Default Paladin - Smite Evil

I think it would be great if this ability worked like Adrenaline from Fury of the Wild, where you activate it and then its bonus applies on your next hit within a certain small time frame, instead of just an attack that doesn't go off if you miss or aren't close enough to hit.

Thoughts?

Not a bad idea, but I don't really see a need for it. It would be a minor change with no real driving reason to implement. Sort of a "happy to glad" change.
    Someone got it wrong. Everyone expected the Spanish Inquisition because they were required to give 30 days notice, by law.
    I can be found on Orien. My more active toons are Cilon, Solstone in Your Pack, and sometimes Acroyer.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSpacePony View Post
    Not a bad idea, but I don't really see a need for it. It would be a minor change with no real driving reason to implement. Sort of a "happy to glad" change.
    If it were changed to be like the OP said, then one could use Cleave, Great Cleave or even Whirlwind attack as a Smite Evil. You'd be able to smite multiple opponents at once!

Community Member

Don't see it happening

I think Smite evil should be reworked though. +1[w] per 2 paladin levels. So, at 20, a pure paladin would gain +10[w]. The scaling is a bit smaller in average damage, but it allows higher damage rates, and for damage to change with weapon.

Also, If they were to change an ability to work on next attack, they should change divine sacrifice.

Perhaps I'm used to the way it works now, but I think pressing a single button to do your smite attack works just fine. Smite and exhalted smite, divine might and the other Pally enhancements are in a bad need of an update.
    Aryk Stoutheart, Vanguard Paladin
    Grolyn Stoutheart, Divine Disciple Cleric
    Rindyl Twirliblade, Elven Swashbuckler

Community Member

I think many aspects of paladins are in need of a update just to catch up to the other classes.
    First thought on smite and exalted smite, yes make it the next attack. Paladins dps is so far behind all other melee classes even with divine might and divine favor. Giving the opportunity to smite with cleave still wouldn't bring up to par but would help.

Divine Grace: Make this benefit incremental so the more levels you have of paladin the stronger it gets until full benefit at lvl 20. Give the paladin a dr/"lawful good" (which would also include damage from spells from non lawful good creatures)equal to the benefit they receive from divine grace.

Divine light + Divine sacrifice: Make these a 1 purchase enhancement that does a base damage that increases in damage with more levels in paladin. Im not going to waste 6 ap just to do 18-108 points damage to undead when a disruption item and cleave will perform as well or better. Make divine light do damage vs all that are susceptible. Make divine light and divine sacrifice augmentable via radiance sp enhancers and meta's like maximize or empower.

Divine Might: Besides the boost to damage, give a melee alacrity boost as well as a doublestrike % equal to the damage boost. Iow DMI= +2damage, +2% melee alacrity and doublestrike, DMIV:+8 damage,+8% alacrity and doublestrike.

Paladin Devotion: Increases spellpower by 20 when casting positive or light based spells(thus affecting divine light and divine sacrifice).

New enhancement: Improved Lay on Hands: The effectiveness of your lay on hands is increased by your positive energy spellpower added on. Example: Level 20 paladin with 80 positive spellpower and 30 charisma= [(10 + 20) x 10] + 80, for a total of 380 points of positive healing/damage.

Just a few ideas ive had on getting pally's on the ball.

Uh...I don't think paladins need steroids to quite that degree. There have been many other threads discussing these same things, some of which I've started, and others I've commented in.

In short(ish):

1. Smite evil enhancement line that adds rider effects, such as Fortification reduction, stunning, banishing, some other debuffs.
    2. Maybe a DoT attached to smite to extend its damage a little.
    3. Conversely, have smite act as a short duration buff to all of your attacks for, say, 3 seconds.
    4. Enhancement line to regenerate Lay On Hands earlier than level 21.
    5. Built-in bonuses, or enhancements, to improve self-cast Cure spells
    6. Some additional features/enhancements that play up the paladin's survivability and roles as a damage-soak, self-healer, and party buffer via auras, such as...
    7. Enhancements or class bonus feats that improve the paladin's aura to grant bonuses on attack and damage vs. evil (maybe with a duration), fast healing (maybe), PRR, or some other effects.
    8. Fix Divine Might to have a much faster activation animation, or allow additional applications to stack their durations so you can activate it a few times to last for a few minutes.
    9. Scale Divine Sacrifice a bit better, or drop the 2nd and 3rd tiers.
    10. Grant some bonus feats as part of the paladin PrEs, or as 2-point enhancements (I'd recommend Shield Mastery, ISM, and Improved Shield Bash for the Defender line).

Remember: paladins aren't barbarians, and they shouldn't doing as much DPS as barbarians. They need to have their DPS improved enough that they can fill the martial DPS slot for a party reasonably well, with big burst DPS vs. evil enemies, and with a minor specialization in dealing with undead and evil outsiders (and maybe evil dragons as well). Their DPS should be about even with the ranger's (not the current ranger, but after that class gets some buffing). Then they need their other roles filled out a bit more robustly to cover self-healing, party support (emergency healing, secondary healer, aura-buffing, spell-buffing, status ailment removal), immunities, and defenses (saves, PRR, AC, HP, DR).

Remember, paladins already have a lot of tools at their disposal. They don't need, for example, an almost unbeatable DR that rivals that of barbarians. They already have the Angel Skin spell for DR 5/Evil.
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Interesting suggestions.

However, I'm just looking for a way to not "waste" a smite when the mob I'm attacking isn't quite where it looks like it is due to server lag.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSpacePony View Post
    Mobs will stand toe to toe and duke it out, but have an uncanny ability to retreat just as smite is activated.

Or, you charge in and hit smite and a box 25 feet behind and off to the right will break and the mob standing right in front of you takes no damage. kinda annoying after the thousandth time.

Ditto, monk's touch of death.

I think the easiest Smite-saver is an "Great Smiting" enhancement (in ED or using new AP system at lvl 20).
    http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Great_Smiting

Great Smiting [Epic]

Prerequisites
    Cha 25, smite ability (from class feature or domain granted power).
    Benefit
    Whenever the character makes a successful smite attack, add twice the appropriate level to damage (rather than just the character’s level).
    Special
    A character may select this feat multiple times. Its effects stack. Remember that two doublings equals a tripling, and so forth.

Of coz, the CHA needs to be lower to be realistic in DDO. And let the enhancement to go as much as 4x dmg depending on points spent in.
    Last edited by Tom_Hunters; 04-12-2013 at 10:27 PM.