On A Sailing Ship To Nowhere, Leaving Anyplace...

Default Give The Jeweler's Tool Kit More Versatility - A Money Maker For Turbine?

The Jeweler's Tool Kit is a neat, if moderately expensive, limited use item. I'm not sure I'd ever buy them, but you never know. I think I would consider it more if they had more functionality.

I got to thinking about augment slots and I realized that there might be many items out there with guild slots that people wished had the new augment slots and that there may be some who like their old guild slot items, but wish they could get them on the newer drops. There might also be those who wish that they had a different color slot on their newer slotted gear. They killed new drops of guild slot items, but the code is still there, so we could conceivably craft our own if they let us.

What if they made it so that the Jeweler's Tool Kit was able to change the size/color of a slot and also allowed conversion from colored to guild slot? I haven't done a serious comparison of value of size/color vs TP's spent on uses of the kits, and any final cost would be up to Turbine, but it could look something like this:

Upgrade Tiny Guild Slot to Small Guild Slot = 1 tool

Upgrade Small Guild Slot to Medium Guild Slot = 1 tool

Upgrade Medium Guild Slot to Large Guild Slot = 1 tool

Change a Large Guild Augment Slot into a Colorless Augment Slot or vice-versa = 2 tools*

Change a Colorless Slot into a Yellow, Blue or Red Slot = 2 tools*

Change a Yellow, Blue or Red Slot into a Yellow, Blue or Red Slot = 1 tool*

Change a Yellow, Blue or Red Slot into a Green, Orange or Purple Slot = 2 tools*

*The slot would have to be empty in order to perform this work so if there is an augment slotted there goes another tool.

I suppose they could allow downgrading of guild slots to smaller sizes too, but I'm not sure if anyone would really do it.
    Last edited by Ganolyn; 04-04-2013 at 02:32 PM.
    Anál nathrach
    orth’ bháis’s bethad
    do chél dénmha

Community Member

Not sure if I should /sign or not.

The Pros: it's really a sound idea, and really meshes well with the revamping of Augments, allowing upgrading Guild Augment Slots to the new versions.

The Cons: ...if you pay real money for that, which really tastes bad because it feels like "Pay 2 Win". It apparently ignores the existing effect, which is to safely remove augments, in case you want to use the item for a different (or better) augment. And it sorta kills the fun of finding random augmented items, because you can simply buy on the (AS)AH a weaker one and transform it into the one you like. It's twice as worse when you can shift the slots of existing content, so you can turn, say, a Blue Slot into a Purple or Green Slot, which is definitely better. It will promote checking very specific items, which diminishes the worth of others that are balanced by their slots.

I might be ignoring a few pros, but it seems the Cons are too overwhelming, particularly if it's limited to the DDO Store. It REALLY reeks of P2W, and that's something that shouldn't be allowed by any means. So, for the moment, /not signed. Maybe if it's refined, because for some reason it has merit, but as it stands...

As things stand I will NEVER buy a Jeweller's Tool Kit!

Just like I'll NEVER buy a Rest of the Eladrin Statue or Multiple other items on the DDOStore!

I will never again buy an Efreeti Repair Shop after seeing the ridiculous prices he charges!

Some of these items can and should be made to be more useful! As things stand they are basically newbie traps!

Spirit Cakes could do with being brought down in price btw - These could be a HUGE seller for Turbine if they weren't so insanely expensive!
    75 TP instead of 150 and I'd be astonished if the Store ONLY sold Double what they currently sell {it'd probably be more like 5 times the amount!}.

P.S. Spirit Cakes still don't work as advertised for Hirelings!

I like the OP's ideas for the Jeweller's Tool Kit {especially for Guild Augments!} so /Signed
    Deathblock btw is currently a Store only Augment {Lol at Random Drop - I have 24 Characters on Cannith alone} {And yes I have Bought DB Augments!}.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganolyn View Post
    I suppose they could allow downgrading of guild slots to smaller sizes too, but I'm not sure if anyone would really do it.
    I'd do it!

My Guild on Cannith is Lvl 49 {We're never going to be a LARGE Guild!}.

Large Guild Augments are USELESS to me {and strangely hard to sell} - Mediums however are NOT!

Quote Originally Posted by TGOskar View Post
    Not sure if I should /sign or not.

The Pros: it's really a sound idea, and really meshes well with the revamping of Augments, allowing upgrading Guild Augment Slots to the new versions.

The Cons: ...if you pay real money for that, which really tastes bad because it feels like "Pay 2 Win". It apparently ignores the existing effect, which is to safely remove augments, in case you want to use the item for a different (or better) augment. And it sorta kills the fun of finding random augmented items, because you can simply buy on the (AS)AH a weaker one and transform it into the one you like. It's twice as worse when you can shift the slots of existing content, so you can turn, say, a Blue Slot into a Purple or Green Slot, which is definitely better. It will promote checking very specific items, which diminishes the worth of others that are balanced by their slots.

I might be ignoring a few pros, but it seems the Cons are too overwhelming, particularly if it's limited to the DDO Store. It REALLY reeks of P2W, and that's something that shouldn't be allowed by any means. So, for the moment, /not signed. Maybe if it's refined, because for some reason it has merit, but as it stands...

Well whether you pay a player virtual money for it on the AH or Turbine real money for it, you didn't really get it in the traditional way, but I see your point. I see very nice items every day on the AH, if I want to pay millions of plat for it.
    Anál nathrach
    orth’ bháis’s bethad
    do chél dénmha

Community Member

Kits are way to expensive for what they are. As it is, I'd only ever bother to use one if I got that one ludicrously rare augment that gives +1 stacking to all stats.

Even with all of your proposed changes... still way to expensive. The guild augment system was broken to begin with, replacing it with the new system was designed to allow it to die the slow, painful death it deserves.

But even with the only the ability to change around augment slot colors, the kit is just too expensive. It provides a huge advantage that can only reasonably be obtained with actual $$, and while I don't openly oppose P2W tactictics, this is just a little too much.

If the price per kit were dropped to, say, 250 TP(fairly easy to obtain through favor-grinding), that would give the kit some much needed utility. Heck just drop the price to that of a yellow dopant(395) and you've got a deal for a one-time-use item.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterjWizzard View Post
    Kits are way to expensive for what they are. As it is, I'd only ever bother to use one if I got that one ludicrously rare augment that gives +1 stacking to all stats.

Even with all of your proposed changes... still way to expensive. The guild augment system was broken to begin with, replacing it with the new system was designed to allow it to die the slow, painful death it deserves.

But even with the only the ability to change around augment slot colors, the kit is just too expensive. It provides a huge advantage that can only reasonably be obtained with actual $$, and while I don't openly oppose P2W tactictics, this is just a little too much.

If the price per kit were dropped to, say, 250 TP(fairly easy to obtain through favor-grinding), that would give the kit some much needed utility. Heck just drop the price to that of a yellow dopant(395) and you've got a deal for a one-time-use item.

You can buy tools singularly or in stacks. For a one time augment recovery it costs 150 TP. Not cheap, but not too bad if you really want the augment.
    Anál nathrach
    orth’ bháis’s bethad
    do chél dénmha

Store bought jeweler's kits are at a price point where they are only useful for removing and reslotting extremely rare named augments. At this time there are only 2 of these so the use is extremely limited. Toolkits are available in the daily dice rarely, but often enough that they find their way onto the AH with a price point which is reasonable for the purpose outlined above. For this reason, I can't see buying one from the store right now.

If we get to the point where rare augments need to be reslotted occasionally, then perhaps sales will pick up, but I've personally been hoarding any I've found on the AH for cheap in anticipation of that sort of thing.

As for the suggestion allowing upgrading of slots, I'd be hesitant to agree to it. It blows away any incentive to run epic hard or elite content and instead buy your way into better slotted gear. I'm not a fan of that. In addition, for some reason, blue slots are very rare on non named loot. As in, you can get them on armor and shields only, which means that for whatever reason, non named loot has a limitation on how many blue augments you can use (which are oddly enough, the ones many people want multiples of). Because of this seemingly intentional decision to make blue slots more rare than yellow or colorless (which came at the same time as moving many effects into blue) I can't see the devs wanting to throw all that rebalancing away if someone drops a few $ in the store. I wouldn't put it past them, but it would seem like a waste.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

/not signed sorry

getting a XX with colour slot into a guild slot is game breaking, simply because guild bonus stacks with gear, colour slots don't, that's the reason to the boost that some items received(some even got that "not needed enchant" into an "already slotted augment")

this way turbine would have prolly more guild slots than now lol (i love guild slots, but think they removed em for some reason, hopefully the vendors are in house K yet XD)

thinks like "can slot large guild gem in medium guild slot" i dunno if would be game breaking, my guild has access to em an well, it's 5 more hp or 20 more sp than medium slot, so not sure if it worths spending tp on em
    psykopeta - hoarding pl, for the sake of hoarding, the day i become ubercompletionist will be because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS i'm not a pro, maybe if i reincarnate in RL...

Community Member

No way. This would completely break the balance between different items.
    Ceruleus ~ Nnomad ~ Nnia ~ Nnurgh ~ Cynnical
    Cannith

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ganolyn View Post
    You can buy tools singularly or in stacks. For a one time augment recovery it costs 150 TP. Not cheap, but not too bad if you really want the augment.
    Ahhh, I apparently misread the price, I thought they were like 750tp.

Any amount of TP is a lot compared to relatively plentiful plat. Even at the semi-reasonable conversion rate of 1tp = 1kpp, its easier to rebuy most augments than to reslot them. And thats just at a conversion based on the typical sale price of raid bypass tokens. A lot of players won't blink at spending 4-500k on a good augment but will never plunk down a single TP for anything.

However, the reasonable price-point gives your idea some merrit. Still /not signed, the guild augment system needs to be left alone to wither and die.