Community Member

Default Druid guidance please!!!

If I equip weapons I am not proficient in and then change to wolf form, do I still get the -4 non proficiency penalty?

If am using wolf form, do the 2 weapon fighting feats give me any benefit?

How exactly do the weapons (and shields?) I am holding add to my wolf form attack?

Thanks in advance.

The prof penalty is no longer -4 but a flat -20%, you get no benefit from twf or thf feats as a druid in animal form, but at lvl 9 you can take up to 3 natural fighting feats. You get the benefit of mainhand weapon procs ie holy ext but on the shield you only get benefits such as seeker ext benefits such as holy will not proc. You also can get the benefit of tod rings when in wolf form but I believe only if you are using a ki weapon before you shift. Because of this a lot of wolf dps builds splash on a healthy splash of monk to up damage and to get stunning fist which works in wolf form. Hope this helps.

Community Member

Thanks.

What is my off hand is a weapon?

If I had +2 frost sickle in my main hand and a +1 shock sickle in my off hand, is my wolf bite attack then...

Bite +2 + frost + shock?

Also, any idea if my wolf bite sneak attack die stacks or does not stack with my half elf rogue dilletante sneak attack die?

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ishkunfana View Post
    If I equip weapons I am not proficient in and then change to wolf form, do I still get the -4 non proficiency penalty?
    Nope.
    If am using wolf form, do the 2 weapon fighting feats give me any benefit?
    Nope; neither do THF. Only the Shield Mastery & Natural Fighting feats do.
    How exactly do the weapons (and shields?) I am holding add to my wolf form attack?
    Main hand: base dmg & crit profile are determined by your animal form; all bonuses & dmg effects from this weapon carry over (i.e., Flaming, Maiming, etc.), except maybe Keen / Impact - not sure what if any effect those have.

Offhand: direct dmg effects like Flaming do NOT carry over, but secondary bonuses do (e.g., Seeker, Vertigo, etc.). If using a shield & Shield Mastery feats, the PRR & doublestrike bonuses carry over; however the Intim bonuses with shields do not. [Which bums out my would-be hate-tank bear druid. ]

So basically you pick your mainhand weapon based on DPS effects (bearing in mind it doesn't matter what the weapon is, just what effects it has); while you pick your offhand (weapon or shield) based on secondary bonuses. If playing a Drunk (druid / monk) and you want to be centered, you have to equip ki weapons even in animal form.

One other point: apparently the +[W] bonus from Shillelagh carries over into animal-form if you've got a wooden weapon equipped in your mainhand.

Community Member

Thank you for the information.

I will need to make some adjustments.

Community Member

Point of randomness.
    I do have the option to make this into an AA since it is a helf, but I don't think I'd have the feats for it.

Anyone ever seen anyone try it?

or Is the idea so awful that everyone knows it would be horrible?

Community Member

Point of randomness.
    I do have the option to make this into an AA since it is a helf, but I don't think I'd have the feats for it.

Anyone ever seen anyone try it?

or Is the idea so awful that everyone knows it would be horrible?
    Hiya, a guy in my guild has a druid AA seems to work decently.
    Check in classes someone asked for a FleshyAA Juggernot build so I quickly built one (there could be some mistakes) and it is tight on feats. I have used a 16Druid/2mnk/2Fighter or Ranger as the base template for it, have a look under multiclasses in the class forums.

Heres a link:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...20#post4968720
    Last edited by CoasterHops; 04-03-2013 at 03:54 AM.
    Toons:
    Smallmans Syndrome, Rovac, Dragnipur, Prettyhater Machine, Lubed, Castinfist
    Emmpeethree, Hyperkill Hyperthrill and Greyvegas (All on Khyber)

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

I've come up with a couple of druid AA builds. One is a Drunkcher: druid 13 / monk 6 / wiz 1; the other takes rgr 6 instead of monk. Nature's Warrior provides Fatal Harrier (which works w/ranged atks), lvl 7 spells, and water elemental form for the boost to ice dmg (for boss fights: Freezing Spray -> Gtr Creeping Cold -> Creeping Cold -> Manyshot w/icy-burst bow). The main drawback is both builds are tight on feats (the only meta I squeeze in is Maximize, at least at heroic levels) and stopping at druid 13 means no Heal spell (but you do get Rejuvenate); but taking extra druid lvls means giving up feats and (in the case of the Drunkcher) 10K Stars.

Caveat: so far this is all just theory-crafting on my part; but I think it's possible to make a fairly versatile druid-based AA. You have to plan for it in advance, though, not just slap it in there willy-nilly and hope it all works out.