Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Barbarian with splash of druid.

Thinking of going Barbarian for next life. I want the past life feat from Barb. I saw a Barb druid splash once a while back who kicked butt! I have a lot of experience with melee classes, but none with druid.

How many levels of druid could/should I safely take with Barb before gimping it?

Where should I allocate my abilities?

Would I be able to self heal better than a pure melee class?

Ty in advance!

I'm pretty sure you can't cast any spells when raged. If you plan to be in animal form, most of the special attacks that animal form druids get are classified as spells and you won't be able to use them when raged. The druid healing spells won't work either. You might consider using fighter with druid though.

Quote Originally Posted by skaught78 View Post
    How many levels of druid could/should I safely take with Barb before gimping it?
    My first thought would be none, but I do wonder if taking a single level to gain access to Ram's Might would be worthwhile.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FestusHood View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can't cast any spells when raged. If you plan to be in animal form, most of the special attacks that animal form druids get are classified as spells and you won't be able to use them when raged. The druid healing spells won't work either. You might consider using fighter with druid though.
    Yeah I learned the hard way that my bear can't ROAR whilst raged my dreams of playing a Bearbarian were dashed because of that bug...maybe I should bug report it again

Also the "bug" where Bear form is completely overshadowed by Wolf Form doesn't help
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 04-09-2013 at 09:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

As mentioned, Rage cancels out spellcasting; this includes animal-form abilities and also Reaving Roar & Fatal Harrier (or so I've read). A druid splash gets you Ram's Might + Shillelagh (if you happen to use staves or greatclubs); I suspect the barb capstone is worth more DPS in epics, but if this is just for TRing, then effectively you won't go more than barb 18 / druid 1; unless you do something more heavily-MCed, like druid 7 / barb 11, largely for the extra buffs.

If you are just looking at barbarian in order to gain the past life feat -- meaning that you have no real intention of playing it on epic content -- you can safely splash from 2 to 8 levels of druid onto the character.

What others have said about not casting spells while raged is true. However, you can cast spells before you rage, including those in animal form. It is all a matter of timing. You can also drink potions while raged. If you carry a stack of cure potions you can chug a few and then drop rage and then use wands or spells as needed.

However, if you are just looking for the past life feat then I'm not sure that this multiclass is really the best option. What I am running is a half-elf with a ranger dilettante. That lets me stay pure barbarian while opening the ranger's wand use for self healing after fights. You can do something similar with 13 DEX (ranger), 13 WIS (cleric) or 13 CHA (paladin, favored soul).

I guess the real question would be, what is your real motive? If it is just to get thru the barbarian life and TR then I would stay pure, blow thru the heroic content, and be done with it. OTOH, if you want a bit more fun and challenge then you can go with druid as a splash and anything from 2 to 8 levels of splash won't hurt you.

Note that in theory you can go 10/10 but I can't see any real advantage there -- unless you want to play like a druid at 10 druid/8 barbarian until you bank L20. Then you can take the last 2 levels as barbarian and TR with the barbarian past life.

Community Member

For barb pl i would 9 druid then 2 fighter then 9 barb.
    Dont rage and either use staffs / clubs or use wolf form. (although wolf with doublestrike will be better but staffs are nice for low lvl especially for all the undeads)
    Reaving Roar will carry you to 20 and selfheal is not great but situationally great.
    I would still use a cleric hire most of the time but being able to throw a maximized cure when your cleric is to slow (as always) will help a lot.

You could also use monk instead of fighter, stunning blow is great
    Last edited by Daemoneyes; 04-09-2013 at 10:06 AM.
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

@Therigar: The issue is not buffs the issue is bear/wolf abilities are bugged and are considered spells thus raging would actually decrease your DPS for the duration due to the big [W] Bonuses those abilities get not to mention the secondary effects.

@Daemon Eyes: If your not going to rage why are you a Barbarian...go Fighter instead.
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    @Therigar: The issue is not buffs the issue is bear/wolf abilities are bugged and are considered spells thus raging would actually decrease your DPS for the duration due to the big [W] Bonuses those abilities get not to mention the secondary effects.

@Daemon Eyes: If your not going to rage why are you a Barbarian...go Fighter instead.
    first sentence of my post:
    for barb pl...

I find barb pure more then underwhelming and this way you get the pl and have a solid build while leveling.

And edit for my post, forgot that barb cant be lawful so ignore the comment about monk ^^

Default My Barb Life....I just never raged.

I ran a UMD, TWF, Full Trapper Build 2Rogue/6Ranger/12Barb and Raging would have been constantly problematic.

You might consider squeezing as much survivability out of Barb via AP.

If you are *just* getting PL and TRing at 20 then you could get a lot out of

9Druid/11Barb
    Pretty good healing and buffs. Stats- Str/Con, Wis, Dex, Int, Cha
    Helf for Dille, Human for Feat or Horc for RAWR

Toughness,
    PA,
    Cleave,
    Great Cleave,
    IC: Main Weapon of Choice
    Empower Healing
    Feat of Choice
    Lightning Reflexes if Human

or a TWF Version 2Rogue/7Druid/11Barb. Str, Con/Dex, Wis, Int, Cha
    Toughness
    PA
    TWF
    ITWF
    GTWF
    Empower Healing

Just a couple rough ideas assuming you have enough build experience to fill in the blanks.
    I am often cynical and say mean things. It's a WAI "Feature".

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Feralthyrtiaq View Post
    I ran a UMD, TWF, Full Trapper Build 2Rogue/6Ranger/12Barb and Raging would have been constantly problematic.

You might consider squeezing as much survivability out of Barb via AP.

If you are *just* getting PL and TRing at 20 then you could get a lot out of

9Druid/11Barb
    Pretty good healing and buffs. Stats- Str/Con, Wis, Dex, Int, Cha
    Helf for Dille, Human for Feat or Horc for RAWR

11 barb gives you nothing, 2fighter instead give you tactic dc and 2feats +1str
    also dwarf seems pretty good for DC (stunning blow / trip) & saves also DA prof doesnt hurt for free but yea not much good DA
    WF would be probably better for DC & PA boni

Toughness,
    PA,
    Cleave,
    Great Cleave,
    Empower Healing
    Feat of Choice
    Lightning Reflexes if Human

or a TWF Version 2Rogue/7Druid/11Barb. Str, Con/Dex, Wis, Int, Cha
    Toughness
    PA
    TWF
    ITWF
    GTWF
    Empower Healing

Just a couple rough ideas assuming you have enough build experience to fill in the blanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    Considering that it is very likely the depth of the druid splash will give only 1 animal form, possibly no animal form, the issue is really moot IMO.

In another thread I observed that I've found all druid animal forms to be underwhelming with regards to damage. OP is probably better served not using them at all. The only reason to take druid on a build that is just running for the past life icon is for the buffs.

Worry about impact on animal form and spell effects is, IMO, the wrong way to think about the build. IMO using animal form on the build would be a waste of effort. Take the compulsory animal form feat and ignore it almost completely would be my advice.

Only place I can see any utility is if wolf gives bonuses to reflex saves for negotiating heroic elite traps.

As I said to start with, if running just for the past life and with no thoughts of running epic content, splash 2-8 levels (theoretically even as much as 10 levels). But, FWIW, just ignore that you can shape shift to animal form(s).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Therigar View Post
    Considering that it is very likely the depth of the druid splash will give only 1 animal form, possibly no animal form, the issue is really moot IMO.

In another thread I observed that I've found all druid animal forms to be underwhelming with regards to damage. OP is probably better served not using them at all. The only reason to take druid on a build that is just running for the past life icon is for the buffs.

Worry about impact on animal form and spell effects is, IMO, the wrong way to think about the build. IMO using animal form on the build would be a waste of effort. Take the compulsory animal form feat and ignore it almost completely would be my advice.

Only place I can see any utility is if wolf gives bonuses to reflex saves for negotiating heroic elite traps.

As I said to start with, if running just for the past life and with no thoughts of running epic content, splash 2-8 levels (theoretically even as much as 10 levels). But, FWIW, just ignore that you can shape shift to animal form(s).
    cleave/gr.cleave are not much slower, if they are at all slower (i get almost no delay for them in wolf, even in bear its not much slower but bear overall sucks)
    only problem with cl/gr.cl is that doublestrike does not work with them.

Also if you have pl monk then the damage of winterwolf is really good and crit profil is very nice to.
    And the biggest plus is that you can even use a woodenclub with shillagh

Default 11 Barb...

Quote Originally Posted by Daemoneyes View Post
    Gives you the Peace of Mind knowing that you will actually get Barbarian as PL without worrying about Alphabetically ordered Class names and 2/9/9 or w/e other kind of builds.

Stunning Blow works best when Mega-Ultra Raged as a Barb which works counter-productively with Druid Spell Casting and pretty much anything else you want to do in the game besides drink Potions.

Not sure if OP planned on doing any Epics.

But *just* for leveling to get Barb PL.

and Given that the OP mentioned Druid.

9 Druid and 11 Barb seems a good balance for leveling a past life. Not for much else except some EN/EH with an understanding group.

On a Monk that can achieve good Stunning Fist DCs for Heroic Content and a Barbarian that intends to RAGE up to the strength for Stunning Blow to land I can understand Dwarf for DCs and such.

For Heroic Content a few more Druid Levels can't hurt to bolster what you give up by not being pure Barb or 2Ftr/18Barb with a drinking problem that only stacks to 10, slows you down and gimps your saves and is not needed for much of Heroic content.

Yeah....Of course there are much better build ideas out there building more on Class Strengths and Tactics but for just leveling a PL in Heroic Content....*almost* "anything" can work.
    I am often cynical and say mean things. It's a WAI "Feature".

Community Member

Common Druid splashes are 2, 4, and 8. 2 gives you one animal form, 4 gives the other, and 8 gives you the first Magical Beast form. No experience with barbs, though. I do know that splashing 2 fighter onto a Druid base and speccing for Doublestrike makes an awesome melee druid, though.

Community Member

Lots of good tips so far! TY all.

So it sounds like going animal form is not recommended. So maybe druid isn't the best splash idea.

My main problem with Melee classes, and what I'm tired of, is poor self healing.

So what would any or all of you recommend to splash or do to play a Barb, (which will be TRing at 20) that can effectively self heal. At least better than slamming down pots...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin-ator View Post
    Common Druid splashes are 2, 4, and 8. 2 gives you one animal form, 4 gives the other, and 8 gives you the first Magical Beast form. No experience with barbs, though. I do know that splashing 2 fighter onto a Druid base and speccing for Doublestrike makes an awesome melee druid, though.
    uh, no
    common splash would be 1, 7, or 9
    1 for buffs
    7 for buffs and reaving roar
    9 for buffs and reaving roar and magical beat (winterwolf) and animal form doublestrike feats.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

The main problem w/self-healing on barbs is Rage blocks most of the usual self-healing options. But the usual chorus of "just use Silver Flame pots!" is less than satisfying, IMHO: partly because of how long it is before you can get SF pots, partly because of the stat penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by skaught78 View Post
    Lots of good tips so far! TY all.

So it sounds like going animal form is not recommended. So maybe druid isn't the best splash idea.

My main problem with Melee classes, and what I'm tired of, is poor self healing.

So what would any or all of you recommend to splash or do to play a Barb, (which will be TRing at 20) that can effectively self heal. At least better than slamming down pots...
    I have done something close to a dozen barb PLs across different characters. My current barb PL build is 9 barb/9 fighter/2 rogue, rog/barb/rog/9 ftr/8 barb, using heal scrolls and only raging when there's a healer in the group. I might try druid next time in place of fighter as I still have a couple barb lives to do.

If you don't mind spending for a +5 heart, you could do the true TR junkie 15 sorc / 5 barb thing.
    Last edited by cdr; 04-09-2013 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemoneyes View Post
    uh, no
    common splash would be 1, 7, or 9
    1 for buffs
    7 for buffs and reaving roar
    9 for buffs and reaving roar and magical beat (winterwolf) and animal form doublestrike feats.
    So 1,2,7,8 & 9

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast