Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Feralthyrtiaq View Post
    Gives you the Peace of Mind knowing that you will actually get Barbarian as PL without worrying about Alphabetically ordered Class names and 2/9/9 or w/e other kind of builds.

Stunning Blow works best when Mega-Ultra Raged as a Barb which works counter-productively with Druid Spell Casting and pretty much anything else you want to do in the game besides drink Potions.

Not sure if OP planned on doing any Epics.

But *just* for leveling to get Barb PL.

and Given that the OP mentioned Druid.

9 Druid and 11 Barb seems a good balance for leveling a past life. Not for much else except some EN/EH with an understanding group.

On a Monk that can achieve good Stunning Fist DCs for Heroic Content and a Barbarian that intends to RAGE up to the strength for Stunning Blow to land I can understand Dwarf for DCs and such.

For Heroic Content a few more Druid Levels can't hurt to bolster what you give up by not being pure Barb or 2Ftr/18Barb with a drinking problem that only stacks to 10, slows you down and gimps your saves and is not needed for much of Heroic content.

Yeah....Of course there are much better build ideas out there building more on Class Strengths and Tactics but for just leveling a PL in Heroic Content....*almost* "anything" can work.
    dont see the problem, barb is always first in the pl order.

also stunning blow dc is not hard to reach in animal form because you can equip a stunning weapon in offhand.
    although i prefer vertigo of seeker shield (till 12) if the build is not stunning fist because blow is just to slow.
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daemoneyes View Post
    dont see the problem, barb is always first in the pl order.

also stunning blow dc is not hard to reach in animal form because you can equip a stunning weapon in offhand.
    although i prefer vertigo of seeker shield (till 12) if the build is not stunning fist because blow is just to slow.
    Well the order is kind of stupid because it's goes Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, Fighter, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Sorc, Wiz (than KMIIW) FvS, Monk, Artificer, Druid
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    So 1,2,7,8 & 9
    never seen a build use 2 or 8
    2 gives you first form which is weak, so fluff at best
    8 gives you second form but leaves out 18% doublestrike, so you might as well not use animal form at all.

Community Member

Well the order is kind of stupid because it's goes Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, Fighter, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Sorc, Wiz (than KMIIW) FvS, Monk, Artificer, Druid
    Well its in order of implementation and its better this way then if you would have to just take 1lvl more of the pl class you want.
    Also its not hard to find out, wiki ftw

Quote Originally Posted by skaught78 View Post
    Lots of good tips so far! TY all.

So it sounds like going animal form is not recommended. So maybe druid isn't the best splash idea.

My main problem with Melee classes, and what I'm tired of, is poor self healing.

So what would any or all of you recommend to splash or do to play a Barb, (which will be TRing at 20) that can effectively self heal. At least better than slamming down pots...
    I'll repeat, half-elf with any of the healing class dilettantes. If you really want decent healing ability go with 13 WIS and take cleric dilly. Then spend the AP for the cleric dilly enhancements. You'll be ~95% heal scrolls and have all wand usage.

Since you can't cast spells while raged all self healing is going to come after rage anyway. And, because you are planning on L20 and TR that will be enough for all the heroic content you'll do.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    The main problem w/self-healing on barbs is Rage blocks most of the usual self-healing options. But the usual chorus of "just use Silver Flame pots!" is less than satisfying, IMHO: partly because of how long it is before you can get SF pots, partly because of the stat penalty.
    yepp stat penalty is way to sever,
    lesser flame pots should only debuff 5 and they should be access-able sooner

also it can be very long for player that do not own all content or do not run everything on elite.

Alot of the people who are saying that druids animal form isn't worth taking, probably haven't played a druid up to level 9.

With 9 druid levels, you can have 18% double strike, reaving roar, fom, deathblock, cure critical wounds.

A 9/2/9 splash probably isn't your best bet for epic elites But it's a very strong contender for HE's. The easiest (non +5 heart) barb lives I've done are:

Half elf - monk dilly
    1rogue > 1barb > 9druid > 1rogue > 8 barb

Pick up toughness, power attack, cleave, great cleave > 3* natural fighting feats

Look at your unavailable enhancements, you want to pick up reaving roar as soon as possible, It's amazing aoe dps when leveling in heroic content. Try to sustain maximum healing amp where possible.

Ignore barb rage once cure pots aren't enough to sustain your self healing requirements, just be sure to cast your buffs then rage in the lower levels.

Once you get to level 17 Start using Frenzy (not rage) constantly and you'll be on your way to an easy path to level 20.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Therigar View Post
    I'll repeat, half-elf with any of the healing class dilettantes. If you really want decent healing ability go with 13 WIS and take cleric dilly. Then spend the AP for the cleric dilly enhancements. You'll be ~95% heal scrolls and have all wand usage.

Since you can't cast spells while raged all self healing is going to come after rage anyway. And, because you are planning on L20 and TR that will be enough for all the heroic content you'll do.
    Sounds like a solid build. Would I have to put points in UMD?

With a Cleric Dilly you actually count as a Cleric of a certain level, so UMD serves no purpose except of maybe overcoming race restrictions for weapons, but it won't stack with the % from being a native caster.
    * We have collectable bags, hell even hireling folders, but can I have that 6-pack for my potions please?
    * Having already a past life on the dieng EU servers, I rerolled here and started from scratch as I like the game and the community, so lets see what awaits me here

The whole point of cleric dilly is not to use UMD. If you have UMD, cleric dilly is pointless.

I don't like cleric dilly. It makes you start with 13 wis, which is generally a dump stat for a melee TR. You are spending a feat on it - taking it instead of a more useful dilly or human feat - and also a pile of enhancement points. And it is not difficult to get the UMD for heal scrolls, at least by level 18.

For a pure TR build, I would recommend a 2 rogue/9 fighter/9 barb as I've done several times, or the 2 rogue/9 druid as described by fTdOmen, who generally knows what he's talking about. Or the 15 sorc with a heart.

Wisdom isn't a bad thing to put some points into for a Barbarian and cleric dilly doesnt make UMD useless you still want it to bypass alignment things and if you get to the point where you don't need cleric dilly somehow you can switch to a different dilly
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Default Personally

For one character's barbarian past life, I went druid2/barbarian18.

Whomever said that druid2 is almost useless is quite right--it's more about flavor and having a teensy SP pool for some healing and buffs very early on. It's also kind of fun being a Frenzied Animal.

If you truly intend to TR as soon as you hit 20, however, I would recommend getting access to Reaving Roar ASAP and never shapeshifting. It's very powerful up until about level 16.
    Character Compendium

Wisdom isn't a bad thing to put some points into for a Barbarian and cleric dilly doesnt make UMD useless you still want it to bypass alignment things and if you get to the point where you don't need cleric dilly somehow you can switch to a different dilly
    You're reading backwards. Cleric dilly is useless if you have enough UMD for heal scrolls.

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    You're reading backwards. Cleric dilly is useless if you have enough UMD for heal scrolls.
    Except UMD doesn't hit heal scroll levels until the higher levels with ample grinding for gear so it's pointless until than...in the mean time he can use Cleric Dilly than swap to a different one once UMD gets to a usable point

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12