Default End game class, Sorc or Wiz, cast your vote for me please

Past lives complete
    Cleric x3
    Fvs x3
    Wiz x3
    Barb x3
    Sorc x1

currently on sorc level 15

the plan was 3 sorc then back to wiz for end game, seems that sorc is better than wiz at the moment so unsure whether to stay sorc for now and wait a bit to go to wizard (i must admit i enjoy wizards more) or do as I planned.

With eds as they are do sorcs really get a much better deal right now?

Have an opinion or just cast your vote if you like.

Sorc or Wiz

Thanks
    Crib Goch

They are both pretty comparable at the moment. It's hard to say that one is flat out better than the other, and likely they're both situationally better than the other depending on the quest.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Crib View Post
    Past lives complete
    Cleric x3
    Fvs x3
    Wiz x3
    Barb x3
    Sorc x1

currently on sorc level 15

the plan was 3 sorc then back to wiz for end game, seems that sorc is better than wiz at the moment so unsure whether to stay sorc for now and wait a bit to go to wizard (i must admit i enjoy wizards more) or do as I planned.

Have an opinion or just cast your vote if you like.

Sorc or Wiz

Thanks
    They are pretty much the same atm, i prefer wiz for myself though, more feats + spells.

Community Member

I would say sorc/pal has better overall saves & knockdown immune and better burst.
    Wiz(/rogue) has trapping & evasion or CC and better long run sustenance with his sla.

So if you like to zerg, dont have probs with timing traps and dont want to nuke every single mob go for Sorc.
    If you like it a bit slower and or have probs with traps and or want extra cc go for Wiz.

Both are best in Shirady, forget everything else.
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Daemoneyes View Post
    Both are best in Shirady, forget everything else.
    Until it is nerfed. Really I wouldn't try to build a character around one specific ED. Better to build a character you feel you will enjoy without having to worry that it will stop being viable tomorrow because Turbine nerfed it.

Sorc or Wiz
    Favored Soul.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Community Member

depends in your play style

if your a 1 trick pony or new to the game than yeah a wizard if you want to do everything a sorc

why?

faster casting lower cooldowns everything else is achievable by both

I say this because I can switch from wizard to sorc no problems but playing a sorc for a while I find wizards slow and clunky

before you point to my join date I transfered from the EU server my start date should be late 2006 early 2007
    Last edited by 5chinoble; 04-09-2013 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 5chinoble View Post
    if your a 1 trick pony or new to the game than yeah a wizard if you want to do everything a sorc
    I think you have that backwards.

Wizards are much more versatile than sorcs, due to extra feats, and many more spell slots.

Sorcs tend to be 1 trick casters, focusing on one element at the exclusion of others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    Grease is the only party buff
    Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    talk about your exploits
    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    DDO is not PnP. This is by design

Community Member

Playing through a life of sorc, loving it too.

That being said my main is a wizard, and frankly he's wicked awesome. No shridai champion for me though....

Since you've played through wizard already, and are working on sorc I suggest to you to pick the one you found more fun and go with it. Also, whatever it is, with those PL's it'll be easy enough no matter what

Karnasis (Human Wizard, Pale Master, Level 27), Taldall (Half-Orc, Monk- Perpetually abandoned)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by gphysalis View Post
    I think you have that backwards.

Wizards are much more versatile than sorcs, due to extra feats, and many more spell slots.

Sorcs tend to be 1 trick casters, focusing on one element at the exclusion of others.
    thats down to players focusing just one element

main reason I said 1 trick pony was wizards dont have the casting speed and reduced cooldowns to be able to effectively cc, debuff and blast away consistanly for the whole quest

you will eventually get to a stage of having spells for every situation and even on my wizard I cant remember the last time I wanted to change my spell

on paper it looks like more spells + more feats = more versatility

but whats the point if you cant do it quick enough to be effective or enough sp to do it all

the game is now played at a very fast paced sorry to say wizards are just too sluggish to do it all

I'm in the same boat you are. Just finished a Sorc life for a past life (18 Sorc/2 Pally). But Shirardi is so far ahead of DC casting in EGH that I'm staying a Shirardi Sorc to farm EGH while waiting to see what U18 brings.

I'm hoping that outrageous saves is unique to EGH, not the sign of all future end game content.

Once I see what U18 does for end game gear and for viability of DC casting, I'll either resume my plan to be a necro dc wiz or stay in Shirardi Sorc to continue to farm gear.

If I end up in Shirardi as my longer term direction, I'll do another wiz life and switch to Evoker Archmage. I think Sorc/Shirardi and Wiz/Shirardi are pretty even, but I prefer the flexibilty of the spell and feat selection for the wiz. that's just a personal preference, they are pretty even in terms of effectiveness right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryiah View Post
    Until it is nerfed. Really I wouldn't try to build a character around one specific ED.
    Agreed. Unless you really have that kind of time. I imagine there will be changes to ED with the enhancement pass coming "Soon".
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    We are not working with the aliens to send messages that are picked up by your microwaved meatloaf dinner. At least I don't think so...
    Proud member of Tyrs Paladium

Community Member

As long as the endgame mobs remain as squishy as they are today: 7k hp mobs, 150k hp bosses, sorcerers are much more useful than wizards for fast parties, if you are good at playing them. In the end, pick the class that you play better.

If you are good at juggling clickie cooldowns debuffing bosses and maximizing burst damage, stay sorcerer.

If you are good at attacking the right saves on the right mobs for the right reasons, go wizard.
    Kmnh * Kmn * Kmm * Knn * Knm

Leader of Templar

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryiah View Post
    Until it is nerfed. Really I wouldn't try to build a character around one specific ED. Better to build a character you feel you will enjoy without having to worry that it will stop being viable tomorrow because Turbine nerfed it.
    As if any other ED as Arcane would be useful now :P
    DI is ok for epic hard but i wouldnt want to use it for EE. (every goddamn DI is melee range << )
    Magister is meh and only "worth" using as PM but even so its EH maximal, for EE you need so much equip & PL and you will still end up worse then even a nerfed Shirady.
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TPICKRELL View Post
    If I end up in Shirardi as my longer term direction, I'll do another wiz life and switch to Evoker Archmage. I think Sorc/Shirardi and Wiz/Shirardi are pretty even, but I prefer the flexibilty of the spell and feat selection for the wiz. that's just a personal preference, they are pretty even in terms of effectiveness right now.
    This is exactly where I am. I've got 3 wizard lives in the can already and just capped my first sorc life about a month after EGH hit. Long-term if Shiradi's the way to go I'll probably settle on an AM Evoker just because I like having more spells and more selection among those spells. If they move away from Shiradi then I'll probably do another couple sorc pl's and then settle into something else that interests me.

On a side note, I know that people criticize Shiradi as an 'easy button'. Maybe it is. But my first life on this toon years ago was a WF'd AM Evoker. This was back before they split force and repair lines and they hadn't yet nerfed the cooldowns on the evoker SLA's. That was by far my favorite toon I've played. It didn't kill things quickly but it could plink away forever. And if there was a big group you jump backwards in a circle around them and chain missile them into the ground. It's so nice to have my favorite toon back.
    Tajawuka 9 monk/8 ranger/3 arti AA (3 ranger/monk/fighter pl's) - Toolbots working on Morninglord Cleric life #2 (3 wizard/sorc/druid pl) - Evisra 28 rogue

if you asking this question, then advice is definitely sorc.

I think WF Wizzard is better.

Why?
    Well:
    1. Damage in shiradi and mana -> free magic missiles line on evo wizzard win this totally for me. Sorc will get out of mana fast and wf evo archmage wont.
    2. You can do instantkills and CC for most EH content and some EE content. So ure not one trick pony.
    3. I guess somewhere there devs are discussing nerf to shiradi but boost to DC spellcasting.
    4. Wizz has more feats so if ure going to do e.g. pure shiradi build then:
    a) can take and use insiftgfull reflexes
    b) wizz twisted energy burst may more often hit for full dmg due to higher int.

So overall for me wizz is just more flexible and in king-dps now shiradi build will manage with their mana better.

Im a little sad I cant play one of these builds cause I hate WF looks... Im a female and I totally hate looking like male with no hair. But I guess turbine is never going to add some body types to WFs or add new repairable race (tho I dont heard about any existing besides WF but my knowledge bout DnD is rather small). So I guess Ill have to live with it to the end of DDO.

May I suggest.....

JUGGERNAUT!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 5chinoble View Post
    thats down to players focusing just one element

main reason I said 1 trick pony was wizards dont have the casting speed and reduced cooldowns to be able to effectively cc, debuff and blast away consistanly for the whole quest

you will eventually get to a stage of having spells for every situation and even on my wizard I cant remember the last time I wanted to change my spell

on paper it looks like more spells + more feats = more versatility

but whats the point if you cant do it quick enough to be effective or enough sp to do it all

the game is now played at a very fast paced sorry to say wizards are just too sluggish to do it all
    speed is different than versatility

The faster casting speed and reduced cooldowns let sorcs spam their one trick repeatedly.

The game being played at a fast pace is player playstyle

As a sorc, you can go in and nuke stuff

As a wizard, that often isn't the best choice due to mana restrictions and casting speed.
    The advantage of having more spells is adapting to situations, such as preparing ooze puppet for enter the kobold.
    Often the best way to deal with beholders is to cast finger of death with the double range metamagic.

The current endgame is very small, which means that after picking a good spell selection, you don't really need to swap them out.

Overall, I would recommend sorc, for many reasons:
    1. More SP
    2. Faster casting times and reduced cooldowns
    3. Air savant for wings

Wizard does have advantages:
    1. More 9th level spells (Running around with PWK, Wail, Mass Hold, and Energy drain)
    2. archmage for free metamagic on magic missile
    3. more feats

Ultimately OP, if you like wizard more, you should play that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    Grease is the only party buff
    Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    talk about your exploits
    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    DDO is not PnP. This is by design

Community Member

I am doing the same thing currently except I have less lives. Went Fvsx3, Sorc, Wizx2- still on my 2nd wiz life lv18 atm. Going back for 2 more sorc lives.

I like Sorcerer more because of the cooldowns, SP, and speed of casting. Wizards are more efficient with SP. But, I'm forever on pots so running out of sp doesnt mean anything to me.

Community Member

Keep in mind while doing your final life planning that "right now" does not have the Enhancement Trees. Hard to speculate at all what builds will be good after this summer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast