Default Ranger Tempest needs help with weapon choice

Hi, I'm currently playing a ranger tempest (1 level of Rogue and Fighter, 7 Ranger), my IC are slashing weapons, I have Khopesh proficiency and was wondering what weapon enchantments would be best for me so I know what to look for when looking for new weapons. I like soloing a lot but on the other hand I don't want to be useless in groups... At the moment I have:

+4 Khopesh of Righteousness / +2 Bodyfeeder Scimitar - main set
    Mace of the Wraith (+3, Force, Ghost Touch, Heavy Mace) / +2 Icy Burst Warhammer - for skeletons, wraiths and such

I've got a few questions:
    1) Is Bodyfeeder Scimitar in offhand a good choice? It's 30% threat range with improved critical, which means it proc's a lot even in offhand and feels like the damage loss is minimal (especially since the offhand strike doesn't proc 100% yet).
    2) What would be a good weapon/enchantment against elementals? I usually have a problem with elementals on Elite versions of quests because of their DR.
    3) Am I going to need Cold Iron, Silver, Byeshk or any other kind of DR bypassing enchantment any time soon? I do mostly f2p quests +-2 levels from mine... I keep seeing them on the auction and I don't think I've ever met any Illithid or Vampire and only one Flesh Render (Caverns of Korromar)...

Also any other comments are welcome :-)

Edit: Actually don't have WF, got cofused with my fighter...
    Last edited by gorocz; 04-08-2013 at 11:07 PM.

There was a time when khopesh was the weapon of choice for almost every melee character. I don't think that is true any longer. To the contrary, unless you just have extra feats to burn it is probably an unnecessary choice.

Weapon focus is probably another wasted feat.

The feats you should have at this time, if you are looking at the Tempest PrE, are Dodge, Mobility and Spring Attack. In addition, you probably are looking at Toughness and IC:something. Unless you are human that is 5 out of 5 feats at L9 (L1,L3,L6,L9 + fighter class feat). If you are human your other feat should probably be Power Attack.

In terms of stat distribution, you should have 13 DEX at start to qualify Dodge and then as much STR and CON as you can get given your build points. Even though you have a rogue level, you should not be putting points into INT as even an 8 INT is enough for everything you'll ever do as a rogue. Same with WIS -- no build points there. Instead just use WIS items to get the WIS needed to cast spells.

Looking ahead in the game, the best melee weapons are all PIERCING weapons. As example, Balizarde is a rapier and, arguably, the best one-handed weapon in the current game.

Now, you may not get there since you say you are F2P and mostly solo. But, assuming you buy up the various adventure packs, you will eventually want to be piercing focused.

As to weapon combos, it isn't all about the +N at the beginning of the weapon. Check for weapons that do extra damage against particular types of mobs or that destroy them outright. For example, bane weapons or disruption/smiting/vorpal/etc.

Also, don't ignore the ranged attacks. I often found that using a longbow with a specific attack against mobs gave me a bit more flexibility. For example, if elementals are a problem try engaging them with an elemental bane bow at range.

As to DR breakers, I seldom worry about that anymore. Maybe silver + good for running Shroud or cold iron + good for Demon Queen. But, honestly, most of the time the DR is so low (mind flayers, reavers) that you just don't really need DR breakers for the ordinary mobs.

Actually, I don't have weapon focus, don't know why I thought I have... As I said, I'm a tempest, so I have dodge/mobility/spring attack. In addition, Toughness and Improve Critical: Slashing and the extra human feat was the Khopesh Proficiency. It seemed to nicely synergize with the Improved Critical feat... Looking at rapiers, they're basically the same as scimitars at my level, where most weapons I find are randomly generated, so I'll keep slashing for the time being (as there's better selection of slashing weapons) and possibly swap it later. I'll try to find a nice weapon to use in main hand instead of the khopesh and swap the proficiency for power attack to see what happens. I'm not sure if I'll be hitting much though, with the TWF -4/-4 penalty to hit...

Ad stats - I've got pretty much what you described. Anyway, I think I'm gonna TR this char anyway, as soon as possible, so it doesn't matter if I didn't have my stats min-maxed this life as I'm gonna be able to spend more points on them next life as well as having +int tomes used right at their level for the extra skill points.

Ad weapons - I try to have a weapon that has both a little +n and a nice prefix/suffix, but when I got to L8, the choice wasn't so good, so I went with what felt like the best choice, I had better luck with the bludgeoning set :-) .

Ad ranged weapons - with the bodyfeeder and a cleric hireling, I don't really have to range much as I tank quite well so far, I have a longbow but only use it against casters/archers that are sniping me. The problem with the elementals was really just that I was killing them too slowly, hitting really low because of their DR. I'll try to find some elemental bane but I don't see such weapons much on auction, so that could take some while...
    Last edited by gorocz; 04-08-2013 at 11:05 PM.

Community Member

Bodyfeeder and other defensive effects are really good for soloing, but they don't work well in parties, because the enemies hit harder and take longer to kill. Get the best damage weapopn that you can and trust your fellow party members with the healing and crowd control. See if you can find a helpful crafter to make a pair of Holy Khopeshes of Bleeding for you.

If you can find paralyzing weapons, they are the best defensive weapon type up to level 19. It can even be useful in a party, if people are taking too much damage. Search for them at the vendors and the auction house.

Use your manyshot feat, it is very powerful. Equip a bow, activate manyshot, shoot for 20 seconds, equip the khopeshes back. You won't be disappointed.

DR breakers? At your level, there are some vampires that require silver and some golems that require adamantine. keep in mind that your DR breaker doesn't need to be a good weapon - a +1 silver dagger of impulse +12 will break a vampire's DR. Don't spend too much plat on these
    Kmnh * Kmn * Kmm * Knn * Knm

Leader of Templar

Same char here (1 rogue/1 fighter/rest ranger) leveled up to 22

For feat, Power Attack is a must, it improve your damage and will help in every fight
    (And it opens path to Cleave/Great Cleave)

For a tempest, best weapons are kopesh/scimitar/rapiers but there are no really good named weapon
    So you will stick with lootgen/crafted weapons

Basically, you will reach the levels that will force to use different weapons

What you will need is
    - silver holy weapon (preferably bludgeon) for undead (and silver + holy will help againt devil too)
    - For elemental, a banishing weapon will be the best, but you will not be able to use it yet. So choose a weapon that will go lot of damage. An <elemental> weapon will add 1D6 damage each hit (unless the elemental is immune to this element). Acid or shock is your best choice
    - For main weapon, holy is a good prefix (damage to all evil creature, doesn't work on animals/elemental/most constructs)

If you solo, i find that a bodyfeeder weapon (with high crit area) is a good off-hand weapon.
    Bodyfeeder of (less) vampirism will be good later (i used it all the time up to lvl 19)

Also, as a ranger, you will have Manyshot, Precision, Improved Precision, so your damage with a bow can be good even if you are not an AA. A good solution will be to have a bow (holy or acid) and use various arrows (fire arrow for water elemental, cold arrow for fire elemental,...)

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gorocz View Post
    1) Is Bodyfeeder Scimitar in offhand a good choice? It's 30% threat range with improved critical, which means it proc's a lot even in offhand and feels like the damage loss is minimal (especially since the offhand strike doesn't proc 100% yet).
    I like Bodyfeeder from a survivability perspective; having a constantly replenishing HP buffer helps keep you alive. But from a DPS perspective, Burst weapons are better.
    2) What would be a good weapon/enchantment against elementals? I usually have a problem with elementals on Elite versions of quests because of their DR.
    Banishing is best for outsiders, inc. elementals; but I think they're ML:10. So you might be able to find Elemental Bane weapons instead. Banishing used to be piercing-only effect, but I don't think that's still true; but hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
    3) Am I going to need Cold Iron, Silver, Byeshk or any other kind of DR bypassing enchantment any time soon? I do mostly f2p quests +-2 levels from mine...
    Not in general, but check out the F2P quests for specific quests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Therigar View Post
    There was a time when khopesh was the weapon of choice for almost every melee character. I don't think that is true any longer. To the contrary, unless you just have extra feats to burn it is probably an unnecessary choice.
    All things being equal, khopesh is still top dog. However, all things are not equal once you factor in specific named (epic) weapons and EDs. But since the OP is still talking only about F2P quests, I didn't want to fall too far down the epic DPS rabbit hole yet...

Community Member

grab a dirty great big 2-handed whomping stick for when you're up against DR you can't bypass.

when fighting with 2 weapons you get your STR bonus on your main hand, and half your STR bonus on your off hand. so that adds up to 1.5 times your STR bonus if there is no DR in the way. if there is DR in that way both hands loose damage to it.

with a 2-handed beater you get 1.5 times your STR bonus to damage, and if there is DR in the way it only gets taken off the once, not twice! so a 2-hander is much easier to brute force through DR you can't bypass if you discover you have the wrong tools for the job.

so, ideally you'd have a banisher or bane weapon for those pesky elementals, but while you're scouring for a bargain you can afford, just grab a 2-handed whomping stick to help out now.
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

Quote Originally Posted by ReaperAlexEU View Post
    grab a dirty great big 2-handed whomping stick for when you're up against DR you can't bypass.
    Note that if it happens to be metalline than it is even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Enguebert View Post
    Same char here (1 rogue/1 fighter/rest ranger) leveled up to 22

