Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Karavek View Post
    No actually it IS what D&D is about, entire articles have been written about it in both dungeon and dragon magazines. Its infact considered one of the most important tools for DMs to use to sap the party and keep them off balance. Hell its the way to drop in side quests or story leads for future adventures.

The fact is if YOUR DM never made good use both for story and adventure purposes the classics like getting your group stuck in a storm, on a wrecked ship or broken down caravan, then your only telling me your DM wasnt worth the plastic his dice where made from.

Hell look up the spoon experiment and see his section on counter monkies and vids like never get on the boat, it will explain to you how much a core of D&D tactics for the DM like putting heavy armored players on a boat then having it attacked by a sea monster forcing players to abandon not just ship but their expensive plate armors as well.
    Wait - y'all may be agreeing and are unaware of it - what you just described Karavek is actually adventuring - there was an encounter in your examples. Not walking in "dead air", so to speak... literally "travelling" doth not a fun game make (I just made that up).

No actually it IS what D&D is about
    When you conclusively state what D&D is about like that you pretty much start by making your point meaningless since by its nature its an open game, as it was intended to be by its creators.

entire articles have been written about it in both dungeon and dragon magazines. Its infact considered one of the most important tools for DMs to use to sap the party and keep them off balance. Hell its the way to drop in side quests or story leads for future adventures.

The fact is if YOUR DM never made good use both for story and adventure purposes the classics like getting your group stuck in a storm, on a wrecked ship or broken down caravan, then your only telling me your DM wasnt worth the plastic his dice where made from.
    None of those examples are examples of real travel, they are examples of a DM using the travel as a story mechanic. Up to the point where that storm stuck, the DM text would have been "you travel two days uneventfully at which point..."

The travel is unimportant MOST of the time except as an into to a plot line. It's not like they make you move every 5ft at a time and actually go through the woods (at least not a sane DM).

The travel time in DDO presents none of the advantages you are talking about (surprises during travel that are more than random encounters and actually are the plot line), it just includes the boring run through predictable enounters the DM put along the path you will run repeatedly.

Wilderness areas bigger than GH are too big and are a PITA. (Heck, even the PoP run is problematic for grouping sometimes)

Turbine attempted to add or experimented with adding a "teleport directly to quest" during the lfm update sometime ago... it never worked properly so it's been disabled since.

Default yes this makes perfect sense.

This makes sense to me. *

It also says that we need mounts.

It also points out that mounts will not work in this game. **

*If we have already run the quest.

**A True Dungeons and Dragons game will have mounts. This game can't have mounts because the world we travel in is a box with walls, with no way to travel outside it. This is lame and hurts us and makes us sleep less at night, knowing that we are playing one of the best combat RPGames, yet we cannot fast travel unless we are a caster, and even still teleport is lame, and even recall is just for one spot in the game. It is ridiculous that we cannot make a rune or something that our characters can teleport to a spot we mark in this game. Ultima Online did it best and this game should do the same but it does not.
    It insults the community to think we can never have mounts or a means to fast travel with technology that this game should have in order to compete with other games.

This game is in its death times, sorry to say it, but it is.
    The Blood of the Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    I don't like the idea at all.
    I cannot quantify why, beyond saying it just would feel very wrong somehow.

While I can see the potential for minor time-saving benefits, I would genuinely hate to see this added and feel it would cheapen the DDO experience as a whole.
    because the game and the dev's do not have the foresight nor the means to make it possible. They are lame.

With all do respect Memnir you are tying to hold onto something you and I both have spent 7 to 8 years, (not counting 20 or so years of PNP before DDO!), of our lives trying to like, but hate to admit that this game is going sour and is about to be not worth playing.
    Last edited by Zorth; 04-03-2013 at 03:10 PM.
    The Blood of the Red Dragon

D&D is about travel, wandering, getting lost, and being forced to spend resources prior to the big battle.
    There is already a direct teleport from ES cavern to CitW.
    You suddenly go from a nice looking underground waterfall to the center of Lolth's demonic plane.

I dont think losing a few loading screen is a bad idea.

Twelve tower teleport anyone?

Community Member

In many cases the loading screens are a good portion of the journey time and I can't see that anybody enjoys them.

How about a toned down version of this that doesn't eliminate the value of the areas yet cuts out a lot of travel time:

1) If the quest spawns from in town you can teleport straight to it *IF* you have previously run the quest.

2) If the quest spawns from in a wilderness area you can teleport straight to the quest *IF* you have completed the explorers for the area and thus have the map. If you have run it before but don't have the completed explorers you can teleport but it takes you to the wilderness area, not the quest.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12