Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Up for a challenge? - Adventurers wanted!

Hello adventurers of Thelanis!

It's been 15 years when I played my first game online, which was Diablo 1.
    In good memories of it I'm trying to set up a challenge of a ruleset which I loved in D1 - the Ironman. But now - DDo style!

I'm trying to set up a group restricted to the following ruleset:

1. No res shrines. You can only be raised by other party members via ingame abilities. If you die and cannot be raised you have to delete your character.

2. Live off the land. No interaction with town NPCs whatsoever. Only speaking to quest givers and class trainers is allowed. That means
    - no buying anything
    - no repairs!
    - no auctions
    - no town crafting devices
    However quest end rewards can be taken except for mnemonic potions.

3. Quests can only be done on elite and only ONCE. No repetition of any quest.

4. Quests have to be done at level. No party member can be over the quest level.

5. No recalling. Once you started a quest you can only leave it by completing it or as a soul stone.

6. You have to start with a build at level 1, new toons only (32 pt builds are allowed) - if you have veteran status you must skip the ship and go to korthos as lvl 1. The grotto must be skipped, if possible.

7. No store items (obviously). This includes presents granted from turbine (like the birthday box).

8. No ship buffs (obviously).

9. No interaction with other people outside your static group. You can only interact with characters from your static group. No twink gear passing, trading or pugging. Should one party member die or loses interest, your group can still continue without him however.

10. TRing is allowed (if you ever make i that far). You have to get 20 epic tokens though from epic questing, via the ruleset.

11. Failing a quest due to failed objectives (hello coyle) doesn't end the journey. You can recall and have to restart it immeadiatly (no SP restore whatsoever in town).

12. No slacking around in explorer areas. You can kill stuff there, but only what's in the way to a quest entrance.
    XP in explorers should only be farmed for, when there is absolutely no quest left that can advance your group in leveling (which shouldn't be the case on a first lifer).
    Explorers can be done for xp if your character lacks xp compared to the rest of your group to catch up. (VIP bonus xp for example).

13. Taking favor rewards is allowed. Coin lord favor backspace can be baught from plat you find in quests. ame goes for bankspace.

14. The bank can be used.

Hope these rules fit very well for the ironman theme.

So far only one of my guildies seems interested, so hope to find 4 more adventurers here.

Party:
    1. Eth (Clonk)
    2. Brim (Spellsinger Bard)
    3. Fork (Monk)
    4. Haek (Druid/Monk Summoner)
    5. Kazeikan (Wizard)
    6. Dre (Arti)

Voice chat would be great even better if you happen to have teamspeak.
    European timezone would be prefered.

Leave a post here or contat me ingame - toons are in my sig.

Cheers, Eth
    Last edited by Eth; 04-06-2013 at 03:06 PM. Reason: rules
    Thelanis - Ethforged - Etherar - Fjirty --- Mitis Mors
    Ghallanda - Ethrayne - Ethryne --- Omnipresence
    Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKVn...wLuzB2Q/videos

No repairs? So um what do you do with all your broken gear after 5 quests?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitesco View Post
    Oh and honestly, you are all carrying portal beaters on your casters? What on earth are you using it on often enough to clog up your bag with it?
    Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Portals.

Quote Originally Posted by dredre9987 View Post
    No repairs? So um what do you do with all your broken gear after 5 quests?
    Well, you have to think of what valuables you want to use when

Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    {...]

6. No evasion. You can however take classes that grant you the feat, but you have to wear armor that cancels it's effectiveness.

[...]
    Is there a reason for this rule other than to arbitrarily penalize rogues and completely cripple monks (a monk has to wear moderate armor to lose evasion and will thus lose many other class abilities due to not being centered)?

Instead of this you should require every character to wear medium or heavy armor (why just cripple monks if you can do the same to wizards and sorcerers with a single rule), outlaw certain classes, or outlaw multiclassing (my guess is that class x with 2 levels of monk or rogue for evasion was your original reason for this limitation).

