Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    325

    Default Barbarian with splash of druid.

    Thinking of going Barbarian for next life. I want the past life feat from Barb. I saw a Barb druid splash once a while back who kicked butt! I have a lot of experience with melee classes, but none with druid.

    How many levels of druid could/should I safely take with Barb before gimping it?

    Where should I allocate my abilities?

    Would I be able to self heal better than a pure melee class?

    Ty in advance!

  2. #2
    Community Member FestusHood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    3,388

    Default

    I'm pretty sure you can't cast any spells when raged. If you plan to be in animal form, most of the special attacks that animal form druids get are classified as spells and you won't be able to use them when raged. The druid healing spells won't work either. You might consider using fighter with druid though.

  3. #3
    The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Canada,Ontario, GTA
    Posts
    6,863

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FestusHood View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can't cast any spells when raged. If you plan to be in animal form, most of the special attacks that animal form druids get are classified as spells and you won't be able to use them when raged. The druid healing spells won't work either. You might consider using fighter with druid though.
    Yeah I learned the hard way that my bear can't ROAR whilst raged my dreams of playing a Bearbarian were dashed because of that bug...maybe I should bug report it again

    Also the "bug" where Bear form is completely overshadowed by Wolf Form doesn't help
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 04-09-2013 at 10:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

  4. #4
    Community Member Ryiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skaught78 View Post
    How many levels of druid could/should I safely take with Barb before gimping it?
    My first thought would be none, but I do wonder if taking a single level to gain access to Ram's Might would be worthwhile.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

  5. #5
    Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    13,958

    Default

    As mentioned, Rage cancels out spellcasting; this includes animal-form abilities and also Reaving Roar & Fatal Harrier (or so I've read). A druid splash gets you Ram's Might + Shillelagh (if you happen to use staves or greatclubs); I suspect the barb capstone is worth more DPS in epics, but if this is just for TRing, then effectively you won't go more than barb 18 / druid 1; unless you do something more heavily-MCed, like druid 7 / barb 11, largely for the extra buffs.

  6. #6
    Community Member Therigar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,316

    Default

    If you are just looking at barbarian in order to gain the past life feat -- meaning that you have no real intention of playing it on epic content -- you can safely splash from 2 to 8 levels of druid onto the character.

    What others have said about not casting spells while raged is true. However, you can cast spells before you rage, including those in animal form. It is all a matter of timing. You can also drink potions while raged. If you carry a stack of cure potions you can chug a few and then drop rage and then use wands or spells as needed.

    However, if you are just looking for the past life feat then I'm not sure that this multiclass is really the best option. What I am running is a half-elf with a ranger dilettante. That lets me stay pure barbarian while opening the ranger's wand use for self healing after fights. You can do something similar with 13 DEX (ranger), 13 WIS (cleric) or 13 CHA (paladin, favored soul).

    I guess the real question would be, what is your real motive? If it is just to get thru the barbarian life and TR then I would stay pure, blow thru the heroic content, and be done with it. OTOH, if you want a bit more fun and challenge then you can go with druid as a splash and anything from 2 to 8 levels of splash won't hurt you.

    Note that in theory you can go 10/10 but I can't see any real advantage there -- unless you want to play like a druid at 10 druid/8 barbarian until you bank L20. Then you can take the last 2 levels as barbarian and TR with the barbarian past life.

  7. #7
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,104

    Default

    For barb pl i would 9 druid then 2 fighter then 9 barb.
    Dont rage and either use staffs / clubs or use wolf form. (although wolf with doublestrike will be better but staffs are nice for low lvl especially for all the undeads)
    Reaving Roar will carry you to 20 and selfheal is not great but situationally great.
    I would still use a cleric hire most of the time but being able to throw a maximized cure when your cleric is to slow (as always) will help a lot.

    You could also use monk instead of fighter, stunning blow is great
    Last edited by Daemoneyes; 04-09-2013 at 11:06 AM.
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

  8. #8
    The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Canada,Ontario, GTA
    Posts
    6,863

    Default

    @Therigar: The issue is not buffs the issue is bear/wolf abilities are bugged and are considered spells thus raging would actually decrease your DPS for the duration due to the big [W] Bonuses those abilities get not to mention the secondary effects.

    @Daemon Eyes: If your not going to rage why are you a Barbarian...go Fighter instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

  9. #9
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    @Therigar: The issue is not buffs the issue is bear/wolf abilities are bugged and are considered spells thus raging would actually decrease your DPS for the duration due to the big [W] Bonuses those abilities get not to mention the secondary effects.

    @Daemon Eyes: If your not going to rage why are you a Barbarian...go Fighter instead.
    first sentence of my post:
    for barb pl...

    I find barb pure more then underwhelming and this way you get the pl and have a solid build while leveling.

    And edit for my post, forgot that barb cant be lawful so ignore the comment about monk ^^
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

  10. #10
    Community Member Therigar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    @Therigar: The issue is not buffs the issue is bear/wolf abilities are bugged and are considered spells thus raging would actually decrease your DPS for the duration due to the big [W] Bonuses those abilities get not to mention the secondary effects.
    Considering that it is very likely the depth of the druid splash will give only 1 animal form, possibly no animal form, the issue is really moot IMO.

    In another thread I observed that I've found all druid animal forms to be underwhelming with regards to damage. OP is probably better served not using them at all. The only reason to take druid on a build that is just running for the past life icon is for the buffs.

    Worry about impact on animal form and spell effects is, IMO, the wrong way to think about the build. IMO using animal form on the build would be a waste of effort. Take the compulsory animal form feat and ignore it almost completely would be my advice.

    Only place I can see any utility is if wolf gives bonuses to reflex saves for negotiating heroic elite traps.

    As I said to start with, if running just for the past life and with no thoughts of running epic content, splash 2-8 levels (theoretically even as much as 10 levels). But, FWIW, just ignore that you can shape shift to animal form(s).

  11. #11
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Therigar View Post
    Considering that it is very likely the depth of the druid splash will give only 1 animal form, possibly no animal form, the issue is really moot IMO.

    In another thread I observed that I've found all druid animal forms to be underwhelming with regards to damage. OP is probably better served not using them at all. The only reason to take druid on a build that is just running for the past life icon is for the buffs.

    Worry about impact on animal form and spell effects is, IMO, the wrong way to think about the build. IMO using animal form on the build would be a waste of effort. Take the compulsory animal form feat and ignore it almost completely would be my advice.

    Only place I can see any utility is if wolf gives bonuses to reflex saves for negotiating heroic elite traps.

    As I said to start with, if running just for the past life and with no thoughts of running epic content, splash 2-8 levels (theoretically even as much as 10 levels). But, FWIW, just ignore that you can shape shift to animal form(s).
    cleave/gr.cleave are not much slower, if they are at all slower (i get almost no delay for them in wolf, even in bear its not much slower but bear overall sucks)
    only problem with cl/gr.cl is that doublestrike does not work with them.

    Also if you have pl monk then the damage of winterwolf is really good and crit profil is very nice to.
    And the biggest plus is that you can even use a woodenclub with shillagh
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

  12. #12
    Community Member Feralthyrtiaq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,385

    Default My Barb Life....I just never raged.

    I ran a UMD, TWF, Full Trapper Build 2Rogue/6Ranger/12Barb and Raging would have been constantly problematic.

    You might consider squeezing as much survivability out of Barb via AP.

    If you are *just* getting PL and TRing at 20 then you could get a lot out of

    9Druid/11Barb
    Pretty good healing and buffs. Stats- Str/Con, Wis, Dex, Int, Cha
    Helf for Dille, Human for Feat or Horc for RAWR

    Toughness,
    PA,
    Cleave,
    Great Cleave,
    IC: Main Weapon of Choice
    Empower Healing
    Feat of Choice
    Lightning Reflexes if Human

    or a TWF Version 2Rogue/7Druid/11Barb. Str, Con/Dex, Wis, Int, Cha
    Toughness
    PA
    TWF
    ITWF
    IC: Main Weapon of Choice
    GTWF
    Empower Healing

    Just a couple rough ideas assuming you have enough build experience to fill in the blanks.
    I am often cynical and say mean things. It's a WAI "Feature".

  13. #13
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Feralthyrtiaq View Post
    I ran a UMD, TWF, Full Trapper Build 2Rogue/6Ranger/12Barb and Raging would have been constantly problematic.

    You might consider squeezing as much survivability out of Barb via AP.

    If you are *just* getting PL and TRing at 20 then you could get a lot out of

    9Druid/11Barb
    Pretty good healing and buffs. Stats- Str/Con, Wis, Dex, Int, Cha
    Helf for Dille, Human for Feat or Horc for RAWR

    11 barb gives you nothing, 2fighter instead give you tactic dc and 2feats +1str
    also dwarf seems pretty good for DC (stunning blow / trip) & saves also DA prof doesnt hurt for free but yea not much good DA
    WF would be probably better for DC & PA boni


    Toughness,
    PA,
    Cleave,
    Great Cleave,
    IC: Main Weapon of Choice
    Empower Healing
    Feat of Choice
    Lightning Reflexes if Human

    or a TWF Version 2Rogue/7Druid/11Barb. Str, Con/Dex, Wis, Int, Cha
    Toughness
    PA
    TWF
    ITWF
    IC: Main Weapon of Choice
    GTWF
    Empower Healing

    Just a couple rough ideas assuming you have enough build experience to fill in the blanks.
    ............................
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

  14. #14
    Community Member Feralthyrtiaq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,385

    Default 11 Barb...

    Quote Originally Posted by Daemoneyes View Post
    ............................
    Gives you the Peace of Mind knowing that you will actually get Barbarian as PL without worrying about Alphabetically ordered Class names and 2/9/9 or w/e other kind of builds.

    Stunning Blow works best when Mega-Ultra Raged as a Barb which works counter-productively with Druid Spell Casting and pretty much anything else you want to do in the game besides drink Potions.

    Not sure if OP planned on doing any Epics.

    But *just* for leveling to get Barb PL.

    and Given that the OP mentioned Druid.

    9 Druid and 11 Barb seems a good balance for leveling a past life. Not for much else except some EN/EH with an understanding group.

    On a Monk that can achieve good Stunning Fist DCs for Heroic Content and a Barbarian that intends to RAGE up to the strength for Stunning Blow to land I can understand Dwarf for DCs and such.

    For Heroic Content a few more Druid Levels can't hurt to bolster what you give up by not being pure Barb or 2Ftr/18Barb with a drinking problem that only stacks to 10, slows you down and gimps your saves and is not needed for much of Heroic content.

    Yeah....Of course there are much better build ideas out there building more on Class Strengths and Tactics but for just leveling a PL in Heroic Content....*almost* "anything" can work.
    I am often cynical and say mean things. It's a WAI "Feature".

  15. #15
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Feralthyrtiaq View Post
    Gives you the Peace of Mind knowing that you will actually get Barbarian as PL without worrying about Alphabetically ordered Class names and 2/9/9 or w/e other kind of builds.

    Stunning Blow works best when Mega-Ultra Raged as a Barb which works counter-productively with Druid Spell Casting and pretty much anything else you want to do in the game besides drink Potions.

    Not sure if OP planned on doing any Epics.

    But *just* for leveling to get Barb PL.

    and Given that the OP mentioned Druid.

    9 Druid and 11 Barb seems a good balance for leveling a past life. Not for much else except some EN/EH with an understanding group.

    On a Monk that can achieve good Stunning Fist DCs for Heroic Content and a Barbarian that intends to RAGE up to the strength for Stunning Blow to land I can understand Dwarf for DCs and such.

    For Heroic Content a few more Druid Levels can't hurt to bolster what you give up by not being pure Barb or 2Ftr/18Barb with a drinking problem that only stacks to 10, slows you down and gimps your saves and is not needed for much of Heroic content.

    Yeah....Of course there are much better build ideas out there building more on Class Strengths and Tactics but for just leveling a PL in Heroic Content....*almost* "anything" can work.
    dont see the problem, barb is always first in the pl order.

    also stunning blow dc is not hard to reach in animal form because you can equip a stunning weapon in offhand.
    although i prefer vertigo of seeker shield (till 12) if the build is not stunning fist because blow is just to slow.
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

  16. #16
    The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Canada,Ontario, GTA
    Posts
    6,863

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daemoneyes View Post
    dont see the problem, barb is always first in the pl order.

    also stunning blow dc is not hard to reach in animal form because you can equip a stunning weapon in offhand.
    although i prefer vertigo of seeker shield (till 12) if the build is not stunning fist because blow is just to slow.
    Well the order is kind of stupid because it's goes Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, Fighter, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Sorc, Wiz (than KMIIW) FvS, Monk, Artificer, Druid
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

  17. #17
    Community Member Munkenmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    3,691

    Default

    Alot of the people who are saying that druids animal form isn't worth taking, probably haven't played a druid up to level 9.

    With 9 druid levels, you can have 18% double strike, reaving roar, fom, deathblock, cure critical wounds.

    A 9/2/9 splash probably isn't your best bet for epic elites But it's a very strong contender for HE's. The easiest (non +5 heart) barb lives I've done are:

    Half elf - monk dilly
    1rogue > 1barb > 9druid > 1rogue > 8 barb

    Pick up toughness, power attack, cleave, great cleave > 3* natural fighting feats

    Look at your unavailable enhancements, you want to pick up reaving roar as soon as possible, It's amazing aoe dps when leveling in heroic content. Try to sustain maximum healing amp where possible.

    Ignore barb rage once cure pots aren't enough to sustain your self healing requirements, just be sure to cast your buffs then rage in the lower levels.

    Once you get to level 17 Start using Frenzy (not rage) constantly and you'll be on your way to an easy path to level 20.

  18. #18
    The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Canada,Ontario, GTA
    Posts
    6,863

    Default

    Wisdom isn't a bad thing to put some points into for a Barbarian and cleric dilly doesnt make UMD useless you still want it to bypass alignment things and if you get to the point where you don't need cleric dilly somehow you can switch to a different dilly
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

  19. #19
    Community Member SealedInSong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,012

    Default Personally

    For one character's barbarian past life, I went druid2/barbarian18.

    Whomever said that druid2 is almost useless is quite right--it's more about flavor and having a teensy SP pool for some healing and buffs very early on. It's also kind of fun being a Frenzied Animal.

    If you truly intend to TR as soon as you hit 20, however, I would recommend getting access to Reaving Roar ASAP and never shapeshifting. It's very powerful up until about level 16.
    Character Compendium
    __________________
    Sarlona*Eternal Wrath
    __________________

  20. #20
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    397

    Default

    Common Druid splashes are 2, 4, and 8. 2 gives you one animal form, 4 gives the other, and 8 gives you the first Magical Beast form. No experience with barbs, though. I do know that splashing 2 fighter onto a Druid base and speccing for Doublestrike makes an awesome melee druid, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload