Lightbulb A way to add familiars into DDO

So I had an idea about familiars, we know from the PAX interview that Turbine said that familiars were probably not something that would work in DDO because of the way they are designed in D&D.

Ok understandable, so throw out the book, and redefine the way they work.

So here is my idea:

The familiar would work like a cross between a pet and a companion, it would follow the wizard using the same technology that a companion does, and not be targetable by enemies, nor would it have an interaction bar, but it would be customizable.

For even greater fun, have a list of different familiar archetypes to choose from; a cat, an owl, a weasel, a sprite, etc.…

First add a “pet” tab similar to the ones Druids and Artis have. This is were you customize and name the familiar.
    For each level of arcane a toon has you get one point to spend on your familiar.
    The things you can spend points on would be skills, saves, and one special ability.
    All skills would be available to spend points on, concentration, swim, tumble, spot, etc. …
    Saves, would be reflex, will, and fortification.
    The special ability would be something like; long strider, water breathing, or something similar.

Now the way the points are spent are similar to fate points, for example:
    Base cost for the first skill point would be one, the second two, the third three, etc.…
    So if you want a plus 3 to your concentration you would spend a total of six points to get it.

Save points would work the same way but have a base cost of three points, so to get a plus 2 to your will save you would spend seven points.

And finally the special ability would have a cost of five points; you could only have one special and no upgrades to it.

These buffs would be a new type called "familiar buff" so they would stack with all existing buff types.

The range of these buffs would be the same as a Paladin’s aura and work basically the same way, i.e. if a party member is in range they get the buffs if not they do not.

Other than the new buff type, none of these suggestions require any new technology than what is already in the game; they would just have to be used differently than they currently are. Also by making the point cost additive it would keep the familiar’s buffs from becoming overpowered.

So what do you think, workable or not?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
    I just don't think it's right to make fun of DDO's NPCs. Infractions for everyone!

I think that where there is a will there is a way. And after eight years, Turbine has shown that they have no will in putting Familiars into the game.That being said, I'd still like to see them, as would many/most players who've tried pen and paper D&D.

I've also thought that the idea of a Familiar providing buffs as opposed to an Artificer's mutt or the Druid's wolf would be the way to go. I think they should offer additional spell-power and metamagic buffs rather then things like skill buffs (except maybe Concentration), enhancing saving-throws, or other effects like Water Breathing or Fortification. And I don't think they should ever effect the whole party - just the caster themselves.

I'd like to see a Familiar add benefits to their master like: Insightful Improved <metamagic> I-IV, Insightful Deadly <element + kinetics>, Insightful <element+force+repair> Spellcasting... and so on. Things that would make the caster better at doing what they do best. And these benefits should only be active while the caster has them actively summoned.

And they should still be subject to enemy attacks, as they are in PnP. And with harmful effects to the caster if killed - as in PnP (and Druid and Arty pet death). This would add a risk vs reward aspect to using Familiars. I also don't think that a DDO arcane caster should have the option to have 1 resurrection for their Familiar... rather they are dead till the caster shrines next.

That's how I'd do it. Sadly, as I said, the Devs seem to lack the will to even try.

It saddens me that they won't even consider the option considering they have pets fluff as they are, and arti dogs and wolf pups.

I like your ideas Rdasca and Memnir definitely like what you put down. Familiars could give their masters a slight buff still be able to be attack, most of us who ask for familiars know the risks of having one. So it doesn't make sense not to have a penalty if they die at least to me.

Sadly if what you stated is true Rdasca then I have little hopes that they will change their minds on it, and that makes me sad because there is so much potential there.
    Kalari-Lost Legions resident Drunking Gaming Diva!
    Im not bad Im morally Obtuse...
    *Enter my Den..*/*Live RPG fun on Skype*

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

http://ddowiki.com/page/Friends_of_Nature

Base coding work needed is already there for familiars. And many agree that the PA destiny needs refinement.

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    I think that where there is a will there is a way. And after eight years, Turbine has shown that they have no will in putting Familiars into the game.That being said, I'd still like to see them, as would many/most players who've tried pen and paper D&D.

I've also thought that the idea of a Familiar providing buffs as opposed to an Artificer's mutt or the Druid's wolf would be the way to go. I think they should offer additional spell-power and metamagic buffs rather then things like skill buffs (except maybe Concentration), enhancing saving-throws, or other effects like Water Breathing or Fortification. And I don't think they should ever effect the whole party - just the caster themselves.

I'd like to see a Familiar add benefits to their master like: Insightful Improved <metamagic> I-IV, Insightful Deadly <element + kinetics>, Insightful <element+force+repair> Spellcasting... and so on. Things that would make the caster better at doing what they do best. And these benefits should only be active while the caster has them actively summoned.

And they should still be subject to enemy attacks, as they are in PnP. And with harmful effects to the caster if killed - as in PnP (and Druid and Arty pet death). This would add a risk vs reward aspect to using Familiars. I also don't think that a DDO arcane caster should have the option to have 1 resurrection for their Familiar... rather they are dead till the caster shrines next.

That's how I'd do it. Sadly, as I said, the Devs seem to lack the will to even try.
    Yeah I like your idea Memnir, but I was trying to think of away that require little or no real programing changes.
    I doubt that they [Turbine] would give anything that will make arcanes more powerful directly, my way gives minor buffs and adds them to the whole party if in range.

Though given a free wish your way would be much cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalari View Post
    It saddens me that they won't even consider the option considering they have pets fluff as they are, and arti dogs and wolf pups.

I like your ideas Rdasca and Memnir definitely like what you put down. Familiars could give their masters a slight buff still be able to be attack, most of us who ask for familiars know the risks of having one. So it doesn't make sense not to have a penalty if they die at least to me.

Sadly if what you stated is true Rdasca then I have little hopes that they will change their minds on it, and that makes me sad because there is so much potential there.
    Again agreed, but as I said just trying to think of a way that might get Turbine to change their stance on familiars, one that would not require a huge effort on their part but one that would still be useful. I do not think they will change their stance but I thought I would throw this idea out there.

As far as being true, listen to the interview, I believe it is ProducerGlin that makes the statment about familiars.

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Friends_of_Nature

Base coding work needed is already there for familiars. And many agree that the PA destiny needs refinement.
    Kind of were my base idea came from
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
    I just don't think it's right to make fun of DDO's NPCs. Infractions for everyone!

Community Member

It's almost eerie that I had almost the exact thought a couple days ago...I always thought that familiars should have been a part of the game, but now that pets are here I too was thinking that is perfect groundwork for a familiar. That essentially is exactly what a familiar is plus some beneficial buffs, etc.

I'm totally in agreement here.

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    Well put.

From reading past threads it seemed some of us tought all that effort we have been seeing with pets and hirelings would lead to familiars eventually.
    It was said back when the skellies that they were experiments for future druid companions.
    Then came upgrades to summons and fixes to hirelings, then the arti dog that would definitely hint to the druid.
    And after druid, the cosmetic pet that would very much looks like a familiar minus the functionality.
    It all takes is to mix the cosmetic pet part for the visual and the companion part for the in-game aspect.