Quote Originally Posted by Gizeh View Post
    Is there a reason for this rule other than to arbitrarily penalize rogues and completely cripple monks (a monk has to wear moderate armor to lose evasion and will thus lose many other class abilities due to not being centered)?

Instead of this you should require every character to wear medium or heavy armor (why just cripple monks if you can do the same to wizards and sorcerers with a single rule), outlaw certain classes, or outlaw multiclassing (my guess is that class x with 2 levels of monk or rogue for evasion was your original reason for this limitation).
    Well a guildie wanted this to be included.
    I don't really mind if people have evasion.
    You have a strong point that this is a bit to much for monks, since they lose their centered abilities.
    I might consider to alter this rule, since theres no reason for this as far as the original ironman concept goes.

Selling: Can you sell junk to vendors. It only takes a few quests and looting chests to fill inventory. Or is the key to this idea only looting what you may think useful,a nd leave the rest in chest?

No mnemonics as end reward, but what if they drop in a chest?

Ammo?

Just a few questions on this group and play style.

-Bunk

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bunker View Post
    Selling: Can you sell junk to vendors. It only takes a few quests and looting chests to fill inventory. Or is the key to this idea only looting what you may think useful,a nd leave the rest in chest?

Ammo?

-Bunk
    Why sell? After all no interaction with NPCS save for quest related stuff at all. #2 "no buying anything"

You'll just have to pore the mnemonic down the drain.

Start breaking boxes. No selling no buying per the op. Which would mean that one quiver would be a god send as the rules utterly screw over any form of ranged save maybe a thrower as well. Someone already commented about the monk.

Heck, no casters really either given you can't buy stuff, so no spell components save what are in chests. #2 "no buying anything"

I just noticed something else: with rule 2 (no buying or repairing items) in place the entire party must at all times be willing and able to provide fresh medium or heavy armor for a rogue in the party, as he is not allowed to have evasion but at the same time cannot go to a vendor and buy a set of armor to ensure this. Does this mean that the party needs to have enough sets of medium and heavy armor at all times to ensure this, even if it means that fighters and paladins cannot wear them?

I just noticed something else: with rule 2 (no buying or repairing items) in place the entire party must at all times be willing and able to provide fresh medium or heavy armor for a rogue in the party, as he is not allowed to have evasion but at the same time cannot go to a vendor and buy a set of armor to ensure this. Does this mean that the party needs to have enough sets of medium and heavy armor at all times to ensure this, even if it means that fighters and paladins cannot wear them?
    Heh y right, I scratch that evasion rule

Ammo?

-Bunk
    For permanent pew pew your only real options are artificer or AA.
    As a spellcaster there won't be a way around eschew materials.

Mnemonic in chests are fine.

In general item/inventory management is a big part of this.

I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to use the bank though. In D1 ironman it was allowed to just throw all the stuff in town and pick it up later.
    I'll think about that.
    Last edited by Eth; 04-01-2013 at 09:09 PM.

Components?

I understand, no buying anything. So any class that uses components, Wizard Sorcerer FvS Cleric Ranger Paladin Aritificer ect ect ect.....are kind of only 1/2 a class, or in a sorc/wiz case, 1/4 class?

I like the idea, but unless you want a cleric that can only heal and a bunch of melee cruising about.......

Have you ever played PD with a PD guild and thier rule set?

-Bunk

Components?

I understand, no buying anything. So any class that uses components, Wizard Sorcerer FvS Cleric Ranger Paladin Aritificer ect ect ect.....are kind of only 1/2 a class, or in a sorc/wiz case, 1/4 class?

I like the idea, but unless you want a cleric that can only heal and a bunch of melee cruising about.......

Have you ever played PD with a PD guild and thier rule set?

-Bunk
    As mentioned - as a caster your best bet is the eschew materials feat. They aren't completely screwed in this regard.
    You can still use whatever materials you find though and probably use them where you want to max your SP useage with the feat deactivated.
    Last edited by Eth; 04-01-2013 at 09:18 PM.

Just means the rogue is naked. Dont' forget, no buying of tools. But that never has been a problem really.

If you want to be kept clothed by others, I suggest making an dwarf or half orc.

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    Just means the rogue is naked. Dont' forget, no buying of tools. But that never has been a problem really.

If you want to be kept clothed by others, I suggest making an dwarf or half orc.
    Can't really see tools to be a problem. You start with 50 in the appropriate class and a team of 4-6 players shouldn't have problems with pulling some inbetween 50 uses.

lol at the dwarf/horc comment. Edited that rule anyways.
    But nekkid dwarfs are probably common in the early levels :P

lol at the dwarf/horc comment. Edited that rule anyways.
    But nekkid dwarfs are probably common in the early levels :P
    Or shroud/ts runs.

Community Member

I'd be interested in doing this, have lost interest in ddo over the last couple weeks, but this sounds like a lot of fun. Thelanis is not my home server but that hardly matters for this :P have voice chat but not always, but can hear 24/7. Also not in euro time zone but I'm free anytime basically.

Played hardcore in diablo 2 for years so this is nothing new to me

Rule#9, can you trade among yourselves? Example passing an end reward to someone

I probably won't last too long for this, my laptop will kill me, but I want to go for it!

Also seems the rules have been changed a bit, evasion and multi classing is allowed correct?

What happens in the situation of a lagg wipe? Or deaths from whole party lagging. I'd assume it's treated as a dead quest and you're allowed to continue? If not I may not be interested :P
    Last edited by fork_aka_spoon; 04-01-2013 at 10:56 PM.
    Orien server: Forking, Completionist, life 21 of ???

Quote Originally Posted by fork_aka_spoon View Post
    I'd be interested in doing this, have lost interest in ddo over the last couple weeks, but this sounds like a lot of fun. Thelanis is not my home server but that hardly matters for this :P have voice chat but not always, but can hear 24/7. Also not in euro time zone but I'm free anytime basically.

Played hardcore in diablo 2 for years so this is nothing new to me

Rule#9, can you trade among yourselves? Example passing an end reward to someone

I probably won't last too long for this, my laptop will kill me, but I want to go for it!

Also seems the rules have been changed a bit, evasion and multi classing is allowed correct?

What happens in the situation of a lagg wipe? Or deaths from whole party lagging. I'd assume it's treated as a dead quest and you're allowed to continue? If not I may not be interested :P
    Sounds great. I'll put you in and keep you updated via pm if we get something together
    To answer your questions:
    - passing items to other teammembers is highly encouraged and a big part of this
    - yes, I changed some rules after my initial post since some good points where made
    - if a death/wipe happens due to lag it's up to the party to decide. if it was an unavoidable death then yes I think it's fine to rerun. But you shouldn't bend the rules ofc. If you died through a mistake you can't blame the lag monster
    Last edited by Eth; 04-02-2013 at 12:11 AM.

Community Member

Sounds great. I'll put you in and keep you updated via pm if we get something together
    To answer your questions:
    - passing items to other teammembers is highly encouraged and a big part of this
    - yes, I changed some rules after my initial post since some good points where made
    - if a death/wipe happens due to lag it's up to the party to decide. if it was an unavoidable death then yes I think it's fine to rerun. But you shouldn't bend the rules ofc. If you died through a mistake you can't blame the lag monster
    Ok sounds good, and I'll be making sure to play a lot more safe than I usually do
    Orien server: Forking, Completionist, life 21 of ???

Eth arent you leading the deathgame atm? Or was it Meph :P

Well i guess i come along too, might be a change for a while playing together as a team instead trying to kill each other along the way
    Haek N' Slay (©ompletionist Juggernaut / Zeus Life 61 of 61)My Toon is better than your toon.Mitis Mors - Thelanis

Double Post ftw
    Last edited by Lurzifer; 04-02-2013 at 02:57 AM.
    Haek N' Slay (©ompletionist Juggernaut / Zeus Life 61 of 61)My Toon is better than your toon.Mitis Mors - Thelanis

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast