Default Selfhealing non-WF airbender

(sorry for mistakes in english, it is not my natural language)

It is my build, currently at lvl 22.
    I've always envied selfhealing ability of Warforged race. Warforged race is unavailable for F2P. Later, i've found magic of dragonmarks. So i tried to build pure sorcerer based on dragonmarks of healing.

First life, first character (no shared gear available)

http://ddocrafting.info/myddo/thelanis/Shewind/ (Shewind, Wind mistress)

Starting stats (28 pts)

Race: Halfling
    STR: 7 (-2) - put 1pt to boost little STR to get better protection against STR damage at low levels
    DEX: 10 (0)
    CON: 16 (+3) - it is better to start with +3 CON
    INT: 12 (+1) - need 3 skill pts
    WIS: 8 (-1)
    CHA: 17 (+3) - you can start with 18, but you will suffer 2pts on CON and 1pt to STR

Boost CHA at every 4th level

Skills:
    Concentration, Diplomacy, UMD. Leave a few points on tumble.
    Diplomacy is your armor, keep one finger above the hotkey during battle.

Feats:
    1. Least Dragonmark of Healing
    I am taking this for first level, because there is no feat more valuable at this level for this build. You gain 3 times of Cure Light Wounds, which can be extended to four using enhancements. You can also cast CLW on friend. This can sometime help in parties without healer.

3. Maximize spell
    You will need one of these metamagics (Max or Empw) for PrE, so take Maximize. Use feat to empower your dragonmark! This will not cost any SP, so there is no reason to have turned off this feat for dragonmarks. Keep turned on. Your dragonmark gives you twice more HPs now!

6. Lesser Dragonmark of Healing
    It gives you two Cure Serious Wounds and adds extra usage on CLW. With enhancements, you will able to cast 5 times CLW and 3 times CSW. Don't forget to apply maximize feat!.

9. Evocation focus.
    You will need this for PrE, don't need to wait

12. Heighten
    You will be useless without this at highter levels. Don't take Greater dragonmark, there are more important feats. If you will have a luck, you can win Bottomless Flask of Rum Tier 10 during Crystal Cove festival as alternative to the greater dragonmark.

15. Spell Penetration
    Must have this feat

18. Toughness
    Some leaders want to check your HPs at higher levels. (Foolish leaders doesn't know, that you can heal yourself. Try to spend some letters for description of your toon into "bio" field. A few leaders can read this and there is small chance, that they will not kick you from the party)

21. Greater Spell Penetration.
    Helps in epic

Enhancements:
    Air Savant I/II/III, Spell Penetration, All dragonmarks, All racial toughness, Sorcerer charisma +1, some EofD.

Spells:
    Sonic Blast (very usefull, I am still using this at epic levels as "basic damage" when other spells are unavailable due cooldown)
    Magic Missile / Force missile (some mobs are immune to eletric/sonic spells. Shroud portals from phase 1 can be hit by only Force missile. Similar to some monsters from demonweb)
    Some AoE spells from Fire or Water element (firewall, Ice storm), because Air savant has lack of classic AoE spells

Shocking grasp, Electric Loop, Lighting Bold - Use Air savant spell-like ability!!. Apply Maximize and Heighten (it will boost eletric loop's daze efect, tanks will love you!). This doesn't cost any additional SPs!

Cyclonic Blast (heighten), Eladar's Electric Surge (Maximized) - BOSS KILLER - apply Awaken Elemental Weakness after use EES.

Set of must-have spells: Shield, Blur, Displacement, GH, Resistances, element.protections (buff both, resists and protections), stone skin, rage, false life, expeditious retreat, jump,fire shield.

Energy Drain, any kill spell, Disintegrate, Banishment, Dimension Doors, Prismatic spray,

Gear:
    Staff is your only weapon. Boost spell power for air/sonic spells. Replace your staff on every level to achieve better spell power enhancement. Check AH, try to find staff with magnetism and resonance and/or with lighting or sonic lore. Also keep potency highest possible, it will boost your dragonmarks. You can have one item to boost positive spell power or craft items with alchemical power clicky

Gauntlets of purple dragon - boosts your healing +30%. At epic levels, your healing is less effective, so try to get this item as soon as you reach epic level.

Craft Ring of persuasion to gain +3 to UMD and +3 Diplomacy

Boost SPs (Power, Wizardy, Archmagi items).
    Heavy fortification, Deathblock, spell focus items, avoid arcane failure, wear only robes or outfits. On other side, inherent spells are not subject of arcane failure! so you can benefit from light armor sometime.

Result: You will forget how to buy hireling contracts. Most of heroic quests can be soloed on normal or on hard. In parties, your life no longer depend on healer's reaction (healer will first heal tank-meles, casters are lower at his priority list). After you are hit for alot HPs, you will able heal self faster then any healer including hireling.
    Last edited by Wanesa; 04-11-2013 at 06:39 AM.

Community Member

I see you're using PDK gaunts. Is this guide for F2P or not?

+6 items are wholly unnecessary at high lvls. +7 items are sold for nothing(can find them in Eveningstar vendors for 12k or less, probably less in AH if people even post them), +8 items are more expensive, but even those reach very low amounts. +8 cha goggles for around 20k at times, etc.

There are multiple +7 items at the commendation vendors.

The new eGH staves, Ingots, are selling for dirt cheap in the AH, even the epic elite ones are pretty cheap(though maybe not for f2p).

One-handed caster weapons shouldn't be discounted either. Is that because they're more expensive or is it because you think being non-proficient with them means you don't get their bonuses somehow?

20% heal amp bracers with a trash mod sell very cheaply too.

With the new BTCoE items, there are EN and even EH items that are very high quality compared to random gen loot that goes for very cheap on AH or person2person.

Personally, I don't think a csw clicky is worth 3 feats(-2 dmarks, +1 human feat) and heal amp. Cure wands and Heal scrolling is more than suitable for heroic and epic normal/hard, just keep that umd and cha up. Keep displacement up, and scrounge for stoneskin wands.

EDIT:
    And you really don't need a 25% exc fort item on en/eh.

EDIT:
    For lvl20, augmented items make for great equipment at that level. Something like random gen Tough(toughness) Cloak with trash mod and colorless slot(for +6 stat) or health +6 belt with trash mod and yellow slot(for 150 sp, deathblock, or +6 stat) would be pretty easy to get.
    Last edited by HalfORCastrator; 04-11-2013 at 11:57 AM.
    ME BARB, ME SMA-ok I stand here with pretty blue lines around me. ok I take damage. ok bye.

Quote Originally Posted by HalfORCastrator View Post
    I see you're using PDK gaunts. Is this guide for F2P or not?
    I have started F2P, but F2P practically ends at lvl 12. So everybody should buy adventure packs soon or later. Everybody need Shroud for example :-) I don't like farm-runs for favor/xps

+6 items are wholly unnecessary at high lvls. +7 items are sold for nothing(can find them in Eveningstar vendors for 12k or less, probably less in AH if people even post them), +8 items are more expensive, but even those reach very low amounts. +8 cha goggles for around 20k at times, etc.
    I am checking these vendors everyday. Not every good item may match to current gear combination currently I have or I am wearing. I have two or three sets of items and using them depend on a situation or quest.

There are multiple +7 items at the commendation vendors.
    Not all these gears i can wear.

Personally, I don't think a csw clicky is worth 3 feats(-2 dmarks, +1 human feat) and heal amp. Cure wands and Heal scrolling is more than suitable for heroic and epic normal/hard, just keep that umd and cha up. Keep displacement up, and scrounge for stoneskin wands.
    My first start in DDO was ordinary Sorcerer (Wanesa on Gallanda). Later I have found, that healing using wands is not sufficient. Wands need higher UMD (With tomes, high CHA, high UMD skill and UMD gear) i still have a small failure on cure critical wand and about 60% success on Raise Death. Heal scroll? Cure Critical gives you about 30HP avg, with wand mastery it can be 50HP. My CSW dragonmark gives me 80-100HP or 110-130HP with healing amp. That because you can apply Maximize feat on DM and wear potency/devotion gear for positive spell power. (80 potency + 150 maximize + 30% amp. = 102-167HPs)

Which feats I have sacrificed?
    - Extend - on highter levels is useless
    - Quicken - yeah, it can be useful for wizard
    - Field of personality - Ack., it can be handy.
    - Spell Focus - gear can give you some spell focus. ED helps too. Other can be overcome by energy drain spell.
    - Spell Penetration - yes! but ED can help you with SpelPen
    I don't feel suffering without these feats :-)

EDIT:
    And you really don't need a 25% exc fort item on en/eh.
    Yeah! I can have up to 35%. Critical hit can be deadly for sorc.

Thelanis: Shewind the Airbender (Sorc20/Epic5 -> Bard20/Epic8 -> Rog20/Epic8/Epic2 -> Harper_FvS20/Epic4 -> Art19), Azaxe (Rog18/Wiz2 -> Sorc20/Epic6)

My thoughts while reading your post,

Abilities:

You need more strength , with 7 strength you wont be able to loot from chests at some point. Whenever a monster casts enfeeblement things will be difficult.

Less intelligence , your defence is not diplomacy but haste,jump,displacement ,stoneskin and your dps.

Max your charisma you need the DC for your spells to land. It sucks to cast a spell and see evade over the monsters head.

Feats.

Empower + Maximize are essential for a sorcerer.
    I understand that you need spell penetration for energy drain and ottos irresistible spell to land, but still you have to kill them somehow. Like I said earlier dps is one of your defences as a sorcerer.

Empower +Maximize are the first you will take,then everything else. Cure pots are good till level 12 at least.

Why not take the third dragonmark? It is the only one that gives you decent healing. If you don't take the third you will be better not taking any at all and just get your abilities high and use silver flame pots.

Why empower, when i have maximize? Can they stack?

I cast using maximized inherent spell ability which doesn't cost any additional SP. Lightning bolt can hit for 1000HPs

Heal can't be empowered or maximized and i am not sure, whether positive spell power affects it.

(and i won Bottomless flask of rum tier 10)

Edit:

Not taking third dragonmark, because i need
    - Spell Focus - required
    - Toughness - practically required
    - Heighten - required for dc casting
    - Spell Pen - required
    - Maximize - required to power DMs and inherent spells
    (5 feats + 2 DM = 7 feats available till LVL 20)

CSW gives enough healing for sorcerer with avg 400HP. I can cast it three times to full heal. I have six dragonmark usage for CSW.

There will be probably one feat for DMs in new enhancement system :-)
    Last edited by Wanesa; 04-15-2013 at 11:38 AM.

Thelanis: Shewind the Airbender (Sorc20/Epic5 -> Bard20/Epic8 -> Rog20/Epic8/Epic2 -> Harper_FvS20/Epic4 -> Art19), Azaxe (Rog18/Wiz2 -> Sorc20/Epic6)

Quote Originally Posted by Wanesa View Post
    Why empower, when i have maximize? Can they stack?
    They do stack.

- Spell Pen - required
    Spells that require spell penetration are spells that need you to have a good DC for them to land.

Exception to this is casting Ottos irresistible dance or energy drain or enervation and then the spell.

I am just saying to remove spell penetration feats

You will kill mobs with spells that dont require spell penetration and most evocation spells dont.
    Chain lighting ,lighting boldt ,prismatic spray and sprismatic ray etc

Casting energy drain ,mob saves cause you have no past lives,recasting energy drain then casting finger of death mob saves ,recasting energy drain or finger etc is no fun ..

I would be fine with spell penetration feats if you had wizard and or favored soul past lives. This way you would only worry about failing the DC checks .

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wanesa
    I am checking these vendors everyday. Not every good item may match to current gear combination currently I have or I am wearing. I have two or three sets of items and using them depend on a situation or quest.

Not all these gears i can wear.

My first start in DDO was ordinary Sorcerer (Wanesa on Gallanda). Later I have found, that healing using wands is not sufficient. Wands need higher UMD (With tomes, high CHA, high UMD skill and UMD gear) i still have a small failure on cure critical wand and about 60% success on Raise Death. Heal scroll? Cure Critical gives you about 30HP avg, with wand mastery it can be 50HP. My CSW dragonmark gives me 80-100HP or 110-130HP with healing amp. That because you can apply Maximize feat on DM and wear potency/devotion gear for positive spell power. (80 potency + 150 maximize + 30% amp. = 102-167HPs)

Which feats I have sacrificed?
    - Extend - on highter levels is useless
    - Quicken - yeah, it can be useful for wizard
    - Field of personality - Ack., it can be handy.
    - Spell Focus - gear can give you some spell focus. ED helps too. Other can be overcome by energy drain spell.
    - Spell Penetration - yes! but ED can help you with SpelPen
    I don't feel suffering without these feats :-)

Yeah! I can have up to 35%. Critical hit can be deadly for sorc.
    gear suggestion:
    helm: PDK helm
    goggles: +8 cha goggles
    necklace: EN Iron Beads
    trinket: Voice of the Master
    cloak: Cloak of Invisibility (from Tempest Spine, green slot with heavy fort) / EN Ghost-waking Cloak
    armor: Spidersilk (+3 ins cha)
    belt: random gen Belt with greater false life (colorless slot with +1exc con)
    bracers: 20% heal amp random gen bracers
    gloves: PDK gloves
    ring1: crafted +2 evocation Ring (colorless slot with +1exc cha)
    ring2: crafted +2 conjuration ring (yellow slot with deathblock)
    boots: random gen +15 jump Boots with/out ffall / EN Treads of Falling Shadow
    wpn: glaciation/acid quarterstaff / ingot staves / element+lore 1-handers

None of this stuff is expensive at all or hard to farm. The most expensive item is probably Iron Beads(which shouldn't run you more than 100k, probably less) and the Deathblock augment(which can be replaced with Death Visor clickies).

Do a ransack of Don't Drink the Water, preferably with friends, and you should get a green scale. That should be enough for almost everything you can buy, then do the minimal grinding for the rest. All this gear is ml23(goggles is ml24) or lower.

cha: 18base+6lvls+3tome+4enhs+8item+3ins+1exc= 43+1ship+2yugo =46
    +more from better tome, ship buff, destinies, etc

umd: 11base+5epic+4gh+1luck+18chabonus=39 (enough for heal scrolls)
    +1 spider mask for skills, +6 cha skills from pos 2 green steel

heal amp:
    halfling: 1.1ship *1.2item *1.3item = 1.71
    human: 1.1ship *1.1human *1.1human *1.2item *1.3item = 2.07

heal scroll 110*1.45wand/scroll mastery=159*2.07human=329
    heal scroll 110*1.45wand/scroll mastery=159*1.71halfling=271

As far as feats: More Toughnesses, Spell Focuses, and Mental Toughnesses would all be better.

And again, you don't need the extra fort. I have never, ever, ever had a problem with getting critted in epic normal or epic hard. (I don't remember being critted ever. It's either happened to me and not been an issue or hasn't happened to me) You absolutely do not need the extra fort.

Heal can't be empowered or maximized and i am not sure, whether positive spell power affects it.

(and i won Bottomless flask of rum tier 10)

CSW gives enough healing for sorcerer with avg 400HP. I can cast it three times to full heal. I have six dragonmark usage for CSW.
    Bottomless Flask is horrible, not worth the grind and not worth the hotbar slot. Didn't even work for it for my barbarian. Most it's useful for, even for my barbarian, is to replenish hp between fights.

You only have 400hp with toughness?

16con+3tome+7item+2ins+1exc+1ship=30

hp: 20heroic +10argo +30gfl +20toughnessitem +27toughnessfeat +20toughnessenhs +250conbonus +80sorc= 457 +45gs =502 edit: +50epic = 552

Can get more with better tome/ship buff/higher base con/going human, etc.
    ME BARB, ME SMA-ok I stand here with pretty blue lines around me. ok I take damage. ok bye.