so much greatly decreases the burst damage output of the class. Only if there is a corresponding increase in spell power will the class be able to contribute as much damage to party tactics as they currently do. Admittedly, managing aggro is a bit of a challenge (but fun) and so if damage output remains the same, you might be making the class more user friendly.

3. For me, the current, live artificer capstone defines the class. Its removal - and the separation of rune arm enhancements in one tree, spell power and crits in another - suggests that the class will lose a great deal of its versatility. It feels like it's being cut in two and I have difficulties imagining that it will be as enjoyable after.

One last point to consider: trees have roots. The core abilities of classes should perhaps be in a "root" from which the trees build off. Doing so would put all the general and class-central enhancements in one place, able to be taken by both tree lines.

Thank you.

two things:

1. racial enhancement should not have point spend in tree requirement, as most of them are useless. they should have character level limit, but not point spend limit, other then core ability if necessary

2. prestige should be done as prestige should have been, they should not be tied to base class level, but rather character level. prestige system in DND rule set are not bound to any class, they may have certain requirement for player to take at least one or two level of certain class. every build should have a capstone. (p.s. some of the enhancment tree are terrible, some are 90% same as before..)

p.s. if multiclass are punished, then perhaps we are better off with nwn online. they don't even allow multiclass, comeon.. multiclass is the only things that ddo shine amongst all other mmo.. if you guys keep doing this it will just fade away... at least i don't enjoy current system.. as we already lack most of the multiclass friendly feat...
    DDO have betray it's lineage, it is no longer any true to DND.. which Is why am gone.. for good..

Community Member

Hello!

This is my first post on the new system, immediately I looked into the Artificer trees to see what the deal is.

First thing, I am amazed by some of the ideas put into the Battle Engineer tree. I like very much that my weapons can become casting implements based on their Enhancement bonus, that is way cool. Yet to try see how much of an effect this has though as I spent my points elsewhere XD

I am AMAZED-literally!-at being able to remove the movement speed while my Runearm is charged-that is probably the coolest ability on any of the Artificer trees. My immediate thought was that having to spend 30 points to be able to take this was a bit much, but after using it, and understanding the tree system a bit better, I scrapped that thought. You can take that ability as early as level 8 so its fair enough.

One thing I wasnt too keen on was the Lightning Bolt ability in the Arcanotechnician tree. Not the appearance-it makes sense, totally-but the placement of the ability. I think it is kind of pointless to have that granted as a Level 12 ability, because as soon as you get it its maxed out. Who would want to unlock a new Level 3 spell once they hit Level 12? It seems kind of underpowered as a Level 12 ability. My suggestion would be to add it to the same branch as Lightning Sphere/Blast Rod/Lightning Motes, remove the Level limit but keep the AP cost. That way it would be more appealing to players while not being at all overpowered as the spell would still be limited by your caster level-you would still need at least 6 Arty levels to use it anyway, and this way it is treated as a regular spell that progresses with your level.

Im also thinking about the Runearm Universal spellpower boost while its charged. This is an awesome idea but I think most of us already have items that boost Spellpower in the areas we use so Im wondering if we could have the type of bonus it gives changed to something that will stack with all other bonuses, but with a slightly reduced effect? Perhaps make it an Artifact bonus but only give +4 Artifact bonus per tier, +20 maxed, or some such, otherwise I think it wont really make a difference to many. So altogether, with a Runearm at charge 5 and a +7 weapon attached we would get +20 Artifact +21 Implement fully stacking... (afterthought: ok Im not sure whether Universal does or doesnt stack, so if they already do, please ignore)

Anyway sorry about the lengthy post! And I am fully in favor of the level of Runearm specialization that will be available.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Singular View Post
    Thank you for commenting. If I may, I have a few questions:
    2. Will both trees be able to take them? Will both trees be able to use the full rune arm enhancements?
    It might be just me but I think its pointless to enable both trees to take the full Runearm enhancement lists, because what would be the point in investing in Battle Engineer at all in the first place? If Arcanotech can take full Runearm specs then there is absolutely no point in changing the system at all other than it being a more user-friendly interface. The entire Battle Engineer tree seems Runearm oriented-putting these abilities onto Arcaneotech would make every single sane player ignore Battle Engineer entirely, because none of its abilities are unique.

Secondly, unless I missed a comment by the devs (havent read the full thread) you can spend points in multiple trees. So there is nothing at all to worry about. The majority of the Runearm enhancements require 30 points spent in the tree or less, which is achievable by Level 8. So there is no issue at all for you to worry about. From what I can see, you can easily be focussed on Arcaneotechnician but still spend plenty of points upgrading your Runearm. Remember, by level 20 you will have... what is it? 80 Action Points? You could get almost all of the abilities in both trees, you just wouldnt have everything maxed out and would suffer a little on your core abilities and would have to pretty much ignore your Racial tree. But I bet it would be worth it
    Last edited by TitanOrion; 04-18-2013 at 10:21 PM.

It just occurred to me today... Artificers don't have any way of controlling their aggro, unless they use the iron defender pet. It would be nice to have a toggle that reduces threat generation. Currently, it is VERY easy for artificers to get aggro.... but very hard to get rid of it, since they don't have diplomacy or bluff as class skills.

Please devs,

will love to see in any of the Arti Pre trees a enhamment that makes you centered/not oath breaker when you have equiped a rune arm. Actually multiclass with artificer its pretty limited due that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TitanOrion View Post
    It might be just me but I think its pointless to enable both trees to take the full Runearm enhancement lists, because what would be the point in investing in Battle Engineer at all in the first place? If Arcanotech can take full Runearm specs then there is absolutely no point in changing the system at all other than it being a more user-friendly interface. The entire Battle Engineer tree seems Runearm oriented-putting these abilities onto Arcaneotech would make every single sane player ignore Battle Engineer entirely, because none of its abilities are unique.

Secondly, unless I missed a comment by the devs (havent read the full thread) you can spend points in multiple trees. So there is nothing at all to worry about. The majority of the Runearm enhancements require 30 points spent in the tree or less, which is achievable by Level 8. So there is no issue at all for you to worry about. From what I can see, you can easily be focussed on Arcaneotechnician but still spend plenty of points upgrading your Runearm. Remember, by level 20 you will have... what is it? 80 Action Points? You could get almost all of the abilities in both trees, you just wouldnt have everything maxed out and would suffer a little on your core abilities and would have to pretty much ignore your Racial tree. But I bet it would be worth it
    I can't imagine why anyone would go Arcanowhatever. It doesn't hold much interest for me, except for the spell crits. My point in asking - I am Singular, but I cannot get my login to work so I had to create this account - is b/c I want the capstone that we have on live.

Clearly, Battle Engineer is the only viable EE path for arties. But that forces you to use the uninspiring BE capstone and lose the very, very useful live capstone. So, I'm frustrated that my artie is going to change from the great versatility it currently enjoys.

Community Member

Smile Some concerns about the new enhancements.

I have been looking over the new enhancements and these are the concerns I have. Many have already commented on having a general tree or having points spent in one tree help with another as far as allowing us the versatility currently available on live with the old enhancement system (which while not as friendly for new users is very versatile if you don't mind using ddowiki to look stuff up). I was glad to see Steelstar's response in the thread addressing many of the points already raised. I am still concerned about the lack of being able to enhance runearm damage with spell power boost enhancements going away. I know that you said that it was being looked into for acid as there are many of those rune arms and the class already has an enhancement for fire/lightning/force, but there are still other runearms not represented like the light and cold damage ones. So I was wandering if there was a way to just boost general damage on runearms-enhancement wise- to replace that and that way you won't have to worry about what type(fire/light/acid/etc) they are using. Of course that would probably mean seperating the runearm boosts from the spell boosts so runearms aren't affected like spells otherwise people would try to take advantage (cause we all like to be uber powered if we can). The other big concern I had was with the dog enhancements in the arcanotechnician line. I used my dog extensively while playing as a artificer(recently trd as I am working on a completionist, although I will play an artificer again (life after this) as they are awesome!) and I believe that the dog enhancements should stay in the dog's own tree. Let the player decide how he wants his dog built to suit his characters play style. Do you want your dog boosting your mana and spellpower or PPR and dodge? Or both and maybe hanging close to you instead of taking the aggro and fighting up front. Although that raises the concern that if your dog can't boost you if it isn't close to you then can it only be defensive from now on? This has gotten longer than I originally planned but those are some of my concerns. I know that if you take the dog enhancements out of the arcano tree that it will leave a hole, but I feel that class is meant more for spellcasting and there are a ton of people that don't use their dogs anyway so how about giving them something more for what they want with spellcasting like faster spellcasting or more spells or spell slots? All dog customization should be with the dog's own tree for those of us who love our defenders and want them supporting us with the versatility to fit our character choices. After all isn't that why so many of us play DDO over other MMOs? Customization and the roots to real D&D. Unlike Neverwinter Nights new game that just stole the world and has nothing to do with real D&D(feats, skills, levels, etc).

Well.. I have not so much words to say.. I'm speechless.. Nothing changed.. Everything is so expensive..
    Not sure why you deliberately decided to deprive those that like arti for xbow/runearm of the actual capstone.. To get it you must forget to spend point in the racial tree..

Sad panda.. rly sad panda..

Quote Originally Posted by blackdae View Post
    Well.. I have not so much words to say.. I'm speechless.. Nothing changed.. Everything is so expensive..
    Not sure why you deliberately decided to deprive those that like arti for xbow/runearm of the actual capstone.. To get it you must forget to spend point in the racial tree..
    Even if you ignore the racial tree entirely, there aren't enough AP to get both arty capstones. I assume that this is WAI, but that just means it's a bad Intention that it's Working As. Effectively, 6 levels of arty enhancements on live have been spread out over about 84 AP of requirements on Lam.

Quote Originally Posted by tsotate View Post
    Even if you ignore the racial tree entirely, there aren't enough AP to get both arty capstones. I assume that this is WAI, but that just means it's a bad Intention that it's Working As. Effectively, 6 levels of arty enhancements on live have been spread out over about 84 AP of requirements on Lam.
    lol it was never meant for you to have both capstones. lol im not sure where you got that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by tsotate View Post
    Yep, I know that you can't have both.. In fact I tried giving up most of the engineer core abilities to get the other capstone.. But both trees are VERY expensive.. So it came up a stupid thing..
    I'd suggest to give both capstone the actual live one (character level for item clickies) PLUS something else.. It's a very nice artis' trick, it doesn't seem fair to me taking it off..

Also, but maybe it's just me, I can't see an arti being "caster centered".. So that new tree kinda makes me.. Meh!

Community Member

Default suggestions

suggestion for artificier:

what about making an enhancements that recite:

your pet get +3 levels and +1 maximum level ?

for example a level 20 artificier gets a lvl 21 dog
    and a level 6artificier level 6 fighter gets a lvl 9 dog

what do you think ?

also... what about giving the artificier dog pet self repair enhancement line, the effect of the ml20 ring of artificier ?
    talking about the 90hp reactive proc reconstruction...

Hatchery Founder
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by nayozz View Post
    also... what about giving the artificier dog pet self repair enhancement line, the effect of the ml20 ring of artificier ?
    talking about the 90hp reactive proc reconstruction...

Have you looked at the Arcanotech tree? It has a repair over time aura enhancement.
    RedShirt / Roleplayer of Giant Slayers, Inc. on Thelanis, formerly Tharashk.
    Member of the DDO Player Council

Coldin-Artificer; Lynton-Bard; Alydyn-Swashbuckler;
    Takai-
    Monk; Rosein-Paladin; Ellyiana-Cleric; Aurixs-Sorcerer

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Coldin View Post
    Have you looked at the Arcanotech tree? It has a repair over time aura enhancement.
    yes... it repairs for 5-10hp

and ticks half as frequently on party, compared on dog... seems kinda weak

the 90hp repair proc could pack some punch... considering most people bank the pet at high level, that could help a bit...

Please get rid of repair systems. The constant floaty numbers spamming me becomes distracting very quickly and does absolutely no good. If you must have this useless enhancement in the tree at least unlock it from the others so I can choose to skip it!

Hero

Default Repair Spellpower significantly reduced from live

On live my Warforged 16 Artificer/2 Monk/2 Ranger has 190 Repair Spellpower. On Lamannia, after LR'ing into full ranks of Repair Skill, my Repair Spellpower is 128 (90 item + 38 Repair Skill). This Repair Spellpower gap reduces Reconstruct's efficacy by 22%, from 435 on live to 342 on Lamannia.

On top of this, Repair Critical Chance was reduced from 20% on live (Superior Repair Lore + Enhancements) to 11% on Lamannia (5% Magical Training and 6% from Repair Lore VI).

In the new enhancement system, there are no options to increase Repair Critical Chance.

The only way to close the gap with Repair Spellpower is to spend the bulk of Action Points in the Archanotechnician tree (1 AP spent = 1 Universal Spell Power). Unfortunately this tree offers little to no benefit for this character.

Consider these solutions:
    1. Modify the Battle Engineer core enhancement to provide +1 Repair Spellpower per 1 AP spent in the tree.
    2. Modify the Field Engineer enhancement (in Battle Engineer) to also provide +1 Repair per rank.
    3. Modify the Arcanotechnician core enhancement to provide 1% Repair Critical Chance per core ability purchased.
    4. Introduce +skill augments sooner rather than later, specifically +20 Repair Skill. While this isn't ideal since it occupies an augment slot, players would welcome the option.
    U19 Kensei: Centered Cleaver | TR Junkie Leveling Framework

~Ying~ (10 lives), ~Hamada~(9 lives), ~Vadanken~ (6 lives), ~Kobeyashi~ (10 lives)
    Over Raided of Orien, First Level 100 Guild

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Battle Engineer

- The core abilities are a bit boring but all pretty thematic and probably pretty potent

- Weapon training boring..nor is it really powerful to make up for that...amounts to +4 Damage but of course after wasting points on those enhancement it culminates in the awesomeness that is Endless Fusillade (machine gun FTW)...not sure why you'd take haste boost though...than there's the Tier 5 ability...weapon attachment...that IS pretty awesome sounded pretty cool until I read the effect of +0.5[w]...really that's like an average of 2 maybe 3 (1D5) damage. Boring and kinda meh ovberall except endless fusilade...I like that Endless Fusilade is a cooldown now instead of reliant on damage boost

- Field engineer skill increaser yeah...good skill increaser...all it does and really all it needs to do

- Attack Boost: Bleh a boost..I hate boosts and ATTACK boost really...who actually misses anymore especially with the core increasing enchant anymore.

- Item defense: Woot items break less, good enhancement.

- Thermal Venting: I'm not really sure about this enhancement...I've only taken it on live a few times and it doesn't seem to do much...tried here same experience I'm not sure if its bugged or just useless.

- Wrack/Disable Construct...oh hey cool it works for ranged now...its still wrack construct though...change this to Construct Bane (Lesser Bane/Bane/Greater Bane) than have the "Disable construct" add Smiting (add an -> between them)

- Damage boost - hey look another boost...i hate these things but damage boost is at least useful so other who don't loathe boosts will use it...so yeah this ones a positive despite my whining.

