Community Member

Post Punishment for re-entering quests !!

When it comes down to it ANYTHING that Turbine allows you to do and has even taken the time to code things that allow it to happen is not cheating. Case in point you can leave dungeons whenever you want and come back in, and Turbine has coded and implemented a loss of xp for you doing so.

The problem is who cares on a max xp/destiny toon who can't even get xp anymore.

People who do this are generally farming loot. Running epic quests full on nuking in every single encounter knowing they can just refill every few minutes (then many have the nerve to cry that things are to easy).

My idea.

To actually discourage players from recalling in quests to make them easier Turbine should drop the loot table by 1 level or so each time you reenter a quest in general, also I think that there should be absolutely no reentering a quest when ran on epic elite.

Cheating or not you have to admit that recalling/reentering the quest over and over again sure feels like cheating. Those shrines were put there so that you would be topped off entering the quest as you had to potentially fight your way to the entrance. Not so you could recall because you didn't bother to manage your spell points/clickys/action boost etc. or just blew through them all because you knew you could just go get them back every few minutes.

I'm sure some caster will counter argue that they can just chug as many mana pots that they want etc, well at least you would have had to make a conscious decision on resources available and planned accordingly, or support our game financially by buying some from the ddo store :P

Other ideas? Comments?

I don't think this is a good idea.

Turbine's challenge is keeping those people interested in playing DDO after they've already won. If they're having fun that way, who cares? I wouldn't enjoy it, but if they do, *shrug* It's not like they haven't already experienced the content in a more challenging way.

Epics used to not allow re-entering. They probably had a good reason to remove it.
    olganon.org - Remember to play in moderation.
    olganon.org - A videogame shouldn't be your life.

Community Member

Like I said last time this came up:

A. I've never seen it happen.
    B. If you don't like it, dont' do it.
    C. Stop crying about other people doing it. If you don't like others doing it, stop grouping with them.

I think that reentries while you are xp'ing are fine as is. Your goal is to get xp and you lose some of that xp potential by reentering. As the OP suggests, this penalty means nothing if your goal is not xp related such as endgame. A certain amount of game balance gets tossed out the window when you can recall infinite times in order to refill SP, clickies, etc.

Many times the simple fact that it takes time to recall, shrine up and run back is deterrent enough. However quest design makes that moot when they have a shrine positioned directly outside the quest entrance. We are limited to one use per shrine on elite, but if that shrine is right outside the door, you can shrine every 5 minutes. It's taking a game limitation and saying it's no longer an actual limitation.

There are a number of incentives that could be put into place to make players want to stay in the instance. Of course you could use the very blunt "cannot reenter at all" penalty. You could give a penalty to loot level but that wouldn't matter much if people were only there for named loot. You could eliminate all chance for named loot if you reenter, but many would probably find that very punishing, especially to blue bars that are used to recalling for SP.

I think if I were to apply a penalty to reentry I'd go with removal of ship buffs upon reentry (even if you rebuff before coming back in) and a stacking -2 to all ability scores. Many players would effectively be down 4 points in each ability after the first reentry and suffer another -2 for each additional reentry. I'd say that anything under elite can stay as is, but for elite quests, there should be a stiffer penalty for reentry.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by danzig138 View Post
    Like I said last time this came up:

A. I've never seen it happen.
    B. If you don't like it, dont' do it.
    C. Stop crying about other people doing it. If you don't like others doing it, stop grouping with them.
    If you've never seen it happen then you don't play much endgame and have nothing to add here mkay bye.

The reason I even brought this up was reading through some other posts were people were complaining about how the quests were too easy for them and then mentioning how they would recall numerous times to refill mana and combat clickys etc.

Back in the day we couldn't reenter epic quests and I know someone people will want to burn this comment with fire but the average player skill in epics back then was far superior, people knew how to play their toons, came to quests properly prepared with gear and knowledge, and learned how to ration their sp/abilities properly.

The option of varied levels of epics is nice as it lets more of the community enjoy them, but allowing all this easy button nonsense especially the infinite shrining and reentering of quests isn't helping the community become better players that's for sure.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by jandhaer View Post
    Comments?
    You really want the turbine dev-lite team to mess with the loot tables like that?

I can see abbot 20th's happening everywheres if your idea comes to pass........
    boo-tai jung-tzahng-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    We love fansites!
    <*cough*B.S.*cough*>
    Quote Originally Posted by SqueakofDoom View Post
    There will be bugs!

Wouldn't the reduction in loot/minute be enough of a punishment for reentry? It goes down quite significantly.
    That which does not kill you gives you experience points.

(Fighter->Fighter->Fighter->Monk->Monk->Barbarian->Paladin->Ranger)

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by jandhaer View Post
    If you've never seen it happen then you don't play much endgame and have nothing to add here mkay bye.
    BS. I play constant EE endgame with my guildies, and I've only ever seen it happen once in all those quests, and that was the pug EE citw. He does have something to add here, and his experience is valid. Assuming he doesn't play endgame because he plays with good people who don't need to do this behavior you speak of is not only rude, it weakens your position in the conversation.

You're idea isn't good. You're forcing YOUR playstyle on others. If people want to do it the long way constantly going out to refill, more power to them. It's THEIR game experience. If they want to take forever doing a quest, more power to them. If people like the ones I run with don't, more power to us. The forum is awash with people complaining about the new enhancement line taking away freedom of choices, let's take a hint from that. Players SHOULD have the freedom to play the game how they like.

I completely disagree that it's Turbines job to further penalize those who need to exit and reenter a quest. The loss of the bonus (and it is a bonus to doing it in one go, let us not forget, not an actual penalty) is enough. How a lot of the people who do need to do quests like this become like the people I run with is the practice, learning, and gear they get while doing this. Taking that away from them is counterproductive to a healthy end game population.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!