Default Exploiter type w/ wraps ... go AA instead of Tempest?

About to TR someone else, wanting to go more ranger than previous. Got a mess of wraps and related gear and I don't think they work w/ Tempest. Was thinking of doing an exploiter, but with wraps should I just go w/ Arcane Archer ... or is Tempest working with wraps now?
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Community Member

Meh, depends what else you have to spend your points on. If there's literally nothing better, then yeah AA lets you at least make slightly better use of your Manyshot for pulling and softening targets while they close to melee range. Assuming you're not taking Zen Arch and 10KS for a Monkcher style, in which case then yes go AA.

But its probably not worth the enhancement points alone, let alone the Mental Toughness prereq. Probably better to just skip the PrEs entirely since neither does much for you. Improved Conc or Balance would be a more useful way to spend your points than AA, for example.
    Last edited by droid327; 04-05-2013 at 11:45 PM.

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Probably better to just skip the PrEs entirely since neither does much for you. Improved Conc or Balance would be a more useful way to spend your points than AA, for example.
    Seriously? I don't think there is a single build in ALL of DDO that would benefit from IMP: concentration/balance... There would most certainly always be a better way to spend those points.

OP:
    What kind of build are you going for exactly?
    Class Split? Purpose? Endgame focused, or just a pastlife build?
    More specifics would be nice.

I can say, last time I tried it Tempest only worked while dual wielding. IE> Longswords, Khopesh, Kama, ETC.
    So, if you have just a bunch of handwraps, then No.. Tempest would probably not be the best PRE choice.
    I'd say do something like:
    (all these assume either Elf, or Helf)

11Ranger/7Monk/2Arti
    AA - Save a feat from AA Pre-req with the Enegery of Creation(?) from arti levels.
    All ranged/TWF feats for free, as well as 10Kstars, tier2 Earth/Water/Air stances, and Dark Monk Pre.

11Ranger/6Monk/3Rogue
    Pretty much the same thing as above, except you either have to have take Mental Toughness, or Sorc past life..
    This build nets you a lot more SA damage though.

17Ranger/2Monk/1Rouge/Arti
    Again, I'd go AA. Would play more like a pure Ranger than anything else.
    Max str, Con, Rest into dex/int. Melee with wraps when Manyshot is on timer.

IMHO Tempest just isn't worth it at all if you aren't dual wielding. You could go whirling Steel Strike if you have some good longswords, but that seems to be a pretty unpopular choice on the forums.
    Last edited by TheLegendOfAra; 04-06-2013 at 01:19 AM.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life 8/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendOfAra View Post
    OP:
    What kind of build are you going for exactly?
    Class Split? Purpose? Endgame focused, or just a pastlife build?
    More specifics would be nice.
    Exploiter, so Ranger 18 / Monk 1 / Rogue 1

I can say, last time I tried it Tempest only worked while dual wielding. IE> Longswords, Khopesh, Kama, ETC.
    Was this recently?
    So, if you have just a bunch of handwraps, then No.. Tempest would probably not be the best PRE choice.
    I'd say do something like:
    (all these assume either Elf, or Helf)

11Ranger/7Monk/2Arti
    AA - Save a feat from AA Pre-req with the Enegery of Creation(?) from arti levels.
    All ranged/TWF feats for free, as well as 10Kstars, tier2 Earth/Water/Air stances, and Dark Monk Pre.

11Ranger/6Monk/3Rogue
    Pretty much the same thing as above, except you either have to have take Mental Toughness, or Sorc past life..
    This build nets you a lot more SA damage though.

17Ranger/2Monk/1Rouge/Arti
    Again, I'd go AA. Would play more like a pure Ranger than anything else.
    Max str, Con, Rest into dex/int. Melee with wraps when Manyshot is on timer.

IMHO Tempest just isn't worth it at all if you aren't dual wielding. You could go whirling Steel Strike if you have some good longswords, but that seems to be a pretty unpopular choice on the forums.
    Not going to do those splits. Been there, done that. Going classic exploiter. Thanks for the opinion though.

Anyone else know if Tempest is still broken w/ wraps?
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Define "broken." Last I checked, the offhand proc bonus from Tempest I/II applies to handwraps, but none of the other bonuses do; AFAIK, this is WAI as they specifically say, "while dual-wielding."