For feat, Power Attack is a must, it improve your damage and will help in every fight
    (And it opens path to Cleave/Great Cleave)

For a tempest, best weapons are kopesh/scimitar/rapiers but there are no really good named weapon
    So you will stick with lootgen/crafted weapons

Basically, you will reach the levels that will force to use different weapons

What you will need is
    - silver holy weapon (preferably bludgeon) for undead (and silver + holy will help againt devil too)
    - For elemental, a banishing weapon will be the best, but you will not be able to use it yet. So choose a weapon that will go lot of damage. An <elemental> weapon will add 1D6 damage each hit (unless the elemental is immune to this element). Acid or shock is your best choice
    - For main weapon, holy is a good prefix (damage to all evil creature, doesn't work on animals/elemental/most constructs)

If you solo, i find that a bodyfeeder weapon (with high crit area) is a good off-hand weapon.
    Bodyfeeder of (less) vampirism will be good later (i used it all the time up to lvl 19)

Also, as a ranger, you will have Manyshot, Precision, Improved Precision, so your damage with a bow can be good even if you are not an AA. A good solution will be to have a bow (holy or acid) and use various arrows (fire arrow for water elemental, cold arrow for fire elemental,...)
    You're actually fine with holy + silver slasher. You only need silver to break devil, some vampire and werewolf dr's. You can use a holy bludgeon weapon for skeletons (either 2 x warhammer or heavy maces, or even a maul).
    Arrael - Tempest/Kensai; Alyesia - Exploiter Build; Porksoda - WF FvS; Kaealla - Paladin; Arodeth - Envoker FvS

Centre of the Universe-ish, winterland version

Quote Originally Posted by gorocz View Post
    Hi, I'm currently playing a ranger tempest (1 level of Rogue and Fighter, 7 Ranger), my IC are slashing weapons, I have Khopesh proficiency and was wondering what weapon enchantments would be best for me so I know what to look for when looking for new weapons. I like soloing a lot but on the other hand I don't want to be useless in groups... At the moment I have:

+4 Khopesh of Righteousness / +2 Bodyfeeder Scimitar - main set
    Mace of the Wraith (+3, Force, Ghost Touch, Heavy Mace) / +2 Icy Burst Warhammer - for skeletons, wraiths and such

I've got a few questions:
    3) Am I going to need Cold Iron, Silver, Byeshk or any other kind of DR bypassing enchantment any time soon? I do mostly f2p quests +-2 levels from mine... I keep seeing them on the auction and I don't think I've ever met any Illithid or Vampire and only one Flesh Render (Caverns of Korromar)...

Also any other comments are welcome :-)

Edit: Actually don't have WF, got cofused with my fighter...

You've got a lot of comments here, but I'm not sure that they're all helpful. So, I'll throw some more into the mix to complicate it even more.

1. A bodyfeeder scimitar is okay, but not great. If you feel that you need defence, and offhand paralyzing weapon would probably be better, but you'll likey have problems finding one until around level 12 or so. I think they show up first as Min Level 10 weapons, but you almost never see them until later.

That aside, you might be better off focusing right now on dealing damage, as the quicker you kill something the less damage you take. As a ranger, you should be able to heal up after the fight, as long as you can survive it. Look at armor, items of protection, items of parrying and items of resistance to help your defence.

2. The types of extra weapon damage that should affect all elementals are bane (Elemental Bane or Banishing), Vicious, Pure Good, and sonic. Some elementals are hurt by fire, cold, acid or lightning, but some will also have resistance to those (each to their own type). I'm not sure if elementals are hurt by Lacerating, but I think not, since they don't bleed. Keeping up elemen resistances against fire and water elementals are key for those fights.

3. For silver, the first vampire you can fight is in a level 9 free quest; there aren't any more, from what I recall, until the Orchard quests and Wilderness, around level 13-14. After that, the main place you'll want silver will be a level 17 raid, the Shroud, where the boss has good+silver DR. There are some demons in the Demon Sands quests that require good+cold iron, and the raid boss there requires good+cold iron; those are level 10-12 quests. There are no raid bosses that have Byeshk DR; the first mind flayers show up in quests around level 11-12, in free quests, and there are some later premium packs that have them starting around level 14 (I think...).

Honestly, the vast majority of the DR you'll see is good, and even that isn't too common until the teens.

For the level you're at now you don't need optimized gear, but it's a good time to start thinking about to prepare for the levels where it will make a difference, so you've got the right approach. Fortunately, by the time you hit the mid-teen levels, you should have the resources to get most of what you need from the Auction House, if you haven't already looted it yourself, and there should be a decent supply of the basic type of gear you'll want.
    ---------------------------------------
    * Thelanis - Mercure *
    C.L.A.W. (Council of Law and War)
    ---------------------------------------

Alright, thanks everyone for the (sometimes contradicting) feedback, I'll try to make up something out of it...

To make one thing clear: you cannot bypass the overwhelming majority of elemental DR, because it is untyped. There are I believe a few baby earth elementals that have DR X/Adamantine, but they are neither important nor interesting (take that, helicopter mama earth elementals!!!).
    Quote Originally Posted by ReaperAlexEU View Post
    with a 2-handed beater you get 1.5 times your STR bonus to damage, and if there is DR in the way it only gets taken off the once, not twice! so a 2-hander is much easier to brute force through DR you can't bypass if you discover you have the wrong tools for the job.
    DR is applied to both main blows and glancing blows. Without the THF feats, this will probably reduce your glancing blows to 0 with no chance for magical effects. It is certainly more satisfying to use THF, but TWF is still almost certainly mechanically superior.
    Quote Originally Posted by Therigar
    Looking ahead in the game, the best melee weapons are all PIERCING weapons. As example, Balizarde is a rapier and, arguably, the best one-handed weapon in the current game.
    ...until you want to bypass DR. Additionally, Balizarde includes Keen, so for Rangers (unlike Fighters) they can use it just as well as they would use a given slashing weapon.

OP, what I recommend for you is to not stress about it. All the weapons you have available to you are pretty lousy, and there is no universal best case. The regimes I use on my weapon users are:

1) Generic trash (no Holy or other 1/3 alignment, no type-specific effect like Banishing or Bane)
    2) Specific complex DRs (usually a metal type + Holy + the relevant Bane)
    3) Elementals (usually Banishing)
    4) Constructs (usually Smiting + Holy [Shroud portals] or a light prefix like Coruscating)
    5) One acid weapon (for troll regen and a particular ogre magi boss' regen)
    6) One or two chaotic weapons (for a particular Marut boss)
    7) Ghost touch, either via weapon or otherwise (Spectral Gloves, Ethereal Bracers, AA, HotD)
    8) Muckbanes

It doesn't cover everything, but it covers pretty much everything.

LOL.. you guys crack me up. Your making this WAYYY too hard for a new player. Chances are he is looking for simple and direct advice and a base set up on weapons.

I got a AA, Tempest, and my main has 3x past lives on a ranger (2 temp multiclass / 1AA) so i consider myself pretty good at it.

As a Trapper Tempest (Your not really an Exploiter as that is defined by using Monk shenanigans abilities in the build) the easiest points i can advise are these:

1. Strength, Constitution and some wisdom/dex to a lesser extent are your main concerns. Strength builds are better then Finesse (DEX) builds. CON = HPs = Survivability. HPs are important. Toughness Feat is a must.

2. Kopeshes are still the best 1 handed weapon (excluding special named weapons) in game. Their higher crit profile will top DPS on any other weapon type. Look into the Cannith Challenge Kopesh of Water. VERY good weapon from lv 8-18 and easy to get/upgrade. They even have Paralyze starting at lv 12. Add Holy to it to break some DR.

3. Do you know about the DDO Character Planner? Google it. It lets you prebuild full toons and u can see all feats, levels, enhancements and stats before you do something you will regret later.

4. Do not neglect your Self Healing Enhancements/Feats. Cap all your Human healing amp and Ranger Devotion. Find a healing Devotion/Greater Healing Lore weapon to swap into your off-hand. Fit in Maximize Feat for your heals and you will self heal for: Cure Moderate = 120+, Cure Serious = 200+. Imagine a Single heal for half your life. Makes soloing SOOO much better.

5. Farm a Silver Bow (look on DDOwiki) for your Manyshot bursts. Best bow till lv 15. Manyshot remains the highest burst damage in game thru all your levels, even into 20+. Use it.

6. Luckily.. DDO is actually a pretty easy game. Go Full bore DPS build. Dont waste your time on defensive AC or resistance enhancements as you level. +Damage, + Haste all the way. The faster you kill, the less damage you take.

7. Be careful on spending your skill points. there is no way to reset them unless you buy a Lesser Heart of Wood and rebuild/level your guy. Focus on Maxing Search and full Trap skills. Jump 10, Balance 10, Tumble 1.

8. Dont worry about DR. As you level, only like 1% of the game has any meaningful DR. Most all mobs that do have DR are like DR/5 or DR/10, nothing big. Only 2 points are Maruts (Need Chaotic aligned weapon, I use a Chaotic Bow to just Manyshot them) and Ghastly Skellies in Delaras Tomb (need Good). Most all trash dont have DR. None of the wilderness areas have any meaningful DR. Most things I could beat up with a Hickory stick.

Hope that helps you new guys! I've liked the ranger class ever sense I started PnP, if built well, a ranger is a great class to learn DDO on.
    Last edited by Thayion516; 04-10-2013 at 06:24 PM.