Community Member

Default Easy Epic Shroud

An easy way to add an epic version of the Shroud:

Step 1) Epic difficulties, don't change anything, just up the difficulty accordingly the same way its done in many quests with an epic/heroic version.

Step 2) Epic Greensteels. Like heroic, the same ingredients drop in every difficulty level, but its a new set of ingredients. All these ingredients do is let you add augment slots to your greensteels, which also raise the ML to 20. Just the ability to add 2 or 3 augment slots to your greensteels could more than make them relevent again at endgame.

Also, with Epic Completionist coming out, a set of Epic Greensteels suddenly becomes useful as well. Just look at regular greensteel pre-MOTU; you have to be at our near cap to make it, but its ML12, its designed to be TR-twink gear. Epic Greensteel can get the same place: 8 levels from cap, overpowered at level, but give the epic shroud such a high difficulty you'd need to be 25 or 26 to get through it.

And the Shroud lives another day!

Your loot ideas are ok. But an epic GS wpn rly should have another die step or something. Perhaps the 1st tier adds a die, 2nd and 3rd add slots? For accessories, get 3 slots. Of give wpns 3 slots, but create a new red augment that adds to base wpn dmg

Seems a shame not to throw in any twists to the quest though.

Give Harry some new power or other. Or change the mechanics of the quest.

How about this: Combine parts 1 & 2 by dumping part 1 and adding the portals to part 2: must do portals and then crystal.

Then part 4 with some new Harry tactic.

Then combine parts 3 & 5 by putting the 4 mini-bosses in the hallways of the part 3. They keep respawning until puzzles are solved, and Harry and the rainbow both come when puzzles are solved. You have to have a running fight with Harry to keep ahead of the rainbow. Of course he'll need some epic DR vs pierce and some great energy absorption/immunities, just to prevent "shiradi/furyshot only" lfms Keep it a running battle, not a kiting battle. As an alternative perhaps just improve his "come hither" ability so that anyone who is out of melee range for longer than 8 seconds gets pulled back to him. (When I was a healer I wished I had this ability!)
    Bartylomaos and Fwelcyr, of Orien's Forever Knights
    Lag got you down? Do what I do and bring along a good book to read while playing DDO.

Community Member

I think instead of reworking something that already works and run the risk of causing it permanent damage, a new raid should be added that takes the strengths of the Shroud and runs with it.

Strengths being.
    - Numerous item types (weapons/accessories) can be crafted with effects specified by the crafter.
    - Numerous effect types allowing for varied end results.
    - Ingredients for these items/effects are not bound thus they become a currency/commodity. Shroud ingredients have a flexibility to them that extends beyond 1 item. Dragon scales are a one and done thing. (Additionally, shroud ingredients are useful in ToD)
    - Reward at each step of the way. One thing that makes the Shroud different from the other raids is that you gain a piece of raid related loot even on a wipe as long as you clear 1 phase. It is technically possible to get a tier 2 greensteel item without completing part 4. Thus failure has less of a sting, less perceived wasted time.
    - Ingredients available in other locations (Shav. quests and DA)

MA and LoB tried to replicate this but in my opinion failed because:
    - Too much is bound.
    - Things are tied to a specific raid. Weapons MA boost ingredients LoB
    - Relatively inflexible in growth.
    - Raid item advancement is all or nothing.

If they replicated what effectively makes the Shroud popular from a logistics standpoint. Then I think that would cause another raid with a high longevity.

My opinion is that epicing shroud and making the items higher ml will just require you to have 2 of everything Shroud for Tr path.
    If they added Cannith quests that gave khyber binding shards or elements then that may increase the popularity of LoB and MA (they are still needed for crafting)
    Make a new raid and new set of items/ingredients based off of what made shroud practical to run over and over.

Community Member

You could just about write a book on the ways MA/LoB failed to replace the shroud. Chapter 1: don't make the players run through 2 ******* instances every time they want to play.

A new raid on top of shroud that build's on it and replicates the same impressive features wouldn't be bad, although the whole point of this post was to recomend an easy(low development) apparoach: just upping the difficulty on the current raid could do that. I would not go with parowon's suggestions of making a ton of annoying changes. Its an extremly solid raid as it is.

Anyway, the basic problem with epic shroud: epic greensteels that are still ML12 would be ludicrously overpowered. Yes, making an ML20 version would mean having to have 2 of everything, but the ML20 one would actually be useful even up into the 25-28 region.

Another option would be to simply have the "epic" aspects of the greensteel stack locked until you hit 20. So same item, but you cannot use or benifit from the augments until you hit 20.

Community Member

There is already a candidate epic shroud that is available on Lammania periodically. When portals die they do 500 untyped damage.

There is also epic greensteel in the loot tables. Work is already done basically.

If this were to ever happen, the only change that would have to be made would be a base damage upgrade for the weapons.
    The Fockers of Argo
    Fuglymofo; LOOON; Hobaggin; Fuglyrobo; Buttscracher; Whoaa

Quote Originally Posted by LOOON375 View Post
    If this were to ever happen, the only change that would have to be made would be a base damage upgrade for the weapons.
    Which would no doubt take a mind numbing grind to achieve, with 'commendations' or whatever mechanic they use dropping rarely and only adding minor effects. I'd rather see new content with new items, suggestions like these really only encourage Turbine to create new cumbersome crafting systems with monetized shortcuts. I'd rather just pay for a new pack, Shroud has been done to death.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by GoRinNoSho View Post
    There is already a candidate epic shroud that is available on Lammania periodically. When portals die they do 500 untyped damage.

There is also epic greensteel in the loot tables. Work is already done basically.
    ok I'm curious: what are these epic greensteels like?

Quote Originally Posted by parowan View Post
    Your loot ideas are ok. But an epic GS wpn rly should have another die step or something. Perhaps the 1st tier adds a die, 2nd and 3rd add slots? For accessories, get 3 slots. Of give wpns 3 slots, but create a new red augment that adds to base wpn dmg

Seems a shame not to throw in any twists to the quest though.

Give Harry some new power or other. Or change the mechanics of the quest.

How about this: Combine parts 1 & 2 by dumping part 1 and adding the portals to part 2: must do portals and then crystal.

Then part 4 with some new Harry tactic.

Then combine parts 3 & 5 by putting the 4 mini-bosses in the hallways of the part 3. They keep respawning until puzzles are solved, and Harry and the rainbow both come when puzzles are solved. You have to have a running fight with Harry to keep ahead of the rainbow. Of course he'll need some epic DR vs pierce and some great energy absorption/immunities, just to prevent "shiradi/furyshot only" lfms Keep it a running battle, not a kiting battle. As an alternative perhaps just improve his "come hither" ability so that anyone who is out of melee range for longer than 8 seconds gets pulled back to him. (When I was a healer I wished I had this ability!)
    There's a bow that does blunt and a bow that does slash. Makes me laugh every time I hear the add more pierce dr suggestions. Not to mention all the people that seem to be upset that ranged is viable now after being so poor for so long.

Would be cool if you could get the Gauntlet inspired weapons that drop in part 1 of Shroud as end rewards.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by GoRinNoSho View Post
    Awesome! Man thats basically exactly what I had been suggesting... I wonder why they haven't rolled it out?

Community Member

I suspect because it is the only thing they've epic'd in that area and there'd be a general harumphing as to everything not being epic'd and fancy.

Maybe next bug fix update that results in an expansion.