Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    It doesn't mean "sniff flowers" or "no zerging" unless it states those, either. So zerging is fair game.
    Wow - Just Wow!

Zerging - Just like Flower Sniffing is an EXTREME of Gameplay!

Stop insisting on Extremes being the Standard!

The standard is in the Centre thank you very much and Unless someone Stipulates an Extreme in their LFG {Or at least before they step into the quest!} it should be expected that Extremes are Not required!

And we shouldn't be forced into HAVING to put "No Zerging" in our LFGs - This to my mind is just as aggressive as No Noobs and other such terms!

Teamwork is misunderstood - I see Teamwork on an LFG and immediately think no-way!
    Why?
    Why does the word Teamwork on an LFG instantly translate to "Autocratic Leader" in our minds?

Because the standard Centre Ground is and always has been the ASSUMPTION of Teamwork - It doesn't NEED to be spelled out in the LFG.
    So when we see it spelled out in the LFG we instantly get the wrong idea.

Some people say that the only True Teamwork is Zerg/BYOH - Another EXTREME viewpoint!

Every time a Forum thread pops up complaining about Zergers a number of Forumites instantly leap in to say that Zerging is NOT as bad as it's made out!
    There's a recent thread that's run to a few pages saying that the word Zerg means completely different things to seemingly everyone!

P.S.

For future reference - If you see an LFM up from any of my characters saying Elite BB {Quest will always be shown} It means:

1. Full XP {Conquest, Ransack, Most if not all Opts* - Ingenious if Possible}. - I will loot all chests!

2. We're not Farming - I'd have put it in the LFG if we were.

3. Hireling will be used if no divine {probably will be used anyway unless group fills fast}.

4. IP does NOT mean ZERG/BYOH - It simply means I'm not in the mood to stand around waiting for a group and have got started! {I don't leave Mobs behind - Respawns excluded of course}

5. NEW: LFM may indicate quest active even if IP hasn't been added - This most likely means I'm in the requisite slayer zone slaying while I wait!

6. NEW: If the LFM Timer indicates a large amount of time has passed and it's NOT a quest in a Slayer Zone then expect a 50% penalty to XP!
    I will wait for 80% to drop to 50% - I will NOT wait for 80% to drop to Zero! {It never does!}.

7. And Finally - I don't care about Flawless Victory!

* Extreme Challenge Opts are Unlikely to be attempted unless group looks Capable!

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    Not try? I strongly disagree. Yes, some things only come with better gear, etc., that a newer player doesn't have. But just because you can't reach some mythical "100% self sufficient" doesn't mean you should just give up and not even bother.

OP, do the best you can. Others in the thread have already given lots of specific advice.
    What I wanted to say is that knowledge of the quest can remove 50% of its pain. Of course you can try whatever you want on whatever life but as I see it, if you love this game you can do things on the long term. So you'll have TRs, you'll have other toons etc.
    Last edited by Nedime; 04-08-2013 at 11:24 AM.
    Succubus pretty ... too bad she try to kill us
    Lewela FvS (5th life)-Aezechiel Sorc (3rd life)-Usuldur Monk (5th life)-Larsenkarden Cleric (2nd life)-Punkcanard Eva-Artie (2nd life)-Kakophonyc Virtuoso/Fighter
    Le Dernier Chapitre ///// Argonnessen

Quote Originally Posted by Khatzhas View Post
    Bring a healing-capable hireling.
    This.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    Wow - Just Wow!

Zerging - Just like Flower Sniffing is an EXTREME of Gameplay!

Stop insisting on Extremes being the Standard!

<snip>

For future reference - If you see an LFM up from any of my characters saying Elite BB {Quest will always be shown} It means:

1. Full XP {Conquest, Ransack, Most if not all Opts* - Ingenious if Possible}. - I will loot all chests!

2. We're not Farming - I'd have put it in the LFG if we were.

3. Hireling will be used if no divine {probably will be used anyway unless group fills fast}.

4. IP does NOT mean ZERG/BYOH - It simply means I'm not in the mood to stand around waiting for a group and have got started! {I don't leave Mobs behind - Respawns excluded of course}

5. NEW: LFM may indicate quest active even if IP hasn't been added - This most likely means I'm in the requisite slayer zone slaying while I wait!

6. NEW: If the LFM Timer indicates a large amount of time has passed and it's NOT a quest in a Slayer Zone then expect a 50% penalty to XP!
    I will wait for 80% to drop to 50% - I will NOT wait for 80% to drop to Zero! {It never does!}.

7. And Finally - I don't care about Flawless Victory!

* Extreme Challenge Opts are Unlikely to be attempted unless group looks Capable!
    I really love the way that you get all indignant that other people would post a LFM with some assumptions made about how the group will be run, and then you post the long list of assumptions that you have but do not label in your LFMs.

It also seems like many of the things that you take to be "extreme" types of play are much more typical than you want to admit, and some of the things that you view as typical are just the way that you do them.

Community Member

Now that Barby-oh got level 9 I'm taking requests on what people would like to see done by the BYOH Barb project. I have purposely avoided super twinking her so I can provide guidance on a minimum set of gear that can provide self sufficiency to a barbarian/fighter. So far my highlights include:
    • Almost my first five star ever of behind the doors. I opened all the doors, had time left, but I didn't know where to find one of the bosses... I plan to go back sometime and get the full five star
    • Destroyed Tears on Elite without ship buffs. I had just made my falchion and I wanted to test it out. I get into scrapper lock and next thing I know... oops, quest is done
    • Plenty of interesting conversations with divines after I request to NOT be healed. My favorite was last night when a concerned cleric asked what if I get incapped. My response was they could either heal me, or just laugh at me. I didn't get laughed at, although I must admit sometimes I couldn't run fast enough to get away from the radiant burst... but I tried!

So far this doesn't feel like a gimp, in fact at level 9 it feels as strong as any self-sufficient toon I've ever built. I'm not hanging out at the edges trying to play sniper... I'm in the middle of the fight trying to kill stuff before anyone else can catch up.... dang monks and their run speed. I know tough times are ahead, but I heard a quote recently that "fear is when you believe the lie". Question is the lie that Barbs can be self-sufficient... or is the lie that they cannot?
    Last edited by csivils; 04-08-2013 at 12:46 PM.

Community Member

If, for whatever reason, you have to dive into lava...

Chug Fire protection potions unless your healing potions hit for more than 60 HP

(also try and have a heap of fire resistance/absorption buffs)

--

Props on the Barby-O project, always nice to see those kinds of videos!

Quote Originally Posted by derboesegolf View Post
    hi there,

i'm having problems with self healing my lvl 13 fighter. what options do i have to keep my health up in a fight? the only thing i have are the cure serious pots which heal for about 30 hp. that takes up to half a minute and 12 pots to restore my 380 hp. being in a fight at the same time makes things considerably worse.
    what am i missing here?
    You're missing nothing. You just hit the ouchie patch for pure fighters, especially first life fighters who are undergeared. Best way to deal with it is to not get hit so much.

I remember my first time in gianthold. I loved it but omgosh it was a pain for keeping healed. A guildie said try this and passed me a paralysing weapon and although my dps went down I found it a lot easier to survive and continue to contribute.

What others are recommending works too - heal amp, and so on, but if its your first life, I recommend picking up the first decent paralyzer you see on the AH for those ohnoe moments.

Later on, get your displacement/blur/hp item from Vale, and stoneskin clickie which help with the not being hit and damage mitigation. I didn't bother with SF pots on my first life, but did on my second and they do help. It'll take a while to get the favor though, especially if you're doing it on a guest pass to necro. And you'll still have to make sure you can keep all stats above 10 so you don't become helpless when you drink the pots. I use a globe of imperial blood then.

Community Member

BYOH means bring your own healing and CSW pots past level 8 is not BYOH. Probably the easiest way to get blacklisted by a lot of players is to join BYOH groups with only CSW pots. Also, bringing a hireling as your healing is generally frowned upon in most BYOH groups.

The solution for the class you picked is simply rogue splash for heal scrolls, half elf dilly for heal scrolls, or make your own group with a divine hireling/player.

I'd suggest a different class, like a barb who frankly is just as reliant on other players and can only use the means described above, but are actually far better than fighters. Past this, you could try a melee divine or a paladin/ranger. Paladins/rangers can easily be built to throw low mana 100+ cures by investing in their devotion line and getting a devotion item.

Quote Originally Posted by GlorifyQuC View Post
    BYOH means bring your own healing and CSW pots past level 8 is not BYOH. Probably the easiest way to get blacklisted by a lot of players is to join BYOH groups with only CSW pots. Also, bringing a hireling as your healing is generally frowned upon in most BYOH groups.

The solution for the class you picked is simply rogue splash for heal scrolls, half elf dilly for heal scrolls, or make your own group with a divine hireling/player.

I'd suggest a different class, like a barb who frankly is just as reliant on other players and can only use the means described above, but are actually far better than fighters. Past this, you could try a melee divine or a paladin/ranger. Paladins/rangers can easily be built to throw low mana 100+ cures by investing in their devotion line and getting a devotion item.
    If you can keep yourself alive with csw pots why would anyone blacklist you?
    I use them all the way up to cap.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123