- Normally wouldn't bother mentioned the stat boosts but I like that it's Str, Dex OR Int..nice and flexible..good job

- Arcane Capacitors: reducing the speed of your rune arm whilst moving does nothing it still decharges in 2/4 steps instead of 1 this would only be useful if the tier 5 it leads to removed the decharging. Why do you guys hate us moving so much?

- Tactical Mobility: Ah this ones really nice that speed reduction whilst minor is really annoying props to the dev who came up with this...I don't think its worth being a tier 5 ability though

- Rune Arm Overcharge 1/2 - This one whilst simple is incredibly potent especially since having your rune arm charged increases your spell power

Overall unfortunately I'm VERY disappointed with this tree the abilities are either really meh, costs too much or aren't worth give up other tier 5 abilities and worst of all there's nothing really interesting or flavourful like Warchanter has despite being a similar Prestige....on my Bard/Artificer I'll likely buy the Core abilities I qualify for than maybe field engineer & Item defense and keep the rest of my points for the Bard line and racial stuff which is REALLY unfortunate because I love endless Fusilade it's one of the main reasons I chose to do a Bard/Arty Split instead of just Bard.

Arcanotechnician

- I keep thinking it says ArachnoTechnician....I want to summon mechanical spiders of death :P

- I've noticed alot of people complaining about this one which is weird its got some issues but its way better than BE

- Core # 1 Every points spent increases USP...does this effect your rune arm damage...if not it's fine I'm just woindering either way its apporpriate and encourages spending alot of points in this tree so even lesser abilities grant something

- Core # 2 I love these "Imbued Potion" abilities especially the ridiculous range on them...Temp HP/SP works for me

- Core # 3 this one is a little weird it adds Temp SP each time I cast a spell/infusion..I'd rather just a flat reduction in spell costs even if it's just -5%

- Core # 4 Add lightning bolt to your spell list WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! I love this...lightning bolt is an amazing spell and for a Evo/Air specced Arty it makes me very happy...I really wish this was switched with Core 3 so my Barty could use it but thats not really a point against this...just a point against my build.

- Core # 5 oooo a better heal potion thanks guys...gimme more imbued potions please i love em so much

- Capstone: This one is as Epic as it is on live currently don't change it...even if I do want it to work for scrolls :P

- The left side SLA line - cool free SLAs...works for me I only ask that you make Lighting Motes a persistent AOE instead of being similar to Fireball/Acid Blast...Air is the only elemental that doesn't have one.

- The crit line - tis boring but needed to be in there so ill accept it especially since its giving me USP as well, I think 2 AP for each is too much though I'd say 2 for the first one than 1/1/1 for the others....alternative you could add some more buff/CC SLAs here and leave it at 2 AP (Suggestions: Haste, Hold Person Mass, Hold Monster Mass, Rage, Otto's Sphere, Teleport/Greater Teleport) they could even be multi-selectors so you could choose which you would want

- The Iron Defender Line - before I actually read the effects I was like boo these should be in the arty dogs enhancements but than i read it and not only are the affects pretty cool they give the character bonuses as well so thats pretty awesome...Defender line your awesome

- Wand and Scroll Mastery - It's wand and scroll mastery IOW still just as awesome as live and i dont have to waste points on wand heightening to get it although 2/2/2 AP is a bit much...I'd say 2/1/1

- Vulnerability - this one is quite interesting by lightning bolting people not only am I hurting them but I'm also increasing everyones damage on that target...awesome for bosses. Fits Arty perfectly

Overall aside from a few nit picks and one or two complaints this is a very well done Tree and my Arty will likely be pleased with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Community Member

Just asking.
    The Vulnerability and the crit line affect the SLAs right ?

Problem I have is that you cant take Master Defender (and you have spend a lot of points I don't want to in that tree to get it) with the two runearm caps.

Somehow it seems to have lost the "Engineer" part of the class.

If you are a spell casting arti then it seems ok baring some glitches mentioned before, battle engineer seems ok but sacrifices the ability to build on your mutt.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast