Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Magical Training & Cocoon

If you're a melee with too many feats (mainly fighter, lesser extent monk) and are wondering how to self heal... You may want to trade a feat for Magical Training and twist in cocoon.

I did it on a whim when I LR'ed my monk/fighter from Str based to Wis based, and it has been working great. I had half expected that I'd just swap it on another toughness feat after playing with it for a bit, but I'm keeping it. What is really ideal is that Magical training gives you Echos of power, so if you are even below 12 SP, it brings you back to 12, which is the cost of cocoon. It takes only 18 seconds to go from zero to 12, so you can use 3-4 cocoons a minute perpetually.

Not only is the 150 temp HP for 9 seconds useful, but it is a big chunk of healing. As a helf monk, I tend to have decent Healing Amp, but slotting 100 Devotion would accomplish the same healing I get (about 150-200 total). (I carry around a devotion trinket, but don't bother using it that often.) It isn't even just self healing either, I've hit others with it, and unlike most similar tricks, it gives a buffer to Pale Masters who need it (although the healing doesn't work).

It is enough self healing to get me through an EH quest all by itself, and is a nice boost to survivability in EE.

To be honest, I also have Cleric Dilly. Part of me thinks I should switch to Rogue dilly since I can use this for self healing.... but the other part still loves 30 resist wands, restoring neg levels, res scrolls... and I do still use the almighty heal scroll, just far less than I used to.

Earlier today I dealt with the Stormreaver on EH while the rest of the party took down the dragon. I'd hit myself with Cocoon whenever I was about to go Boom, and it kept my HPs at a nice comfortable level with no divine helping me. (Only scary parts were due to someone else getting close enough that I'd get a rebound boom.) Of course, I would then healscroll myself back up.... but without it, I'm sure at least one of those double booms would have gotten me.

In EE I've found it to be very synergistic with heal scrolls. Without Cocoon, when under fire it is very hard to get a Heal scroll to stick even with a monk's concentration. But cocoon/scroll as a 1-2 punch works pretty much every time.

Anyone else ever try this?

If not, perhaps you should. How many toughnesses do you need anyway? I used to keep Healing Spring as a twist instead. And sure, it is great and all, but the only 1 charge and it stops if you die makes cocoon way more useful over an entire quest than Spring.
    Cannith Server :Vice Sovereign of The Guild of Calamitous Intent

Kalener (Monk) Renelak (backup band) Raoull (Mr. McStabby) Kaleray (laser heals) Kalrah (xbow rogue)

Cocoon rocks
    i find myself and others saying "glad im not paying for this ****" vip from ftp beta till 10.9.2012 fix it...fix it Now!

Cool idea! I might have to try this out on Smrti
    Smrti///Warcrye///Dukkha///Nomey///Dhaarmika///Smrtiheals
    Focused Melee Discussion as of U17
    Proud Gimp of Crimson Eagles and now Loreseekers!

You know I have a wf monk with jidz and claw ... Who happens to have a wizard level. I may try this.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

I feel kinda dumb, never thought of equipping a devotion item when casting it
    YouTube Channel HERE
    Argonnessen's DEGENERATE MATTER

Quote Originally Posted by Durnak View Post
    I feel kinda dumb, never thought of equipping a devotion item when casting it
    Says the man who compulsively equips a healing amp stick when he uses a scroll? ;-)

I think even a minor item like a T2 shroud raise clickie w/ devotion would be solid.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    Says the man who compulsively equips a healing amp stick when he uses a scroll? ;-)

I think even a minor item like a T2 shroud raise clickie w/ devotion would be solid.
    heh, exactly!

Just tried it duel wielding my amp stick and a devotion

Starting to wish we could twist a 4th ability in...lol
    YouTube Channel HERE
    Argonnessen's DEGENERATE MATTER

hmmm.... just had a strange thought....

You see a number of 18/2 Pal/Fighter builds running around. Assuming they are taking Quicken or Maximize, a 18/1/1 Pal/Fighter/Wiz seems a better build. Free Magical training for 80 SP and echos (and 12 SP happens to be CSW) all at basically the cost of 6hps and the option of 1 str for 2 AP.....

Plus, you could cast Master's Touch easily (in theory no ASF...) for those Tower shields and have access to some decent high lvl wands (10 min blur or shield)....

Kalener (Monk) Renelak (backup band) Raoull (Mr. McStabby) Kaleray (laser heals) Kalrah (xbow rogue)

Quote Originally Posted by Raoull View Post
    hmmm.... just had a strange thought....

You see a number of 18/2 Pal/Fighter builds running around. Assuming they are taking Quicken or Maximize, a 18/1/1 Pal/Fighter/Wiz seems a better build. Free Magical training for 80 SP and echos (and 12 SP happens to be CSW) all at basically the cost of 6hps and the option of 1 str for 2 AP.....
    Huge fan of the wizard splash. I'm in a rut where I consider to put it on everyone these days.

Plus, you could cast Master's Touch easily (in theory no ASF...) for those Tower shields and have access to some decent high lvl wands (10 min blur or shield)....
    Fighter gives you the first already ;-)

It does help early toons w/ useful capabilities pre-UMD.

Looking at the planner, a T2 shroud item can have one of the devotions (plus the +15 implement) and a raise dead OR stoneskin clickie.

I just got Halcyon Boots on my fighter... boots + Cocoon is working pretty well so far as a supplement to SF pots.

Founder

My human monk 12/paladin 8 (1.3 * 1.3 * 1.1 amp) I think gives 115 or so a tick with rej cocoon using a devotion helm (100), devotion enhancements (60), and amp equip (1.3).

But there are so many good cheap twists on a monk I'm not sure what my goal should be for EE.... I'm thinking rej cocoon, brace for impact, and sense weakness? It is hard giving up dance with flowers and +6 tactics....

I'm starting to wish I'd done some more TRs now so I could swap out Precision for Magical Training. Heal Scrolls are pretty pricey.
    Smrti///Warcrye///Dukkha///Nomey///Dhaarmika///Smrtiheals
    Focused Melee Discussion as of U17
    Proud Gimp of Crimson Eagles and now Loreseekers!

Community Member

On my monk, I wear a EH (not wasting plat or w/e on EE for this) SHamanic trinket thingy and slot in SP: 150 SP//Devotion: 114 = win with cocoon
    Ainevek: 9/6/2 FvS/ranger/paladin (life 2/?) Shinweng: 8/5/2 monk/wizard/paladin (life 4/3?Abaranda: 18/2 FvS/monk (life 7/?) Kevenia: 6 sorcerer (life 2/?)
    Two handed chruchers, Ghallanda

Torc/air greensteel , devotion on Shintao on pure fighter since primal avatar. That's all the healing you need for epic hard and saves some plat for scrolls for ee.
    Ghallanda

Quote Originally Posted by Encair View Post
    Torc/air greensteel , devotion on Shintao on pure fighter since primal avatar. That's all the healing you need for epic hard and saves some plat for scrolls for ee.
    Not 100% on what you're saying here, but you do need base SP for Torc or ConOpp to function - you have a maximum SP of zero by default on non-caster classes and cannot go past that. Of course, you can put SP on the ConOpp item, get it from EDs, have PLs, take Magical Training, slot it in augments, etc.

A nice thing about Halcyon Boots is it's the one item that works with zero maximum SP.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    Not 100% on what you're saying here, but you do need base SP for Torc or ConOpp to function - you have a maximum SP of zero by default on non-caster classes and cannot go past that. Of course, you can put SP on the ConOpp item, get it from EDs, have PLs, take Magical Training, slot it in augments, etc.

A nice thing about Halcyon Boots is it's the one item that works with zero maximum SP.
    Torc also grants wizardy III for 75 sp, and even if you don't normally get a blue bar that gives you one. As a pure melee you'll probably never run out of SP, even with only 75, because the torc will constantly recharge you.

OK.... disregarding my "duh" on the Master's Touch part of my last post... another random thought.

Energy Sheath.

Now to grind my way there.... hadn't bothered leveling my Arcane tree yet on my melee....

Community Member

Yep, I've said it before, any nonbarb melee should be slotting archmagi(item/yellow slot) and twisting this in. Using a feat on Magical Training isn't necessary. Been planning this on my fleshy sorc with Cocoon. Tons of heal amp+devotion=.

1.1ship*1.1item*1.2item*1.3item*1.1human*1.1=2.28

120 devotion fetish
    40 devotion pal enhs
    18 implement
    =178%

17.5 cocoon base*2.78=48.65*2.28=110hp every 2secs along with the 150 shield.
    ME BARB, ME SMA-ok I stand here with pretty blue lines around me. ok I take damage. ok bye.

Community Member

Is it confirmed that you can't cocoon while raged?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast