Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Community Member Drelak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    193

    Default Is hammerblock armor better than +3 AC at mid levels?

    Bit of a noob question, so I post it here.

    I have 3 divines, pallies and a cleric, in the level range of 10-14.
    I run solo with a hireling or duo, content that is slightly lower level, on normal and hard. (I am bit concerned about elite trap damage.)
    These are first life toons, and I am slowly farming server favor with them.

    I tend to have on each toon 2 or 3 armors, one has highest AC I have found, and one has hammerblock but 3 less AC.
    I have no other DR items on. The defense percentage is around 40.

    These levels I think the blunt damage guys are mostly ogres, trolls and hill giants.
    Considering their average damage, is the hammerblock clearly better damage mitigation against them than few more misses from higher AC?

  2. #2
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,108

    Default

    I am not sure if they are all using magic weapons at that time, to be honest I never bothered to check. But, invulnerability might be the best bet to around level 14.

  3. #3
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    2,313

    Default

    On my 1000 favor runners, I usually used a superior stability armor (ML11, must be true neutral to use); buying the shard from AH for around 50k. Also look at buttressing armor. I've also used Heavy Fort armor if I did not have plat for it in a better slot.

  4. #4
    Community Member Jingwei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    623

    Default

    What about the nightforge plate? Pretty easy to get, has dr 3/- and augment slots.

    Also worth looking at is Gorgon armor, which has stoneskin guard and is BTA, if you are going to be using multiple characters.

    There's also Giantcraft plate, which gives a variety of useful bonuses and DR 3/-

  5. #5
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    On my 1000 favor runners, I usually used a superior stability armor (ML11, must be true neutral to use); buying the shard from AH for around 50k. Also look at buttressing armor. I've also used Heavy Fort armor if I did not have plat for it in a better slot.
    All good choices, better than hammerblock anyway at those levels.

    I am not sure if the mobs get magic weapons at 14 or 12, so that is why I normally wear invulnerability on new characters until I get something better for them.

  6. #6
    Community Member Ryiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mubjon View Post
    I am not sure if the mobs get magic weapons at 14 or 12
    Enemies start getting it roughly around level 12. I usually abandon Invulnerability when I start running Desert quests.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

  7. #7
    Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    work....
    Posts
    30,189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mubjon View Post
    I am not sure if they are all using magic weapons at that time, to be honest I never bothered to check. But, invulnerability might be the best bet to around level 14.
    Pre the AC change, I dropped invulnerability at about.. lvl 6-7 or so actually. Given that it is DR/magic, I doubt that has changed much, honestly.

    Roughly about the time I could wear mod fort.

  8. #8

    Default

    Get Bolstering/Buttressing armor. It's amazing.

    Hammerblock is situationally useful, but you can't count on things always using blunt weapons except in specific instances.

    Invulnerability really starts to fall off at about level 8. It's Eberron, and everybody and their cousin totes around a +1 weapon.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

  9. #9

    Default

    Generally, if I can work with DR on my armor (often it ends up being improved false life) I'll go with axeblock on the armor and spearblock via the mire set.

    Pallies can cast angelskin when fighting large groups of bludgeoning mobs. (ogres, trolls, zombies) Or use angelskin as your primary dr. Only powerful evil outsiders bypass dr/evil. (See link in sig.)

    Another option is kaelth's touch, a trinket with dr 5/evil from necro3 scarab turn-ins. The scarabs can be bought from the ah and turned in even without owning the pack.

  10. #10
    Community Member Kinerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    4,710

    Default

    One monster type that always bypasses DR X/Magic with Bludgeoning attacks is the Earth Elemental.

  11. #11
    Community Member Drelak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    193

    Default

    OK. Thanks for your input. I guess I'll vendor the plates from the pallys at least, and finally start to use that angelskin instead.

    It seems that most of you still think that DR is better than AC. Thinking about your responses I realized that the mobs I run against really are not such a threat that any difference would be important.

  12. #12
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    Pre the AC change, I dropped invulnerability at about.. lvl 6-7 or so actually. Given that it is DR/magic, I doubt that has changed much, honestly.

    Roughly about the time I could wear mod fort.
    I have not really noticed much difference in wearing fortification at the low levels, around level 12 I want heavy fort as it seems to really scale up in damage at that point.

  13. #13
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matuse View Post
    Get Bolstering/Buttressing armor. It's amazing.

    Hammerblock is situationally useful, but you can't count on things always using blunt weapons except in specific instances.

    Invulnerability really starts to fall off at about level 8. It's Eberron, and everybody and their cousin totes around a +1 weapon.
    I do like bolstering/buttressing armors, unfortunately I cannot seem to find them for the appropriate level. I would love to see more armors, have a hard time finding any though to drop for me or in the auction house.

  14. #14

    Default

    Yes, it's hard to find those prefixes on anything much below level 14. I have a bolstering robe that is ML:6, and it's really really nice.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload