Thread: Cleric tank?

Default Cleric tank?

Anyone ever made or seen a tank built for cleric?

I have a dwarf cleric (lvl22 atm) full healer. I would love to make him more tank worthy. Is it possible? Any suggestions welcome.

Community Member

Try the Unyielding Sentinel as your main destiny. There are several things in that tree to increase your HP, AC, and PRR. Once you have that, work your way around the destinies and twist in some of the healing items from other trees. Another good option is to drop two levels of cleric and pick up two levels of fighter so you can pick up shield mastery and improved shield mastery as additional fighter feats, increasing the value of your shields.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

There are several challenges to making a cleric (or any other caster) tank:

• Feat shortage: finding the right balance between metamagics & melee / tanking feats is hard, esp. w/classes that don't get bonus feats
    • The tanking bonuses from SD & DoS are so good that it's hard to give them up if you intend to be a "real" tank
    • MADness: tanks want good STR & CON, casters want decent caster stat(s); again, finding the right balance is hard

When the Enhancement overhaul finally comes along, I'm looking forward to making some Dwarven Defender / divine caster tank builds. Until then, I think they're just a sub-optimal flavor build.
    Revisiting the Classics: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard
    Other build threads: Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

Community Member

Clerics can be very survivable, especially in Unyielding Sentinel. However, can they generate enough hate to grab aggro from players in offensive destinies?

Thx for advice. First thing I'm gonna try leveling Unyielding Sentinel.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    There are several challenges to making a cleric (or any other caster) tank:

• Feat shortage: finding the right balance between metamagics & melee / tanking feats is hard, esp. w/classes that don't get bonus feats
    • The tanking bonuses from SD & DoS are so good that it's hard to give them up if you intend to be a "real" tank
    • MADness: tanks want good STR & CON, casters want decent caster stat(s); again, finding the right balance is hard

When the Enhancement overhaul finally comes along, I'm looking forward to making some Dwarven Defender / divine caster tank builds. Until then, I think they're just a sub-optimal flavor build.
    Who was the cleric from a while back with the huge hp? Moman or momat or something, Khyber player I think.

Anyway, dumping DC's and just using dots could work, could melee, tank and still heal

Or max con & wis, take 1ftr & 1 monk level (free tower shield prof + a martial feat like shield mastery & monk bonus feat for toughness; saves 7 'normal' feats for caster ones).

Best PRR is heavy armour so no evasion anyway, tower shield use without penalty (not that it matters) and shield mastery, access to Lv 9 spells and retain 18 cleric for future proofing, can go centred and water stance to boost dc's if needed.

Just my 2cp