Default EE Reclaiming the Rift: Party Survival

Wanted to get a take from others who have done their share of Epic Elite quests where your party is generally exposed with few to no bottlenecks, and mobs are plentiful.

A recent EE "Reclaiming the Rift" run with my guild was pretty horrific. My L25 Grandmaster/Earth Monk (700+ HP, 56 Stunning DC, 110 AC, 42 PRR, 45+ all saves, 12% Dodge, 20% perma-blur, 10% Ghostly, 150% fortification, lots of Store and Yugo pots for emergencies) held for a bit longer before I joined the slaughterfest that the dracoliths and enemy mages wrought. My toon has Twisted in Legendary Dreadnought and Unyielding Sentinel abilities with Grandmaster of Flowers to get the numbers above (deferring Imp Combat Exp for this run for 20 less PRR and adding Legendary Tactics for more DC). I have (if I've calculated right) a 400% healing amp on this human Light Monk and carry two Vampiric handwraps for up to 10 HP back per hit (helped a lot with Healing Ki in tow in some instances).

I've read quite a number of the EE survival stats and tips threads (this one was quite helpful, among others) that has had me update my advice, toons and gameplay for guildies as well as myself, and (as noted in my character's summary above) integrated as much of this into one toon as I could do as my guild continues its EE runs. Practice makes perfect. Some runs were quite good and some were more challenging. This one was a doozy.

I studied my combat log to see 130+ slashing damage from a dracolith. I know they're nasty, but wow. How does one thwart or avoid this with any damage absorption or avoidance? Or does better crowd-control or ranged/magic tactic offer something better? Dracoliths did seem vulnerable to good CC effects from Otto's to Fascinate.

I know that Monks suffer more against slashing damage than sword-and-boards (though I'd appreciate notes if your experience is otherwise and how you have resolved this), and we were a party with a lack of S&B that could concentrate aggro at the start, so I will admit that we were asking for it more than necessary by going in "light." (It was a slow guild day and we generally aren't PUGing.)

It was our Bard that slowed the crazy death-dealing with Fascinate spells to slow things down while we picked up our spleens and severed heads and limbs to return to some semblance of fighting. We did complete, but it certainly was ugly.

Advice and thoughts based on your experience in this specific quest (or other similar EEs) appreciated for damage, CC, aggro management, etc.

My toon is not multiclassed and likely won't be; I choose to get the most out of a single class in most of my builds, especially given the versatility of EDs that can add similar diversity.
    Last edited by Spencerian; 04-05-2013 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Noted Healing Amp and Vampiric weapons
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more
    (formerly known as Spencerian)

The end fight in this quest is arguably one of the hardest EE fights in the game so no shame on wiping here. The last 3 rounds can really be grim. Really good healing helps tremedously as well as a dedicated tanky type to hold aggro on big fellas. Unfortuanatly that stumning dc while very nice is probably around 60% against anything other than casters. my ftr/barb is at 60 and i miis sometimes on non casters. Anyways it is definatly a tough quest so keep working at it and if you fond any tips to make it easier i wouldnt mind knowing myself.

i've done this one a bunch of times. a few times was with no caster cc - i ranged and kited stuff with shiradi and did cc that way with some spot and self heals, and a tank took the leftovers. i've also done this with my sorc and cc makes this way easier. definitely never tank those guys face to face though on a monk.
    Scoobmx Scoobshot Arcscoob Beefscoob : Imperial Assassins : Argonnessen
    My Builds : Abbot Raid Manual : Weapon Damage Modeler : My Trades

Smoothest completion I've seen was an enchant based wiz, a shiradi caster druid using earth quake, a cleric healing, 1 barb, 1 rogue, and I think there was one something else. The wiz did otto's, the druid dropped earthquake to cc what the wizard missed and to get procs from earthquake/ice storm. After the majority of the melee enemies got in the cc the melee rushed out and stunning blowed the casters and took them out then killed the melee mobs. Was quick easy and efficient in that group.

Perch and range, like every EE.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencerian View Post
    Wanted to get a take from others who have done their share of Epic Elite quests where your party is generally exposed with few to no bottlenecks, and mobs are plentiful.

A recent EE "Reclaiming the Rift" run with my guild was pretty horrific. My L25 Grandmaster/Earth Monk (700+ HP, 56 Stunning DC, 110 AC, 42 PRR, 45+ all saves, 12% Dodge, 20% perma-blur, 10% Ghostly, 150% fortification, lots of Store and Yugo pots for emergencies) held for a bit longer before I joined the slaughterfest that the dracoliths and enemy mages wrought. My toon has Twisted in Legendary Dreadnought and Unyielding Sentinel abilities with Grandmaster of Flowers to get the numbers above (deferring Imp Combat Exp for this run for 20 less PRR and adding Legendary Tactics for more DC). I have (if I've calculated right) a 400% healing amp on this human Light Monk and carry two Vampiric handwraps for up to 10 HP back per hit (helped a lot with Healing Ki in tow in some instances).

I've read quite a number of the EE survival stats and tips threads (this one was quite helpful, among others) that has had me update my advice, toons and gameplay for guildies as well as myself, and (as noted in my character's summary above) integrated as much of this into one toon as I could do as my guild continues its EE runs. Practice makes perfect. Some runs were quite good and some were more challenging. This one was a doozy.

I studied my combat log to see 130+ slashing damage from a dracolith. I know they're nasty, but wow. How does one thwart or avoid this with any damage absorption or avoidance? Or does better crowd-control or ranged/magic tactic offer something better? Dracoliths did seem vulnerable to good CC effects from Otto's to Fascinate.

I know that Monks suffer more against slashing damage than sword-and-boards (though I'd appreciate notes if your experience is otherwise and how you have resolved this), and we were a party with a lack of S&B that could concentrate aggro at the start, so I will admit that we were asking for it more than necessary by going in "light." (It was a slow guild day and we generally aren't PUGing.)

It was our Bard that slowed the crazy death-dealing with Fascinate spells to slow things down while we picked up our spleens and severed heads and limbs to return to some semblance of fighting. We did complete, but it certainly was ugly.

Advice and thoughts based on your experience in this specific quest (or other similar EEs) appreciated for damage, CC, aggro management, etc.

My toon is not multiclassed and likely won't be; I choose to get the most out of a single class in most of my builds, especially given the versatility of EDs that can add similar diversity.
    Don't fight at the spawn point, pull back to where you drop down. We fought in that area with the ranged up top and only saw a 2-3 mobs at a time. Once there were a couple left, the monk and myself would just finish them off and I'd hit the portal.
    Arrael - Tempest/Kensai; Alyesia - Exploiter Build; Porksoda - WF FvS; Kaealla - Paladin; Arodeth - Envoker FvS

65-70 stun on pure monk (!)
    more dodge
    3 -5 displace clickies ( like every melee ) and UMD ( which you were against ) for displace scrolls, shield scrolls, heal scrolls. I have a crush on dark monks though.

Enchant caster, bunch of Shiradis ? Shortman for smaller spawns.
    Shahang Nezhat Bellezza Wipekin Farida of Ghallanda

Glad to hear the responses. It seems, then, it's a quest designed to challenge melee tactics. Too bad the walkthrough on DDO Wiki wasn't as detailed on this. Comments also fit with how well-built casters, Bards and ranged fighters can limit the mobbing and peel them off one at a time. Given we were light on ranged work (shy of our ki attacks here and there), it makes perfect sense why we had a harder time than not.

Makes me wonder how well things go in "Caught in the Web," at it seems to have a similar makeup (but haven't had a chance to run there, yet).
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Spencerian View Post
    Too bad the walkthrough on DDO Wiki wasn't as detailed on this.
    DDOWiki pages are created by players - like you. Most of the U14-U17 quest pages are in pretty sorry shape because there's no one bothering to edit them for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    DDOWiki pages are created by players - like you. Most of the U14-U17 quest pages are in pretty sorry shape because there's no one bothering to edit them for the most part.
    I know. I'm a very frequent contributor to the Monk articles and a few quest articles.

EiN the last wave. Get casters to dot-kite end draegloth. Collect loot.
    Last edited by DarkForte; 04-05-2013 at 04:18 PM.
    Nerdrage/Endgame ~ Sarlona
    Ekkehart (human PM) - Hammet (WF AM) - Cerussite (helf THF kensei) - Anordineth (helf dark monk)
    Buy my stuff!

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

As a general rule of thumb, for any dungeon that you are worried about getting beat up in.... especially by a large number of monsters....

Back up.

Back up often.

Move forward very slowly.

As soon as you see any of the monsters react to your presense... back up.....

Let as few as possible come to you.

Do not range them to pull them, this usually agroes many (before U17.1 when they broke detenction anyway)

Let them see you... barely.....

Can also use Bluff to single pull.

Fall back...
    Fight only what is curently agroed on you.

This sounds so easy, but my experience is that players always.
    ALWAYS
    run forward to fight the monsters, and end up agroing everything in a room, instead of falling back and bringing only a few to you.

Note: falling back, after you have let the entire room see you is a lot less effective.

It is the initial agro you need to limit, and go put you rbacks to a wall, and
    just
    let
    the monsters
    come
    to you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

For pugs you need a group where everyone is pulling their weight. Everyone needs to contribute at least one thing well. I joined a very average pug for this today on my Wizard. I was CC'ing 75% of the trash or grabbing aggro and perching in Ice Storm. Most of the group struggled and there were multiple deaths. The DPS was quite low and mobs took too long to kill. Progress was slow but steadily until half way through the last wave, when my PC crashed.

When I came back 5 minutes later they had of course wiped badly. It's not the kind of quest you can expect to be carried though. Groups shouldn't be so fragile as to fall over almost as soon as a single member is out of the action. But too often you see it happen in pugs and if I could see the details of their builds, I don't think I'd be too surprised at how unprepared some of the toons attempting quests like this are.