Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Im really liking the looks of a full Dex based Halfling running in Tempest (maybe splashed, maybe not, maybe 10Temp/8Kensai/2mnk) wielding scimmies and in shadowdancer destiny using Exexcutioners Strikes, there seems to be some synergy there.

Halflings do look pretty decent when comparing them to other racial trees, but of course other races also have other things going for them that we probably shouldn't forget too quickly.
    Toons:
    Smallmans Syndrome, Rovac, Dragnipur, Prettyhater Machine, Lubed, Castinfist
    Emmpeethree, Hyperkill Hyperthrill and Greyvegas (All on Khyber)

My impressions (from the POV of rogue Halfling):
    0. Tier 4 abilities require 20 APs spent. I'm not sure if I really want to invest that heavily into a tree with OKish core abilities, and tier 4 abilties which a a) a linear progression of lower tier abilities, b) require a feat or c) enhances throwers. I think I'd rather have a primary class tree (spending 42+ APs on it) and a secondary one (spending 22+ APs)
    1. The Dodge line is interesting, but I'm not sure if there's room for the dodge feat.
    2. Guile is nice, but I won't take it up to tier 4. That's OK - under the old system I didn't take Guile IV as well, as it was to AP-heavy.
    3. Halfling Companion seems reasonably priced and one of the most flavorful abilities of the tree. I like it.
    4. The tier 1 abilities have only marginally bonus. I don't see much reason to invest into them except to unlock higher tiers.
    5. The Core enhancements look nice, but not great. I don't see why I need to get the dex bonuses to unlock the Luck. For a str-based melee (or a caster), the dex bonuses are an AP sink if you want the luck. For a dex-based based character, I think that +2 dex is not much. I'm not sure if this is enough to make dex-based melees a viable option.
    6. The dragonmark line looks nice. Halfling bards, rangers and artificers have now added healing options.
    Toons on Orien: Meinir // Flodur // Twiddler // Thorkar // Impetor // Juliacantor // Minor all Soko Irrlicht
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We may or may not intentionally insert in red herrings, purple mackerels, or horses of different colors. Void where prohibited. Not available in all planes of existence.

Quote Originally Posted by karl_k0ch View Post
    5. The Core enhancements look nice, but not great. I don't see why I need to get the dex bonuses to unlock the Luck. For a str-based melee (or a caster), the dex bonuses are an AP sink if you want the luck. For a dex-based based character, I think that +2 dex is not much. I'm not sure if this is enough to make dex-based melees a viable option.
    If you're picking HALFLING as a race, DEX and saves is probably important to you... Most melee hobbits are going to have evasion, or they would have probably picked a different race.

Definitely worth the AP cost to pick up the saves even if you really don't want the DEX (+2 DEX is like another +1 to reflex save though)... Much cheaper than the luck bonuses in the current enhancement system...

And 2 ranks of Guile looks pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Community Member

I am going to cherry pick my responses rather than giving a break down of the tree.

- Dex to damage for thrown weapons is a tier 3 ability. I believe all stat attack changes should be achievable by level 2 or the very latest level 6. If you are building to use that stat at end game then all that having these special abilities at higher point requirements is doing is making leveling painful. Save us the pain and open access to these character direction changing abilities at early levels.

- This is true for all trees, enough with the skill linking. I can see the dragon marks linking but other than that . . . very few make sense and I believe that graphically putting in the arrow space is causing some lead in abilities to be placed at higher levels so the UI designers can fit in all the buttons. If you must link abilities give either or requirements on some of the truly trash abilities. Realistically though you already have linking by requiring a certain number of points spent in the tree.

- General rule, skills and non combat abilities should only cost 1 AP Combat buffs and combat abilities can be 2 AP.

Okay the changes Id made:

Bottom: No need to take dex if u want to take saves and the other way.
    Rest: I dont like I have to take things like "Acrobatic" to be able to take dodge later. I mean I can take 1 tier of this but not all 3... its 2 wasted AP. If it was sth like: during tumble and 2 seconds after it you gain 2/4/6% stackable dodge (even over the cap). They yeah... I would consider taking it. But what have tumbling and AC to later dodge tiers?

Or maybe if i was giving PPR - not only while tumbling. Like: You get +2 to bla bla bla and 2/4/6 additional stacking PPR. Then MAYBE it was worth taking.
    But AC in current game is not worth it and doesnt matter at all.

Everything else looks solid. But I feel like its a little pricy tree, even if with good abilities.

Default Halfling Hero's Companion PRR does not scale

0/0/10 PRR should be 3/6/10 or at least 2/5/10 for some sort of scaling. An ability should be worth considering below the top tier.
    Someone got it wrong. Everyone expected the Spanish Inquisition because they were required to give 30 days notice, by law.
    I can be found on Orien. My more active toons are Cilon, Solstone in Your Pack, and sometimes Acroyer.

Community Member

Just focusing on the Halfling Throwing Enhancements:

Skillful Thrower should probably be moved down to Tier 2. As Trasak stated, the abilities that allow other Stats to be used for attacks and damage should be accessible early for builds that are designed that way.

Master Thrower is fine as it is.

With that said, I'm surprised more wasn't done for Halfling Throwing. There's no Throwing (ranged) Alacrity included in the Enhancements. Also, I'm surprised that there wasn't a Manyshot/Endless Fusillade type of throwing clicky for Halflings.

Will the Dragonmarks recharge over time or is it still going to be /per rest?

Default Dragonmarks per rest or cooldown

Quote Originally Posted by Antheal View Post
    Will the Dragonmarks recharge over time or is it still going to be /per rest?
    Good question...I'd much rather have it on a cooldown than have it limited per rest. Some might prefer it to be limited by rest so they can expend all of them in quick succession.

Either way, it'd be nice to know.
    Character Compendium

In general, this appears to be one of the better racial trees as far as general powers go.

I'm personally not too keen on the thrown weapons line, but I don't expect to love everything. The costs for the dragonmark line are very high for what you get. Yes, they are replacing feats, but they should be a viable option and not take 1/4 or more of your ap to buy out.

The linking of the individual enhancements into chains is frustrating, especially when combined with required spends to unlock tiers and further chains/required spends in the Racial core line.

But as far as the actual powers go, pretty nice. Bring down the costs and unlink most things. Halfling Cunning and Guile should be linked, they are on live. The others, not so much.

Community Member

The stacking dodge should really be reset on dodge, not on miss. Penalizes chars for investing in ac, displacement, incorp, etc. Maybe even make it lose a stack on dodge instead of reset, so it builds up as you tank more.

I thought I should ask here as my other thread will probably be overlooked by the devs, will we be getting the Jorasco Dragonmark Heir prestige?

Hopefully?

Eventually?

At all?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    If you're picking HALFLING as a race, DEX and saves is probably important to you... Most melee hobbits are going to have evasion, or they would have probably picked a different race.
    The problem is that most people aren't picking halfling, they have already picked halfling. They picked a halfling where the size made an AC difference, that is now irrelevant. They picked a halfling when +4 sneak attack damage actually mattered, but is now irrelevant (and not even possible) and to get the +3 sneak attack requires 22 points into the tree!

And really, will ANYONE be picking halfling now for ANYTHING? I'm sure there might be a build out there, and a few people who think dragon mark of healing is just awesome, but aside from that...

Quote Originally Posted by oweieie View Post
    I'm sure there might be a build out there, and a few people who think dragon mark of healing is just awesome, but aside from that...
    Hey, I resemble that remark.

The hope of A Jorasco Dragonmarked Heir Beacon of Hope is the only thing that's kept my interest in playing DDO for the last year or so...

The problem is that most people aren't picking halfling, they have already picked halfling. They picked a halfling where the size made an AC difference, that is now irrelevant. They picked a halfling when +4 sneak attack damage actually mattered, but is now irrelevant (and not even possible) and to get the +3 sneak attack requires 22 points into the tree!

And really, will ANYONE be picking halfling now for ANYTHING? I'm sure there might be a build out there, and a few people who think dragon mark of healing is just awesome, but aside from that...
    I have a halfling acrobat/monk build. She will stay halfling post enhancement pass. I love dex-ey bouncy elements of the build, and honestly, I like the look of the toon. Half orc is probably a better choice, but just too ugly to stare at for any length of time.

If the costs in the box come down, I'll be glad to dedicate one feat and some AP to the dragonmark line. Self-healing is the only thing this build is missing, and the early days of the Big F'n Stick build actually had the full line of dragonmarks.

I doubt I'll make any new halflings, however. I'll stick with half elves, or possibly migrate to elves if the costs on the dilly's don't come down to be affordable.

It's 3d6 sneak attack damage. not +3.

I'll grab the 2d6 for sure. How many APs is that? That's a boost, not a nerf.

Halflings still work great as TWF Evasion melee... Especially fighters since you can afford the feats for dragonmarks and save the APs.

I too very much wish the dragonmarks would recharge over time...
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

I'm still really disappointed that there is no way for halflings to unlock the assassin tree as a racial thing.
    I had some plans

Community Member

Default A Halfling Enhancements I'd Like To See....

Name: Improved Bluffing
    Requirements: Halfling, ??
    Cost: 2 AP per rank, 3 ranks
    Description: Whenever you successfully bluff an enemy, that enemy takes 1d6/d8/d10 damage from all of your attacks for 6 seconds. In addition, the target suffers a -1/-2/-3 AC penalty and a 0/-1/-2 reflex save penalty. Rank 3: Every time you bluff an enemy, you roll twice and take the higher result.

Community Member

Default halfling pure ranger deepwood stalker

Hi all,

I've not gotten to end game content yet so this thought may seem silly to others, but I wonder how well a group of halfling 20 rangers in deepwood stalker could do. That DS lvl 20 bit says your are always in point blank shot and ranged sneak range. So it would seem that all but one of the characters would be hitting the same mob for +1W and 7d6 sneak from the moment the mob is visible...I'd think that a lot of volleys could be loosed by the time the mob got to melee range.

Am I missing something?

Note, TOD ring set ~ Dragonmark ring:
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Dragonmarked_Ring

Adds two additional uses of greater dragonmark.

This may need a bit of retooling to fit the new dragonmark system.

Thank you for making dragonmarks only cost one feat.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast