Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Lightbulb Snick!! Snack!! ***Vorpals***: discussion and debate. Vorpal Logic?

How can a Vorpal as sharp as Obsidian, bounce off the neck of an enemy, be prevented by Death, by a so called Spell and keep the, "head", from leaving the body, and we all just look the other way and say hey I guess the head magically stayed glued on?! by a spell that is vague when it comes to Vorpal Logic. Something so Sharp and rare that is a confirmed crit needs to be looked at again:

I. Did it bounce off? This is absurd.

1. A natural roll of 20 that is a Vorpal, a head cut off is blocked by Deathblock. Thiis is crazy In my opionon and we look the other way because the game says this is what happen. But what happened? The head was cut off and the Vorpal either bounced off or the person grew a new head.

Fighers epilogue: 'Deathblock prevents death, but the head somehow glued itself back on and the slashing weapon rolled a 20, confirmed it and missed? HuH! must rest from confusion.

Thesis: This spell called Deathward should not prevent Vorpals.

Question: Does this break the game and that is why Vorpals were dumbed down?

Fact: Vorpals used to be KING! Now they are mats that we pass/walk over in our reward lists and pick something else.

My opinion: Deathward is too powerful when it comes to stamping out vorpals, with a rubber stamp! This makes no sense as I stated.

Thank you for your time and for reading my opening statement.

The floor is open.
    Last edited by Zorth; 04-06-2013 at 11:15 PM.
    The Blood of the Red Dragon

1. Vorpals were never king. They were ok situationally.

2. I'm ok with deathblock/deathward preventing vorpal effects.

3. I'm not ok with the 1000 HP rule. It is ridiculous, particularly in the climate of today's DDO. It was not needed in the first place, but it is absurd now.
    Akori-Fighter Iroka-Sorcerer Censured-Rogue Isilti-Cleric Tony-Sorcerer Duress-Cleric Elaril-Fighter Avatard-Fighter Mitigation-Paladin Loose-Bard Shiken-Fighter Unreasonably-Barbarian Jueh-Monk

#3. I agree.

Community Member

There are plenty of magical protections that defy what one would expect physically, I don't have a problem with DW or DB doing so.

Besides, DW didn't kill vorpals. A hit point cap that is far too low did. Essentially, any mob that could be killed by a vorpal has so few hit points you are usually better off going with straight dps.

now there is a paradox

Un nerf vorpals and every toon will be weilding them in no time.

They would dominate everywhere and DR breakers wouldn't even be needed anymore. Why try to pass DR when you can just roll a 20 and end the fight?!?!

While it doesn't follow D&D lore, it was a needed change.
    The Fockers of Argo
    Fuglymofo; LOOON; Hobaggin; Fuglyrobo; Buttscracher; Whoaa

The Hatchery

If vorpal gets a deathblock exception then Assassinate should, too.

Community Member

Well as our choices are likely vorpals as they are or no vorpals in the game at all, I'm fine with the way things are. If it really bothered me, I would simply not play and it would no longer be a problem.

Community Member

The current implementation is okay but the 1000 HP limit is too low.
    Personal d000m level: 83%

Quote Originally Posted by zwiebelring View Post
    Ape_Man does clever trolling nothing more. Don't feed him/her.

Community Member

If vorpal was a single named weapon and not found anywhere else, like it was in 2nd edition, I would agree.

But as a random generated effect, more common that funery tokens? No.
    The Silver Legion - Guild Medieval
    Arisan - Arisanna - Arisanto - Arisgard - Betatest
    Cannith

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Elaril View Post
    1. Vorpals were never king. They were ok situationally.
    Slight Clarification...

Vorpals were most certainly King at one point. When they functioned on crit rather then natural 20. Back then a Vorpal Scimitar/Kukri in the hands of a melee with Imp Crit: Slashing owned. Period.

Back to todays game. I like how they added the +.5 to base damage of a Vorpal weapon, but I do agree it still feels lacking. It is afterall one of the very best PnP weapon attirbutes and to see it in this state in the game is kinda sad.
    Git off mah lawn!

If, If's and But's was Candies and Nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

Community Member

Vorpals create a basic amount of trash killing power - You kill a mob every 20 attacks, no matter how little focus you have on doing damage. Before the vorpal nerf, people were running extreme defense builds with vorpals. It worked, clonks and exploiter rangers could solo a lot of stuff, but the way they did it was not fun - I had a ranger.

Vorpal weapons are an idea that looks cool on paper but creates boring gameplay patterns in practice.

The 1000 HP cap does feel too low for epic elite content, but I think raising it could be bad for people who play Epic Normal and Epic Hard, who are the majority of DDO players. Maybe a dev can show us some data on that?
    Kmnh * Kmn * Kmm * Knn * Knm

Leader of Templar

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zorth View Post
    How can a Vorpal as sharp as Obsidian, bounce off the neck of an enemy, be prevented by Death, by a so called Spell and keep the, "head", from leaving the body, and we all just look the other way and say hey I guess the head magically stayed glued on?! by a spell that is vague when it comes to Vorpal Logic. Something so Sharp and rare that is a confirmed crit needs to be looked at again:

1. A natural roll of 20 that is a Vorpal, a head cut off is blocked by Deathblock. Thiis is crazy In my opionon and we look the other way because the game says this is what happen. But what happened? The head was cut off and the Vorpal either bounced off or the person grew a new head.

Fighers epilogue: 'Deathblock prevents death, but the head somehow glued itself back on and the slashing weapon rolled a 20, confirmed it and missed? HuH! must rest from confusion.

Fact: Vorpals used to be KING! Now they are mats that we pass/walk over in our reward lists and pick something else.

My opinion: Deathward is too powerful when it comes to stamping out vorpals, with a rubber stamp! This makes no sense as I stated.

The floor is open.
    I Magic

1. A wizard did it

Thesis, in a game with magic robots, magic potions and magic magic, a little magic goes a long way. Its like a car analogy, you know who else liked car analogy's? Hitler.

I 100% agree with the 1000hp limit, problem is then in heroic they become way to powerful. Same with smiting, disrupting and banishing. Do you lower the limit on them also? Do you make it so vorpal, smiting, disrupting and banishing are only on lvl20+ stuff? Do you change all the random loot gen tables? Do you take away the items players already have? Do you have two tiers of items the 'new items' and 'legacy items'? Min lvl 8 green steel? Pre-augment and post augment items like the Cloak of Ice?

A triple positive GS repeater and min lvl7 Hand of the Tomb's makes a mockery of undead quests already. Will we see LFM's like 'Melee have vorpal something or GTFO' if its king again?

Way to much for the dev's to worry about when they are looking to pump out the next 'Epic Expansion'.

Might be able to get behind setting the threshold at say... 50HP*CR (same as now for a CR20, less for weaker, more for stronger) for scaling purposes?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Braegan View Post
    Slight Clarification...

Vorpals were most certainly King at one point. When they functioned on crit rather then natural 20. Back then a Vorpal Scimitar/Kukri in the hands of a melee with Imp Crit: Slashing owned. Period.

Back to todays game. I like how they added the +.5 to base damage of a Vorpal weapon, but I do agree it still feels lacking. It is afterall one of the very best PnP weapon attirbutes and to see it in this state in the game is kinda sad.
    Changing it to a full [w] would put it ahead of the 3d6 prefixes but behind some of the crazy stuff like the Meteoric prefix . Maybe that's too good for an heroic prefix? Could we have a "greater vorpal" found only in epic weapons that adds the full[w]?
    Kmnh * Kmn * Kmm * Knn * Knm

Leader of Templar

Make the hit point limit on vorpal = quest level * 100. That way as levels and content expand, so does the functionality of vorpal without making it overpowered at lower levels. And bosses should remain immune.
    Ascent, Argonnessen ~ Cleatus Yogurthawker | Isostatic Rebound | Mohorovicic Discontinuity | Angular Unconformity
    Ghalanda ~
    Feldspathic Greywacke

Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

The 1,000 Hp rule is reasonable in its purpose but not in its practice.

You can't typically use a vorpal until level 10, and what is the average HP for the CR of an Elite mob after lvl 10? Most likely well over 100 HP.
    So the vorpal should do damage that accurately represents an average killing blow.

I have no issue with the 1000 HP threshold, but the vorpal hit should do 1000 damage always. If you don't like that, move the threshold. It's asinine that a mob with 1001 HP takes 100 damage, but a mob with 999 HP is killed.

Community Member

The first time I saw a vorpal was in atraxia at the vendor. I was a new player about level 11 and it was a happy moment for me. I was like omg a vorp vorp? Little did I know then that it's value had already been marginalized into a useless weapon any fool could find.

See, in D&D a vorpal weapon wasn't some random **** you found laying around.
    It was one of the top 3 most sought after blades ever known. Entire careers were based on finding one of these blades. Then built around keeping it.

The Sword Of Sharpness
    The Vorpal Sword
    The Holy Avenger.

DDO has already made the 2nd and 3rd worthless.
    Maybe they can redeem themselves with an SOS.
    Last edited by MaximusParthas; 04-07-2013 at 02:09 AM.
    Krimsonrayne -Ultimate Lord of Shadows on Orien server.
    Using -Ethan Hunt build -Assassin III, 900+ HP versatile, survivalist, high dps, str build.
    Build presented in video format. Long Live R.O.G.U.E.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorth View Post

The floor is open.
    1. It is a magical chastity belt for the neck
    Obscurity

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast